00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Genre Mod Crew

39,912 Views | 376 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-07-28 21:55:10

At 7/28/11 02:25 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 7/28/11 12:42 PM, RogerBK wrote: Nice, nice. Just one (stupid) question Tom. When the redesign launches, we'll still have modding powers, right?

Nice job guys, keep it up!
You'll still have modding powers - the thing I need to make sure of is that the icon submission form will be up and running under the redesign. :P

Oh God, they'll have those awesome golden aura... :'( . But anyways, I can't wait to see that redesign Tom, please, work harder :P

And you have an even more badass level icon...

Hey you, looking for fun? Join the Elite Guard Barracks

Signature by CagedSilhouette!!

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-07-30 23:48:05

At 7/27/11 04:29 PM, TomFulp wrote: Updated collections - those pages get retired when the redesign launches. :P

I see. I was going to suggest that it would be prudent to afford us the ability to put flashes into their designated collections, but that appears unnecessary.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-08-01 10:58:27

At 7/30/11 11:48 PM, phrozonfire wrote:
At 7/27/11 04:29 PM, TomFulp wrote: Updated collections - those pages get retired when the redesign launches. :P
I see. I was going to suggest that it would be prudent to afford us the ability to put flashes into their designated collections, but that appears unnecessary.

Collections such as "Zombies" and "AYB" will still exist - although we have long-term plans for improving those with rule-sets and tag data. The manually managed collections for games and movies are going away, though, since we now have the genre data to populate those.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-08-01 11:02:34

At 8/1/11 10:58 AM, TomFulp wrote: Collections such as "Zombies" and "AYB" will still exist - although we have long-term plans for improving those with rule-sets and tag data. The manually managed collections for games and movies are going away, though, since we now have the genre data to populate those.

Speaking of rule sets and tag data, if you know anything else that can be mentioned on the tagging wiki, please add it on. I think the mention of certain perspective of games such as "topdown" could be noted as well as puzzle games involving removal with "remover".

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-08-01 12:56:29

At 8/1/11 11:02 AM, Bahamut wrote: Speaking of rule sets and tag data, if you know anything else that can be mentioned on the tagging wiki, please add it on. I think the mention of certain perspective of games such as "topdown" could be noted as well as puzzle games involving removal with "remover".

Should I start a list underneath the current list, where it just has line-by-line suggestions for tag words covering popular themes?

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-08-01 12:58:39

At 8/1/11 12:56 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 8/1/11 11:02 AM, Bahamut wrote: Speaking of rule sets and tag data, if you know anything else that can be mentioned on the tagging wiki, please add it on. I think the mention of certain perspective of games such as "topdown" could be noted as well as puzzle games involving removal with "remover".
Should I start a list underneath the current list, where it just has line-by-line suggestions for tag words covering popular themes?

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Hopefully on the redesign for the game/movie submission page, there'll be a link to the tag guidelines to inform users on how they tag their submissions correctly.

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2011-08-01 13:37:19

I started some list of keywords for movies and games. I also went through the existing info and tried to trim out any extra wording that didn't seem necessary - something we've been trying to do all across NG with the redesign - user less words for everything. :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2012-02-08 05:24:01

At 8/1/11 01:37 PM, TomFulp wrote: I started some list of keywords for movies and games. I also went through the existing info and tried to trim out any extra wording that didn't seem necessary - something we've been trying to do all across NG with the redesign - user less words for everything. :)

I resuscitated this thread because It only seems proper in the wake of the redesign.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2012-02-08 09:27:14

At 4 hours ago, phrozonfire wrote: I resuscitated this thread because It only seems proper in the wake of the redesign.

The small amount of talk about tags and genres on the BBS disappoints me.

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2012-02-08 14:37:33

It's nice to see that us genre moddies are appreciated enough to have our own thread to communicate through now. I'll get to work when I get to my good computer.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2012-02-08 16:39:49

Now that I can see them at a glance, it's easier to fix and/or add. I haven't put the search through its paces yet but I'm sure it's lightyears better than it was before.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2012-02-09 10:29:36

My genre mod got removed because of the random icon changes to offensive images. Can I get that back as well?

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2012-02-11 00:52:56

I think I can speak for us all when I say, "I'm proud to know I helped further NewGrounds to where it is today."

Great job Genre Crew, keep it up!

