00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted HoneyGoldenBee supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wide Layout Update 1

42,706 Views | 299 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-28 16:24:40

The new wide layout is OK, but I'll stick to the classic, thanks. The main reason I don't like this new look is because of the "You might also enjoy" panel being right next to the flash. This seems too distracting and may cause viewers to click away from your flash before voting or reviewing the work...so thumbs down on that one. It would be more beneficial for the Author info to go next to the flash instead, that's just my opinion...
But other than that everything else seems to work fine with this design.

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-28 16:31:59

Sounds swell.
Thank you Tom for the update.

COKEHEAD75

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-28 16:33:58

Well, while I'm still not a huge fan of the wide-ness in general, I'm happy Classic mode is an option, and since you're still working on the layout, hopefully most of the bugs will get worked out. Thanks bunches! :]

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-28 16:40:16

When I choose "classic" in the drop down menu for the layout, there is no 'SAVE CHANGES' button? However, there are plenty of 'SAVE CHANGES' buttons for the wide layout, not my concern though.

Perhaps it's just me or my lowsey browser.

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-28 16:48:16

At 5/28/09 03:15 PM, SeethingSwarm wrote: Nice update!
That play button is really ugly and bland, I wish somebody over at the NG office could pretty it up a bit... Other than that, I'm really impressed with where this wide thing is going and that there's an option to keep it classic as well. Thanks for being so awesome! Newgrounds just keeps gettting better and better :)

Stamper is saving the pretty for the redesign, so you get the "classic Tom" for now.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-28 17:02:44

OH YES OLDIE STYLE IS BACK!!!!!!! cheers Psycogoldfish and Tom and the rest of you guys!!!

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-28 17:15:21

One thing I find kind of annoying with the new layout is the lack of ability to control the movie.

With the old layout I could easily close the window and the movie would stop. Now there is no way for me to stop a movie (that doesnt have a pause button) without having to click a link or close the tab I'm using.

Not a huge gripe but it does change how I have to view movies though... like I probably wouldn't click on questionable quality movies to vote on unless they have a certain grade.

If you're not reading Twisted Comix what is your life about?

I'm published on NG! Buy "One Shot"!

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-28 17:15:53

Just a few requests for the widescreen mode.

I was wondering if you could bring back the "add to favorites" button. Also, some of the more Hi-Def flashes get too big for the screen when they're enlarged. I was hoping that you could add some sort of size-limiter on the enlarger. Just a thought.

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-28 17:17:02

awesome design, awesome features, I'm really speechless...
the only thing bad with it is when I open a couple of movies, my browser starts lagging... if you could perhaps make the player a little lighter...
good luck

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-28 17:25:11

I love the new wide layout, my computer would always freeze when I accidentally scroll while playing flash, but this is great! I would like the badges to be visible while playing the flash, like on the side. The banner gets kind of messed up to, it needs to be expanded. Love the new preferances too!

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-28 17:31:21

The top glow along the sides of the header disappear too.

If you're not reading Twisted Comix what is your life about?

I'm published on NG! Buy "One Shot"!

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-28 17:45:30

Update #2? You can now hide games.

sig'd

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-28 17:48:43

That "Hide movie" was quick....Thanks guys
Awaiting the redesign =D

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-28 20:03:35

At 5/27/09 08:49 PM, liljim wrote:
At 5/27/09 08:40 PM, Wonchop wrote:
At 5/27/09 08:39 PM, ThoArtNoobish wrote: Omfg look @ my screen i cant change it
can u tell me wtf happend it
The options disappear when Classic is selected cos they don't apply to Classic. Simples.
Haha, you're quoting that compare the market ad? "Sergei already have nervous meltdown (he already have worms)."

Anyone else not knowing what the hell I'm on about: http://www.comparethemeerkat.com/my-movi es

Though I can't promise that the URL will retain the same movie I'm talking about.

Oh, Jim. Not even sound same.

Like the new wide layout... noticed one thing though - the 'Dim' option above and to the right of the play pane, when activated, disables the play button,

Part of Newgrounds furniture since 2000.Clicky, clicky.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-28 21:20:04

I can die happy now.

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-28 23:09:21

At 5/28/09 09:14 AM, TomFulp wrote: We aren't changing the layout for widescreen monitors. NG's current layout was made for 800x600, when just about every website nowadays is made for 1024. Our layout is getting smaller and smaller on most computers, not just people who have widescreen monitors. We would have gone wide with the last redesign but that redesign started in 2005 and there were still enough 800x600 users that we didn't want to alienate. Nowadays, the whole web is geared at 1024 and we're behind the times.

Tom, thanks for the personalized response. I currently use the web "standard" of 1024 and I agree that making the change would be for the best.

Wi/Ht Member #50 | Top 500 XP | Top 80 B/P! | Top 45 Protector | Top 125 VP

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-29 06:25:34

At 5/28/09 03:49 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
At 5/28/09 03:13 PM, DumbassDude wrote:
At 5/28/09 03:01 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Then buy a larger monitor and crank up your resolution!
Not everyone can afford a new monitor or is willing to buy one just so a websites appearance looks slimmer.
Any monitor that is less than 10 years old should be capable of displaying NG properly. Some people may just need to up the resolution setting.

I can, I just don't want to - I don't like using any resolution bigger than 800x600 unless absolutely forced to. Most websites still look fine at that resolution. Youtube videos fill up most of the screen, and Newgrounds animations look a lot bigger too, without the need to stretch them bigger than what they were meant to be seen at.

For example, my own Flash submission "One Quiet Winter Night" uses exclusively bitmap images, so it looks bad when stretched out - it is only meant to be seen at the correct resolution. It actually would be nice if there were a way to PREVENT users from seeing it in any resolution other than the proper one, because I don't really want it to look all pixelated...

The new "wider" Newgrounds isn't too horrible, because there are two basic halves to the screen. The really annoying thing is when forums are set to a wider resolution and force me to scroll sideways to read every single post. The NG forums currently aren't "forced widescreen", but I guess this will change also, unfortunately...

Again, I think that the percentage of people accessing websites from smaller internet-capable devices is going to keep increasing, which will likely mean websites shrinking their resolution once again to meet demand... so I do think that this widescreen thing is only a temporary trend, and the pendulum is already swinging the other way again (much like how the pendulum has swung from high-resolution audio to easy-to-store mp3s).

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-29 06:44:50

By the way, one tip that I WAS hoping Newgrounds would take from Youtube is their subscriptions system.

It's nice that you added RSS feeds a while ago, but the truth is that it's still very inconvenient for someone who wants to follow several dozen artists. I don't want to have dozens of separate RSS feeds clogging up my client - I'd like all of my Newgrounds RSS subscriptions to be in one place. To try and fix the problem, I combined several dozen Newgrounds RSS feeds into one with RSSmix.com, but this was a time-consuming process and I am unable to edit the resulting feed (either to add new artists or to remove artists).

Another thing I was hoping for is making audio portal voting count as NG experience points (I think this could substantially boost participation there, which is currently pathetic - each new crappy Flash submission receives at least 200 votes and at least 10 reviews, whereas new audio submissions are lucky to receive one review and a few votes). That, and having a "judgment period" for audio submissions would be nice.

So... I guess I'm of the mind that functional change is a lot more important than cosmetic change. And you've added a lot of nice functional changes over the past few months (i.e. revenue), but there are some problems that have been around for a long time that have not been fixed...

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-29 15:53:56

I've always liked the Classic mode better.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-29 17:24:38

Thank you so much, Tom! I don't mind the new changes, but I like the old veiw much better!

My Signature pic is lamer than yours!

"...time travel and Hitlers are always a bad combination." -William Bazillion

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-29 23:06:23

i really appreciate the viewing preferances. thank you for that. i would also like to thank you for reading our feedback. i really like the idea of wide layout. im interested to see how you pull it off.

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-30 07:46:43

At 5/27/09 07:16 PM, TomFulp wrote: PsychoGoldfish just launched the first update to the wide view page.

You can now access this handy dandy form to set your view page preferences!

You can select CLASSIC mode and it will look just like it always did, only wider.

The second option is IN-PAGE mode, which includes three settings. You can disable the PLAY button on under judgment Flash and adult content if you like, but can also enable a PLAY button on all the remaining Flash if you don't like the current auto-play feature.

A series of additional changes are on the way. We do read your feedback, especially the well thought-out, well-written, non-inflammatory kind.

For those of you who simply don't like the aesthetic of the skinny header on top of a wide body, consider this a temporary step as we move towards a new wide site layout.

For those of you who don't like the results of the related content, this is not the final algorithm so hold-tight. We will also be re-examining the placement of this in the final redesign.

There will be growing pains, but we believe this is ultimately in the best interest of NG and everyone here.

Well Tom, at first I didnt quite like it, but I think this could be a good idea. Now, when I am playing my game, I can scroll down without accidentally crashing IE9. Hey, is it retroactive? I wanna make sure my Zik videos are set up this way. They're not much, but there is some good material on it. Oh, here is a pic of an Emo Phineas, from Phineas and Ferb. Drew it myself. That's obvious tho, cuz who else would be so evil as to make such a loveable and positive character. BTW, yes he is stoned.

Wide Layout Update 1

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-30 07:49:08

Well, incase u didnt read, it keeps it at correct resolution, and besides, even when I had it come up as a pop up (which was what NG usually was) it still wasnt all to great.

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-30 13:03:18

I really like this new idea.

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-30 15:13:12

Looking forward to the header fix. Great with the options,as I've grown a bit accustomed to the classic look, though it really isn't the real classic look. If you could bring in options on how to handle the links on a classic page that would be great too, a choice to use popup or hover for the click of the link, and the other option as secondary.

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-31 03:18:10

Very nice, I didn't like the auto-play thing, it was ugly.

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-31 03:20:08

At 5/29/09 06:25 AM, Esn wrote: I can, I just don't want to - I don't like using any resolution bigger than 800x600 unless absolutely forced to. Most websites still look fine at that resolution. Youtube videos fill up most of the screen, and Newgrounds animations look a lot bigger too, without the need to stretch them bigger than what they were meant to be seen at.

That's why Adobe and Macromedia worked their asses off to bring vectors into flash as a workable medium.

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-06-03 02:47:02

Cool feature, Tom. Slowly, Newgrounds gets better and better ;) Keep up the good work!

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-06-03 15:35:27

Auto loading issss not to niiiiiiiiiice...

Rewards1, the best freebies site there is. Get Xbox 360s PS3 Wiis and more!

Just sign up here!

http://tinyurl.com/39h3sxo

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-06-05 12:04:27

Hi there!I don't know you.But your GOOD as NEW!

Wide Layout Update 1