00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ada242 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cartoon Club

81,686 Views | 861 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-01 17:16:18

At 7/1/11 05:12 PM, RubberTrucky wrote:
Also, freelance police officers+ edgy comedy reminds me of Duckman. God, I miss Duckman.

Anyone remember Duckman by the way?

Man, I'm gonna reserve a moment for all the possible cartoons I can watch. Gonna watch some Batman and Sam& Max then... (as far as they are available online)

RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!

Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.

Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-02 04:52:22

At 6/29/11 05:29 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: CN is really lax when it comes to letting stuff slide by the radar, unlike Nick or Disney.

I wouldn't necessarily lump Nick together with Disney's awfulness. Maybe I just don't see what it's really like because I don't casually watch those networks anymore, but it seems to me like Nick can still be pretty lenient when it comes to their pet projects (i.e. the ones that make them all their money). I mean, for the past month or so I've been Netflixing a recent Nick show that features genocide, war, terrorism, maiming, torture, thinly veiled references to sex, and one character memorably spending an entire episode high on mescaline. So they deserve a little credit, I think.

Though obviously all three networks have gotten much stricter over the past ten years or so, to their creative detriment. I'm just saying that Nick doesn't really require everything to turn to fluff the way Disney does. Yet. They have been trying especially hard to copy Disney's model lately, which makes me uneasy. Maybe if they manage to resist the urge to put their grubby little executive mitts all over Legend of Korra I'll have a little more faith in them, but for now, I dunno...

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-03 20:27:21

Best game based on this cartoon? I'd think so, but I haven't played that many games based on the franchise. What do you guys think of it?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-06 01:39:56

Hey just dropping in to say im happy with all of the activity here! One thing, slow down with the pictures. This is what got the original thread locked. I don't mind a few, but not with almost every post.

Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-07 07:55:33

At 7/6/11 01:54 AM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote:
At 7/6/11 01:39 AM, idiot-buster wrote: Hey just dropping in to say im happy with all of the activity here!
Really, it's only me. RubberTrucky drops by occasionally to post MLP fanart, but I'm the only one that actually watches new cartoons that AREN'T memes.

I would wish to do so too, but haven't really found the time for it. I did mention other cartoons, though, like Duckman, which I want to be able to watch again..

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-08 17:23:00

I wish we could get new episodes of older shows like Invader ZIM and Rocko's Modern Life. I mostly care about older Nicktoons, But I still miss those Cartoon Cartoon show like Johnny Bravo and Cow and Chicken though.

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-08 17:35:31

At 7/3/11 08:41 PM, daethdrain wrote:
At 7/3/11 08:27 PM, ZJ wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/57 3755
Best game based on this cartoon? I'd think so, but I haven't played that many games based on the franchise. What do you guys think of it?

This game is the best looking one so far, I really can't wait until its complete For a fan game it really does look like its going to be good.

since this is secretly the mlp club. Ha
Anyway I didn't notice it finnaly the show is gaining flash popularity. I already know of another one on newgrounds called cupcakes with pinkie and applejack.

Anyway if the show is succesful for the following season do you guys think they will make a official video game? And honestly would you get it? I mean most games based off of movies or shows are never worth while. But some of you I know would jump at the chance to get a game like that.

There likely will be a video game, however thats when the big question comes for Hasbro to consider, what type of game to make and for what audience. Whether to keep with younger knowing that the older audience that watch it will also end up buying it, or going after older if it will make more sales. Personally I hope they keep to younger to keep the full feel of the game, it will be enjoyable no matter what it is.

Yes I don't post here at all really but I do love cartoons a lot especially MLP, invader zim, earthwrorm jim, fairly odd parents, futurama, sonic the hedgehog, rugrats etc etc. Personally I still love the hell out of cartoons. However doubt I'll stick to be a permanent member don't usually have much to talk about them :(

Oh and Earthworm Jim dvds, brilliant hope I can get some of those later, the short size ones on youtube arent as entertaining to watch. Of course my most awaited dvd is obviously MLP FIM, alas that wil ltake ages sadly :(

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-10 16:22:05

At 7/8/11 11:23 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: I hated Fairly Odd Parents as a kid. Maybe I need to take a second look, because I always thought all the jokes were unfunny and episodes never ended properly and overstayed their welcome.

I liked it well enough when I was a kid, but I was never a big fan or anything. I think the humor was kind of strange for a kids' show at the time, with all the sarcasm and pop culture references and whatnot (of course, that's what almost all cartoons are like nowadays). Plus now I hold it partially accountable for the death of my beloved Invader Zim, so it's got that against it too. But still, I think some of the older episodes would hold up well to throwback viewing.

Also, for a little primary audience perspective: I work with eight and nine-year-olds, and when I asked some of them about their favorite cartoons, Fairly OddParents was one of the first shows they mentioned. Which struck me as really weird considering how old it is. But like I was saying before, maybe that style of cartoon is just more popular now.

I want to ask everybody here an important question: Completely ignoring that MLP:FIM is a meme, how many of you honestly think it's a great series? Nicely written, nicely animated, lots of charm?

Honestly, I just fail to understand how people can genuinely be fans of this show. And it's not because of the whole "it's supposed to be for little girls" thing, because we all know that's a stupid argument. For me, I just can't get over the fact that no matter how well-written, nicely animated, or charming the show is, at the end of the day it still exists as an ancillary marketing product of a toy company, created in a boardroom by a bunch of old guys in suits to help sell shit.

Maybe that's what passed for greatness in the '80s, but now we have two decades of creator-driven, artistically ambitious TV animation behind us, and my expectations are higher. From what I can tell, MLP superficially imitates the quality of those shows, but doesn't do much more than that. But that's just me. I'm not trying to say that whatever you guys see in this show isn't really there, just that I can't see it.

Anyway, I've been watching a lot of cartoons lately so I think I'm going to try to start posting more in this thread. I just finished Avatar: The Last Airbender yesterday and I'm still kind of processing it now, but maybe later I'll post something more substantial about it. For now I'll just say that I completely ignored the show when it first came out, but I was intrigued when the A.V. Club picked it as one of the shows they'd be doing write-ups on this summer, and it's now instantly become one of my all-time favorites. I highly recommend it to all of you who haven't watched it yet or saw some early episodes but didn't like it; the first half of the first season is kind of a slog, but everything after that is pure gold.

Oh, and while I'm at it, who else is excited for new Adventure Time tomorrow?

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-10 17:07:00

If it wasnt for the meme I wouldnt have found MLP FIM or likely not found for a long time, so I do give a lot of praise to the meme for introducing me to it. However I am one of those people that genually loves MLP FIM. It really does hit every single part of my heart that makes a great show and something that I would endlessly love to watch. The only thing that MLP FIM doesnt do which would make it better would be a more serious side to it which I love, I love serious things. However getting the serious side from fan-fiction and my own imagination and then making it in my head fills this gap and doesnt taint the show at all.

I would gladly hold my head up and claim I was a fan of this show even if there was no meme base for it, of course the only problem being I likely wouldnt have found it since I dont have a TV and only get to view on youtube etc.

the show...its just up there it does everything that makes me happy, think about it and draw about it etc, and want to watch more. That is what makes a perfect show. It does that. So I really dont see why people complain. People can complain about the meme all they want, but the show should be left out of it. There is nothing bad about the show.

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-11 17:39:43

We pony now?

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-11 19:44:29

At 7/11/11 05:39 PM, Racoonmario wrote: We pony now?

Well I know some of us are, I bet if anyone argues its a pony club those that wouldnt would rant for pages though and personally cba with that myself so lets keep it our secret pleasure.

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-11 21:35:07

May I join this club?

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-12 04:54:51

At 7/11/11 11:06 PM, daethdrain wrote: As for me I discovered the ponies here on newgrounds first. (it being the only site I use). And the main reason I'm attracted to the show is the sincire plot and story line, the amazing characters, and the cuteness.

Same.

I don't know how many jackasses here tricked them selves into liking the show for it's exploitable usage on the Internet.

No one can trick themselves into liking it, people can trick themselves into liking the meme but the show itself anyone that likes it likes it. All you are doing here I have to say is you having some sort of self righteous attitude that you like it so others can't. Which is very much against what bronys stand for.

The idea of it changing me as a person is silly as well. I'm not going to be nicer because I watched that show ha!

Then you didn't let yourself get lost in it as much as you could have.

Also I'm also not into buying any merchandise, well maybe a applejack or rainbowdash plushie. And a spike one too!

I would deffinently get cuddly toys of them as well as other things, I love cuddly toys myself. That's something I never grew out of.

The one thing I haven't gotten into is the music.... I really don't like it...

I love it myself, especially the remixes they are really good. Also Luna (Dream Mode) you can't not love that song.

At 7/12/11 03:24 AM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote:
At 7/10/11 05:07 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: The only thing that MLP FIM doesnt do which would make it better would be a more serious side to it which I love, I love serious things. However getting the serious side from fan-fiction and my own imagination and then making it in my head fills this gap and doesnt taint the show at all.
See, this is another thing that kinda pisses me off. Over 90% of all fanart and fanfiction puts MLP in a grimdark twisted setting. There's almost no fanart that's not alternative. I'm not saying sunshine and happiness is the way to go, but are we really so insecure with our manhood that we have to balance out the cuteness with a picture of Psycho Pinkie holding a bloody knife? (Apologies, Rubbertrucky) Most of the fan-related MLP stuff that gets all the attention is stuff like MLP: Story of the Blanks and the Watchmen trailer spoof. This fuels my suspicion that a LARGE amount of fans only like the show out of being ironic.

Have you never been on Deviant Art?
Yes the grim and dark stuff exists, but the majority is cute things, its justthat you havent gotten around to them and you only focus on the darker ones. I love the darker ones myself to but seriously just go over to Deviant Art join a few of the pony clubs and get bombarded with new cute pictures every hour.

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-12 07:31:27

At 7/12/11 03:24 AM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: See, this is another thing that kinda pisses me off. Over 90% of all fanart and fanfiction puts MLP in a grimdark twisted setting.

Hate that. It completely unfitting and seriously ruins he characters for me. I like how they're a ll cute and innocent, and this just fucks it all over.

Also, I've been thinking about getting myself an orange t-shirt with some apples printed in a corner of it.
Thoughts?

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-12 21:56:33

At 7/12/11 07:31 AM, Racoonmario wrote: Hate that. It completely unfitting and seriously ruins he characters for me. I like how they're a ll cute and innocent, and this just fucks it all over.

Not everyone can enjoy it, and they do put warnings on things like cupcakes so people who are more easily effected by such things to know now to read it. Personally I like the darker stuff as it satisfies my darker side while still keeping my normal lighter side happy. It is true it is hard to look at characters the same way after, but I still manage it as I keep them in their own seperate worlds.

Also, I've been thinking about getting myself an orange t-shirt with some apples printed in a corner of it.
Thoughts?

I would say go for it, I would personally go for a Rainbow Dash cutie mark or similar myself. There are several brony fansites that sell shirts you can check out also. link to links down the page here is a list of some online shops people have made for shirts. Hope one of those suits you.

At 7/12/11 01:59 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote:
At 7/12/11 04:54 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: Have you never been on Deviant Art?
Yes the grim and dark stuff exists, but the majority is cute things, its justthat you havent gotten around to them and you only focus on the darker ones. I love the darker ones myself to but seriously just go over to Deviant Art join a few of the pony clubs and get bombarded with new cute pictures every hour.
It's not that cute art doesn't exist, it's that the grimdark stuff is what gets all the attention.

You can't choose what people give attention to sadly. The main reason why cupcakes etc gets so much attention over cute things is as it is further from the original show. There is lots of cute things but considering the show is meant to be cute people don't make a big deal about cute art since it is seen as the right thing. Cupcakes and the like is so far from the original shows style that it gets all the attention to it.

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-14 07:48:52

So I actually went ahead and ordered a pack of t-shirt sheet thingies and a sky blue shirt.
I just hope this turns out alright.

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-14 19:26:07

At 7/14/11 07:48 AM, Racoonmario wrote: So I actually went ahead and ordered a pack of t-shirt sheet thingies and a sky blue shirt.

Let me know how it goes, if it works out well I might do it to :)

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-15 07:50:19

At 7/14/11 07:26 PM, Ragnarokia wrote:
At 7/14/11 07:48 AM, Racoonmario wrote: So I actually went ahead and ordered a pack of t-shirt sheet thingies and a sky blue shirt.
Let me know how it goes, if it works out well I might do it to :)

Sho sho. I've encountered a problem regarding Rainbow's Mark specifically though: The cloud on her mark is white. And printers don't print white, they just leave it blank, which means my shirt would end up with a sky blue cloud.
I thought about coloring the cloud a very light shade of blue, but I dunno how that would turn out, so I'll have to run a few tests first.

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-15 19:06:24

At 7/15/11 07:50 AM, Racoonmario wrote: I thought about coloring the cloud a very light shade of blue, but I dunno how that would turn out, so I'll have to run a few tests first.

Maybe try a very light shade of cream so its very close to white.

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-16 14:30:01

At 7/15/11 07:06 PM, Ragnarokia wrote:
At 7/15/11 07:50 AM, Racoonmario wrote: I thought about coloring the cloud a very light shade of blue, but I dunno how that would turn out, so I'll have to run a few tests first.
Maybe try a very light shade of cream so its very close to white.

I asked a friend of mine who has experience with this, he said the foils are actually white and you need to cut around your design, so it's all dandy.
Silly me.
Also trying to find a shirt in the right color for Applejack. That very light shade of orange is difficult to find.

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-16 18:43:09

At 7/12/11 01:59 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote:
At 7/12/11 04:54 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: Have you never been on Deviant Art?
It's not that cute art doesn't exist, it's that the grimdark stuff is what gets all the attention.

I don't agree with this. The community spends a whole lot on other non-violent stories too. A lot of art is still non-grimdark/non-shipping. (as this discussion goes, shipping is probably worse than grimdark, everybody is wanting to breed to mane cast members into something explicit)
Find MadMax comics. they're great and rarely breed on the grimdark.
On the fun side, there's already fan-art on the story of the blanks.
I wonder if the author of the game is aware of this.

; Screw you stupid image limits!
http://www.ponychan.net/chan/oat/src/131 085435834.jpg

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-16 19:03:29

I wonder if we can request again to open a brony herd, since by now it's been proven to be larger than a simple meme and it would be a shame if we keep clogging up Cartoons to talk about ponies alone. Probable we should ask Malachy first.

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-17 02:41:09

At 7/16/11 07:06 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: That's your own fault. Branch off to watching and discussing different shows like I am.

I've tried to help steer the conversation away from the goddamn ponies a couple times over the last few pages, to no response. Whatever.

At 7/16/11 07:16 PM, SCTE3 wrote: I enjoy the show and yes there are clubs for other shows but it is mostly because they branch outside of the show itself with having cards, books, side games, and other things to go with them.

...You guys are aware that the show is itself a branch of a larger franchise, right?

on a lesser subject anyone here watch Invader Zim? I sadly haven't even watched it in a few years.

The whole series is available on Netflix streaming and it's in rotation on the Nicktoons channel, so there are plenty of opportunities to check it out again. Zim might be my all-time favorite Nicktoon, and I'd say it was my all-time favorite kids' show if I wasn't so sure that it's not actually for kids.

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-17 08:21:19

Theres enough sites for us anyway to be Bronies on. If the mods are to intolerant to accept one we can do it elsewhere. Also when someone said shipping is worse than darker stuff, I dissagree I love shipping, I find all the stories incredibly nice and cute and they always make me happy reading them, its my favourite part of Deviant Art and Pony Fiction Archive :) But I agree some people might not like the stuff, but personally thats so my type of thing.

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-17 15:36:09

At 7/17/11 08:49 AM, Tokecat wrote:

You really need to accept people like things and not make big scenes about it, it only makes you look bad.

At 7/17/11 11:54 AM, SCTE3 wrote: Like most shows I don't find shipping a problem although some shows have possibly too many shippings (check out the bulbapedia page that shows all the shippings, they have some weird shipping combinations there), then you have fan art and short stories ranging from cute to "Uhhh, what did I just read? I didn't even follow any of that.." Given some times i think the fandom will die down a bit but there will always be hardcore fans for almost any show (seriously, anyone ever heard of Pikachu girl? All she collects is Pikachu stuff and drives a Pikachu car!!)

What I like about the shipping that I see all the time of MLP is they keep the characters so well, like Twilight obsessing over what a dating book says and not understanding anything else about it etc. For the Pikachu girl, I hope she can collect all the stuff she wants, I personally dont like that character but we can't really judge what characters people obsess over.

At 7/17/11 02:02 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: What people fail to understand is right now, MLP is a meme. Whether people here legitimately like the show on its own merits or not, it's a meme. Which means a Club could be filled with spam. Hell, what has the Cartoon Club had already, along with any pony thread on /co/? Copious amounts of picture spam (Fanart) and examples of MLP in the media. That's it.

I prefer to think that all the pony pictures with text on them etc class as meme but the show itself isn't one.

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-18 12:17:28

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-18 12:29:40

At 7/18/11 12:17 PM, Racoonmario wrote: Ain't that some SWAG.

Whoever banned ponies from that forum I'm going to kill you in real life, made me laugh. Not my type of music but was still fun to listen to.

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-18 15:40:49

At 7/18/11 02:57 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote:
At 7/17/11 03:36 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: I prefer to think that all the pony pictures with text on them etc class as meme but the show itself isn't one.
Let me put it this way:

Geez, we like the characters so we make fan-art and fan-fiction about them and you claim thats the meme? If thats the case EVERYTHING is a meme as there is fanart / fiction of almost if not everything out there. Why do you think people make them, because they love the show and the characters and they have their own stories going around in their heads so they get it down on paper and share it with everyone. If thats what being a meme is, then the word meme is pointless.

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-19 08:00:21

At 7/18/11 05:02 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote:
At 7/18/11 03:40 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Geez, we like the characters so we make fan-art and fan-fiction about them and you claim thats the meme? If thats the case EVERYTHING is a meme as there is fanart / fiction of almost if not everything out there. Why do you think people make them, because they love the show and the characters and they have their own stories going around in their heads so they get it down on paper and share it with everyone. If thats what being a meme is, then the word meme is pointless.
Did you even read my post? I said a thread about them shouldn't be spammed with fanart and fanfiction, which is all it would have judging from all /co/ threads and already this one. I didn't say that made it a meme. I just said that since 90% of its popularity came from 4chan, it might as well be a meme.

Yes I did read it, and frankly I answered it. Showing fan-art / fiction is in no way a bad thing, you also seem to be forgetting an IMAGE BOARD is meant to have IMAGES hint fan-art, we aren't spamming this thread with pictures of it as this isn't an IMAGE BOARD. You also seem to be oblivious to the fact many of us have said "We started of liking it due to the memes and decided to look it up, then we ended up loving the show and became bronies", OF COURSE 90% of its popularity with the older viewers came from the meme we don't generally watch all childrens shows looking for new shows every day, especially people like me who don't have a TV. We hear about this show and hear its great and we should check it out so we do. That doesn't make the show a meme, it makes the meme a meme.

BBS Signature

Response to Cartoon Club 2011-07-19 10:13:43

I see what you are getting at Blaze. I myself started watching it cause a bud told me to and I had nothing on my mind that day. I didn't care much for the show before that. Love it now though. I like those image macros and all too, but that's because I genuinely like ponies, now to be ironic or funny in some way.
Anyway, the point is that making a Brony Club or somethin would have genuine fans and bandwagoners which would be undesirable for the fans. So for now it just might be better to keep it sorta covert in here.

BBS Signature