The kind of old they just don't make anymore!

[Had your submission unpublished? Click here!]

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2023-08-27 07:49:23 (edited 2023-08-27 07:54:15)

Bumping due to a recent mention on The Tank Tribune regarding the Playlist update. I'd just like to ask a few questions for @TomFulp or the rest of the NG staff.

1- Unlike the legacy Collection pages, Playlists have a given author. How do you deal with 'ownership' over the following Collections?:

i- Series pages directly associated with a single author.

Examples: Eddsworld (eddsworld), Awesome (Egoraptor), Sick Animation (RomeoJR / Marc M)

ii- Generic Collection pages featuring works from multiple authors

Examples: Various holiday collections, Video game parodies, pop culture, anime, etc,

iii- Collection pages for events hosted by one or more individual authors.

Examples: Madness Day (Krinkels), Live Action Jam (BrandyBuizel),

Multiple hosts: Sketch Collab, Five Shades, (these two changed hands a few times)

iv- Pages for crews like Clock Crew, Lock Legion, etc.

Will you be transferring them to Playlists under the creators' account (such as Henry Stickmin to PuffballsUnited), or some other account? (such as the Newgrounds NG account, or one of the bots).

2- If featured Series/Collection pages are transferred over to the creators as playlists, what if they decide to either delete the list (but keep the submissions), remove undeleted submissions from the list, or fill the list with crappy or irrelevant submissions?

Do you have any form of protection against this kind of abuse if this is the case? (as opposed to regular Playlists)

3- There used to be pages for Flash Portal History that had their own Collection pages. Those moved to a page on the Wiki and given "portalhistory" tags. Is there a possibility of moving them back once they're part of the Playlist system, or if newer years would get their own Portal History?

Examples: 2000, 2006, 2010

I'm aware that a few entries have since been deleted (ie. Bug, MasterAardvark, Xombie, Numa Numa,), and a few others were scrubbed despite keeping the tags.

4- Will submissions still have featured collections on the side of the page?

Example: My game BB-Blade is part of both the Mobile Jam and Clock Day 2022 collections

iu_1061750_8157415.png

Now on the topic of "genres" and "tags"

I still noticed a handful of movies without a given genre, such as this Sick Animation (and a few others). It has tags, but not a genre (I think it falls under "Comedy - Original")

Also a few Christmas 2005 stuff that have no genre or tags

IDK what I was supposed to do originally in this thread. There was a lot of reports for stolen or unsuitable submissions, stuff that now goes in the Elite Guard Barracks, and not for discussing submissions without genres or tags.

Post over!

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2023-08-27 09:41:17 (edited 2023-08-27 09:42:37)

At 8/27/23 07:49 AM, Anonymous-Frog wrote: Bumping due to a recent mention on The Tank Tribune regarding the Playlist update. I'd just like to ask a few questions for @TomFulp or the rest of the NG staff.

1- Unlike the legacy Collection pages, Playlists have a given author. How do you deal with 'ownership' over the following Collections?:

When we migrate the collection and series pages over to playlists, they will initially all fall under the ownership of P-Bot. After that is complete, I will be going in and changing ownership to the appropriate accounts, so series pages can be owned by the series creators, jams hosted by specific users can be credited to them, etc. Pondering stuff like multi-curator/owner for playlists, although we aren't doing that at the moment.

2- If featured Series/Collection pages are transferred over to the creators as playlists, what if they decide to either delete the list (but keep the submissions), remove undeleted submissions from the list, or fill the list with crappy or irrelevant submissions?

If a playlist owner makes a mess of things, we'll have to address that on a case by case basis. Staff will still be able to edit playlists owned by other accounts, so I'll still be able to update series pages if the series owner doesn't keep it up-to-date. If the owner deletes the list, we'll have to decide if it was worth having in the first place and maybe bring it back under different ownership.

3- There used to be pages for Flash Portal History that had their own Collection pages. Those moved to a page on the Wiki and given "portalhistory" tags. Is there a possibility of moving them back once they're part of the Playlist system, or if newer years would get their own Portal History?

I've been leaning towards keeping that in the Wiki, maybe it could be revisited. It's hard to decide what earns a spot on these lists vs what doesn't.

