00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Limaou just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

That's not a Computer!

4,760 Views | 87 Replies

That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 10:06:04

Yesterday, this man came into Best Buy while I was visiting my brother, David, who works there. I had left David for a minute to look at the RAM, and I heard a customer walk up and ask him for help. What ensued was the funniest retail scenario I'd ever witnessed, including all the ridiculous ones I'd had at my three years of working at Books-A-Million (my job before my current one).

Man: I'm looking for a hard drive for my computer.

David: Did you want an external drive or an internal one?

Man: I need to replace the one that's already in it. A friend of mine told me it had gotten corrupted or crisped or something when lightning struck our house.

David: You'll want an internal one then. Do you know how much memory you want in it?

Man: Hang on a sec... wrote it down... I want one with at least 20 jigs... whatever a jig is.

David: (trying not to grin too noticeably) If you'll follow me sir, I'll show you what we have.

Curious, I casually followed behind them. They didn't see me, but David knew I was there, and I wanted to see what the guy would choose.

David: As you can see, we have a few different brands here, and I can show you the differences with each if you like. But as far as hard drives go, you get what you pay for (something he was trained to say, lol).

Man: Wait a minute. How big are these things?

David: Everything from here (he pointed) to here (he pointed again) is large enough for what you want.

Man: No, it's too big! These boxes are large... are the parts large too?

David: (confused) A hard drive will be about yay big (he formed a rectangle with his fingers, then another to show the other dimension).

Man: I don't want one of those. Don't you have any new ones? My computer's only this thick (he put his index and thumb about an inch apart).

David: Oh, you have a laptop?

Man: No... It's just a regular computer. But it's not so old that it needs a monster thing like that!

David: I'm confused (thinking that the customer was probably the confused one). Do you think we have any computers that are similar in size to yours?

Man: Oh yeah! I saw them on my way in. Here, I'll show you. (he led David over to the computers, and pointed at a large, flat panel monitor)

Man: That's what my computer looks like. Now can you see? you'll never find a place to put that thing in here. All you have are these little plugs down here, see? (he pointed to a USB port)

David: (understanding, and trying his best not to laugh) Sir, that's a monitor. These are computers (he motions toward the towers on the lower shelves).

Man: Now don't try to sell me something I don't want. I know what a computer is, for cripes' sake. Just sell me what I want.

David: What you want is a new hard drive for a PC, not a Laptop, right?

Man: Yeah.

David: Then we were in the right place earlier. These are what you want. (he took the man back to the hard drives and pointed to the same ones they'd been looking at)

Man: You don't know much about this, do you?

David: Sir, it's my job to know all about the computers we sell, and the parts we sell for them. On top of that, I've built my own computers, not to mention computers for my friends and family. I'm qualified, and I'd never try to sell you something I didn't think you need.

Man: Well, I'm not trying to insult you, but you really don't know half as much as you think you do.

I could see David beginning to turn red in the face, and I watched, entranced, to see what he'd do next.

Man: A computer is a device that shows you a bunch of stuff, like text and pictures. It takes input from my keyboard and mouse. Now how do you expect a big chunk of metal like THAT to fit in my computer? I told you what it looks like. Now take me to your more up-to-date hard drives so I can get one and get out of here. I'm not interested in clearing out your old stock.

David: (completely red now) I... You... Fine. I'll admit; I'm beaten. I'm going to go get my supervisor. He knows more about computers than even I do. If anyone here can help you find what you want, he can.

Man: All right then. That'll be fine. And don't be so hard on yourself, son. You young guys will learn your stuff eventually. Even us old guys make mistakes... sometimes.

David looked like he was about to say something, but he just smiled, nodded his head, and took off to tell his supervisor about his ordeal, and sic the customer on HIM instead. I shot him a smile as he left, but he avoided me, because he knew he'd lose it and die laughing if he looked at me.

While he was gone, I walked into view and casually pretended to look at the hard drives.

Man: Did you hear any of that garbage? That kid actually thought he could sell me these antiques!

