00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryzmik just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Great idea

42,974 Views | 1,083 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 03:51:32

At 11/12/03 03:44 AM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: nice one rombie.
Anyyyyways I got the movement engine from infinity_haven@hotmail.com ... im not sure if thats Rombie or Ruthless -- someone fill me in.

nah, my e-mail is sic_of_life_0@yahoo.com
and andrewbendowski@yahoo.com
and the groupaccound nggroupproject@yahoo.com
and my old one, sk8_god_053@hotmail.com
and my AOL on, mrrombie@aol.com

yup, theres more. lol. But if you want to contact me though e-mail i check sic_of_life_0@yahoo.com daily.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 04:34:27

At 11/12/03 03:44 AM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: nice one rombie.
Anyyyyways I got the movement engine from infinity_haven@hotmail.com

e-mail me the engine please.

sic_of_life_0@yahoo.com

ill be back online tommorow at 9am-ish, its 1:30am right now.
and im not sure if i want to go to school or not.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 07:41:33

At 11/12/03 02:39 AM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: Ruthless said he had it sorted. fuckin hell where is he... you'd think he take more attention to keeping this game together than all of us...

I'm sorry guys, I got really busy again later on in the night last night. Thewaste, if you were wondering, I am infinity_haven@hotmail.com I was the one who sent you the movement engine in the first place along with the demo .fla to show you how it worked if you were in doubt. Slacker, that is a really sweet character! Hmmm...don't you think it should be resized a bit for the resolution of 600x300? But anyways, that is really sweet and we can use that! If you guys were wondering how file transfers are gonna be done, and can only send through e-mail but your file size is too high then just take individual symbols, save them in individual .fla's and state which one you're sending. Also, make sure that you name every single symbol with what it really is, NOT the default name for the symbol. When importing stuff from other .fla's I have learned from past experience that if two things have the same name (e.g. symbol 1)
it will ask you to replace or not, and either option you choose will screw your flash work up. MrRombie, you said that you wanted the movement engine as well? I can't send it to you right now because I have school, however, I'll send it to you when I return. Thewaste, are you in charge of the movement engine since you asked me for the .fla? Or am I? If you want to do it, that's fine, but if you don't I can manage it.

I'd like to apologize to all of you for not being around as much as you would want me to. I promise that I'll keep trying my best to keep you guys posted and updated. I have to go to school now, but I will be back as soon as I can. Thanks again.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 08:14:38

At 11/12/03 07:41 AM, RuthlessBastard wrote:
At 11/12/03 02:39 AM, thewasteofwebspace wrote: Ruthless said he had it sorted. fuckin hell where is he... you'd think he take more attention to keeping this game together than all of us...
I'm sorry guys, I got really busy again later on in the night last night. Thewaste, if you were wondering, I am infinity_haven@hotmail.com I was the one who sent you the movement engine in the first place along with the demo .fla to show you how it worked if you were in doubt.

Yeah dude, thanks for that. The engine is sWeet0r as promiced -- but i was expecting block movement, like pokemon styles, cuz i made an engine like that myself. if i get time i will post a demo of both up and everone can judge the best option...

Slacker, that is a really sweet character! Hmmm...don't you think it should be resized a bit for the resolution of 600x300?

Flash is a vector, so size is never a problem :D and I think its a good size, it gives a lot of room to view the surroundings with. but see wot others fink

But anyways, that is really sweet and we can use that! If you guys were wondering how file transfers are gonna be done, and can only send through e-mail but your file size is too high then just take individual symbols, save them in individual .fla's and state which one you're sending.

For me, music is always the big problem with transporting files... but as we get nearer and nearer to completion, its gonna be hard as hell.

Also, make sure that you name every single symbol with what it really is, NOT the default name for the symbol. When importing stuff from other .fla's I have learned from past experience that if two things have the same name (e.g. symbol 1)
it will ask you to replace or not, and either option you choose will screw your flash work up. MrRombie, you said that you wanted the movement engine as well? I can't send it to you right now because I have school, however, I'll send it to you when I return.

Already taken care of ;)

; Thewaste, are you in charge of the movement engine since you asked me for the .fla? Or am I? If you want to do it, that's fine, but if you don't I can manage it.

I dont wanna call roles of whos in charge of what. - we are all really your volunteers until the game starts slotting together, which assure everyone, isnt far away from being in full production.

I would like an advanced scripter to work on the diolouge engine for the movement engine once we are ready. anyone up to it? we need volunteers!

I'd like to apologize to all of you for not being around as much as you would want me to. I promise that I'll keep trying my best to keep you guys posted and updated. I have to go to school now, but I will be back as soon as I can. Thanks again.

Tis kool. I hav skool as well ;)
hav fun.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 09:46:00

Here is another madness character I drew (face a lil' litter). Again with the text to say if he found somthing.

Great idea

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 09:47:59

Sorry for double posting, If you guys need any of the madness characters you can just e-mail me toobit122@msn.com

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 12:23:58

Hey

Got a site up with some sounds on and few other bits. Sound Site

er... ...oh yeah, i really think we should use slackers character its top notch.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 12:53:27

Daamn... I also made a 45 degree character walking, but because of the huge amount of Movieclips, I can't submit it... If only you could submit short max 30 kb .swf's to the Forums...

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 13:18:12

put it on the web then

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 13:37:19

yea, the movement engine works great.

For a idea i had, we should have around the game small powerups. like that will make the main person run fast for like 20 seconds. (Speed Burst)

Great idea

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 14:30:28

just to clarify, is this the kind of thing were aiming for? but obviously at 45 degrees?

Great idea

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 14:34:13

yea pretty much?

have you played the game "Zelda: Link to the past" for gameboy, or supernintendo, thats the view.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 14:48:45

yeah yeah got that.

hey u know the map on ur site MrRombie, i got bored and made a new one. its on that site (My Site in my sig). and check ur forum i posted a bit.

IMPORTANT! - everyone shall i get on to e-mailing the people who created the big names like , knox, illwillpress, krinkles etc asking if we can use their characters?

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 14:52:14

At 11/12/03 02:48 PM, _LimpNoodle_ wrote: yeah yeah got that.

hey u know the map on ur site MrRombie, i got bored and made a new one. its on that site (My Site in my sig). and check ur forum i posted a bit.

Yea, i took alook at that map, looks pretty good, i like what the building look like.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 15:08:28

and the added mario tunnel. did u hover over the places? (u probably did but just to make sure).

And seein as ur a co producer should i e-mail them, here is a copy of what i would send:

Dear.....

Myself and a team of dedicated 'flashers' are currently working on a Flash game based on Newgrounds and its animations. I am asking permission to use your name and character(s) in this game.

Here are any links you may need to see what this is all about:
http://www.ngrpg.tk
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=94336&page=1

I am awaiting your reply.
Thank you for your time

so what do u think?

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 15:15:31

What could we use his name for?

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 15:38:04

At 11/12/03 03:08 PM, _LimpNoodle_ wrote: and the added mario tunnel. did u hover over the places? (u probably did but just to make sure).

And seein as ur a co producer should i e-mail them, here is a copy of what i would send:

Dear.....

Myself and a team of dedicated 'flashers' are currently working on a Flash game based on Newgrounds and its animations. I am asking permission to use your name and character(s) in this game.

Here are any links you may need to see what this is all about:
http://www.ngrpg.tk
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=94336&page=1

I am awaiting your reply.
Thank you for your time

Sound pretty good, make sure you tell them that you will be given credit for there charcters at the end of the game, and maybe a link from our site to theres, if they want it.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 15:38:11

who?

well "KNOX's" clay army
er thats about it good point ok i'll get rid of that

can people please start downloading AIM i thought every one had it? (i know messenger is so much better and file share can be done though it but u'know)

[LN]

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 17:29:34

At 11/12/03 03:38 PM, _LimpNoodle_ wrote: who?

well "KNOX's" clay army
er thats about it good point ok i'll get rid of that

can people please start downloading AIM i thought every one had it? (i know messenger is so much better and file share can be done though it but u'know)

[LN]

AIM? I don't think many people have AIM compared to MSN Messenger. I don't know much about AIM, but I think that msn messenger is wayyy better. Plus, the file transfers are VERY important when we're working on this project. Not to sound controlling or anything but I think that we should use msn messenger as our ways of communication instead of aim. Besides, I've already got MrRombie and maakkleine on mine. Oh, and by the way, nice job on the map. I have to admit, I like thewaste's map much better (no offense) though. Plus, you can't differentiate which places are stick city, madness town, lego land, and the city centre because the buildings all look exactly the same! But anyways, good amount of effort man. What do you other guys think about limpnoodle's map?

