New Topic Respond to this Topic
EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Writing Forum Highlights 2012-06-25 01:24:03 Reply

The Writing Forum isn't exactly getting flooded with crap writing, but in an effort to sort through it all for people, as well as emphasize a cooperative struggle for quality on the forum, I wanted to start a thread designed to highlight particular stories and poetry I feel best represent this goal. I'm not going to be picky for my part. If you show talent in the craft of writing, I'll will probably overlook minor grammar mistake and copy paste errors. However, while I'm looking for quality writing, I'm also looking for members who demonstrate that they can be a vital part of the community as both writer and critical reader.'

I'm not going to heed people requesting to have their work looked at. Trust me, if you post it on this forum, I will look at it and make a judgement. I will let people know if their work is good but I don't feel comfortable promoting their story because they're not contributing to threads beside their own. So let's try this and see how it unfolds over the next few weeks.

The best thing you can do for this forum is read and comment. Read and comment.

Faces of Decay by RawEmpire

Really solid beginning to a zombie story. Visceral details with a strong voice is great for describing action.

Lighter (Poem) by TidalH2

Really nice rhythm. Some word choice quibbles, but he makes something really lovely out of simple lines.

Midnight Alleyway Cigarette

I'm hoping this will bring BrianEtrius over to the writing forum more often. I see him all over the BBS in general and politics. This was a nice attempt that is, again, simple but effective at creating some mood and voice.

Wendy's is Fucking Depressing

Pretty funny. I want to see more out of this guy. We need more well-written comedy on this forum.

Untitled Creepy Story by ScaryPicnic

Lovely details actually results in a creepy story, what a surprise. People looking to write creepy or scary stories, check this out.

Untitled by Solid Toad

Was a little hesitant about this at first, but ultimately I'd like to see this guy get comments so he can improve on his work. I wish he participated in critiquing other's work more, but as we encourage writers, we encourage them to find out what good writing really is.

People who post good stories, but don't contribute enough, (IMO):

McAwesomepants123 (Really love the most recent stuff, but start commenting on other's stories if you want more feedback on your stuff)

NoisyAssassin (Looks like you're just a hit-and-run writer. Get involved or don't bother posting.)

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Highlights 2012-06-25 02:39:55 Reply

At 6/25/12 01:24 AM, EKublai wrote:
Untitled Creepy Story by ScaryPicnic

Lovely details actually results in a creepy story, what a surprise. People looking to write creepy or scary stories, check this out.

He's impressed me before and he's impressed me again. This dude is highly recommended. Seriously, do yourself a favor.

Despite the name, I'm actually good--Deft, and good!

Giving out reviews to anyone who wants them (exception: poems. I'll find you).

BBS Signature
Chapter11
Chapter11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Highlights 2012-06-25 07:52:32 Reply

Just think how much easier it'd be if writers were actually treated with respect here and had our own portal and hub, rather than a half dead sub forum.

DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Highlights 2012-06-25 11:56:42 Reply

At 6/25/12 07:52 AM, Chapter11 wrote: Just think how much easier it'd be if writers were actually treated with respect here and had our own portal and hub, rather than a half dead sub forum.

I don't know how it'd be easier. There'd just be a wave of half-assed stories from a flood of crappy writers. I can't imagine anyone receiving relevant, useful commentary, much less comprehensive and constructive criticism. I don't think NG is ready for a Lit Portal just yet.

BBS Signature
themysterymeatman
themysterymeatman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Writing Forum Highlights 2012-06-25 13:35:25 Reply

The "Wendy's is Fucking Depressing" link doesn't work (I get sent to the Alleyway story instead).

EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Writing Forum Highlights 2012-06-25 15:15:11 Reply

At 6/25/12 01:35 PM, themysterymeatman wrote: The "Wendy's is Fucking Depressing" link doesn't work (I get sent to the Alleyway story instead).

Thanks for letting me know.

