00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

thelan8 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk!

24,807 Views | 379 Replies

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-30 07:48:27

At 6/30/09 06:07 AM, 4urentertainment wrote: Just a suggestion.

At least when I was judging myself, I always looked at the plot. The general "what's happening here" jist always mattered to me. Any story that had a plot which felt tacky and unoriginal was usually down-rated for those reasons. I however trust people like Zerok and GumOnShoe to keep plot and similar factors in mind as well as the execution of the idea.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-30 08:25:42

At 6/30/09 07:48 AM, Lost-Chances wrote: At least when I was judging myself, I always looked at the plot. The general "what's happening here" jist always mattered to me.

I always thought that it should matter for any author, which is why it does to me, as well.

Any story that had a plot which felt tacky and unoriginal was usually down-rated for those reasons. I however trust people like Zerok and GumOnShoe to keep plot and similar factors in mind as well as the execution of the idea.

I have faith in them and their fellow judges, otherwise I would not have submitted my entry for the competition this month.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-30 08:31:45

Can anybody like tell me how shit mine is yeah thanks

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-30 09:01:27

At 6/30/09 08:31 AM, Sawdust wrote: Can anybody like tell me how shit mine is yeah thanks

The theme was hard. Don't break yourself over the idea you did badly. You probably did better than a lot of people.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-30 10:53:00

Holy shit, I completely forgot that I was planning to write a story for this until about five minutes ago. I came up with another idea and I'm going to see if I can finish it up in a day or two. Wish me luck, unless of course you're my competition. Then you can feel free to curse me with the evil eye.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-30 10:54:12

And by a day or two I, of course, mean thirteen hours as that's all that's left.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-30 10:55:19

At 6/30/09 10:54 AM, Jercurpac wrote: And by a day or two I, of course, mean thirteen hours as that's all that's left.

It actually gets locked July 1 at midnight. Well, technically July 2. As in you have 100% of July 1 to work on it.

:D

Self-published fiction: Mostly Lies

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-30 11:30:50

At 6/30/09 10:55 AM, Zerok wrote:
At 6/30/09 10:54 AM, Jercurpac wrote: And by a day or two I, of course, mean thirteen hours as that's all that's left.
It actually gets locked July 1 at midnight. Well, technically July 2. As in you have 100% of July 1 to work on it.

D

Well, until about 2 pm to be precisely precise. I have work and they're rarely receptive to the, "I can't come in I'm writing a story for a contest on Newgrounds.com," excuse. Hopefully it's enough time to work this into something decent. It's a clever idea, but I'm currently brutalizing it. This is generally where I say fuck it and go play video games, but I think I'm going to challenge myself to finish it and post it no matter how awful I think it is.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-30 11:35:57

At 6/30/09 10:55 AM, Zerok wrote:

D

That's fantastic. I only realised what the date was and picked up writing where I left off. Right now I'm powering through it. I've still got a lot of plot development to go, but I'm definitely over the half way mark. Hoping to get it all done tonight though.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-30 11:59:01

whoops

err... sorry... wrong thread

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-30 16:22:23

And here I was, thinking I was the only one who was going to submit a story this late, and I find WritersBlock and Jercurpac still going to submit stories.

On another note, this is probably the biggest competition we've had. I don't know if it's because the world limit was increased or because we've had more entries, but currently we've got 69 posts.

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-30 16:23:57

Damn, I hate work!!! I've been so busy I haven't been able to enter the MWC, and I won 3rd in May, or was it march?

Anyways, good luck guyz!

Roleplaying is to the mind what masturbation is to the body - Shalashaska-1, 2008

Feel free to MSN me: warsmithdave@msn.com

Beware the NGSkeletonGimp! M:tG Klub.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-30 18:29:00

Gives competition the evil eye

Good luck everybody, latecomers as well! I am interested to see what the pressure brings out in your stories. Some people write the best under those conditions

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-30 18:52:56

I would put my story on my user page...but I don't know how

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-30 19:09:16

Ah, so we're nearing the end of this contest. I've been looking through a few already, and I'm looking forward to reading the rest. Good luck to everyone once again, and I hope you last-minuters manage to get something in! :P

At 6/30/09 06:52 PM, drorfannkyl wrote: I would put my story on my user page...but I don't know how

You can post things to your userpage blog here. That page is accessible through your account screen and under "Make a New Post".

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-30 19:15:39

At 6/30/09 06:52 PM, drorfannkyl wrote: I would put my story on my user page...but I don't know how

Go to your profile and click the tiny red text that says make a new post.

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-30 22:12:06

Well, I submitted mine with a few last minute changes.

I was going to give mine a title, but then I realized that it would almost be inappropriate to give the story a name after I went through the trouble to keep any of the characters in the story nameless on purpose. Besides, I couldn't think of anything that was both appropriate and not cliched.

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i

oh no I am choking on a million dicks

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-07-01 05:40:34

Well, I'm finally finished with my submission, and it is now up on the contest thread. I'm happy with it, although I wish I could've done a few more revisions, but you work with what time you have, correct? I'd like to thank everyone who commented on my first draft; your comments helped me greatly. If anyone still wants to comment on my piece, you can comment on my first draft post on my userpage, and I'll be thankful for your comments.

As with last time, if anyone wants to hear comments on their submission, I'll be glad to give them. I know my opinion does not mean much, but it's there if you want to hear it.

I'm off to rest now, and I wish everyone luck. I've read all the submissions so far and I've seen some pretty good stuff. I look forward to seeing how you guys did.

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-07-01 05:43:32

At 7/1/09 05:40 AM, blakedatch wrote: As with last time, if anyone wants to hear comments on their submission, I'll be glad to give them. I know my opinion does not mean much, but it's there if you want to hear it.

If you've read mine and have a comment, feel free to share it here.

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-07-01 07:17:47

Contest to close in about 16.5 hours.

I may not be around at 12AM EST to officially lock the entry thread (if another mod is, I'd appreciate it), so consider it to be SOFT LOCKED at exactly 12:01 AM July 2. I will heartlessly delete any entry post beyond that point.

:D

Self-published fiction: Mostly Lies

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-07-01 09:50:01

At 7/1/09 07:17 AM, Zerok wrote: Contest to close in about 16.5 hours.

I may not be around at 12AM EST to officially lock the entry thread (if another mod is, I'd appreciate it), so consider it to be SOFT LOCKED at exactly 12:01 AM July 2. I will heartlessly delete any entry post beyond that point.

D

Hohshit a race against time! I'm over 3,000 words in on my entry but I think I've still got another 1,000 words to go. It will be a fun night for me :)

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-07-01 15:29:36

At last, I'm finished. My story's in the submissions thread. It's also in my blog here.

I might as well add a reminder that the competition will be closing in 8.5 hours. 12PM Newgrounds time. The clock is ticking.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-07-01 17:20:41

Oye more heavyweights submitted! Alas, I see the prize drifting away! And there is still time for last minute submissions! I wonder who else will suprise us with their story.

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-07-01 19:17:38

It's nice to see some great quality pieces submitted. The more this contest proceeds, the more I'm convinced a literature portal could really work on NG. Good luck everyone.

:)

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-07-01 23:49:26

I learned about this contest yesterday. Yesterday was plotting day, and for the past two and a half hours I've been on a typing spree. It's on my userpage, let me know what you think.

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-07-02 00:18:07

At 7/2/09 12:15 AM, Fyndir wrote:
At 7/1/09 07:17 AM, Zerok wrote: I will heartlessly delete any entry post beyond that point.
Poor Rapemuffin, 13 minutes too late.

But does it count that he submitted his first part at 11:49 NG time? He just didn't finish posting the rest.

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i

oh no I am choking on a million dicks

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-07-02 00:21:28

At 7/2/09 12:15 AM, Fyndir wrote:
At 7/1/09 07:17 AM, Zerok wrote: I will heartlessly delete any entry post beyond that point.
Poor Rapemuffin, 13 minutes too late.

I know I know - I have no one to blame but myself. And I'm 20 minutes late, if you count the "Alternate Ending" post.

So how many blowjobs will it cost to not have my story deleted?

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-07-02 01:27:45

At 7/2/09 01:20 AM, Dobio wrote:
At 7/2/09 12:21 AM, RapeMuffin wrote: So how many blowjobs will it cost to not have my story deleted?
Haha, I wouldn't dare delete it, but 20 minutes has to deserve some sort of mercy. ;)

I'd at least leave RapeMuffin's submission until zerok drops by and sees it, he has after all got a foot in the door with his first post.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-07-02 01:57:25

At 7/2/09 01:43 AM, shadow1124 wrote: Shit, I didn't see the Eastern time stipulation. I thought I still had some time left (Pacific Time where I'm at). I had a really good one going too...

Well, crud. All that work for nothing.

Anybody want to read it just for the hell of it? I'd like some feedback at least.

sure, I'd read it and give you some feedback. It's probably better than mine anyways.

Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-07-02 02:02:09

At 7/2/09 01:43 AM, shadow1124 wrote: Shit, I didn't see the Eastern time stipulation. I thought I still had some time left (Pacific Time where I'm at). I had a really good one going too...

Well, crud. All that work for nothing.

Anybody want to read it just for the hell of it? I'd like some feedback at least.

Post it in your blog and link it here. Some of us may bother to read through it. For next time, remember that all these contests are to Newgrounds time. 12:00 PM in whatever time zone that is. I actually had half a day on the 2nd of the month because my time zone is +12 hours to that of Newgrounds.

I'm just setting up my scoring sheet now and I'll enlighten you all to some brief statistics:
Number of submissions: 45
Number of submissions eligible to win: 34/35 (depending on whether RapeMuffin is chopped out or not)
Number of submissions that failed to meet basic requirements: 9 (this is length and paragraph issues)
More than half of the disqualified submissions submitted their stories within the first week, and all but one submitted within the first two.

BBS Signature