Me: Antiques? I LOVE old computer equipment! Where?

Man: Right here! Look at the size of these things! Now where do you think you can fit these into a new computer?

I looked at them, then looked at the man. I smiled and shook my head.

Me: You haven't been a computer owner for long, have you, sir?

Man: (stiffening) What do you mean?

Me: These ARE up to date. Unless you have a laptop, you'll have no problem fitting these things into a computer.

Man: Another one! Look sweetie, these are computers here. (He took ME around and showed me the monitors. I watched politely as he pointed at them and grinned like he was teaching me something important).

Man: See? See all the pretty colors and pictures? That's a computer.

Me: That's odd. I have one of those at home, but it's not my computer. It's a peripheral called a monitor. It hooks INTO my computer, and gets its information from it. (I pointed to one of the towers.) Do you have one of these things too?

Man: (confused, and suddenly unsure of himself). Yeah, now that you mention it, I do. But I only use that to put in CDs. It's not a CD-reader?

Me: (I laughed, but not in a mean way). Yeah, it can read CDs, of course. But it does everything else a computer does, because it IS the computer. When was the last time you saw a CD player this size? We've had diskman and boomboxes for how long now?

Man: I think I may have been wrong... I don't even know what I need now!

Me: I wouldn't worry about it. Just do what I did, when I needed a new hard drive for my computer. Get a family member or friend to put it in for you, and pick it out for you. I have a brother who's great with that stuff. He built his own computers, and mine too. He works here, but I haven't been able to find him yet. His name's David.

Man: I... I haven't seen him yet. If I do, I'll ask him for help.

Me: Okay! Good luck with your search! Hope you find what you need!

I left him then, and HE was the one red in the face.

That's not a Computer!

"Men don't grow up; they just grow out."

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 10:11:43

That's great :)

I love watching technically incompetent people pretend to know what they're talking about.

You should consider applying for a job there :P

Flag stolen content, don't be a dingus.

BBS Signature

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 10:13:15

haha that was good, he got what he deserved

BBS Signature

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 10:13:24

Pure ownage.

I love stupid people.

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 10:14:17

At 1/22/07 10:11 AM, Peregrinus wrote: That's great :)

I love watching technically incompetent people pretend to know what they're talking about.

You should consider applying for a job there :P

Lol. No way I'm working retail again. xD At least the job I'm at now has people who know the difference between a boombox and a computer, lol. I'm a software developer now. I went to college so I didn't have to deal with ignorant boobs like him every day. xD

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 10:14:23

Heh, I wonder if you could successfully jam a hard drive into the computer using the USB port... nah....

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 10:19:22

if i would be david i would be kicking the guy's ass.. i dont have a temper that good

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 10:21:07

At 1/22/07 10:14 AM, Shuko wrote: I'm a software developer now.

Fancy

I went to college so I didn't have to deal with ignorant boobs like him every day. xD

Sorry for the rude awakening, but thinking that college enshrines you with the power to avoid idiots, I'm sorry, but nothing can...

That and your on the BBS, so you'd have to deal with them either way...

At 1/22/07 10:14 AM, Xragon wrote: Heh, I wonder if you could successfully jam a hard drive into the computer using the USB port... nah....

Only if it was external...but you knew that :)

BBS Signature

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 10:21:19

I'm curious.
You're brother being the actual professional, why didn't he explain it in such simple terms for such a simple mind?

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 10:22:01

Hahaha, what a fucking idiot.

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 10:22:37

thats hilarious, i wish i had an amusing anecdote about computers :(

i wish i could have been there

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 10:22:52

At 1/22/07 10:21 AM, Peregrinus wrote:
At 1/22/07 10:14 AM, Shuko wrote: I'm a software developer now.
Fancy

I went to college so I didn't have to deal with ignorant boobs like him every day. xD
Sorry for the rude awakening, but thinking that college enshrines you with the power to avoid idiots, I'm sorry, but nothing can...

