00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

dwdrum just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Review Request Club

788,105 Views | 8,817 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-17 18:09:57

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-17 18:19:22

At 11/17/09 01:11 PM, bdarkness wrote: Can i enter please please please!!!!!

If you ever submit flash, audio, or an art submission then feel free to follow the rules and request reviews here.

If you are wanting to join then I would have to say that would be a no. You left a review for the following submission.

You simply said it didn't work. That's never a fine review in the first place because you should be PMing the author if it doesn't work, but the thing is the game really does work meaning that it was your computers fault someway and why should he be punished for it?

The rest of your reviews simple state that you loved the game/movies and won't cut it for this club. People come to this club wanting advice on how to fix their submissions. Here are some tips for reviewing. (flash in particular)

*Note that these are made up by me and aren't rules, but just some tips.

It's too hard!

Don't give a game a low score if it's too hard. So be it that you suck at the game, not everyone does suck at it. Now if the game is nearly impossible or extremely hard for everyone that reviews then you may want to think about considering it when you score the submission. The best thing to do when reviewing a game that is hard is to practice it and play it several times. Check it out with other people to see if it's really hard. A good example of this would be the new Fear Unlimited game. I find it extremely easy and so does a large population of the people that play it, but yet you see numerous low reviews of "It's too hard" just because the person is bad at the game.

Personal Opinion

Don't let your opinion overpower the quality of the submission. Perhaps the submission is about goths, perhaps it's about politics, or perhaps it's about Mario dying and you just happen to love Mario. Don't review a submission low because it's not something that you like. Review the quality of the submission instead. Not everyone likes the same thing and what's it really matter if Mario dies or not? Does that affect you in real life? What the hell does it matter if you voted for Obama and there is a McCain support flash? You're going to give it a low score just because you don't agree with it? Bullshit.

Medals

For games that have medals don't review the game on the medals itself and nothing else. Giving a submission a low score because you couldn't get a medal, because the medal was too hard, because the medal is glitched, etc.. That's just retarded. Let the person know in your review what you feel, but don't let it affect your score. Remember your reviewing the submission not the medals on the submission.

Youtube

Don't say a submission belongs on youtube unless it really belongs on youtube. Just because a submission is liveaction video doesn't mean it doesn't have it's place here. Video belongs here on newgrounds if it has a plot, is funny, has any flash in it, etc.. Videos that don't belong here are ones of someone playing with their dog or skateboarding, etc.. Everything by everyone except for the really generic youtube videos like mentioned before. Video is perfectly fine if done well.

If you don't like a submission

If you don't like the submission you should do several things. List what you didn't like about the submission. Just saying it sucks doesn't help the author fix what's wrong with it. Along with what you didn't like say how to improve. For example if you didn't think there was enough comedy give the some examples of good things to add and where to add it in the submission. If your good with flash or audio even in this case then give them technical tips on how to fix things.

Opinion on author

Don't review the author. Your reviewing the flash submission remember. Don't even mention the author at all unless your mentioning how much effort or time that they put in or should have put in to the submission.

DOESNT WORK

Don't just look at one aspect of the submission. Say a submission doesn't have working audio or the preloader doesn't work then don't give it a 0 just because of that. Something like that does deserve the score to be lowered, but not so dramatically. Also, if a submission won't load for you, but works perfectly fine for others don't review it yet. You want to give it an honest review and if it doesn't work for you and does for others it's probably your computers fault.

Sound

On the subject of sound what happens when you can't hear anything on the submission, but other people seem to hear things fine when they review it? Then again it's probably your computer, your speakers, your bad hearing, etc.. If it's not like that for other submissions then it's ok for you to lower the score because of faulty audio. Always make sure to have your speakers on. There isn't anything more annoying then someone giving you a low score because they forgot to turn their speakers on or up.

Length

This all being said you don't have to write huge reviews. The most important things are if you don't like the submission say why and how they can fix it. Think of every scenario that they could make it better and put it in your review.

Spam

When reviewing spam review it like a real submission. Why should you review spam like a real submission? A big purpose of spam is to make people mad, even though I never understood why people would get mad over a flash submission on a website. So if you give it an honest review not only are you getting your points across that you didn't like the submission, but your also teaching other people how to review properly without giving the spammer the satisfaction that they would get from a "pissed off" reviewer.

Praise

If giving a submission a review of praise then it's perfectly fine to be brief. For example, "I really like this movie. I loved the animation/graphics, the storyline was hilarious, and the music synced up perfectly for the submission. Keep up the good work." You're going to run into situations where you can't find anything wrong with a submission in your own opinion. It's perfectly fine to leave reviews like this every now and then even though not all flashes are perfect so most of the time there will be room for critiquing the submission.

Watch the whole thing

For almost every flash you should watch the whole flash submission or listen to the entirety of the song. Yes I'll agree that most of the time a crappy loop is going to be a crappy loop no matter how many times you watch it. It only takes that one time that a movie is a crappy loop or crappy in the beginning and then the author makes it amazing after. I've seen it done a couple of times since I've been here on this site. So watch it all no matter if the person is a spammer or if they are a well known artist. How would you feel if someone didn't watch all of your submission before they reviewed it?

Stolen

If a submission is stolen or you think it may be stolen don't say it in a review. The review space isn't for saying the submission is stolen. If you think it may be then PM an administrator of the site and just leave the submission alone or give it a regular honest review.

Other reviewers

Don't comment on other reviews directly or even indirectly. So no saying you agree with someone or you disagree with someone. Instead put the review in your own words even if it does sounds similar to some other review. I'll keep stressing this that the review space is for you to review the submission. Not mention others. Mentioning another review in a positive way for a very small amount of your review is alright.

Demos

Review it like it is a regular flash. What the hell is the purpose of saying things like "demos don't belong here put them on blah blah blah"? Think about it. If someone is posting a demo they obviously want someone to critique what they have so far so their final product turns out well. The only way for them to get this critique is to submit the flash for people to review it. Not question why it's here if it's not done.

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-17 19:39:18

At 11/17/09 06:19 PM, Fro wrote:
If you ever submit flash, audio, or an art submission then feel free to follow the rules and request reviews here.

If you are wanting to join then I would have to say that would be a no. You left a review for the following submission.

don't feel bad, we just don't want two line reviews saying crap. To me, you are kind of lucky because Fro didn't post this when I came in the club or give me a link to his blog post which Fro, you should have done so you would waste less time. Coop83 even BANNED me from reviewing for a month and You should be lucky if he doesn't do that. Although that taught me a lesson. Look at supersteph54.s reviews and my reviews for an example OK?

Need a Review? Go to Review Request Club

Also please look at my art!

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-17 20:25:27

At 11/17/09 07:39 PM, Joshsouza wrote: Look at supersteph54.s reviews and my reviews for an example OK?

HEY everyone's forgetting poor old Simon xP. nah i kind of expected that, but you should seriously check out some of my reviews to. Don't want to be show off, you probably just havn't seen one of my reviews yet. but just might help bdarkness to see different but equally (more or less) good ways of writing thorough reviews.

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-18 00:46:23

I would like to join this club, as I am eager to review any submissions any of you artists may have!

Thanks aplenty to Phobotech for the great user icon.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-18 01:05:44

At 11/18/09 12:46 AM, ThePortalGuru wrote: I would like to join this club, as I am eager to review any submissions any of you artists may have!

Shit, I'm sorry for the double post, but I already put the "Review Request Club" brackets into one of my reviews. If I don't get it, feel free to alert the review mods to delete it.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-18 04:08:22

Well, I uploaded these two Flashes a while ago, but no one's really given me some good constructive criticism, so I don't have any ideas how I can improve in the community's eyes.

Yes, they're terrible, but that's because I made them in two days and I don't have a good microphone.

Steam ID: Major Sergeant Johnsonmanberg

It's been a while, hasn't it?

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-18 08:55:05

At 11/17/09 07:39 PM, Joshsouza wrote:
To me, you are kind of lucky because Fro didn't post this when I came in the club or give me a link to his blog post which Fro, you should have done so you would waste less time.

Lol you are saying that it would save more time for me to link to a blog, that contained several other things that I didn't want to include such as links to clubs and others, which might confuse someone, would take longer then copying and pasting something from my blog?

Lol, oh boy instead of 2 seconds I spent 3 to 4 seconds on it. XD Anyway, it's a good little guide for incoming members to see.

At 11/18/09 12:46 AM, ThePortalGuru wrote: I would like to join this club, as I am eager to review any submissions any of you artists may have!

Your reviews look fine, but only if you stick with the more helpful ones that you've been writing instead of those random crappy short ones that you decide to write every now and then.

The only thing that bugs me is that your lower rated reviews should be the longer reviews since you should be critiquing and saying how to get better. If you start making those like your good reviews then yes.

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-19 07:20:06

Man i'm kind hoping that the update was today, cause i pretty much stayed up all night trying to finish the requests from last week. I really hope i didn't miss one...

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-19 10:20:59

At 11/19/09 07:20 AM, Kirbyfemur wrote: Man i'm kind hoping that the update was today, cause i pretty much stayed up all night trying to finish the requests from last week. I really hope i didn't miss one...

I have no time to do the update today, I'll just wait until Sunday to update the roster; and the reviews from the two past lists will be counted in this update.

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-19 10:24:27

I forgot to put [Review Request Club] at the bottom of one of my reviews, oops. I'm really liking this club so far, though, and I've enjoyed the submissions I've reviewed! Looking forward to see a list up!

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-19 10:56:12

At 11/17/09 06:19 PM, Fro wrote:

Hey fro, it's me Roger, the super Haggard botherer!!
(Just kidding)
i entered in my friends account and i wanted to make some fun w/ him
like i said after, i was in a project for madness w/ me!!

Hey you, looking for fun? Join the Elite Guard Barracks

Signature by CagedSilhouette!!

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-19 10:59:39

hey guys, can i enter now??
I'm totaly ashamed w/ what i did in the pst
(the other reviews)
Please??

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-20 07:39:49

Okay so I know alot of you will be rolling your eyes like "not another one"
But just give it a chance and tell me what you think about it.

It's not entirely finished so any ideas will be really great.

Would you be so kind as to rate and review

You know how they patience is a virtue? why be bored and do nothing about it? Impatience is a virtue in my eyes

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-20 08:55:26

If I could get a review of that, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-21 04:49:02

Just to give a heads up, the song I requested for review some time ago; I've extended it. Re-enjoy.

Check out my new track Tokyo Pop and my hit: Our Nova Pt. 2.

Member of Review Request Club.

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-21 09:29:12

At 11/19/09 10:59 AM, RogerBK wrote: hey guys, can i enter now??
I'm totaly ashamed w/ what i did in the pst
(the other reviews)
Please??

Well, I'd say your improved reviews are fine IMO. I noticed that in your more recent reviews, you reviewed the more popular and very good flashes, so you couldn't suggest anything that could be fixed. Remember that this club won't have many popular flashes but rather flashes that probably need imrpoving, so remember to always point out as many problems as you can in the flash, and suggest on how they can be fixed :).

Also, at times, you should try and review some audio requests for the club too. You're focusing a lot on flash, and while I respect that you may not be able to find much to say about audio, you should give some audio reviewing a try now and again ;).

Long story short, good job on your new reviews. Wait for the next requests list, and then review the requests from that list. Sometime before the next update which would be the Sunday afterwards, post the points you achieved throughout the week (points system is in the first post of this thread) and you're part of the club ;).

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-21 09:43:26

Hello! I've spent so many hours I can't count on this flash and it's fully animated with great detail. Please come check it out and vote! Thank you!

-Taco Buttfish

Original Cartoons, By Original Artists

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-21 10:24:37

At 11/21/09 09:29 AM, Supersteph54 wrote:
Long story short, good job on your new reviews. Wait for the next requests list, and then review the requests from that list. Sometime before the next update which would be the Sunday afterwards, post the points you achieved throughout the week (points system is in the first post of this thread) and you're part of the club ;).

Thanks man, I just review famous flashes beacuse ppl see it!!
I'll do this, u're awesome!

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-21 11:45:00

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-21 14:30:09

At 11/21/09 01:37 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Might stop doing audio reviews after awhile because I feel like I wasted effort reviewing them when the author deletes them after awhile. I don't see why they can't do what they did with flash, make it undeletable after a certain amount of views.

I know how you feel, man :(. I end up losing reviews just because a person decided to update his song with a few notes here and there and call it a V2 (he could always just edit the already submitted song O.o). Then, I lose a lot of hard work, especially when considering the fact that I'll be losing all the work put into one of MY reviews...

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-21 16:29:30

At 11/21/09 01:37 PM, SCTE3 wrote: Might stop doing audio reviews after awhile because I feel like I wasted effort reviewing them when the author deletes them after awhile. I don't see why they can't do what they did with flash, make it undeletable after a certain amount of views.

Ha, I know what you mean. But don't worry about me, I NEVER delete any review or any song of mine (unless i really really really have to). (I didnt even know it was possible for me to delete reviews).
So, if you're looking for songs to review, mine are ideal =P

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-21 17:10:24

FINALLY!!!!

got a new one done, let me know what you guys think of it

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-21 18:06:33

At 11/21/09 04:29 PM, DJ-Chilvan wrote:
Ha, I know what you mean. But don't worry about me, I NEVER delete any review or any song of mine (unless i really really really have to). (I didnt even know it was possible for me to delete reviews).
So, if you're looking for songs to review, mine are ideal =P

Yeah ha... you can't delete reviews. :P

He meant when artistes delete their submissions it also deletes all of the reviews on that submission. Meaning people can lose reviews over night when there was nothing wrong or abusive about them at all and it can get rather annoying as some work rather hard on their reviews.

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-21 18:17:57

Man, I always forget to write the damn ´´Review Reques Club´´
I´m very absent minded!!

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-21 18:27:20

Yes I reviewed everything from the recent list,
and I didn't forget the Review Request Club signature this time!

Just a question,
The extra request don't count towards the current week right?

Anyway now I must return to my day off,
and killing crappy submissions...

Watch Shark Black HERE Watch CoolJaw HERE

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-21 19:34:40

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-21 19:43:52

Eyy, where's Coop83? I've missed him =/.
Idk why but I always pair him together with Haggard, they both emit the same aura IMO =P.
When Haggard reviewed my song, where was coop? And along with Haggard and supersteph, Coop is one of the regular people who review my requests.
Haha, this sounds random, but I'm just curious...lol

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-21 20:27:07

Man, I´m so tired...
It´s almost midnight here on Brazil and I have 2 weeks of tests at school...

I have to put my ass on work, so , until 3 of December, I´m not going to be so present...

:0 My eyes are almost closing...
I have to sleep man, thank God that is Saturday...

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2009-11-21 22:57:23

I would just like to take a minuet to thank the Review Request Club.
Thank you for reviewing my Art. it's a nice feeling to have reviews, especially good reviews, on my works. Thank you.
I will return tomorrow with a new list of pieces.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature