Be a Supporter!

2010 Fifa World Cup Thread

• 3,206 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
<deleted>
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 09:30 AM Reply

Psyched for the second round! England-Germany is tensing up. It could seriously go any way I think. Good luck to the American fans - I can't really make a prediction on that game either.

At 6/26/10 08:31 AM, Gagsy wrote: Anyway I'm still looking forward to it. Got to love playing the 'old enemy'. There is just something 'romantic' about England vs Germany, and considering our history together I tend to think we're all quite nice about it. Besides having a few laughs of course..

Yeah, from what I've seen and heard, the England-Germany rivalry is really more of an in-joke to football fans, because the cores of both fan bases just love the football and the humour that goes along side it. Of course, everyone gets passionate about it, but it's hardly angry in the majority of cases. It's a gentlemanly relationship, often with lots of beer involved. My Dad described the atmosphere inside and outside the arena during a UEFA Cup Bolton-Bayern Munich game (which Bolton won 2-2) as one of the best he's known, and the lamer chants were shot down by the Bolton fans themselves.

Wait, no! I was doing us all a favour!

klaxon

reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 10:10 AM Reply

Hmm the Korean defenders were just standing there expecting the ball to dance out... oops.
1-0 Uruguay

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature
Sir-Nuts
Sir-Nuts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 10:11 AM Reply

YES! 1-0 Uruguay!

Although this goal was plain foolery in Korea's defence. They simply let the ball pass by, just staring at it, while Suárez was standing there all alone! Also, nice perseverance play by Forlan.

This promises to get even better! :)

Ismael92
Ismael92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 10:49 AM Reply

WTF? After Maximiliano Pereira shot, a Korean defender clearly touched the ball with his arm >:(

<deleted>
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 10:50 AM Reply

Half time: Uruguay 1, South Korea 0.

Not a bad game so far. As others have said above, the goal was well developed with some good play between Forlan and Suarez, but it was ultimately down to defensive and goalkeeping blunders. It's somewat clear that the central defense is where SK's weakness is. SK have a quick-paced attack, but it's largely been all bark and no bite so far - there's not much in the way of concluding what they're doing. They've managed to keep it up, but when Uruguay get some breathing space, they become dangerous. A controversial not-handball call in favour of SK should provide some food for thought.

SK will be wanting to maintain these tactics methinks, to draw on their set piece skill.

LinkSilvermane
LinkSilvermane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 11:02 AM Reply

At 6/26/10 10:56 AM, Ejit wrote: A "psychic" octopus is said by its aquarium owners to have predicted the country's football team will knock England out of the World Cup.

I'm somehow strongly reminded of South Park. Don't ask me why, I've no clue.

Pure awesomeness. You must read it.

(God-like signature by Zeppekk)

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 11:03 AM Reply

What a huge mistake by the Korean defenders and goalkeeper at that goal. You can't permit to make mistakes like that in the knock-out phase.

Good finish by Suarez by the way. Yes, it was at an open goal, but at a fairly difficult angle and he had to shoot at once. I believe it was a slightly bouncing pass too, so it's more difficult than it looks to score such a goal.

Anyway, this match can still go anywhere, but I expect Uruguay to win.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 11:23 AM Reply

Korea equalizer!

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 11:24 AM Reply

Goal South-Korea!!!

The defender and goalie didn't look too good there. Would be nice if this game ended up in a penalty shoot-out (I love penalty shoot-outs).

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 11:25 AM Reply

Nothing beats flicking over from watching some great tennis to watching a free kick that results into a goal.

I'm glad they scored.

Come on South Korea!

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
RohantheBarbarian
RohantheBarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 11:33 AM Reply

What a shocker from Suarez, possibly a candidate for miss of the tournament to rival the sitter Yakubu missed. I know that he rushed it because he perhaps thought he was offside, but that shouldn't be an excuse, basic rule of thumb is play to the whistle. He had ample time and space to control the ball and bury it, but he fluffed it.

Also I don't see why Forlan is taking the Uruguayan corners, after all of anyone in their squad you'd think he should be in the box being a threat.

HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 11:36 AM Reply

WHAT A GOAL
Superb shot.

PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 11:36 AM Reply

fucking marvelous goal, Suarez.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 11:37 AM Reply

At 6/26/10 11:36 AM, Ejit wrote:
At 6/26/10 11:33 AM, RohantheBarbarian wrote: What a shocker from Suarez,
quite made up for it i feel

Lol. Just a little.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
RohantheBarbarian
RohantheBarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 11:38 AM Reply

From a miss of the tournament to possible goal of the tournament, I take it all back, Suarez completely and utterly made up for that miss and more, WHAT A GOAL!!!

I've a soft spot for both teams so whatever the result I'll be a bit disappointed, now SK have 10 minutes to give themselves a chance...

Secretly hoping for penalties...
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff

2-1 Uruguay!

Great goal by Luis Suarez. He didn't play that well in the first two games, but he's starting to play better and better.

With that, I think Uruguay might have one of the most dangerous striker-duo's of the tournament.

BBS Signature
Rory
Rory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate

You know, for a while I thought that I was fitting in with the real men of football, I do not anymore.

Dean: Rorys parents didn't give him dancing lessons. That much is obvious.
There are many things I regret, one of them Is asking the above buckfast swilling prick for a sig.

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 11:39 AM Reply

That was quite possibly one of the greatest twists of the tournament so far. Good work Suarez and Uruguay, 2-1. Again, Suarez was left too open by the defenders.

As much as I speak quite highly of South Korea, they'll struggle greatly to try and harvest something now.

Also, look at the state of the pitch!

No Strongbow for you, groundsman.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 11:43 AM Reply

At 6/26/10 11:39 AM, Scarab wrote: Also, look at the state of the pitch!

No Strongbow for you, groundsman.

Yeah I noticed that in round 3 of the group stage the pitches were starting to look pretty bad and apparently it is only getting worse as the tournament progresses.

Maybe the African climate isn't that suitable for grass fields.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 11:51 AM Reply

It's over, Uruguay won.

I don't like to see South-Korea leave, but I wouldn't like to see Uruguay leave at this stage either. I think Uruguay deserved the win, and I can see them getting all the way to the semi-finals if they keep playing like this. Maybe even make the final.

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 12:04 PM Reply

YAY! URUGUAY!

At 6/26/10 09:30 AM, Scarab wrote: Yeah, from what I've seen and heard, the England-Germany rivalry is really more of an in-joke to football fans, because the cores of both fan bases just love the football and the humour that goes along side it.

Yes. Too bad the english don't have any sense of humour whatsoever. :P

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Rory
Rory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 12:07 PM Reply

At 6/26/10 12:04 PM, Haggard wrote: Yes. Too bad the english don't have any sense of humour whatsoever. :P

I'm sorry, but What!?

There are many things I regret, one of them Is asking the above buckfast swilling prick for a sig.

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 12:13 PM Reply

At 6/26/10 12:07 PM, rorypearce94 wrote:
At 6/26/10 12:04 PM, Haggard wrote: Yes. Too bad the english don't have any sense of humour whatsoever. :P
I'm sorry, but What!?

Every time England plays against Germany it's the same old "the enemy" and "the germs" and "the nazis" and "don't mention the war". Those things where old 30 years ago already.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Rory
Rory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 12:16 PM Reply

At 6/26/10 12:13 PM, Haggard wrote: Every time England plays against Germany it's the same old "the enemy" and "the germs" and "the nazis" and "don't mention the war". Those things where old 30 years ago already.

Yes and of course making old jokes=no sense of humor. Bravo

BBS Signature
Ismael92
Ismael92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 12:18 PM Reply

I don't why we waited for Korea to score before making the first substitution. Uruguay was very weak for about 15 minutes and we did nothing, S. Korea deserved to score. Fortunately Suarez scored an amazing goal, and Uruguay ended up winning :D

<deleted>
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 12:50 PM Reply

At 6/26/10 12:13 PM, Haggard wrote: Every time England plays against Germany it's the same old "the enemy" and "the germs" and "the nazis" and "don't mention the war". Those things where old 30 years ago already.

Although in all fairness, 'don't mention the war' is more of a self-mocking reference to Fawlty Towers more than anything else. Watching John Cleese being silly is practically requirement to obtain citizenship here.

You guys have that New Years' film, so it works out!

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 01:17 PM Reply

At 6/26/10 12:50 PM, Scarab wrote:
Although in all fairness, 'don't mention the war' is more of a self-mocking reference to Fawlty Towers more than anything else.

To be fair, I never watched Fawlty Towers (I just didn't like it back then, even though I'm a big fan of Monty Python!), but the joke is still old. ^^

You guys have that New Years' film, so it works out!

You mean "Dinner for one"? Yeah, for some reason it was never big in other countries.

Anyway, can't wait for USA - Ghana later this evening. I really don't know who I should root for in this match. On the one hand the US team is pretty strong this year and they deserve to advance to the quarter finals.
On the other hand I always liked the team of Ghana and I want them to perform well...

<deleted>
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 01:46 PM Reply

At 6/26/10 01:17 PM, Haggard wrote: To be fair, I never watched Fawlty Towers (I just didn't like it back then, even though I'm a big fan of Monty Python!), but the joke is still old. ^^

Monty Python can work just as well for this!

Guess what the first thing to jump into my head is when I see English football fans dressed as knights?

But yeah, you're right essentially.

You mean "Dinner for one"? Yeah, for some reason it was never big in other countries.

That's the one. I've seen clips of it, but I don't think it's ever been shown in full on TV here. In fitting fashion, when my Dad had a recent job in Dusseldorf, one of the guys there started talking about it with him. 'It's really funny!' he said, 'Okay then.' my Dad replied.

Anyway, can't wait for USA - Ghana later this evening. I really don't know who I should root for in this match. On the one hand the US team is pretty strong this year and they deserve to advance to the quarter finals.
On the other hand I always liked the team of Ghana and I want them to perform well...

I'm in a similar mindset. I think the American team has surprised quite a couple. It was always the mild assumption that they'd make it out of the group, but I don't think many thought they were going to wind up appreciating the side that greatly before the tournament started, at least here amongst the vocal British football fans. Their performance against Slovenia in particular showed that they actually have a strong, recuperating side. I'd like to see them do well, maybe just to impress casual viewers on all sides.

But yeah, again, it's a shame that Ghana are the only African side to have made it through, and the great support they have from everywhere will be bright tonight. They've also impressed many, especially in their attack efforts - their game with Germany was more exciting and close than I had imagined beforehand. Individual players, Gyan, Boateng, Asamoah, etc. show some real effort and should be given some thumbs-up.

So no, I don't know. I'm not even sure who the underdog is supposed to be, so I can't just take that usually-easy way out.

Should be good :D

ProffesorCrumpets
ProffesorCrumpets
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 02:07 PM Reply

Not long to go now, final predictions people! I'm sticking with a 1-1 draw and Ghana victory on pens

mystro
mystro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 02:15 PM Reply

At 6/26/10 12:07 PM, rorypearce94 wrote:
Every time Ent Germany it's the same old "the enemy" and "the germs" and "the nazis" and "don't mention the war". Those things where old 30 years ago already.

Two World Wars

One World Cup