Respond to this Topic
cumSum
cumSum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:33:12 Reply

It's already better but I really wish there wasn't that option that screws up games with scaleMode set to NO_SCALE.

See pic

Wide Layout Update 1

blackblade9
blackblade9
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:34:06 Reply

yo tom please change it back to orginal format i hate this new wide one

jinxworld70
jinxworld70
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:36:36 Reply

At 5/27/09 09:25 PM, sucho wrote: the extended site header looks nifty on the flash pages, what on earth could that boiler be connected
to?

Your mother.

booyah.
ThoArtNoobish
ThoArtNoobish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:36:53 Reply

omfg tha thread is like the most popular thread it get like a massage every min its been two hours and 162 posts

Wide Layout Update 1

Thousands of years ago there were no numbers to represent two or three. Instead fingers, rocks, sticks or eyes were used to represent numbers.

BBS Signature
cast
cast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:37:41 Reply

At 5/27/09 09:34 PM, blackblade9 wrote: yo tom please change it back to orginal format i hate this new wide one

Just think of all the amazing things we can achieve with this new wide format... LIFE SIZE COCKS ON PAGE!!!! OMG OMG

c̴a̶s̴t̷

BBS Signature
STEM
STEM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:38:58 Reply

Yea I agree, llamas are pretty gay

in other news, I'm loving the classic view again. will take some getting used to the wide layout.

[ Forum Mod // Send PM ]

BBS Signature
cast
cast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:39:54 Reply

At 5/27/09 09:37 PM, cast wrote:
Just think of all the amazing things we can achieve with this new wide format... LIFE SIZE COCKS ON PAGE!!!! OMG OMG

Someone beat me to it..

: Play with the fullscreen feature, it made me lol

c̴a̶s̴t̷

BBS Signature
Sonucais
Sonucais
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Programmer
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:40:13 Reply

Thanks, that's just what most of us needed :)

zimzap
zimzap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:42:21 Reply

At 5/27/09 07:16 PM, TomFulp wrote: For those of you who simply don't like the aesthetic of the skinny header on top of a wide body, consider this a temporary step as we move towards a new wide site layout.

Thank you very much for the option. I hope that I was one of the constructive criticizers rather than another poster coming off as a complainer.

I fall into the camp of not a fan of the skinny header with wide body but I understand that it is temporary. I must ask why do you believe the change to widescreen is so necessary right now? I realize that it would be a nice change but I do not believe that wide screen monitors and submissions are the norm right now.

Wi/Ht Member #50 | Top 500 XP | Top 80 B/P! | Top 45 Protector | Top 125 VP

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:50:27 Reply

Ah, thanks guys!

I really do like the new layout, but like I said in the other thread with dial up it really slowed my computer down to the point where I was having trouble depositing. Now that I can set it back and forth I can use the classic view here at home and when I go back to college with their wireless I will be able to set it back to the new wide layout! Good work. :)

BBS Signature
babyma
babyma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:51:03 Reply

Personally, I think there still needs to AT LEAST be an option for users to switch to the narrow version of the site, with the pop-up, etc. This isn't stemming from nostalgia, but practicality and professionalism.

Here are two alternative suggestions for how to go about implementing the old, classic version while keeping the new:

1) Have the narrow version as the default view. Why a narrow version? It is more professional, looks better for a lot of people (some would say more sophisticated), and works better for those with smaller screen resolutions (not that I have a small screen resolution). You could be losing a lot of potential visitors who are initially turned off by the unsophisticated look or something that won't fit on their screen. Most people visiting the site are browsers and won't care for a huge screen anyway. They're just here to view the content, not to be awed by wide-screen prowess (not that they would necessarily be awed anyway). In fact, many may prefer pop-ups because it is more practical with regards to site navigation.

2) If you keep the wide version as the default view, then I think the narrow version I speak of should rightfully be called the "Classic Version", and the new, wide version should be named something else (e.g. "Wide Version"). The option for pop-ups should be dealt with as an option via a checkbox (e.g. "Display Flash in Pop-up or on page?") on the new option page you made.

I wouldn't even suggest alternative #2 above if the wide layout isn't going to go global to begin with. If the wide version is only staying on the flash section or a select few sections, the site would seem even more unprofessional (and furthermore, inconsistent) than having the wide layout as a default but global view.

I have done a lot of designing in the past and it shouldn't be too hard to make the narrow version compatible with the wide version. Assuming that every table within the main borders is fluid, then all you need to do is fix the width of the main table being held by the main borders and the fluid tables should sort themselves out.

NhollowWearthO
NhollowWearthO
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:51:31 Reply

So i assume that all the error's in the gifs. are going to be fixed and along with the header with the flash portal ,audio portal and cough new art portal. So i assume good things to come. But this site is so anal fucked at the moment i cannot watch any flashes let alone see any thing as far as graphics. I can olny hope it will be up and ready...with the art portal

jamalrocks2012
jamalrocks2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:57:34 Reply

At 5/27/09 07:20 PM, PorkytheHedgehog wrote: I love the new page layout, it doesn't close my browser. :P

I agree. My browser would always crash when i forgot i couldn't scroll down, but now i can and not suffer the consecquences! ^_^

Carpe Jugulum

BBS Signature
halfangelfreak
halfangelfreak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:58:24 Reply

1) Have the narrow version as the default view. Why a narrow version? It is more professional, looks better for a lot of people (some would say more sophisticated), and works better for those with smaller screen resolutions (not that I have a small screen resolution). You could be losing a lot of potential visitors who are initially turned off by the unsophisticated look or something that won't fit on their screen. Most people visiting the site are browsers and won't care for a huge screen anyway.

Ugh, dude, I've just 'bout the smallest screen resolution you can get right now, not widescreen btw, and it looks just fine on it.

Yes.

cast
cast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:58:52 Reply

At 5/27/09 09:51 PM, NhollowWearthO wrote: So i assume that all the error's in the gifs. are going to be fixed and along with the header with the flash portal ,audio portal and cough new art portal. So i assume good things to come. But this site is so anal fucked at the moment i cannot watch any flashes let alone see any thing as far as graphics. I can olny hope it will be up and ready...with the art portal

Can you please explain what you're talking about more in depth? What browser are you using?

Are you saying you don't like how only flash submissions currently have the wide layout? This isn't going to be the case soon enough, everything is getting a face lift.

c̴a̶s̴t̷

BBS Signature
babyma
babyma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 22:01:21 Reply

At 5/27/09 09:58 PM, halfangelfreak wrote:
1) Have the narrow version as the default view. Why a narrow version? It is more professional, looks better for a lot of people (some would say more sophisticated), and works better for those with smaller screen resolutions (not that I have a small screen resolution). You could be losing a lot of potential visitors who are initially turned off by the unsophisticated look or something that won't fit on their screen. Most people visiting the site are browsers and won't care for a huge screen anyway.
Ugh, dude, I've just 'bout the smallest screen resolution you can get right now, not widescreen btw, and it looks just fine on it.

What's the resolution?

Still, a fixed site width is generally regarded as more professional and practical than fluid, regardless of whether the fluid version looks "fine" on a small resolution.

Luxury-Yacht
Luxury-Yacht
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Movie Buff
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 22:03:05 Reply

Oh wow, that was a fast reaction. This pretty much makes any of my previous complaints virtually null. Thanks for making it customizable, and in such a short time.

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i oh no I am choking on a million dicks

BBS Signature
Strength
Strength
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 22:04:52 Reply

Haha I'm liking the Wide Layout much better than Classic. Great job, Tom!

ok

BBS Signature
Pokemonpoeguygcn
Pokemonpoeguygcn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Melancholy
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 22:06:24 Reply

Yay!!

doondeka
doondeka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 22:07:26 Reply

this is awesome exept when u look at a flash u dont know why it s rated A or teen for anyreason

NhollowWearthO
NhollowWearthO
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 22:07:31 Reply

Can you please explain what you're talking about more in depth? What browser are you using?

Are you saying you don't like how only flash submissions currently have the wide layout? This isn't going to be the case soon enough, everything is getting a face lift.

i am saying that all i see is tables and text. And advertisments. I assume it is part of the process, but at this moment all gif. images are red x's .they bring up error.

i never said anyting about the flashes so.....

also i am looking foward to the art portal,for the main header on the home page shows only black. NO "flash portal" or any other button is shown. so i have hopes that when it appears it will include "ART PORTAL" pretty simple

Eternal-Bloodblade
Eternal-Bloodblade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 22:08:11 Reply

Good move, making an option is the best thing you could do! Still a great layout, just the auto-loading was the problem I had.

BBS Signature
aquaticmole
aquaticmole
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 22:33:25 Reply

Awesome, great updates, love how you really do care about the way the community feels, nice improvements.

aquaticmole.

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 22:35:28 Reply

NIce updates, the site looks great and widescreen is sweet.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
HolyJesus666
HolyJesus666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 22:45:44 Reply

I love the layout, but its a shame you can't vote or anything while its like that. plus the auto-play feature cuts out the need move your mouse at all after selecting a flash animation, good stuff though tom, none the less.

SlashFirestorm
SlashFirestorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Animator
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 22:45:54 Reply

The autoplay was the only concern I had, and letting registered members have the option to disable it takes care of that. I have gone from being neutral regarding the new layout to pleased with it. Looking forward to seeing the changes for the rest of the site.

So I assume the new layout will be done piece-by-piece, instead of the massive rush deal with the 2007 one? And would I be right in assuming that the lit and art portals will be part of this redesign?

Slash's call was absorbed by the darkness.

BBS Signature
ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 22:48:58 Reply

I think auto playing for unregistered members is a good idea because it will help with stuff getting Digged or casually linked.

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
Spite
Spite
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 22:50:23 Reply

Here's my only grievance

Wide Layout Update 1

BBS Signature
Elroy
Elroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 22:53:04 Reply

Thanks for giving us the option to switch back tom! In the meantime, I'l try to adjust to wide layout.

BBS Signature
RupeeClock
RupeeClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Animator
Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 22:56:43 Reply

Tom, next time you do something drastic like this, do the sensible thing and make it a beta testing option.

Youtube and deviantart do this and it works very well.