New Topic Respond to this Topic
CaptAcid
CaptAcid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-05 22:49:02 Reply

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately I have a new problem, I am at 4700 words. Time to cut some things out :(

WeHaveFreshCookies
WeHaveFreshCookies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Game Developer
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-06 00:46:00 Reply

At 6/5/09 10:49 PM, CaptAcid wrote: Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately I have a new problem, I am at 4700 words. Time to cut some things out :(

I would suggest posting the story in your userpage to try to get some feedback. I'd be glad to read and review. Also, you should start the cutting at some of the more unneeded details. Then move on to parts of the story that don't 100% matter. It's tough business, cutting. But it has to be done.

Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-06 01:32:09 Reply

Working on my story which is going to fall mostly under the comedy banner. I'm probably going to run down the deadline ironing this out as I steadfastly believe that good humor is much more challenging to write than drama. In drama there's room to be a little off with your delivery and still tell a decent story. When you're writing comedic fiction it's all or nothing, you either hit a bullseye or you fail. Plus, it's not like writing a joke on the BBS where your reader is already in a relaxed conversation mode, you have to generate that willing to laugh mentality in your reader. Even with the novels that I've found the funniest it usually takes me few chapters to become familiar with the characters and writing style to the point where I'm actually laughing. So my personal challenge with this contest is to be genuinely funny within a very limited amount of space.

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
CaptAcid
CaptAcid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-06 02:40:46 Reply

Ok, for any who are interested, I have my uncut version/Rough Draft of what I am calling "Honeymoon" for now on my user page if you wish to read it and comment on it. Any suggestions or compliments are highly appreciated!

Lost-Chances
Lost-Chances
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-06 08:17:14 Reply

Well, I managed to do a rough copy of Clouds In The Sky (which I finished shortly after a ban was handed out to me (fuck you)) which I'm now currently trying to either decide to either edit that and make it seem better (even though I mostly dislike Clouds In The Sky) or to work on a new story and use that (which I have day-dreamed a few ideas so far).

This too will pass.
Memento mori

BBS Signature
SCUD14
SCUD14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-06 20:19:48 Reply

At 6/6/09 08:15 PM, Fyndir wrote: I just wanted to bump this to lessen the number of "aww, I would have taken part but I didn't know about it" posts after the contest ends.

They're inevitable.

Stop looking

gamerpeepinpa
gamerpeepinpa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-06 20:20:42 Reply

Ok, I have a clear idea for what I'm gonna do for the contest, but then the more I thought about it, the more I added on to the story, so now it looks like it'll have sequels and things. I'm only submitting the first part since it's the one that takes place on the island. But yeah, anyway, I posted the prologue on my page, if anyone wants to read it. It's not the actual story, I'm still working on that.

hi

RabidSquirrelStudios
RabidSquirrelStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-07 10:27:31 Reply

My crappy submission is up there; what'd ya guys think?

RabidSquirrelStudios
RabidSquirrelStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-07 10:40:07 Reply

Oh shit, just saw I said "waste" instead of "waist" >.<

SCUD14
SCUD14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-07 13:14:26 Reply

Restarted, yay!

Stop looking

amador10
amador10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-08 10:32:17 Reply

This is my story so far. Any comment would be appreciated.

BBS Signature
Luxury-Yacht
Luxury-Yacht
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Movie Buff
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-08 11:29:47 Reply

I was going to submit my finished product over the weekend, but 2 things stopped me.

1) I went to a party Thursday night and woke up with the worst hangover I've ever experienced. I was aching until 5 P.M., and I threw up at noon from the headache. I still felt shitty for a couple days afterwards.

2) My sister bought Silent Hill 3, and she pretty much needs me in the room when she's playing it, otherwise she's too scared to do so. I don't mind though, since it's a pretty sweet game, and I decided to start a file of my own, but unfortunately, it's eating up a good chunk of my time.

I'll finish my story eventually, since there's plenty of time until the end of the month. I'd also appreciate some more feedback in my blog, if anyone is bored enough to do so.

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i
oh no I am choking on a million dicks

BBS Signature
Vegeton
Vegeton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Artist
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-08 17:32:10 Reply

Wow, I just noticed my specific characters for the names of the Hawaiian islands messed up and appeared all like "%20BB" lol. That sucks..

XBOX LIVE /// KevRS

BBS Signature
CaptAcid
CaptAcid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-08 17:44:08 Reply

At 6/6/09 08:20 PM, gamerpeepinpa wrote: Ok, I have a clear idea for what I'm gonna do for the contest, but then the more I thought about it, the more I added on to the story, so now it looks like it'll have sequels and things. I'm only submitting the first part since it's the one that takes place on the island. But yeah, anyway, I posted the prologue on my page, if anyone wants to read it. It's not the actual story, I'm still working on that.

