New Topic Respond to this Topic
LinkSilvermane
LinkSilvermane
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 04:39 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 03:11 PM, Auz wrote: I don't really see the point in such a conversation, other than hoping to satisfy/please the Italian and French people who were angry and disappointed with their teams.

Precisely it. Make a public speech, accept blame but imply that you made the right choices and that it wasn't REALLY your fault, shake hands with the prez.

That's how they do it.

Maybe the Italian government can put restrictions on the Serie A clubs, that they have to put more talented Italian players on the field and keep foreign players out

Neeeeeever gonna happen. Rich, influential clubs aren't going to stop putting their star players out there, leaving the Italian second-line on the bench. Because they want to win. NOW.

They couldn't give a rat's ass about the long-run, or about the national team. They're running a business.

And the Italian government is currently run by the president of Milan, so...nope. Ain't gonna happen.

I fucking WISH it would, but no.

I don't know, I just don't think the government should spent much time on it and try to meddle with it when they probably don't really know much about it.

Sadly, that's one of the few things the government is good at...chatting about soccer and shit.

Pure awesomeness. You must read it.

(God-like signature by Zeppekk)

BBS Signature
HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 04:40 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 04:33 PM, C-Hawk wrote: Yessssssssssssssss fucking love knock-out stages in tournaments, it's like "alright, gloves off, time for some blood". If anyone has said the words "this is what the World Cup is all about" in the past few days, swallow those words, 'cause "what it's all about" starts now.

Agreed...
So, tomorrow we'll have Uruguay vs Korea (I am predicting an easy win for Uruguay) and USA vs Ghana (no idea, really).

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 04:43 PM Reply

Well I guess Spain and Chile deserved to top this group. It was nice to see Switzerland beat Spain in the first game, but that defensive football style they use is kinda boring to watch. So I'm happy Spain and Chile are through actually.

And now we get some more interesting matches in the second round too. Spain - Portugal should be great and I expect a lot from Brazil - Chile as well.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 9 June 2014)

BBS Signature
AoDChromeGhoSt
AoDChromeGhoSt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 04:44 PM Reply

Yeah i think Uruguay has the edge and I doubt USA will lose.

jonthomson
jonthomson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 05:15 PM Reply

At 6/24/10 07:12 PM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 6/24/10 06:30 PM, jonthomson wrote: meaningless game that'll probably be a draw. spain/chile where it's at obv
No chance in hell this is going to be a draw...and Spain/Chile..well, it might be interesting, but it might also be pretty one-sided...nevertheless I'm gonna watch them both, so..

you were doubting jonthomson's ability to call games? sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit, it's a good job i'm not still a mod or i'd ban your sorry ass for insubordination</claydavis>

SiXFouR.668 EU

BBS Signature
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 05:35 PM Reply

At 6/24/10 01:27 AM, Haggard wrote:
At 6/23/10 09:43 PM, tyler2513 wrote: GHANA VS GERMANY
OK the Serbia 1-0 win was OK, you know, it's a pro mistake it happens. But now that Ghana 1-0 win!?
Have you even watched the game?
The guys that played in black where Germany, so it's Germany 1 - Ghana 0.

Your right YES I WATCHED THE DAMN GAME I forgot I was thinking about the serbia game I tricked myself.
Portugal Vs Brazil
I can not believe they tied 0-0 that was a pretty interesting game they both played awesome defense sides and I gotta say Portugal came so close to loosing. it was a pretty good overall game though.
Ivory Coast Vs Korea DPR
That was a really interesting game especially because I was cheering for Ivory Coast since they tied Portugal but Ivory Coast was controlling the ball the hole time but Korea DPR's goalie did alright I guess.
Chile Vs Spain
That was a close match I was going for Spain but I thought Chile was getting some really close chances around there. Spain did pretty well but I'm glad Chile made it they worked really hard.

BBS Signature
C-Hawk
C-Hawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Writer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 05:43 PM Reply

Just saw a lipreader's transcriptions of what Queirós was shouting into the pitch, and he was constantly ordering the players to win the midfield war.

"Tiago! We can't lose the ball there, okay? We can't lose the ball there. We need to be more aggressive."

