Respond to this Topic
Fluffington
Fluffington
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 05:58 AM Reply

Alright, thank you, Tom for listening to the users.

You know what would be really neat? These things actually being noticeable.

BBS Signature
SpikeVallentine
SpikeVallentine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 06:00 AM Reply

At 5/28/09 03:34 AM, Gloudas wrote: After all, the NG staff is smart, and they would not throw a new layout at us if there had not been immense amounts of thought and consideration put into it. I hope that people have to balls to give this layout a shot for a week or so before they pass judgment, because otherwise they'll miss out on its potential."

WONDERFULY SAID. THATS A GOOOOOD POINT OF VIEW> y es yes ye syes yes . i agree. great job.

I hope your day will be as bright as the sun!

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 06:10 AM Reply

how come some of the regulars, quite a lot of them even, so fucking conservative?

open question. i expect no satisfying answer. unless you all who feel targeted teamed up, made a song and did it choir-style - where you all would explain to the tunes rythm that you're all douchebags. also, you'd have a congo-drum that went "LOL-LOL-LOL" when you banged it.

Man, I want one of those. :(

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

Yiffy
Yiffy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 06:17 AM Reply

Good to be back at classic... Now only if the flash in classic could "expand", that would be great.

So zetta slow!

BBS Signature
MCSMstudios
MCSMstudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 06:25 AM Reply

I don't get why anyone is complaining about a few more ads. I honestly didn't even notice them until someone pointed it out. Have these people not been on the internet long enough to remember when every site spammed popups at you? Compared to that this is heavenly.

BillysProgrammer
BillysProgrammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 06:26 AM Reply

At 5/27/09 07:24 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 5/27/09 07:20 PM, 14hourlunchbreak wrote: Oh, thank god. Classic mode it is then. The new layout is cool and all, but it was totally killing my computer. I did like to see all the different ads for the NG T-Shirts though.
Well you'll be happy to see they're still there. :)

Classic mode looks like old mode, but wide... Because wide is the way things will be going.

I still think Newgrounds should stick to the way it is now. Wide is cool and all, but the way it was before just felt.. better. But I guess its the new time for NG to have another major over-ride, so Ill just have to get used to it :D.

DeanPOWER
DeanPOWER
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 06:27 AM Reply

Way to get shit done Newgrounds :) I quite like the new wide layout myself and the T-shirt ads seem to fit in really nicely without them being too "in your face", if that makes any sense.

Anyway, it's awesome how you got straight onto "Classic View". Put all the moaners/complainers/nostalgia freaks at ease ;)

mysticmonkey2
mysticmonkey2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 06:43 AM Reply

I'm happy again.

Bezman
Bezman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 06:49 AM Reply

At 5/27/09 07:34 PM, TomFulp wrote: And our Flash was in-page from 1999-2000. We changed it to accommodate people with low resolutions... Who somehow still exist almost a decade later.

That's a fun link BTW, you can read about how much people hated the change.

The links to pages 2/3 don't work.

OMG - YOUR SITE IS IMPERFECT!

andy70707
andy70707
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 07:14 AM Reply

wow, ive already got so used to teh new layout the old one looks odd. Although It was nice dissabling thoose annoying play buttons. (am I the only one who like auto-play content)

My websites: MayesMods | FireStorm | I'm also on almost every other website in existence, mostly under the username: andy70707 (youtube: brainiac777, eBay: 10andy70707).

BBS Signature
Soapbubble
Soapbubble
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Audiophile
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 08:31 AM Reply

At 5/27/09 07:28 PM, Wurmy wrote: My problem with the wide layout is really just how things are 'organized'. From the way things are organized, the author, the flashes' score, authors comments, etc.. are neglected in a sense (as in not as important as they used to be). Its like the Flash and the related Flashes (whatever they are) are far more superior to the artist, the reviews and everything else.

I guess in that sense, this is why I liked the 'classic' view better. Before you ever opened the Flash you got a taste of the Flash through the authors comments that were right there, the reviews, and the author him/herself. The Flash was a little more personal that way, like it really belonged to the authors. I know when I first opened up the page for a Flash the first thing I would look at was who made it, what they had to say, and the score.

Now all I see is the Flash itself. Now this in itself is not a problem, and its probably better this way. I just wish it was a little more personalized. Maybe have a little caption above the Flash or something with the authors icon and the authors name.

Still, I'd say its a step in the right direction.

On an unrelated note, heres a couple of bugs. I'm using Firefox 3, along with adblock, and noscript if it matters (Which it probably does).

I actually kinda agree, I don't like how the "related flashes", that really doesn't have much to do with the artist, or the flash, is prioritized above everything else. I never even click on a "related flash", so I'd rather just see 'em go.

Other than that, I love the new layout.

AFK

RubberNinja
RubberNinja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 08:39 AM Reply

This is an outrage. Why isn't there a retro preset which gives the portal a looping unicron theme?

You know DAMN right what I'm talking about.

FattyWhale
FattyWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Melancholy
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 08:42 AM Reply

In classic mode the title of the movie appears nowhere on the page.

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
:3

BBS Signature
cast
cast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 08:54 AM Reply

At 5/28/09 06:10 AM, Rucklo wrote: how come some of the regulars, quite a lot of them even, so fucking conservative?

Ewwww.

Conservatives are usually boring, unless their cause is just.

I think we should embrace the changes going on here. Everyone straight up bashing the change should realize that the NG team is at least 5 steps ahead of everyone here being negative and they have actually planed this out very well.

Though, I must say nothing is really changing here.. NG is just growing a little more. NG started out as a personal showcase.. Then the change came when Tom decided to make it a showcase for everyone's work.

c̴a̶s̴t̷

BBS Signature
lostos
lostos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 09:02 AM Reply

Great work guys! I'm glad my opinion (and others' as well) has been heard. I'm looking forward to the end result.

Wha

DumbassDude
DumbassDude
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Voice Actor
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 09:08 AM Reply

At 5/28/09 08:42 AM, milinko959 wrote: In classic mode the title of the movie appears nowhere on the page.

Indeed, the author and file information header should be replaced with the actual title of the movie.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 09:14 AM Reply

At 5/27/09 09:42 PM, zimzap wrote: I fall into the camp of not a fan of the skinny header with wide body but I understand that it is temporary. I must ask why do you believe the change to widescreen is so necessary right now? I realize that it would be a nice change but I do not believe that wide screen monitors and submissions are the norm right now.

We aren't changing the layout for widescreen monitors. NG's current layout was made for 800x600, when just about every website nowadays is made for 1024. Our layout is getting smaller and smaller on most computers, not just people who have widescreen monitors. We would have gone wide with the last redesign but that redesign started in 2005 and there were still enough 800x600 users that we didn't want to alienate. Nowadays, the whole web is geared at 1024 and we're behind the times.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
xboxbob11
xboxbob11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Musician
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 09:19 AM Reply

The new flash-viewing layout is not that bad, considering all the preferences. Still, I prefer to watch flashes in the original format.

The deeper you delve, the more strategizing is involved.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 09:19 AM Reply

At 5/27/09 10:45 PM, SlashFirestorm wrote: So I assume the new layout will be done piece-by-piece, instead of the massive rush deal with the 2007 one? And would I be right in assuming that the lit and art portals will be part of this redesign?

The 2007 redesign took two years so we're trying to avoid that this time. We wanted to get the wide view page out ahead of the redesign so that we could work out the issues and prepare everyone for it, otherwise the "real" redesign launch would have been met with the sort of response we got this week.

The Art Portal will DEFINITELY be included in the redesign, as it is launching well before it. The Lit Portal is more in question at the moment, although it is definitely coming. We're only so many people. :(

The Art and Lit Portal were both intended to be part of the 2007 redesign when we started it in 2005, which is why most of the codebase for NG was overhauled to better accommodate more portals... As fate would have it, a lot of stuff is being built from scratch again anyway for further improvements and future flexibility.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
51lver
51lver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 09:49 AM Reply

A wide screen button in the pop up window would be awesome.

As a lot of people like the new widescreen option, however they also prefer to view their movies/games in a pop up window, so make the best of both and combine them?

i just think this would be pretty awesome

51lver

MARIOMASTER123123123
MARIOMASTER123123123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 09:50 AM Reply

Well, i'm still a fan of the auto-loading though.

Snake-Arsenic
Snake-Arsenic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Movie Buff
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 09:55 AM Reply

Damn it Tom, now I have nothing to complain about.

Celestian
Celestian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 10:12 AM Reply

I was just wondering is the whole site being transfered to a wide layout? not just the flash pages? it would give users less scrolling to do and condense the site as a whole.

eg. have the featured games beside the featured movies section so people can choose from the second the open the page. also i feel that when you are in the new layout the icons in the header in my opinion should also spread out to make the whole thing seem even.

i know some things have been moved around but i would still prefer to have at least the designeres credits beside the new window so they get some instant recognition for their work instead of people having to scroll to find out details about the game/movie. (there is still room to work with)

Ps what are the dimensions when a flash is in widescreen mode for any programmers who would like to design their contributions around the new layout?