Just keep in mind, you still want to have a definite beginning, middle and end for the contest. Someone in last month's contest did what you are going to do but was marked down because the story didnt have a conclusion, because it was multiple parts. Just an FYI.

gamerpeepinpa
gamerpeepinpa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-08 18:04:37 Reply

At 6/8/09 05:44 PM, CaptAcid wrote: Just keep in mind, you still want to have a definite beginning, middle and end for the contest. Someone in last month's contest did what you are going to do but was marked down because the story didnt have a conclusion, because it was multiple parts. Just an FYI.

Yeah, I'm probably gonna edit it a bit just for this contest so that it can stand on its own.

hi

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-08 23:29:48 Reply

Is it me, or should the submissions thread be opened later on in the contest? I've already seen a couple of submissions and according to my superiority complex, they weren't very good. I mean, it's only been eight days into the competition, at least spend some time editing. Add some substance, put some thought into it. I know this competition is meant to be fun, but if you finished your submission over the course of an hour or so, chances are you're only creating more work for the judges to later discard. In a competition, the purpose is to win. If you submit something with blatant knowledge that you know you're not going to win, then you're wasting everyones time. I hate to do this but a good example is the submission that is one block of text. It's not very long so in the long run it won't really cause too much headache, but imagine a block of text 4 posts long.

Anyways, rant aside I think it'd be more encouraging for editing and proof-reading if people couldn't just submit their stuff straight away. I'll probably be completely done by day 16, but I'm not posting it until at least the end of the third week. This buffer will give me enough time to re-read and edit and still leave time to possibly get some community feedback.

CaptAcid
CaptAcid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-09 00:09:20 Reply

At 6/8/09 11:29 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: Is it me, or should the submissions thread be opened later on in the contest? I've already seen a couple of submissions and according to my superiority complex, they weren't very good. I mean, it's only been eight days into the competition, at least spend some time editing. Add some substance, put some thought into it. I know this competition is meant to be fun, but if you finished your submission over the course of an hour or so, chances are you're only creating more work for the judges to later discard. In a competition, the purpose is to win. If you submit something with blatant knowledge that you know you're not going to win, then you're wasting everyones time. I hate to do this but a good example is the submission that is one block of text. It's not very long so in the long run it won't really cause too much headache, but imagine a block of text 4 posts long.

Anyways, rant aside I think it'd be more encouraging for editing and proof-reading if people couldn't just submit their stuff straight away. I'll probably be completely done by day 16, but I'm not posting it until at least the end of the third week. This buffer will give me enough time to re-read and edit and still leave time to possibly get some community feedback.

I second that. I would recommend to others what was recommended to me: post your rough draft on your user page and encourage others to review your work. Then review theirs if they are in the competition. It really does help and it will improve your abitlity to convey what you want your story to say to your audience.

WeHaveFreshCookies
WeHaveFreshCookies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Game Developer
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-09 00:10:10 Reply

At 6/8/09 11:29 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: I've already seen a couple of submissions and according to my superiority complex, they weren't very good. I mean, it's only been eight days into the competition, at least spend some time editing. Add some substance, put some thought into it. If you finished your submission over the course of an hour or so, chances are you're only creating more work for the judges to later discard. In a competition, the purpose is to win. If you submit something with blatant knowledge that you know you're not going to win, then you're wasting everyone's time.

Hey. I submitted rather quickly. Just last night, in fact. And I think mine was pretty good. I stand a fighting chance at winning. Or maybe you weren't actually referring to me. <=/

TheLameSauce
TheLameSauce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-09 00:12:56 Reply

At 6/8/09 11:29 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: Anyways, rant aside I think it'd be more encouraging for editing and proof-reading if people couldn't just submit their stuff straight away. I'll probably be completely done by day 16, but I'm not posting it until at least the end of the third week. This buffer will give me enough time to re-read and edit and still leave time to possibly get some community feedback.

cut people some slack. a lot of them can't piece together two sentences. although, in a way i sort of agree. i think if i were to be a judge i would give half the stories a zero after two sentences.

tl;dr, lolwut?, put in your blog, etc.
blakedatch
blakedatch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-09 01:05:38 Reply

At 6/8/09 11:29 PM, Deathcon7 wrote:

"In a competition, the purpose is to win. If you submit something with blatant knowledge that you know you're not going to win, then you're wasting everyones time."

Perhaps more appropriately, a contest's purpose is to learn from seeing the results of your submission against the winners'. Those who submitted earlier than they should have will see in a month what the consequences are. And although I have yet to read the submissions, judging from some of the other stuff I have read, some people really think they are going to win. Opening the submissions thread at a later date will only prolong the time some people do not look at their submissions. While I do agree with your advice that everyone should do some extensive revision on their pieces before they submit, I think we should all watch out words before we turn in our own submissions. So, to follow my own words, I'll shut up.

CaptAcid
CaptAcid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-09 02:02:57 Reply

At 6/9/09 01:05 AM, blakedatch wrote:
At 6/8/09 11:29 PM, Deathcon7 wrote:
"In a competition, the purpose is to win. If you submit something with blatant knowledge that you know you're not going to win, then you're wasting everyones time."

Perhaps more appropriately, a contest's purpose is to learn from seeing the results of your submission against the winners'. Those who submitted earlier than they should have will see in a month what the consequences are. And although I have yet to read the submissions, judging from some of the other stuff I have read, some people really think they are going to win. Opening the submissions thread at a later date will only prolong the time some people do not look at their submissions. While I do agree with your advice that everyone should do some extensive revision on their pieces before they submit, I think we should all watch out words before we turn in our own submissions. So, to follow my own words, I'll shut up.

lol I cant help but remember you have read my rough draft while reading your comment. Your responses to my story are actually what I was thinking of while reading these replies because you provided good, honest criticism. Thats what writers really need, so they can improve their ability. I think thats what we are all agreeing on here, that those who take advantage of the revision process will reap the rewards their patiance has bestowed upon them.

So in that spirit, thanks for taking the time to review my story and give me feedback :)

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-09 05:04:03 Reply

Look up contest. It's a struggle for victory, not a struggle to compare your results to that of the winner to see where you can improve. That being said, I'm looking at trying to cut about 2,000 words from mine as it stands. It's very rough at this point and while I think it's good enough to win, not only does the word count disallow me from submitting it, but my better judgement tells me that there's a lot of rough spots in it that I need to smooth out and a lot of junk words i can cut.

<deleted>
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-09 09:39:07 Reply

At 6/9/09 05:04 AM, Deathcon7 wrote: Look up contest. It's a struggle for victory, not a struggle to compare your results to that of the winner to see where you can improve.

I can see what you're saying about having the entries thread opened up later. I'd be worried that if this was the case, then the rules and so on might get lost, but I suppose a forum mod could do the honours and lock/unlock the entries thread where appropriate.

I do have some issues otherwise though. I do personally like to encourage users to proof-read, edit and get some feedback from elsewhere before submitting their entry, but I also want people to get involved as much as possible. You've probably noticed that Newgrounds, as of now, doesn't have the strongest of sub-communities regarding writers, just by how the website currently works. It's also for this reason that some people aren't really looking to win, but to write the first thing that comes into their head without much thought to skill, seeing as how credit is offered as a reward. I've stayed out of this month's entries thread up till now, but there were similar examples of what describe last month anyway.

I'm not sure what my point here is exactly, but I'm trying to bring up somewhere that some users just won't be taking it "seriously", not in a stuffy way, but because it's a casual competition. If something is written pretty atrociously, it will be reflected in the scores. "Bad" entries, at least over here, can be swept aside pretty quickly, if I'm being honest. Thumbs up with the work you seem to be putting in to your entry: I'll be looking forward to it!

I'm not really a big fan of this idea of opening the thread later, if I'm honest with you. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic in that I feel that a user being turned off by that concept (in that they might have to try harder) would lose possible motivation to improve, by the results. I don't know if I'm making any sense, but that's how I feel. Writing's not easy, but I'm not expecting masterpieces here. I would think I'm not alone there anyway.

Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-09 12:01:39 Reply

At 6/9/09 05:20 AM, Fyndir wrote: Man, I really hope your story is shit now.

It would make me laugh.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

At 6/9/09 09:39 AM, Scarab wrote: I'm not really a big fan of this idea of opening the thread later, if I'm honest with you. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic in that I feel that a user being turned off by that concept (in that they might have to try harder) would lose possible motivation to improve, by the results. I don't know if I'm making any sense, but that's how I feel. Writing's not easy, but I'm not expecting masterpieces here. I would think I'm not alone there anyway.

I see what your saying. I guess, so long as the judges don't mind having to wade through it, it's not so bad of a problem, just an idea. The last month I competed in, February, took quite some time to get judged so I thought it might be a good way to promote thought and editing. In the end though, it's probably not worth it, as the really bad submissions are pretty easy to spot.

<deleted>
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-09 13:04:52 Reply

At 6/9/09 12:01 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: I see what your saying. I guess, so long as the judges don't mind having to wade through it, it's not so bad of a problem, just an idea.

Of course. These things are still in their early days, so I'm sure ideas from competitors are appreciated by those involved in organising the contests. I know of one or two others that have been sent off.

The last month I competed in, February, took quite some time to get judged so I thought it might be a good way to promote thought and editing.

While not knowing exactly what was up, I believe there were more internal issues with the judging in February. gumOnShoe was ill at one point, if I remember correctly for example. As I said, I'm all for encouraging thought-out submissions being made, but a part of me thinks that the entrants that want to do that are doing so already, so we might be... erm, preaching to the converted, I think is how the saying goes.

I think it might work better an idea for a longer-term contest. I know there was a little bit of talk on the BBS a while ago about contests on a larger-scale with more judges and higher word limits, set to have entrants working on their pieces over a few months. Something like that would probably be easier to set up once the Literature Portal is released, but it would still be good to get people involved and thinking harder if a contest like that ever came about.

blakedatch
blakedatch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-09 20:27:11 Reply

At 6/9/09 05:04 AM, Deathcon7 wrote: Look up contest. It's a struggle for victory, not a struggle to compare your results to that of the winner to see where you can improve.

I'm sure your dictionary definition is correct, but words can have other purposes than their denotative ones, something I thought a writer like you would understand. Although I do not mean to make this an argument (for I also am frustrated by the same things you have described), I wish only to make my opinion clear. I did read most of the submissions from the past two contests, and although some of them made me feel less certain about my own writing, I still prepared my story. My purpose was not exactly to win but to gain experience, both by entering a contest and being humbled and by having my work critiqued. Perhaps you feel this is just extra work for the judges, but perhaps it's part of their job to wade through it all. Or perhaps you are confidant enough in your writing that you only see contests as a means to gain monetary rewards. Fair enough, if that's the answer, but for others, number one isn't exactly the goal.

To end on a more pleasant note, I look forward to reading your submission if you happen to make those revisions you wanted and submit it. Despite our disagreements, I trust you when you say you're quite the skilled writer.

CaptAcid
CaptAcid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-09 20:37:16 Reply

On a somewhat different note, my editing has ceased at the moment due to job and the release of prototype. Hopefully I can get back on track soon :)

And maybe I am procrastinating because I still dont want to cut my story. Maybe.

Luxury-Yacht
Luxury-Yacht
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Movie Buff
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-09 22:31:21 Reply

Okay, I added about 500 words, and I'm still adding more. My updated version is on my userpage if anyone wants to critique it. I may update it again later tonight, but first I'd like to see what people think of the changes I made.

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i
oh no I am choking on a million dicks

BBS Signature
RapeMuffin
RapeMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-09 22:39:36 Reply

It seems like everyone is keeping the group updated about where they are on their own stories, which is very cool to see (in my opinion). The encouragement and anticipation is great.

Anyway, I'm still hashing out my story in my mind, and will likely start writing sometime this week. I take a weird approach with my writing - I either:
a) just sit down and write out the idea as it comes to me, not knowing where the tale will end up, or...
b) flush out the entire thing in my head before I write one word and then put it on paper at the very end.

I don't know which works better, but sometime you just need to let these things work themselves out. Good luck everyone!

BBS Signature
CaptAcid
CaptAcid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Mwc9: June: Island Escape: Talk! 2009-06-10 01:24:31 Reply

At 6/9/09 10:39 PM, RapeMuffin wrote: It seems like everyone is keeping the group updated about where they are on their own stories, which is very cool to see (in my opinion). The encouragement and anticipation is great.

Anyway, I'm still hashing out my story in my mind, and will likely start writing sometime this week. I take a weird approach with my writing - I either:
a) just sit down and write out the idea as it comes to me, not knowing where the tale will end up, or...
b) flush out the entire thing in my head before I write one word and then put it on paper at the very end.

I don't know which works better, but sometime you just need to let these things work themselves out. Good luck everyone!

I usually figure out what I really like writing about in a particular story I am working on. For example, perhaps I have the oppurtunity to clash certain personalities and I want to write their diologue. Or maybe the story will take place someplace exotic so I focus on that as my foundation and build my story around it. Thats how I typically operate. I create 5 or 6 major plot points and then work on the connecting bridges of logic between the points. It seems to work well, I get to write what I like, and its good for the coherance of the story. Although I have never had a real word limitation before so thats been my first major snag. More to the point, I never thought I would reach it. So when I did, I was sort of lost :p

Glad to see more people chatting on the thread, Im all for increasing the community excitment about these contests, and if we make it inviting to be here, hopefully the contests will get bigger!