00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wfe23 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Review Request Club

779,256 Views | 8,811 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-20 10:51:41

Oh man, just figured I'm going to the cabin tomorrow. I'll be gone till Saturday. Aand I'm hosting a tournament in a few hours in SC2, so I doubt I can do much for today. Hopefully I'll get it done on Sunday if my hangover isn't too bad. If not, I'm just crossing my fingers that the update will be late on Monday.

Meet the Mayor.

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-20 13:05:00

No, wait. I want to keep "My Bits" on the list. Can I switch "I Dunno D:" out instead?

uwu

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-20 13:30:57

Ah, crap. I forgot the RCC signature in one of my reviews. I feel dumb xD

uwu

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-21 02:06:03

Hey guys, just askin' for a little review insight. Some little ditty I threw out and decided to upload. Got stuck on how to expand it so I threw this out just to end it off and work on something new for the future. Would be good if you could review it and tell me what you think. :P

Thanks, Zerest.

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-21 02:45:25

At 7/19/11 08:51 PM, NimblekidX wrote:
Just wondering boys,but why dont you review a bit harder on the submissions? i know some artists might be new,but nonetheless,i judge everyone's work very hardly,regardless of the content or character of the work. i have never given a 10.that doesn't sound soo grand now,but after a few weeks in the RRC,i'll have close to a couple hundred reviews.

If I dislike I submission and I see that technically is acceptable, I simply refrain from reviewing. I really could care less about the score, and in fact, I judge more the words instead of just a number. I think that a number can't sum up your entire review along with the possible mistakes and contradictions in it. To me, giving a 0 or a 10 is exactly the same thing, but I'm more prone to give 10's because in the end I care more about the people's reaction and how positively will receive my criticism. They should have a crystal clear vision of what *good* reviewers felt when listening to their tracks, it's all about symbiosis, synergy and have the will to improve each time you fail.

so tell me,why you guys so easy on everyone?

It's nothing more than an attitude.

the only reason i judge so hard on them is to give constructive criticism and give an encouraging push to strive,and work harder and better.

"Constructive" criticism is always relative. I usually write a few words that sum up pretty much what I feel of the overall track, what improvements should be taken in consideration, and try to help people figure out what they actually WANT to do. I'm not a psychologist, but not everyone here loves being pummeled down by "constructive" criticism and they rather take it as "harsh" instead.

example:i see SCTE and Soap consistently giving 8/9s,while on some submissions,me giving 5s~7s.

I noticed that too, but who cares, really. :) Each with his own judgement method.

i may be a new member,but im not trying to force you guys to judge harder. im just asking why you dont.

That's diversity, and its advantages. We're all here to share knowledge and understanding. So go ahead, and let's all improve the hive we're building together.

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-21 03:37:18

Just need to do six more audio reviews. Seems like I might actually make it, I'm actually surprised.

And I woke up about three hours earlier than I usually do. Actually feels good.

Meet the Mayor.

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-21 03:55:12

At 7/21/11 03:37 AM, Soapbubble wrote: Just need to do six more audio reviews. Seems like I might actually make it, I'm actually surprised.

And I woke up about three hours earlier than I usually do. Actually feels good.

I almost never slept tonight... Now I'm enjoying some Yoko Kanno. ^^
Feels AWESOME.

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-21 05:36:01

Well, usually I don't sleep more than 5 hours or so, that's basically my sleeping schedule during vacations. Go to bed late and wake up around 10, after 3-5 hours of sleep.

Went to bed at 1, slept till 9, eight hours of sleep never felt worse.
Gotta go get my coffee now >:

By the way, there doesn't seem to be much casual talk in here, how come?

Meet the Mayor.

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-21 06:17:09

Hey guys, could you please review my song? Thanks!

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-21 08:12:32

(For anyone who doesn't know me, i USED to be in Review Request Club.)

I remember when i left before. I am making a comeback. I am re-joining.

:)

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-21 10:41:57

At 7/21/11 08:12 AM, doppler73 wrote: (For anyone who doesn't know me, i USED to be in Review Request Club.)

I remember when i left before. I am making a comeback. I am re-joining.

)

Can't say I remember you, sorry, but anyone's welcome in my eyes, as long as they put effort into their reviews (:

Meet the Mayor.

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-22 04:44:53

At 7/21/11 05:36 AM, Soapbubble wrote: By the way, there doesn't seem to be much casual talk in here, how come?

It's all about the bussiness. 8)

Also, I wrote 4 reviews the other day and the very next day I lost 3 other reviews. It's so annoying sometimes....

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-22 14:53:24

Watch Shark Black HERE Watch CoolJaw HERE

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-22 16:03:31

i think i'll stop where i am on the reviews,i have quite a bit of points,and im gutted.

my first week point total is 81,and i missed one signature.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.

"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-22 21:06:50

Hello again! Thought I might as well send in a few more songs to review. On another note, I'd like to say that it's quite annoying to not be able to post one song per week. I mean, on average, I get one song done per week (may be different for others), but as it is, it's EXTREMELY hard to figure out when I can post a request or not (I'm not 100% sure on this. I think I can post one, maybe two, which is why I'm posting two. If I can only do one, which I'm more sure about, disregard the video game song. ^_^). There's also the thing where two updates = one week, and five updates = four weeks..? That doesn't seem to make sense. If 2x = 1y, then wouldn't 5x=2.5y? Anyway. I'd simply like to just post a song when I finish it, I guess. :P I don't know many people who finish more than one song every week.

Anyway! Finishing my ramblings, songs!

Video game boss theme:

Another soundscape with some nice guitar and flutes:

Enjoy! Also, if you could please rate them (at least, the video game one... zerobombers really suck. :| ), that would be awesome! Thankies for the awesome reviews! We can all use critiquing and constructive criticism, after all. Helps to improve for the future.

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-22 21:12:50

Oh yeah. Forgot to say. I'd like to join, though I may not be able to do too many of the requests, time constraints and all.

I can confidently say that I do a good job of reviewing when I put my mind to it and get serious (which happens occasionally, everybody gets lucky sometimes, I suppose).

Of course, I'd definitely be doing my best for the requests here. I only do music though, and occasionally games. Don't really know all that much about how to put together art or a good flash... But when it comes to music, I know how to do that. I focus on composition more than mixing (unless there's a ton of distortion or the mixing is so good that I absolutely have to compliment on it/there's not much other good I can say about it), so hopefully that'll help. People seem to focus more on mixing these days, but my opinion is "if there isn't that much distortion and it sounds good, fine by me". I'd rather not put jewelry on something that doesn't have a skeleton, and that's the analogy I'd use. The composition is the skeleton, the mixing/effects are jewelry/makeup.

...darn it, I went rambling again. If I manage to write that much on every review, I'd be golden, wouldn't I... Anyway. That's all I have to say. Bye again!

Stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-23 01:06:48

I didn't know a thread like this existed. ;o I really gotta start browsing the BBS since I've barely done so since I joined.

Anyway, could someone review this for me?

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 34914

Thanks in advance.

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-23 06:21:43

Alright then, I'll join with the next update. To tell the truth, I don't really want to go back to find the last update and review everything on there. I tried looking back a few pages and didn't see one, so... too many things to review at once. >_<

Stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-23 06:33:49

NOTE - READ THESE RULES, EVEN IF YOU HAVE ALREADY READ THE RULES IN THE FIRST POST. THEY ARE AN UPDATED VERSION OF THE RULES IN THE FIRST POST AND THEY HAVE NEW IMPORTANT RULES!

Hello! Welcome to the new Review Request Club thread. This thread is meant to give the club a fresh start and make it a pleasant place to stay. In order to do this, it goes without saying that you must follow the regular BBS rules and read the C&C Advice Thread before posting if you are new to this forum.

This club aims to increase the exposure of the most under-rated Newgrounds music, art and flash artists. The other major purpose of the club is to offer the Newgrounds artists high quality feedback so they can constantly improve their work.

To the requesters:
Every Newgrounds user is allowed to request a review as soon as he submitted something. To get your work reviewed, don't post here without thinking but follow these few rules:

- Post a direct link to the submission(s) you want reviewed.
- Make no more than 3 Flash and Art requests between two updates (that's one week), and no more than 3 Audio Requests between 5 updates (that's four weeks).
- Please respond to reviews, reviewers like it and some of them are statwho... oh wait, interested in stats.
- Be patient. Due to the points system, you may not see reviews until up to two weeks after you requested, or if you requested more than 1 Audio submission, you may not see reviews on your second submission up until 3 weeks after you requested, and you may not see reviews on your third submission up until 4 weeks after you requested.
- Do NOT request without posting a link, be kind, reviewers are not robots.
- Do NOT simply say "Review everything" or just link to your profile.
- Do NOT request reviews for the same submission more than once.
- Do NOT request reviews for a submission with over 50 reviews.
- Do NOT request reviews for spam. Spam is only there to annoy, not to be critically analyzed.
- Unless you are a club member, only request reviews for YOUR OWN submissions.

To the reviewers:
If you want to join the club and complete requests, simply post in the thread saying you would like to join. Then, regular members will go through your reviews and determine if they are good enough to be part of the club. Your reviews are required to be helpful, developed and well-organised. If you need help with writing good reviews, read Fro's guide to writing helpful reviews.

Once you are accepted, you can start reviewing stuff. If you are a new member of the club, once you understand how the point system works, please post - one or two days before the update - the total points you've earned during the week. This is considered as a sort of application form, and if you fail to do so, you will NOT be added to the club.

Points System:
List updaters will keep track of each member's points in order to build a list. You don't need to post your points before each update but you can keep track of your score on your own so any error can be fixed. This is how points are counted:

5 points for a review on a requested submission (movie, game, art, or audio).
1 point for writing "Review Request Club" at the bottom of a requested review.
3 points for posting at least once throughout the two weeks.
5 points for referring a new member (must mention you in first post).
7 points for reviewing all requests/recommendations between two updates.

Club Updates:
Each Sunday or Monday, a list of all the members is created, counting up their points, featuring various stats and posting a list of requested submissions. Assuming you review the submissions in that list, you will get points for them accordingly in the following members' update, around a week later.

Don't forget the lists are built and updated by humans so it may be possible the update is delayed due to various real life reasons. If it ever occurs, don't get mad; calm down and wait :).

Frequently Asked Questions:

Should we have an FAQ?
I don't know. It kinda seems like overkill.

Why a new thread?
The main idea was to give the club a new and fresh start. Since the old one was flooded by requests and not updated any more, the RRC regulars thought creating a new thread would be best for the club.

Should I link to the club in my forum signature?
There's no obligation to do so, but it's certainly appreciated. Remember that you can put a high number in place of the page number in the URL and if that page doesn't exist yet, Newgrounds will take you to the latest page, whatever it is. For example, "http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/107 2042/999" will take you to the latest page of this club.

RRC Signature?
Yes, at the end of each review, if you want you can write down 'Review Request Club'. There is no obligation to do so, but you'll get +1 point if you put the RRC signature in your review. You can add anything you want to it, E.G.: *Review Request Club*, |Review Request Club|, -Review Request Club-, etc, but as long as 'Review Request Club' is clearly written, you will get the point. You are also allowed to add the sig in any reviews other than requests in this club, as long as you are a club member yourself. It's all the more exposure for the club, and it's very much appreciated.

+1 point if I put the RRC signature in my review... I'm not sure if I get it correctly.
You gain 6 points for a review on a request with "Review Request Club" in the end of it, as opposed to 5 points if you hadn't added the signature at the end. If it's still not clear, read this.

Does the Review Request Club review for non-NG stuff?
No. It must be an NG submission. If you have a non-NG submission which you would like us to review, then use your common sense and upload it to NG. Also, we will only review using the 'Write a Review' method on submissions. We won't send reviews by PM, review in your newspost or review in any particular thread of yours.

Do I have to review all the requests?
No you don't have to, just do your best :). Though completing them all will give you 7 extra points.

Which requests should I review?
If you want to get points for the next member's update, look for the latest requests list in the club thread and review the requests from that list. If you review any requests from various posts in the thread which would have been posted after the latest requests list, you will be getting points for the member's update after the next one.

can u review allz mah flashz guise? kthxbai.
No.

If you have more questions, feel free to post about it in the thread or PM a member and if your question is frequently asked, it'll be added to the FAQ.

---

That's all about the club, though this new version of the club couldn't be opened without mentioning the old thread regulars who have made it a great place to spend time. Kudos to Freelance-Magician for creating the original club and to FattyWhale for maintaining it for so long. Thanks also to Sonofkirk for starting this new thread and doing many updates.

Have fun!

Useful links: RRC - The point system, clarified, Fro's Guide to Writing Helpful Reviews, Fro's Guide to Writing Good Reviews

Resources: Old Review Request Club thread, Club info, Google.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-23 06:44:07

At 7/22/11 09:06 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: On another note, I'd like to say that it's quite annoying to not be able to post one song per week.

While the rule is sometimes overlooked, strictly speaking you should try and stick with requesting a max of three songs in four weeks. We added this rule months ago when we were getting too many Audio Requests to review. We had to handle them somehow so we added the rule of three Audio Requests per four weeks. So, if you post three Audio Requests in the first week of a month, you can't post anymore until next month.

We're not getting as many Audio Requests as we used to so it's not a massive problem if you request reviews on more than three songs in four weeks, but three Audio Requests per month is a pretty lenient rule. My suggestion is to only ask for reviews on songs that need reviews, not on every song you finish. If I made a song which I worked really hard on, I'd like reviews to see how to improve it and get feedback on my hard work, and if I made a work in progress, I'd like reviews to see how to continue it, but if I casually made a song in my free time, I wouldn't find it that important to get reviews on it, if you get what I mean.

There's also the thing where two updates = one week, and five updates = four weeks..? That doesn't seem to make sense. If 2x = 1y, then wouldn't 5x=2.5y?

Sorry, I can see how people might get confused by that xP. When we say 'between two updates', we mean one week since the updates are weekly. So when we say 'between five updates', we mean four weeks because between 5 weekly updates there are four weeks.

At 7/22/11 09:12 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: Oh yeah. Forgot to say. I'd like to join, though I may not be able to do too many of the requests, time constraints and all.

Don't worry about it. Every little helps. We'll be glad to have you as a member - you can wait till the next update and requests list come out, and start reviewing from that requests list. Then, when you think you've done enough reviews, check out the points system, work out how many points you've got and post them in this thread. This will show me that you want to be an official member of the club and I'd add you in the next update!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-23 07:29:14

At 7/23/11 06:44 AM, Supersteph54 wrote:

My suggestion is to only ask for reviews on songs that need reviews, not on every song you finish. If I made a song which I worked really hard on, I'd like reviews to see how to improve it and get feedback on my hard work, and if I made a work in progress, I'd like reviews to see how to continue it, but if I casually made a song in my free time, I wouldn't find it that important to get reviews on it, if you get what I mean.

Fair enough. But all my songs are in my free time, and I work really hard on each one... lol. That's why it generally takes me a week to make each song.

Don't worry about it. Every little helps. We'll be glad to have you as a member - you can wait till the next update and requests list come out, and start reviewing from that requests list. Then, when you think you've done enough reviews, check out the points system, work out how many points you've got and post them in this thread. This will show me that you want to be an official member of the club and I'd add you in the next update!

Alright then, will do!

Stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-23 07:32:43

Actually, you know what, never mind about the next update thing. I'm just going to review everything (except for mine. I can still post requests for my music to be reviewed if I'm a reviewer, right?) from this page onward.

After all, I'm guessing you wouldn't be unhappy about it, right?

Stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-23 09:58:10

And now i quit again. :(

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-23 10:00:07

I doubt I'll be able to do the rest of the requests. I know I only miss about 4-5, but you might know I live in Norway, and I had some friends on Utøya I haven't heard from yet. If you don't know what I'm talking about, just check out cnn or bbc or whatever.

Anyway, I'm heading out to meet with some mutual friends.

Meet the Mayor.

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-23 19:13:54

Really don't know what to do about submissions that drop the f-bomb every 2 seconds. I understand it's a personal expression of art, but I just can't listen to that. So yeah, hip-hop/rap is a bad genre for me.

Also, I will be leaving for a week starting Wed. I'm a junior counselor for the Cadet International Camporee in MI. So, kind of a big deal. If the update is delivered in a timely fashion, I'll try to get as many submissions reviewed as possible before then.

And now, without further ado... MARATHON REVIEW SESSION!!!

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-24 01:26:11

When the next update rolls by, could you remove all of my audio from the request bucket (Yeah, that's what I'm going to call it) and add this instead?

I asked for this to be added a day or two ago, but I don't really want the rest of my stuff to be reviewed. Just this.

uwu

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-24 08:23:38

At 7/23/11 07:13 PM, MeteorManMike wrote: Really don't know what to do about submissions that drop the f-bomb every 2 seconds. I understand it's a personal expression of art, but I just can't listen to that. So yeah, hip-hop/rap is a bad genre for me.

it's just a word, and I don't think you should worry too much about it. I understand that some people don't like it, but it still doesn't really mean anything. And it is by far not the worst thing in the raps we've been asked to review so far (:

Also, I will be leaving for a week starting Wed. I'm a junior counselor for the Cadet International Camporee in MI. So, kind of a big deal. If the update is delivered in a timely fashion, I'll try to get as many submissions reviewed as possible before then.

Sounds pretty interesting. You have fun =D

Meet the Mayor.

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-24 08:38:28

At 7/24/11 08:23 AM, Soapbubble wrote: it's just a word, and I don't think you should worry too much about it. I understand that some people don't like it, but it still doesn't really mean anything. And it is by far not the worst thing in the raps we've been asked to review so far (:

Just a generalization, more specifically the storm of swearing that meaningful lyrics seem to disappear into.

Sounds pretty interesting. You have fun =D

I will! I'll try to get a submission out for you all to review in the meantime.

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-24 09:26:00

Well, there is meaning to the lyrics as well. I guess you might be hinting to Epic-Fail's raps. They're filled with profanity and really touchy subjects. Sure it might be mostly him playing on contreversial subjects, but it's what goes on in his mind, so it obviously means something to him.

Do make some music if you get the opportunity. I'll be right here, ready to review =D

In other news, I managed to get 100% again. No idea how I did it. I've even done some extras, and I was so astonished by R&W's Ice that I checked out his other song as well. Dude's got talent.

Meet the Mayor.

Response to Review Request Club 2011-07-24 11:21:35

Sorry I haven't been able to participate as much as I had liked this week. I was very busy with other commitments [the July NAC] anywho I have made one review and I'd like to know.. when do I post the score that I have? Do I post it now.. or later.. or what? I didn't quite understand what to do when I read the FAQ above.

BBS Signature