That and your on the BBS, so you'd have to deal with them either way...

I say that because at the time, I thought that's how it would be. Naturally I've learned differently, but I'm encountering a different kind of idiot now. At least the retail idiots seem funnier now than they did when I had to work with them. xD

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 10:24:12

David is my hero!

I think i would have killed a guy like that. Don't people know if someone works at a place they possibly have more knowledge of the store and the items in it then others?
...er this excludes South Africa.

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 10:24:17

Haha, great. I love how you wrapped it all up at the end.

The sad thing is, those kinds of mishaps are no way uncommon in computer stores.

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 10:25:53

At 1/22/07 10:21 AM, DJ-Jerakai wrote: I'm curious.
You're brother being the actual professional, why didn't he explain it in such simple terms for such a simple mind?

Because my brother, like me, doesn't think that way. :) He's a good salesman for the most part, but after working with computers for so long, he tends to make things more complicated than he should for the customers without proper knowlege, lol. This isn't the first time he's had to get his supervisor, but then again, he's not the only one that has to do that sort of thing, lol.

I'm not saying we're smarter. I'm just saying that we both don't really learn how to deal with people like that easily. :( One of the reasons why I was glad to get out of retail. I was tired of feeling like I was talking down to everyone, and feeling guilty about it. xD Sure, I call 'em idiots and ignorant boobs, but that doesn't mean I'm proud to say it. ;)

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 10:30:28

jigs... lol!

teh 373rn4| r4bb17 pwn5 j00!111!1!

BBS Signature

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 10:31:40

You, sir, win at the internuts.

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 10:39:47

At 1/22/07 10:31 AM, ColdAsStone wrote: By the way ( I'm not sure if you've mentioned already), what's your current employment?

Just so, you know, you can stalk her...

I mean. A programmer. Who wouldn't stalk that?

BBS Signature

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 10:47:40

Amazing you recalled that much.

Heh, good story. Funny, in a nerdy sort of way =D

BBS Signature

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 10:49:19

I love these stories, there are hundreds like it at www.rinkworks.com/stupid, they're hysterical.

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 11:03:41

I don't care what any of you say. It's the computer! Don't try to sell me on this antique mumbo jumbo 'towers' of which you speak! I want to speak to your supervisor because you're trying to sell me garbage!

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 11:17:22

At 1/22/07 11:03 AM, Krinkels wrote: I don't care what any of you say. It's the computer! Don't try to sell me on this antique mumbo jumbo 'towers' of which you speak! I want to speak to your supervisor because you're trying to sell me garbage!

Krinkels :D

BBS Signature

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 11:50:46

Haha! Loved how you handled that

You go girl! (^_^)

You can be a paedo to me any time - Amaranthus

BBS Signature

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 11:57:45

I lol'd.

I'M AN ATHEIST LOL.

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 12:09:03

At 1/22/07 10:47 AM, elkrobber wrote: Amazing you recalled that much.

Heh, good story. Funny, in a nerdy sort of way =D

I know. xD David wants me to print this out and save it for him. :P He's not as good with words as I am (so he says, lol), and he wanted something to remember this by. He wants to have it put up in the break room. xD

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 12:38:41

I can't believe you didn't burst out laughing

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 12:43:13

At 1/22/07 12:38 PM, III-D wrote: I can't believe you didn't burst out laughing

I had to cover my mouth a few times when my brother was talking to him, lol.

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 12:45:24

That was worth the read , what an idiot

Somebody make me a cunting signature.

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 12:48:10

Why did you con him in needing something he did not want. This "tower" you are talking about sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo.

Sig by CoolCatDaddio. <<RESPECT>>

BBS Signature

Response to That's not a Computer! 2007-01-22 17:10:25

At 1/22/07 12:09 PM, Shuko wrote: I know. xD David wants me to print this out and save it for him. :P He's not as good with words as I am (so he says, lol), and he wanted something to remember this by. He wants to have it put up in the break room. xD

Do it, for great justice.

BBS Signature