Anyways, good job though. If anyone wants to add me on their MSN messenger, add infinity_haven@hotmail.com on your list. I'm usually on from 3-5:30 and 8-9:45 every day (except wednesdays and thursdays, which I am on from like 4:30/5 to 5:30 and 8-9:45) And on the weekend's I'm on almost all the time. I'm having dinner right now so I'll be back at 8. Cya guys until then!

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 17:32:28

Aim has file share.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 18:01:24

Yeah i know about the buildings i just got lazy, and couldnt think of anything to distinguish them, yeah i feel messenger is sooooo much better.

(OOOOOH LEGO BRICKS!!! YES! i'll update it and make it better!)

Hey at least i got marios thing in there!

but i lost the badlands.

anyway i'm gonna stop talkin about a bloody map!

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 18:57:03

Or if you take it the full bird's eye veiw idea and change the "YOU FOUND SOMTHING" text to somthing a little differnt.

Great idea

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 20:24:24

Should I draw my character doing attacks (shooting guns, punching)?

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 20:34:47

Well, I just decided to work on a few tiles for the game right now. They're going to be 18x18, so I hope that fits good. I'm pretty good at making tiles for sprite games in paint, so I think I can handle flash even better. Gonna try a few cement and different variations of grass tiles, and I hope they work out. Errr...actually, I just tried 18x18 right now and it's quite small. Oh well, I guess I'll experiment a bit. Enough of me talking to myself. When I'm done a few tiles I'll send the link to them to see if you guys like them.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 20:52:29

I know this has already been brought up, but i think that everyone should download AIM just for file sharing, if nothing else.

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 21:04:22

At 11/12/03 08:24 PM, SlackerSoHa wrote: Should I draw my character doing attacks (shooting guns, punching)?

Well, the only time the main character will be fighting will be during the battle scene. Since we don't have any of the items made up yet, I'm not sure if you can start on that yet. You can once we have the battle system and the items fixed and ready. Also, please keep in mind that the fighting will happen in a 2d view instead of the 45 degree angle. Thanks so much for the character--I was just wondering; could you send me the .fla of the character with movements? I want to try a few things out and see how big the character is in proportion to some of the tiles, and check how well it will look with the script applied to the charater. Thanks. My e-mail is infinity_haven@hotmail.com. Good job once again man!

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 21:14:08

Hey I was just wondering if mabye I can be part of the graphics and animation to. For the size of the game it looks like theres not alot of people on that in the website. Picture is mabye what it would look like at game over screen. Just throwing out idea's here.

Great idea

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 21:45:47

At 11/12/03 08:52 PM, SlackerSoHa wrote: I know this has already been brought up, but i think that everyone should download AIM just for file sharing, if nothing else.

Does AIM have a file share limit or anything? I'm not sure since I haven't used it..Hmmm...thanks for the e-mail! You're right though, we do need to give a main name to this character. Since you made him, I think that you should have the right to name him!
I got to work a bit on the tiles today, and I'll keep working on them tomorrow too. I won't be on early tomorrow because I have to teach some people flash and stuff since I co-run a web design club in my school. Thanks man~!

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 23:04:16

i dont mind if you use my clay men :)

Response to Great idea 2003-11-12 23:34:48

At 11/12/03 02:30 PM, _LimpNoodle_ wrote: just to clarify, is this the kind of thing were aiming for? but obviously at 45 degrees?

Yeah, that would be the hit-test map limp. The graphics would be slightly 45degree angled. as in you could see small bits of the front sides, if u get me.

this is just what i imagined by the way