New Topic Respond to this Topic
LinkSilvermane
LinkSilvermane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 02:06 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 01:43 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: knowing north korea they will probably put the players in labor camps.

I keep sayin'...there's a REASON why several players "disappeared" during the tournament.

Sad thing is, I doubt they even had the chance to tell their families that they were planning on running for it, if and when they got the chance. 'cause if they did, the relatives would probably be considered accomplices.

Pure awesomeness. You must read it.

(God-like signature by Zeppekk)

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Programmer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 02:16 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 02:06 PM, LinkSilvermane wrote:
At 6/25/10 01:43 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: knowing north korea they will probably put the players in labor camps.
I keep sayin'...there's a REASON why several players "disappeared" during the tournament.

true.

Sad thing is, I doubt they even had the chance to tell their families that they were planning on running for it, if and when they got the chance. 'cause if they did, the relatives would probably be considered accomplices.

if your accused and convitcted of something in North Korea not only you but your Whole FAMILY are sent to labor camps.

C-Hawk
C-Hawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 02:23 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 11:24 AM, Auz wrote: I never understood why politicians care so much about football. I heard either in Italy or France the government was actually having discussions about their national teams WC performance. And of course there was that one time where Sarkozy apologized to the prime minister of Ireland about Henry's hand ball. It's quite ridiculous in my opinion.

I can perhaps best explain this by comparing and contrasting with the US.
Imagine that all the importances of the NBA, NFL, MLB and NHL were merged into one single sport. Let's call it "Icefootbasketbatball". The US would have one and only one major sport, and all other sports would be, at best, marginally important ('cause you totally know more than 3 tennis players by first and last name, for example). It's quite easy to see how much of an incredibly powerful political tool this one-sport can be in countries that don't quite give a flying fuck about any other sport. In these countries, football moves the masses just about as much as religion does in the US right now.
This becomes visible even in countries with a few other minor sports, like the Commonwealth with cricket and rugby.
Speaking for my own country, the ranking of importance of sports goes:
1) Football;
2) Indoor football;
3) Beach football;
4) all those other things we see on TV.
It also helps a lot that the vast majority of countries on the planet have football as their #1 sport.

LinkSilvermane
LinkSilvermane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 02:30 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 02:23 PM, C-Hawk wrote: stuff

This. Public interest, multiple tournaments per year, teams owned by prominent politicians (in my case, the president)...

...cash, cash, cash. Approval, approval, approval.

All of this of course can tend to get out of hand (for example, from what I understand, NFL teams have a fixed limit of money they can spend on buying new players. Not so in Italian soccer...so whichever team happens to be owned by a rich tycoon is allowed to spend A FUCKLOAD of cash on all-star players, leaving the rest of the poorer teams well out of their league. Such would be the case of Inter, Milan and Juventus, for example.)

Pure awesomeness. You must read it.

(God-like signature by Zeppekk)

BBS Signature
C-Hawk
C-Hawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 02:51 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 02:30 PM, LinkSilvermane wrote:
At 6/25/10 02:23 PM, C-Hawk wrote: stuff
multiple tournaments per year

Also, this. As far as i know, US sports each have one big "thing", Superbowl, Playoffs, Stanley Cup, """World""" Series, etc.
Football has domestic club league, domestic club cup, domestic club tournament, continental club cup, continental club tournament, world club tournament (finally, after almost a century of wordwide sport), international continental tournament and worldwide tournament.
Each one of these is just as "huge" in importance as a superbowl to whatever clubs\nations are involved.

HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 02:54 PM Reply

Wow...epic goal is epic.

ELITE-101
ELITE-101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 02:54 PM Reply

1-0 spain

in your bbs, killin your threads
the more you hate it, the stronger it gets

BBS Signature
reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Movie Buff
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 02:56 PM Reply

What was the Chilean keeper thinking coming out like that? It cost them big time.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature
CBLStaffer
CBLStaffer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 02:58 PM Reply

look like Spain might win this...but it could also be a tie tho (most likely)

Hook 'Em Horns !!
\m/

C-Hawk
C-Hawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 03:03 PM Reply

Argh, i hate when i just posted and i remember something else to add to my point, so, sorry for triplepost.
Another big thing is that our teams actually represent the place they're from. Ours don't "move". Like the Lakers, in LA where there are no lakes, or the Oilers, who moved to where there is no oil. You can buy a football player, but "Manchester United" will never be "London United", AC Milano will never be AC Roma, L'Olympique Lyonnais will never be L'Olympique Marsellaise. Just about any town with more than a thousand people has a football team to represent them, which you can be 100% sure will never leave. I was born in Praia da Vitória, and i'll always support my Praiense above all other teams. I now live in São Miguel, and have a sweet spot for União Micaelense as well. At a top tier level, i support FC Porto because Porto city has a lot in common with the place where i'm from.
A New Yorker supports the Yankees or the Giants or the Rangers or the Knicks, but who's to say in a few years it won't be the Tokyo Yankees?
A football team represents more than the monetary interests of its owner. It represents a place and a people, and it represents them in a way that is real and transcends the rhetorical speech of a player who's just won and was recently transferred in and is trying to gain the support of the fans by saying "BOSTON FANS ARE THE BEST FANS IN THE WORLD! WOO!"
Ask Quaresma who he is and he'll tell you, he's a gypsy and damn proud of it, he'll never forget where he came from. Ask Ronaldo and he'll tell you, he's an islander and damn proud of it, he'll never forget where he came from.
An NBA superstar comes from his hotel room.

HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 03:06 PM Reply

They didn't get the penalty, but they got the goal..and why is the ref holding a red card?

ToddM
ToddM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Movie Buff
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 03:07 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 03:03 PM, C-Hawk wrote

It is not that big of a deal. So what if teams can move it is there right and another team will be fonded and takes its place in the city.

Well we were dumb enough to think it was gonna happen.

BBS Signature
PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 03:09 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 03:06 PM, HeavyTank wrote: They didn't get the penalty, but they got the goal..and why is the ref holding a red card?

because Torres acted like Ronaldo and simulated (badly, mind you) a foul and that got one of Chile's players expelled.
fuck you Torres.

Ismael92
Ismael92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 03:09 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 03:06 PM, HeavyTank wrote: They didn't get the penalty, but they got the goal..and why is the ref holding a red card?

The Chilean player was sent off because he got two yellow cards :/

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 03:11 PM Reply

Alright.

I understand that football is important to a lot of people in countries across Europe, but I just can not imagine what a coach or captain of a team is supposed to say to a prime minister. "Yes, sorry we lost, we'll try harder next time". I don't really see the point in such a conversation, other than hoping to satisfy/please the Italian and French people who were angry and disappointed with their teams.

Maybe the Italian government can put restrictions on the Serie A clubs, that they have to put more talented Italian players on the field and keep foreign players out, but I don't know if that would really help. Italian clubs would get a serious disadvantage against other European teams that way so...

I don't know, I just don't think the government should spent much time on it and try to meddle with it when they probably don't really know much about it.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 15 March 2014)

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 03:12 PM Reply

That was crazy. It was a great finish to the goal, and it shows that Spanish side aren't exactly going to fall apart like some were pondering. The TV though, kept focus on the celebration. I didn't even see the cards being given, but when the camera moved its area of attention to the incident, the ref seemed to get his cards out... and put them back in his pocket again. Then the commentators stumble and tell us he was sent off! Tough break for Chile, I hope they go through myself. Switzerland were defensive and frankly, unentertaining. Chile-Portugal, for me, would be more appetising. Let's hope Chile keep the closeness in mind.

HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 03:12 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 03:09 PM, Ismael92 wrote: The Chilean player was sent off because he got two yellow cards :/

Good decision by the ref...now Chile is in deep, deep shit.
I smell raep in the second half.

C-Hawk
C-Hawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 03:16 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 03:07 PM, ToddM wrote: It is not that big of a deal. So what if teams can move it is there right and another team will be fonded and takes its place in the city.

It is a big deal in football. A football club's president doesn't have that right, at least not morally or ethically, and that's what sets football apart. How many US players have you ever heard or read say "i was born in this town and this is where i'm from, so i'll play for this town and club as i always have until i can't play any more, and on that day i'll get a staff job here, even if it has to be scraping bubble gum from the stands with a butter knife until i'm 80 years old and die"?

- Nuno Sociedade, about Sport Clube Santa Clara

There is still true passion for the sport and the hometown in football, which makes it an enormous deal.

PWJP
PWJP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 03:20 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 03:12 PM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 6/25/10 03:09 PM, Ismael92 wrote: The Chilean player was sent off because he got two yellow cards :/
Good decision by the ref...now Chile is in deep, deep shit.
I smell raep in the second half.

it would be good IF there was ACTUALLY a foul. Torres just tripped on the goddamn field.

ToddM
ToddM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Movie Buff
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 03:21 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 03:16 PM, C-Hawk wrote:
There is still true passion for the sport and the hometown in football, which makes it an enormous deal.

Some people that I know who went to my high school and turned pro are happy that they do not have return to there hometown and there is not enough talent in any sport where I live.

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Writer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 03:26 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 03:03 PM, C-Hawk wrote: A football team represents more than the monetary interests of its owner. It represents a place and a people, [...]

You know, I respect your views and I also share them, but sadly football becomes more and more like US Sports. Just take a look at ManU for example where fans founded the "FC United of Manchester" because they are unhappy with how the club is run.
Or ManCity: A sheik as owner who just pumps money into the club so they can buy all the expensive players (and still they end up only 4th in the premier league. Not a good result compared to how much money they spent...).
Same thing with Chelsea, etc. .

At 6/25/10 03:20 PM, portalwarpedJP wrote: it would be good IF there was ACTUALLY a foul. Torres just tripped on the goddamn field.

Torres was hit in the heel by that Chilean player by accident. But hardly a reason to act like he's been shot.

On the other hand, the Chilean was literally screaming to be sent off the pitch.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

C-Hawk
C-Hawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 03:35 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 03:26 PM, Haggard wrote:
At 6/25/10 03:03 PM, C-Hawk wrote: A football team represents more than the monetary interests of its owner. It represents a place and a people, [...]
Just take a look at ManU for example where fans founded the "FC United of Manchester" because they are unhappy with how the club is run.

Mismanagement and dubious sources of income are one thing, but i still think we're a loooooong way from "Lokomotiv Cairo" or "Real Moscow". Spawning more than one team per town is pretty common, but i don't think that (other than Dallas FC moving out of San José, again in the US) there's ever been a football team that was bought and moved.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 03:37 PM Reply

Chile just scored.

Nice goal, although they were lucky the shot got deflected. But what an incredible amount of space that Chilean offender had.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 15 March 2014)

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Writer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 03:37 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 03:35 PM, C-Hawk wrote: Mismanagement and dubious sources of income are one thing, but i still think we're a loooooong way from "Lokomotiv Cairo" or "Real Moscow". Spawning more than one team per town is pretty common, but i don't think that (other than Dallas FC moving out of San José, again in the US) there's ever been a football team that was bought and moved.

Maybe not moved, but bought? Oh yes, that has happened.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

ToddM
ToddM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Movie Buff
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 03:41 PM Reply

per town is pretty common, but i don't think that (other than Dallas FC moving out of San José, again in the US) there's ever been a football team that was bought and moved.

Milton Keynes from Wimbledon, Livingston from Edinburgh.

BBS Signature
C-Hawk
C-Hawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 03:48 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 03:37 PM, Haggard wrote: Maybe not moved, but bought? Oh yes, that has happened.

Ah yes, forgot about them. They also own NYC's FC. Which brings up another issue: WAY too much advertising, franchising, merchandising, marketing, labelling, branding, and other assorted neologisms for barefaced profiteering in not only US sports, but just about everything west of the Atlantic. Mexican and Argentinian football matches are the only ones where i remember watching an in-game commercial, like a banner ad, WITH AUDIO, nonetheless.
When you eliminate things like naming a stadium "The Coca-Cola Center" (i know, might have happened here or there in Europe, but nowhere near as prevalent as in the US), the "adidas PLAY OF THE MATCH", the "Sony CORNER KICK", the "Subway SUBSTITUTION", and leave a sport to its raw essence, you tend to take it a lot more seriously. Specially when compared to a NASCAR driver racing in a car sponsored by Tide.
Tide.
Has oh-so-much to do with driving, doesn't it? Like NASCAR doesn't have enough credibility issues.
In fact, i vividly remember a Porto striker getting into some serious trouble about a t-shirt he wore under his kit jersey to advertise a soft drink. And i agree with that, suspend him for a few matches, there's already enough advertising from those sideline boards and on the club kits. Keep the sport pure, or at least as pure as possible. This comes from legislation on a federation level, so it is fair, all the clubs get the same amount of advertising opportunities. The federation says what's OK and what's not.
To tie it all up with my initial point, keeping the sport pure means it gets taken seriously, and it's a lot easier to listen to a player who doesn't mention his sponsorship in the interview.

HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 04:20 PM Reply

Bah..the second half was nothing like the first one, both teams were basically wasting time on purpose...
Oh well, so now it's Spain vs Portugal and Chile vs Brazil.
Lol.

C-Hawk
C-Hawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 04:23 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 04:20 PM, HeavyTank wrote: Bah..the second half was nothing like the first one, both teams were basically wasting time on purpose...

Yeah, once both teams in a match realize they're through, they pretty much park the bus and play like Italy until it's all over. (except with less theatrics)

Oh well, so now it's Spain vs Portugal and Chile vs Brazil.

Battle of the Empires... Spain vs Portugal should be more fun to watch, though.

HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 04:26 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 04:23 PM, C-Hawk wrote: Yeah, once both teams in a match realize they're through, they pretty much park the bus and play like Italy until it's all over. (except with less theatrics)

It's sad, but at the same time I kinda understand that they want to be sure that they'll pass without any unpleasant surprises...
At least from now on everyone will be going for the win.

Battle of the Empires... Spain vs Portugal should be more fun to watch, though.

Well yeah, Chile has a good team, but...eh.Then again, you never know.

C-Hawk
C-Hawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 04:33 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 04:26 PM, HeavyTank wrote: At least from now on everyone will be going for the win.

Yessssssssssssssss fucking love knock-out stages in tournaments, it's like "alright, gloves off, time for some blood". If anyone has said the words "this is what the World Cup is all about" in the past few days, swallow those words, 'cause "what it's all about" starts now.
Guidance for US users: none of that "seven game match-up" bullcrap you're probably used to. In football, playoffs are one game per match-up. If tied, extra time. If still tied, penalty shootout.