Wendy's is Fucking Depressing

BBS Signature
Deathcon7
Deathcon7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Highlights 2012-06-25 20:22:47 Reply

I like this. This'll be a great vehicle for encouraging participation. The the writing lounge... only useful! :P

TidalH2
TidalH2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Writing Forum Highlights 2012-06-30 18:41:26 Reply

thumbs up for compiling everything instead of making people hunt down, also thanks for mentioning me

munio
munio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Highlights 2012-06-30 19:15:18 Reply

i'm gonna search around the forum sometime to find some of the great stars, altough i really like to reccomend some on the work of trevorW and BrianEterus (i will look the specific stories up later)

BBS Signature
EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Writing Forum Highlights 2012-07-01 23:51:29 Reply

A Fledgling Firework by mhzinski

A great metaphor piece. Has that "timeless" quality in its writing that makes it seem like it could have been written during any of the past three centuries. I see a lot of poets on here attempt to do this, but few get it right in the way mhzinski does so here.

BBS Signature
starwarsjunkie
starwarsjunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Highlights 2012-07-03 00:44:10 Reply

Thanks for putting all these in one place!

Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!

EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Writing Forum Highlights 2012-08-02 18:26:49 Reply

Okay. The pickings havre been a bit slim recently. But I think there were enough new faces and good piece to deserve an update.

Highlight of the Update

The Race by RenandChi2

From the first paragraph, this piece has a real strength in characterization and setting. The tone is casual but sincere. My favorite bit is at the beginning with how the character defines the world by the smell of cocaine, despite not being a user.

Other Great Stuff

One Last Time by Mhzinski

So far this is the only "track" of Mhzinski's "Songs of Love" series that I realistically imagine being put to music. His other stuff, while fine poetry, doesn't have enough variety to be anything other than a chant. With this one, I really like how he uses the change of seasons to create a sort of spiral of desperation and ache. I have quibbles with his word choice at the end of lines, which I feel make it suffer musically, but great stuff.

Venus and Mars by Mhzinski

Just solid poetry. As mentioned above, I don't really see how musical it is. There's a certain blandness that prevents me from hearing them as lyrics. But a lot of carefully chosen words and turns of phrases in this one.

And, not a story, but a pretty neat idea by a new face.

The Premise to a Novel by.....*sigh* Cockgobbler

BBS Signature
razem
razem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Highlights 2012-08-02 21:05:30 Reply

Thanks for this thread, it was helpful.

Enamour
Enamour
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Highlights 2012-08-05 07:44:35 Reply

Thanks for the thread Ekublai; easier to find something to read.

Haha, you said cock and gobble in the same word! High five!

EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Writing Forum Highlights 2012-08-12 17:02:11 Reply

Today we've got a very special highlight for you all today. It's not a story or poem (those will comes later), but a user highlight.

Introducing the most important user on the Writing Forum:

Lit101

Lit101 will be the Newgrounds Writer's source for everything Writing Forum including writing tutorials!

BBS Signature
TrevorW
TrevorW
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Highlights 2012-08-14 07:01:33 Reply

A big shout out and highlight to the poetry battles that used to happen here! There was a lot of fun to be had and a lot of neat poems came out of it.

Anyways, I dug this up and it made me smile: http://newgroundspoetrybattles.tumblr.com/

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature
EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Writing Forum Highlights 2012-08-30 14:51:10 Reply

BIG UPDATE TODAY!

Really pleased to see some quality stuff come out recently. Again, I want to stress that the thing most glaring coming from the work of the less experienced writers (and trust me, I've violated my share of this guideline) is simple grammar and spelling mistakes. Also the usual MS Word problems have not really cleared up. Work on that guys.

Stories : Featuring two writers from the Newgrounds Writing Anthology

Snow Can Kill by starwarsjunkie
Really tight, action-packed story about mechs in snow, which I've always thought is a pretty cool premise and not done alot (outside of Metal Gear Solid). What I especially like was starwarsjunkie's expert use of phrasing to describe the weaponry ( ie. "mounted a rocket launcher on its back capable of launching sixteen rockets in four round salvos") to make it appear knowledgeable, but engaging.

Chapter 1: The Unexpected Hero by gameguy96
I took this on as a sort of pet project. I just think the story itself (when parsed out by me into something readable) is incredibly entertaining with some great characters that will make for a great longer work. Note: I'm not taking credit for making the story great. The author does not speak English as a first language, and I made minimal changes to precise language. It was more of fixing the mistakes Google translate would have made.

The Man with The Wagon
I have some minor quibbles about some not-so-effective sentences and I don't really agree with the dialecting strategy, but this is a really creepy story with really good characterization. I wish I understood the twist at the end. godhammer wrote "Under the Wicker Basket" in the Newgrounds Writing Anthology.

The Pit by enamour
Not my favorite style, but I doubt Enamour's ever written something that wasn't completely thoughtful and full of writer's experience. Enamour wrote "Coats and Shoes" in the Newgrounds Writing Anthology.

Poetry : Some familiar and not-so-familiar faces.

Untitled by kittenguy1
It's a really simple concept as the author explains in the conversation of the thread, but I was just really taken with some of the imagery, and found the rhyming particularly effective.

Harvest Moon by CoreyNiles92
Not trying to stir up controversy with this pick, but taken on its own merits, this is great poem. It's slightly plodding, but very solid in its conception. The words don't seem wasted.

Songs about Love - 7 by mhzinski
mhzinski does some real interesting typographic stuff in this one, and that immediately makes the poem stand out. I know that if I had tried to write something like it would have turned out angsty and cliche, so well done mh.

Neurobiological Love Song
Mhzinski sums the strengths and weaknesses of this poem pretty well. I am one to err on the side of originality rather than execution (though both are important). It reminds me of a poem you might do for a school project, but with more finesse.

From my mind to yours by Kellz5460
Two great stanzas, one sort of okay one. I often find myself in the bad habit of really rushing an ending and not letting the focus of the poem come into its own in its own time.

Until Next Time, Keep the letters flying off your fingers!

BBS Signature
DeftAndEvil
DeftAndEvil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Writing Forum Highlights 2012-08-30 18:55:24 Reply

At 8/30/12 02:51 PM, EKublai wrote: BIG UPDATE TODAY!

Schweet.

Snow Can Kill by starwarsjunkie

This guy never fails to impress. Sweet action. Lives up to all expectations.

Songs about Love - 7 by mhzinski

Another guy who never fails to impress.

BBS Signature
munio
munio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Writing Forum Highlights 2012-09-01 06:55:53 Reply

you really should include links to the MWC and poetry battles, those where usually pretty good

BBS Signature
EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Writing Forum Highlights 2012-12-30 14:05:10 Reply

Here's the 1st half of a two-part update.

Special Assignment: Write Lyrics to This Song!

It's a very loosely melodied, slow song. It's also an opportunity to spread the skillz beyond the forum... you thugs you.

UPDATE DECEMBER 30th, 2012

Short Stories

Story of the Update: Softly Spoken by Navonodgames

Great characterization in a short space. Wonderful, spare description. Naturalistic dialogue. That old refrain of "needs proof-reading" rings true though.

Untitled by godhammer

An older creepy story that needs to work on its comprehension a bit but does well in creating suspense.

The Faint and The Expressionless by somethingtarnished

A little Ayn Randian piece.

The Storm by CrazySquirrel124

The dialogue isn't too special. But there's good introspective, interior monologue to be found here. The beginnings of a complex character.

Poetry

Poem of the Update: Spirits by Mhzinski

This is different, though not as big a departure of subject matter that MH claims it is. Personally felt it was trying to be a little cutesy, but still a strong piece of work.

Birth of a Poet by DarkFrostPoet

Probably DFP's best poem to date.

The Dastardly Scholar

My knowledge of poetry is pretty bare. Usually when I see a high vocabularly piece like I'm basically looking for BS, but this seems pretty clear-cut with good imagery.

BBS Signature
EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Writing Forum Highlights 2013-04-09 10:19:47 Reply

Due to schoolwork, I don't have much time to update this thread. Everyone should feel free to post highlights as well (please don't post your own work, this isn't a self-promotion thread).

BBS Signature