"Gumperson's Law: The likelihood of something happening is in inverse proportion to the desirability of it happening."

This is why nobody should ever, EVER, do drugs

PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 10:19 AM Reply

At 5/28/09 05:01 AM, loerandloer wrote: I dont get why your trying to throw more ads in. Most people here have adblock >_> And "Evolve and adapt" is a terrible excuse for throwing more ads in a pulling in more tweens.

Well skippy, these new fangled website majiggers apparently cost money to operate. For some reason the bandwidth providers, server farms and electrical companies all refuse to evolve so we can run the sute with no overhead.

And then there is the staff. Those greedy fuckers actually expect to get paid for their jobs, can you believe that shit?

Until all those unreasonable expenses fall in line and become free, we just have to keep adding more ads so the stupid idiots on this site who don't block all the ads can make up the revenue that gets lost by reasonable, supportive users like you.

I guess we could stop sharing all that revenue with the artists that submit here. Then we would need less ads... and maybe people would quit submitting here and we would have less bandwidth to pay for... yes I think this plan will work! Then you could enjoy the old stale content and NG would never have to evolve and adapt!

Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
Sinitech
Sinitech
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 10:34 AM Reply

At 5/28/09 05:01 AM, loerandloer wrote: I dont get why your trying to throw more ads in. Most people here have adblock >_> And "Evolve and adapt" is a terrible excuse for throwing more ads in a pulling in more tweens.

You're probably part of the reason they need more ads, genius.

"..." - ...

BBS Signature
Gateau
Gateau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Programmer
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 10:36 AM Reply

At 5/28/09 10:19 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: For some reason the bandwidth providers, server farms and electrical companies all refuse to evolve so we can run the sute with no overhead.

Like I said... You guys should just have a script block people from the site if they are using adblock. I mean, you should 'adapt' (like that kid said) to all of the selfish dipshits out there.

Emote mod. Contact me for emote moderation.

BBS Signature
MarcyVF
MarcyVF
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 10:45 AM Reply

To be honest, I liked it a lot better when it was narrow. I don't like how everything's really big and wide, I liked it narrow and stylish. I would like to have the option to have it wide or narrow, because I just think it looks queer and plain weird! Sorry :/

BBS Signature
diuqscirtic
diuqscirtic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 11:09 AM Reply

At 5/28/09 10:19 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: I guess we could stop sharing all that revenue with the artists that submit here. Then we would need less ads... and maybe people would quit submitting here and we would have less bandwidth to pay for... yes I think this plan will work! Then you could enjoy the old stale content and NG would never have to evolve and adapt!

Great idea, I expect implementation by this evening, fuck good quality fresh content!

BBS Signature
Wayero
Wayero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 11:14 AM Reply

At 5/28/09 10:19 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote:
Well skippy, these new fangled website majiggers apparently cost money to operate. For some reason the bandwidth providers, server farms and electrical companies all refuse to evolve so we can run the sute with no overhead.

And then there is the staff. Those greedy fuckers actually expect to get paid for their jobs, can you believe that shit?

Until all those unreasonable expenses fall in line and become free, we just have to keep adding more ads so the stupid idiots on this site who don't block all the ads can make up the revenue that gets lost by reasonable, supportive users like you.

I guess we could stop sharing all that revenue with the artists that submit here. Then we would need less ads... and maybe people would quit submitting here and we would have less bandwidth to pay for... yes I think this plan will work! Then you could enjoy the old stale content and NG would never have to evolve and adapt!

Well said. Everything on Newgrouds is free (except the stuff you have to pay for) so I have no reason to complain if there are more or less ads. I support advertising on many levels. If Network TV suddenly became pay to watch people would riot, but then when the stations claim TiVo took away ad revenue they won't want to give concessions and just watch the ads.

It's kind of ironic though. Keeping the classic view sort of nulls any reason the site needs to change the layout. Unless the Newgrounds web team comes up with a way to integrate the two. Personally I think the classic view is the best the site will ever be in terms of layout, so thanks for keeping it.

Dubby14
Dubby14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 May. 28th, 2009 @ 11:38 AM Reply

Wow, Psychogoldfish, was that really fucking necessary?

BBS Signature