So the way we are setting these up, if a playlist only contains work by the playlist creator, the playlist is considered "Official" and it gets a thumbnail link on the individual view pages, the way a series or collection does now. If the list contains material by others, Staff has the ability to set it to official, so for events like jams, staff can get involved to mark them as official, at which point all of the event entries would have a thumbail link to the event on their view pages.

If a playlist isn't Official, it will still be accessible on content view pages but as part of a list that is opened via lightbox. Similar to "Heard in 23 Entries" on audio, you'll see "Featured in 10 Lists" on the view page and clicking that will open a lightbox of the lists that have included the entry.

I still noticed a handful of movies without a given genre, such as this Sick Animation (and a few others). It has tags, but not a genre (I think it falls under "Comedy - Original")

This is a bit of a bug, where we have a large number of entries where the genre is on file but it isn't reflected on the view page. We have a ticket to create a cleanup script that will tidy this up, at which point it will be easier to hunt down stuff that still doesn't have a genre.

BBS Signature

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2023-08-27 23:02:58

At 8/27/23 09:41 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 8/27/23 07:49 AM, Anonymous-Frog wrote: Bumping due to a recent mention on The Tank Tribune regarding the Playlist update. I'd just like to ask a few questions for @TomFulp or the rest of the NG staff.

When we migrate the collection and series pages over to playlists, they will initially all fall under the ownership of P-Bot. After that is complete, I will be going in and changing ownership to the appropriate accounts, so series pages can be owned by the series creators, jams hosted by specific users can be credited to them, etc. Pondering stuff like multi-curator/owner for playlists, although we aren't doing that at the moment.

If a playlist owner makes a mess of things, we'll have to address that on a case by case basis. Staff will still be able to edit playlists owned by other accounts, so I'll still be able to update series pages if the series owner doesn't keep it up-to-date. If the owner deletes the list, we'll have to decide if it was worth having in the first place and maybe bring it back under different ownership.

I've been leaning towards keeping that in the Wiki, maybe it could be revisited. It's hard to decide what earns a spot on these lists vs what doesn't.

So the way we are setting these up, if a playlist only contains work by the playlist creator, the playlist is considered "Official" and it gets a thumbnail link on the individual view pages, the way a series or collection does now. If the list contains material by others, Staff has the ability to set it to official, so for events like jams, staff can get involved to mark them as official, at which point all of the event entries would have a thumbail link to the event on their view pages.

If a playlist isn't Official, it will still be accessible on content view pages but as part of a list that is opened via lightbox. Similar to "Heard in 23 Entries" on audio, you'll see "Featured in 10 Lists" on the view page and clicking that will open a lightbox of the lists that have included the entry.

Great to hear.

Also: 5- Some collections have multiple bodies that can categorize entries within a single group.

iu_1062439_8157415.png

How do I do something like that in a playlist? This is something I tried to replicate with random movies, but only the bottom 3 are officially part of the playlist.

iu_1062440_8157415.png

This is a bit of a bug, where we have a large number of entries where the genre is on file but it isn't reflected on the view page. We have a ticket to create a cleanup script that will tidy this up, at which point it will be easier to hunt down stuff that still doesn't have a genre.

I also don't know if this list still works.

I wonder if we can slim it down to "everything over 10,000 views"

Response to The Genre Mod Crew 2023-08-28 07:51:57

At 8/27/23 11:02 PM, Anonymous-Frog wrote: Also: 5- Some collections have multiple bodies that can categorize entries within a single group.

That feature in the existing Collections system has actually been really buggy for years, to the point where I generally move collection pages away from it while updating them. There isn't a plan to migrate that info over at the moment, so everything will become a single list and any historical stuff would happen in the introductory block of text.

I'm also more keen on individual lists nowadays, for example a series page linking to a collection of fan-entries vs putting it all in a single page with text dividers.

One of the longer-term plans, which would have been really useful in the current collection system, is something that lets you create rules for autofill. So for example event collections could autofill based on tag use but you could also have rules to exclude people from the autofill, so there could be a Madness fan collection that excludes anything by Krinkels because his work goes in the official Series page.

I also don't know if this list still works.
I wonder if we can slim it down to "everything over 10,000 views"

That page still works but it's a victim to that genre bug, where everything on the current results actually has genre info that just needs refreshing. If we run a script to clean that up, THEN the results will be stuff that actually needs genres.

BBS Signature