"PEPE! OVER HERE" (gesturing to "zone 6" [defensive midfielder] line - note that Pepe is a centre-back and later almost broke a Brazilian player's ankle)

Violent football gets the job done in midfield, and when a team dominates midfield, that's half the game. It's not pretty, but these aren't friendlies either.
On that note, i am very surprised at Bruno Alves being quite efficient and not fouling nearly as much as expected. In his club, he's known for being a real tractor of a centre-back, excessively violent, which is part of the club's tradition, to have one of those and one very clean and efficient centre back.
For the national team, though, it's like he's a whole different person.

Translator, time traveller, aerospace engineer, and voodoo priest extraordinaire.

BBS Signature
Asrom
Asrom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 07:15 PM Reply

Just watched Chile vs. Spain. I was pretty sure that they were going to tie, but with that ref who expelled Estrada with no reason at all, i was expecting maybe a 3-0 for Spain. Luckily, Chile knew how to stand up and keep playing without a player.
I didn't even see a foul before Estrada's expulsion. The spanish guy tripped with the field.

Signature.

jonthomson
jonthomson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 07:25 PM Reply

may have been posted before. if it has, pretty sure people won't mind me reposting.

korea hwaiting tomorrow.

2010 Fifa World Cup Thread

SiXFouR.668 EU

BBS Signature
Slightly-Crazy-Dude
Slightly-Crazy-Dude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 07:28 PM Reply

Afraid Ze Germans will get you?

ViceFullbuster
ViceFullbuster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Melancholy
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 07:38 PM Reply

The way i see it.

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature
Asrom
Asrom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 07:57 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 07:38 PM, Molotov wrote: The way i see it.

I think something like that, but with Portugal winning instead of Spain.

Signature.

monkeymadeline
monkeymadeline
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 07:57 PM Reply

a song that makes me think of me if someone could just ask me out ive tried asking them out didnt say yes

jonthomson
jonthomson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 25th, 2010 @ 07:58 PM Reply

At 6/25/10 07:57 PM, monkeymadeline wrote: garbage

how has someone not banned this clown already

SiXFouR.668 EU

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 02:50 AM Reply

I could live with that, since Germany beats England. But I don't think Spain will make it, propably it's Brazil again that wins the WC... :/

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 02:53 AM Reply

At 6/25/10 07:28 PM, Slightly-Crazy-Dude wrote: Afraid Ze Germans will get you?

Not really. Teams change over time and strictly speaking our team is made up of better players on paper then the current German team is. If we play more like we did the other day then I'm not worried too much.

Good luck to USA though. I hope they get far.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Movie Buff
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 03:12 AM Reply

At 6/25/10 07:25 PM, jonthomson wrote: may have been posted before. if it has, pretty sure people won't mind me reposting.

korea hwaiting tomorrow.

Eh, she's wearing a Paraguay jersey so she's not Korean. Nonetheless still pretty fucking hot!

I can see that too, though Uruguay and US can go either way and Brazil is going to win it. No European teams has won when the World Cup hasn't been hosted on their continent. I don't see that changing seeing the way they have played so far.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature
Ship
Ship
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 04:16 AM Reply

I wouldn't trust Spain going all the way. Their group play didn't impress me one bit and I don't think they can stack up to quality teams like Netherlands, Argentina, Brazil. The Netherlands are a surprisingly talented side that could pose a serious threat against Brazil assuming the two meet each other. I think if they meet that would be the game of the tournament.

And Argentina despite having a somewhat shaky defense are still my picks to reach the finals on the other half of the bracket. I think they can easily handle Mexico, a weak Germany/England, and have a good enough team to match Spain, assuming they play them.

But the knockout rounds are when all of the pretenders get eliminated and now we finally get to see some real intense, quality playing. There's no more playing for ties and everything is on the line in these games. I can't wait for the matches to start.

KovioXZ
KovioXZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 04:17 AM Reply

i think canada will win

my sig is better then your sig

BBS Signature
unowned
unowned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 04:19 AM Reply

team with the most fans that consist of big ass titties paired with wristbands

so much enthusiasm over kicking a ball

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 04:36 AM Reply

At 6/26/10 04:16 AM, Ship wrote: But the knockout rounds are when all of the pretenders get eliminated and now we finally get to see some real intense, quality playing.

I wouldn't count on that. We can't expect "fireworks" from either team, as no team wants to lose. So they will try to have a strong defence to not concede any goals.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Sentio
Sentio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 04:54 AM Reply

That would make for a pretty uninspiring tournament, without a single shock along the way (except arguably the USA beating Uruguay). I'd like to see at least one unfancied side dishing out an upset to one of the big guns.

Also I missed the games yesterday as I was stuck on the M25 for hours... and hours, but I am really glad Chile got through- they played some excellent and exciting football, despite only needing a draw to progress. That red card was an absolute farce and I wish there was a way to appeal it and avoid the ban.

Off to Turkey now for 2 weeks, so I'll be back for England vs the USA in the world cup final!

Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 04:58 AM Reply

Looks good to me, although I would put Argentina in the finals instead of Spain and would put Uruguay in the semi-finals instead of the USA.

Also, maybe Chile can surprise by beating Brazil, but I wouldn't bet on it.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 9 June 2014)

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 06:37 AM Reply

At 6/26/10 04:54 AM, Sentio wrote: That red card was an absolute farce and I wish there was a way to appeal it and avoid the ban.

It wasn't a red card but two yellows. And Estrada simply had it coming. He should've been sent off a few minutes earlier, when he fouled a player yet again.

Also speaking of "avoiding the ban": How on earth did Villa not get banned? He clearly hit an opposite player in the face in the match against Honduras, so why wasn't he banned for that? The FIFA should stick to their own rules and not privilege one team over any other team...

HeavyTank
HeavyTank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 07:15 AM Reply

At 6/26/10 04:16 AM, Ship wrote:
And Argentina despite having a somewhat shaky defense are still my picks to reach the finals on the other half of the bracket. I think they can easily handle Mexico, a weak Germany/England, and have a good enough team to match Spain, assuming they play them.

Also assuming that the big Europens teams keep playing like they played before...

But the knockout rounds are when all of the pretenders get eliminated and now we finally get to see some real intense, quality playing. There's no more playing for ties and everything is on the line in these games. I can't wait for the matches to start.

Also, I just noticed that Brazil's work is really easy until the final..on paper, at least.
But I think that someone is going to have a surprise win against them.Spain...hm, they will definitely make it to the semifinals, but after that, I dunno...Agrentina will probably lose against Germany IF they face each other...
But, once again, anything can happen.

At 6/26/10 04:19 AM, unowned wrote: team with the most fans that consist of big ass titties paired with wristbands

mm?

so much enthusiasm over kicking a ball

OH GAWD, ALL PEOPLE DO IS KICK A BALL, SO BORING!!11!!!one!!

ProffesorCrumpets
ProffesorCrumpets
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 07:19 AM Reply

Whats this? Do i see the German team behind bars scared of three lions? We'll be seeing deja vu tommorow no doubt

C-Hawk
C-Hawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Writer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 08:06 AM Reply

At 6/26/10 07:19 AM, ProffesorCrumpets wrote: Whats this? Do i see the German team behind bars scared of three lions? We'll be seeing deja vu tommorow no doubt

Lol Germans in the back of a cattle car driven by a black African, scared for their lives and curious as to what's about to happen.
Oh History, you amuse us so.

Translator, time traveller, aerospace engineer, and voodoo priest extraordinaire.

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 08:31 AM Reply

At 6/26/10 08:06 AM, C-Hawk wrote:
At 6/26/10 07:19 AM, ProffesorCrumpets wrote: Whats this? Do i see the German team behind bars scared of three lions? We'll be seeing deja vu tommorow no doubt
Lol Germans in the back of a cattle car driven by a black African, scared for their lives and curious as to what's about to happen.
Oh History, you amuse us so.

While the three lions roam free :')

Anyway I'm still looking forward to it. Got to love playing the 'old enemy'. There is just something 'romantic' about England vs Germany, and considering our history together I tend to think we're all quite nice about it. Besides having a few laughs of course..

But whatever you do, don't mention the war.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Sir-Nuts
Sir-Nuts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 09:22 AM Reply

Oh well, now the real deal begins...

I'll be cheering for Uruguay against South Korea. I like their football, and I want as many South American teams on the quarter finals as possible, to show how much we are AWESOME.

As for yesterday's Brazil vs. Portugal... eh, I expected at least a goal. I thought Nilmar was going to do really well in the second half, judging from his first half, but we couldn't get the ball to him, since we were playing more defensively in the second. It was a pretty rough match, but it cooled down in the second half, when Felipe Melo was changed. He's a freaking horse!

And we have Chile ahead now, and they will play without three of their starters. It won't be easy, though...

Quinny
Quinny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Gamer
Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread Jun. 26th, 2010 @ 09:25 AM Reply

I really hope someone starts "10 German bombers" during tomorrows game. That'd be epic.

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature