DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jun. 21st, 2012 @ 03:00 AM Reply

At 6/20/12 08:32 AM, Coop wrote:
I've never liked drugs, to be honest. I don't even take paracetamol, when I've got a headache. If I'm taking that sort of stuff, you know I'm really ill!

A few fast paced games on the PS3 tend to kick me into action, such as Dynasty Warriors or Wipeout. That works well and distracts me from potential writer's block. Then it's away, with a fresh brew and the keyboard lights up.

Yeah, man. Drugs don't really do anything, but I'm talking about marijuana and alcohol; if you can't write sober, why would you be able to write high/drunk? It won't do anything--trust me. I don't like coffee, but I'll drink a soda. The buzz is nice but won't really help you if you don't have a carefully planned idea.

Anyway, the thing I do is just write anything. I write micro stories that are about 100-200 words. They are usually exercises (read: incomplete and boring), but if I find something that works, I'll weave it into whatever I'm writing for real. I think a good rest is good too. I usually stay up really late writing something, but don't finish. While I am lying in bed, I'm thinking about the story, and when I wake, I feel good and ready to finish.

If you play an instrument, that also helps. Try writing a song. Just be creative and add to the momentum. I think we've all experience how it feels when you have the proverbial ball rolling. Holy crap! It's your best work and a lot of it.

Despite the name, I'm actually good--Deft, and good!

Giving out reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
batveggies
batveggies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jun. 21st, 2012 @ 09:28 PM Reply

I agree sometimes the best way to get back writers block is to just write and get all the bad ideas out of your system cause then you read it and your like "this isn't what I want but maybe this is." I dunno but that sometimes works for me and also video games especially if I leave frustrated lol.

At 6/21/12 03:00 AM, DeftAndEvil wrote:
I've never liked drugs, to be honest. I don't even take paracetamol, when I've got a headache. If I'm taking that sort of stuff, you know I'm really ill!

A few fast paced games on the PS3 tend to kick me into action, such as Dynasty Warriors or Wipeout. That works well and distracts me from potential writer's block. Then it's away, with a fresh brew and the keyboard lights up.
Yeah, man. Drugs don't really do anything, but I'm talking about marijuana and alcohol; if you can't write sober, why would you be able to write high/drunk? It won't do anything--trust me. I don't like coffee, but I'll drink a soda. The buzz is nice but won't really help you if you don't have a carefully planned idea.

Anyway, the thing I do is just write anything. I write micro stories that are about 100-200 words. They are usually exercises (read: incomplete and boring), but if I find something that works, I'll weave it into whatever I'm writing for real. I think a good rest is good too. I usually stay up really late writing something, but don't finish. While I am lying in bed, I'm thinking about the story, and when I wake, I feel good and ready to finish.

If you play an instrument, that also helps. Try writing a song. Just be creative and add to the momentum. I think we've all experience how it feels when you have the proverbial ball rolling. Holy crap! It's your best work and a lot of it.
WhiteKraken
WhiteKraken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 01:04 AM Reply

At 6/21/12 03:00 AM, DeftAndEvil wrote:

-------------------------

"If you need drugs to be a good writer, you're not a good writer"-Rod Serling

I just dropped in here to do a more formal greeting to everyone as I'm new to the writing forum, but I might as well add to the conversation lest I be an oxygen thief.

I personally find caffeine along with some film soundtracks to be the best stimulant. Usually I crack open a red bull (yes, I know it's terrible) and play some American Beauty OST- that usually does the trick.

Personally I'm more into film so I tend to screenwrite a lot whether it be features or shorts but I'd say I've got just around 300 pages under my belt from that alone. Aside from that I try and maintain my blog by posting daily but that's come to a halt ever since I've started my novel. I've also written a bit of prose and poetry so that's all well.

Hopefully I will be able to share much of this within this community and they can help me as I will try to help them.

And I'll leave you with a comedy poem I wrote up one day:

Senora Schock sputtered Spanish

Tom twiddled his thumbs,

thinking of anything but his tarea

Quires comprar cosas que cuestan muchas?

rapidly requestioned Senora

racing the clock before it reached the hora

Drew doodled, documenting the

melancholy manuerisms of la maestra

The bell rang, books slammed

she bid them farewell, with bittersweet relief

RIGg0rMORtis
RIGg0rMORtis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 11:01 AM Reply

Is this a Newgrounds Anthology post?

Yes

Am I posting it here because I don't have front page privileges?

Possibly

Mainly, I wanted directed more at the writing community than Newgrounds at large. I think that the Writing Anthology represents a greater opportunity than giving a group of writers a chance to get their stuff published (which, granted, is a pretty great opportunity in and of itself).

This is a chance to lend credibility to the Newgrounds writing community.

This is the first major project on this site I can remember that is by writers, for writers, and writers alone. This isn't screenplay credit on a flash, or story credit on a game. It's words, on paper, that don't need any purty pictures to help them. Supporting this project is the best way to show that writing can grow to be a core part of the Newgrounds identity.

Tom Fulp will undoubtedly be canonized as a patron saint of amateur internet artists. I'm sure that, over the years, he has taken risks on new or unproven talent time and time again. However, while Newgrounds can be, at its best, a nurturing place, it isn't a charity. At the end of the day, Tom has to make decisions that will keep this place running.

What keeps this place running?

Money

Flash, games, audio, and art bring viewers; that much is granted. Viewers watch ads and buy stuff. That's why it's good business to support those four media. We can now show that it's good business to support writing. How?

By blowing the goddam lid off that Kickstarter.

We are literally voting for the future of the Newgrounds writing community with our wallets. Every dollar in that fund over $1000 is a vote for official support of the writing community. Every dollar shows Tom that a writing portal isn't a risk, but an investment. Instead of buying more angry birds or whatever, you spent your money on words put in order by people who care.

So get out there and invest some money in this place.

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:24 PM Reply

At 6/22/12 11:01 AM, RIGg0rMORtis wrote: So get out there and invest some money in this place.

Well said, and well reasoned. I'm sure Ekublai will appreciate it. I agree with you 100%. This stands to be powerful leverage for the Lit portal. Perhaps one project may not be sufficient, but if we can consistently put something out, perhaps that will provide all the evidence we need. I've proven to be a flake, and I'm sure Ekublai would blanch at the thought of having to do all this work over again, but it stands to reason that doing it again (and again) would be a good step forward.

Loki
Loki
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jun. 25th, 2012 @ 01:46 AM Reply

The greatest thrill about creating an universe and having many different stories happening in it is well...

Creating new adventures out of it, and having them all related somehow.

Having a ton of completely different characters, who all have at least one thing in common at some point.

I'm currently writing a substory about a "vigilante", a substory about a Roman woman BC, and my main story which takes place 12,000 AD.

I love writing.

themysterymeatman
themysterymeatman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jun. 25th, 2012 @ 05:11 PM Reply

I know this may seem like a stupid question, but did anybody in the writing forum attend Pico Day? If so, what was it like? Did people ask what you did on Newgrounds? Was the answer "I'm a frequent contributor on the writing forum" met with an "Oh..." as they awkwardly moved over to get so-and-so's autograph? I saw a lot of NG users (mostly the "animating elite") talk about how much of a blast they had, so I wanted to know if anyone from here has any stories they'd like to share.

Loki
Loki
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jun. 25th, 2012 @ 09:02 PM Reply

At 6/25/12 05:11 PM, themysterymeatman wrote: I know this may seem like a stupid question, but did anybody in the writing forum attend Pico Day? If so, what was it like? Did people ask what you did on Newgrounds? Was the answer "I'm a frequent contributor on the writing forum" met with an "Oh..." as they awkwardly moved over to get so-and-so's autograph? I saw a lot of NG users (mostly the "animating elite") talk about how much of a blast they had, so I wanted to know if anyone from here has any stories they'd like to share.

I went to the Pico Day events twice, in 2010 and 2011.

And no, I never mentioned the Writing Forums.

It's a blast, yes.

BrownCan
BrownCan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jun. 26th, 2012 @ 07:15 PM Reply

To write you need good writing skills.

"Do not consider it proof just because it is written in books, for a liar who will deceive with his tongue will not hesitate to do the same with his pen."

"Animations depends on creativity" Term Paper Writing Services;
"Extensive researches have access from scholarly sources" Research Paper Writing Services

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 07:50 PM Reply

Finished the rough outline for book one, working on the synopsis/detailed outline. At the same time, I'm tossing around thoughts for book 2 and 3. Oddly enough, what's working for me is structure. I'm writing/plotting from 8 - 10 Monday through Friday. I just hone in, zone out; not worried about anything else because it's all already planned for. If you're having a tough time focusing, I'd really recommend it!

I'd also recommend Roz Morris' book, Nail Your Novel. It really helps to figure out your process. Some good stuff. I've definitely noticed a marked improvement in my perception of molding a novel.

Especially that pesky second act!
Lobolopez
Lobolopez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jun. 29th, 2012 @ 01:56 PM Reply

Hello everyone. After some years around NG and a practically nule participation I've decided to move my lazy ass and start doing something creative for real. Starting with writing all the fiction I've been creating for four years: first finishing and translating the story I talked about on the forums, so I can finally post it here.
Now I've finished finals and the summer is ahead I have enough time to do so, and no excuses to leave it for another time, except today, I have a hangover.

You might ask why is this moron writing about it instead of actually doing it?, well the answer is simple, I'm lazy as hell and I won't do anything unless I promise someone to do so, or something like that, I don't know if I'm expressing it right.

Anyway, I pledge to post something by September, and if I don't do so I want you to call Dr. Emmet Brown, travel to the future and hack Skynet so it thinks I'm John Connor.

So see you on September, or crazy robots hunting me :D

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jul. 18th, 2012 @ 10:49 PM Reply

Serials...

As an example of quality story telling, entertainment, multimedia fodder, time killers. I think we could do one together, or separately. Either way, a really well planned serial; namely, well plotted, well written, and polished; would be a great tool for the forum. It'll grab attention, it'll serve as a measuring stick, and it'll help get that quality bar set. I was thinking a good idea for an MWC, at some point, would be to write what the next part of the serial would be and whoever comes up with the best would not only win the prize, but have the opportunity to help create and maintain it. I'm sure there's possibility for other tie ins, but that's just the first thing that came to mind.

Procrastinating. Odd how I get the most random ideas when I'm trying to do homework.
BrianEtrius
BrianEtrius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jul. 18th, 2012 @ 11:25 PM Reply

At 7/18/12 10:49 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: Serials

I eat those for breakfast every morning!

whoops, wrong cereals. But when I finish the box, am I a cereal killer?

In all seriousness though, it sounds like a great idea for collabroative project for the writers of this forum. My concern?The number of people who would be willing to take part. Seems like there's a few regs here enough to generate interest but will it be enough? God knows the last thing we want is writing with no thought behind it.

New to Politics?/ Friend of the Devil/ I review writing! PM me
"Question everything generally thought to be obvious."-Dieter Rams

BBS Signature
starwarsjunkie
starwarsjunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jul. 18th, 2012 @ 11:41 PM Reply

At 7/18/12 10:49 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: Serials...

I think that sounds like an awesome idea! I'd definitely be up for participating.

Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!

starwarsjunkie
starwarsjunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jul. 20th, 2012 @ 11:45 AM Reply

At 7/20/12 10:20 AM, Amaranthus wrote: I've been trying to find some good names for the protagonists but every time I think of one I start doubting.

I hate trying to name things/places/people. It's tough. I try and find something believable, yet not cliched.

EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jul. 20th, 2012 @ 01:00 PM Reply

We did it! $800 over our goal! Excellent!

BBS Signature
starwarsjunkie
starwarsjunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jul. 20th, 2012 @ 03:55 PM Reply

At 7/20/12 01:00 PM, EKublai wrote: We did it! $800 over our goal! Excellent!

Huzzah! Promotions all around!

revengeofthefallen
revengeofthefallen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Melancholy
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jul. 21st, 2012 @ 12:35 AM Reply

Hi everyone! I'm Riella! Or Tarra, depending on what kind of a day I'm having. But today I'm Riella.
This is my first post on the BBS, so...
I was wondering if anyone was interested in reading the prologue to my story.
The prologue to "Frozen Fire"
Tell me what you think!

Homestuck? I think yyou mean the end of myy social life.

tinytim12
tinytim12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jul. 21st, 2012 @ 02:07 AM Reply

At 7/21/12 12:35 AM, revengeofthefallen wrote: Hi everyone! I'm Riella! Or Tarra, depending on what kind of a day I'm having. But today I'm Riella.
Tell me what you think!

Relationship between Dylan and the protagonist needs to be developed more. I don't feel anything for them, I don't have a clue why she's supposed to be so sad or why he's supposed to be such a bastard because I know very little about them.

Unless you're planning on expanding it further in the future.

When I got outside, the purple fog was spreading. I covered my nose and mouth, and ran home.

BBS Signature
revengeofthefallen
revengeofthefallen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Melancholy
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jul. 21st, 2012 @ 02:59 PM Reply

At 7/21/12 02:07 AM, tinytim12 wrote:
At 7/21/12 12:35 AM, revengeofthefallen wrote: Hi everyone! I'm Riella! Or Tarra, depending on what kind of a day I'm having. But today I'm Riella.
Tell me what you think!
Relationship between Dylan and the protagonist needs to be developed more. I don't feel anything for them, I don't have a clue why she's supposed to be so sad or why he's supposed to be such a bastard because I know very little about them.

Unless you're planning on expanding it further in the future.

Actually, I am planning on expanding it. Dylan will be reintroduced into the storyline later. I plan on writing it like Flipped where both main characters tell their version of events in turn.
But you just reminded me that I forgot to put her name into the prologue. Thanks!

Homestuck? I think yyou mean the end of myy social life.

starwarsjunkie
starwarsjunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jul. 21st, 2012 @ 08:49 PM Reply

Tell me what you think!

I hope this isn't the very beginning of the story. I feel like the main character is rushing through things that could use some more explaining. Instead of giving us the backstory in a rush at the beginning, you should find a way to work it into the story better.

You go pretty in depth into what the ice-lady's wearing. You probably don't need to.

Could be a cool story when you've fleshed out the plot and characters more.

Also one sentence I found doesn't make sense: "The winter chill was striking the air" I think it went.

EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jul. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:48 PM Reply

With a sword, you can carve into anything you like. With a pen, you can only carve into paper once you have carved into yourself.

BBS Signature
Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jul. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:01 PM Reply

At 7/22/12 09:48 PM, EKublai wrote: With a sword, you can carve into anything you like. With a pen, you can only carve into paper once you have carved into yourself.

With bombs you can blow up nations. With words you can blow up minds.

starwarsjunkie
starwarsjunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jul. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:19 PM Reply

At 7/22/12 09:48 PM, EKublai wrote: With a sword, you can carve into anything you like. With a pen, you can only carve into paper once you have carved into yourself.

A gun will give you the power of destruction for a moment. A pen will give you the power of creation forever. (Or until its ink runs out)

RapeMuffin
RapeMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jul. 22nd, 2012 @ 10:39 PM Reply

I haven't posted in a while, and I was wondering: Are we allowed to post WIPs in the Writing Forum?

I have a story that has been half-finished for a few months, and I'm going to have 2 weeks of free time coming up in which I'm hoping to try and finish it.

Is it possible to post a work in progress in this forum? I'm just looking for some feedback (e.g. should I bother finishing it? Or just scrap it? Do certain parts need more work than others? etc.)

Question two: Any competitions going on?

BBS Signature
starwarsjunkie
starwarsjunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jul. 22nd, 2012 @ 11:32 PM Reply

At 7/22/12 10:39 PM, RapeMuffin wrote: I haven't posted in a while, and I was wondering: Are we allowed to post WIPs in the Writing Forum?

Most everything that's posted in this forum is a WIP.

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jul. 23rd, 2012 @ 07:43 AM Reply

At 7/22/12 11:32 PM, starwarsjunkie wrote:
At 7/22/12 10:39 PM, RapeMuffin wrote: I haven't posted in a while, and I was wondering: Are we allowed to post WIPs in the Writing Forum?
Everything that's posted in this forum is a WIP.

Fix'd.

RapeMuffin, if you're going to post a WIP, make sure you identify your objective. Meaning, what are you looking for help with, what do you think are your weak points, which characters you think are weak, etc. You can also post in the thread in my signature to request a review (which only requires you to review someone esle's work before hand :P).

RapeMuffin
RapeMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Jul. 23rd, 2012 @ 12:52 PM Reply

At 7/23/12 07:43 AM, Deathcon7 wrote: RapeMuffin, if you're going to post a WIP...

Alright - cool, thank you.

I may take you up on that offer.

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Sep. 7th, 2012 @ 04:00 PM Reply

Interview with Tom Fulp

Wanna ask the creator of Newgrounds, Tom Fulp a question? Well you can! The Interviewer is putting the power in your hands to ask the questions. Just click above!

Also yes, Tom Fulp has given permission to do this thread.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Lounge Sep. 7th, 2012 @ 08:09 PM Reply

At 9/7/12 04:00 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Interview with Tom Fulp

Wanna ask the creator of Newgrounds, Tom Fulp a question? Well you can! The Interviewer is putting the power in your hands to ask the questions. Just click above!

Posted.

Also, most of the people who posted have the cogency of a 12 year-old girl on Facebook (a point I tried to make) and most of the questions are hopelessly inane; so, at least one (if not all) of my questions should make it through. I highly urge everyone here to post a well thought-out question, since the average level of intelligence here is at least 2 standard deviations above General's. I can't imagine anyone's question being rejected.

P.S. Sorry for that statistic joke -__-

Despite the name, I'm actually good--Deft, and good!

Giving out reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature