00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Robert0241 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Public Apology to Newgrounds.

10,482 Views | 163 Replies

Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:20:58

I decided to write this after reading a comment on the forums here. THen i realized that some people have a opinion of me thats totally untrue. This may be a bit late to even matter, but i want people to know where I'm coming form. And hopefuly understand why I do what I do. I also write this knowing full well the responces it's bound to get here on the fourms.

It's no secret I don't make as many movies as i used to. This is for a few reasons: be it other hobbies and Flash not being as exciting as it once was. It's also no secret I don't do the more advanced side of Flash animating. I'm selective on what I work on because of these things.

A few months ago I released a World of Warcraft based movie I was quite proud of. All the feedback I got back from it when making it was very positive. I felt it was a good quality movie and the public will respond favorably. And I was right. The movie was released with good feedback. However...

During the course of the night the score got lower and lower. And not just the normal decaying of a score, but from a abundance or users voting low. It was soon at a score that was, in mine and Tom Fulp's opinion, far to low for a movie of that quality.

It might surprise some of you, but I know very well some people just won't like what I do. I released that movie well aware of my reputation on the vocal NG forums. I never assumed to get a #1 rated movie of all time, or even a #1 for the day. But when the movie has the score to be in the top 5 of the day one minute then falls so quickly even before it even has a chance to earn it, it's quite upsetting.

I was angry that a movie I work hard on for months was getting treated that way. A score is just a score... But in this case the score wasn't fair.

And it may shock you again but I don't care if I get a negative review as long as it's constructive. But what I was seeing here were extremely low scores for no good reason. So I made a post on my deviantART page about how "I have outgrown NG." And in the case of the reviews this movie was getting that statement was true. There we're plenty of constructive reviews with lower scores, and I accept that. But the majority of them were flames, or criticism for silly reasons.

I talked things over with Tom, saying how I was upset, but ultimately I decided I myself was being stupid. I just never made a post about it. Perhaps it didn't have the appeal I thought it would have. Other flash sites with user scoring voted the movie at around the same level. (after the NG score evened itself out again that is) People saw it right? Thats what always mattered to me.

A few days later the movie got #6 in the monthly contest. (so close! :( ) This said to me it wasn't necessarily the movie itself, but a vocal number of users that voted when it was released.

This long boring letter is a apology to anyone who read that DA message. Even though I do I have criticisms with NG, it was not directed with the NG members that make it a good place.

So for those here who don't seem to like me for whatever reason, I hope you know I'm not some egotistical jerk who bad mouthed NG just because a movie I made didn't do fantastic on the site.

I hope in the all future submissions to this site will be judged fairly b the vast majority of it's users. I, like many other flash artists, do this out of the goodness of my heart. I don't get paid for what i do here. I make movies because I like it, and other people like what I do. And believe it or not, people on NG like it to.

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:25:18

I think I would vote fairly, I found your new halo short quite good, although not that good. I think when your first flash came around newgrounds was not as mature as it now Is, people say a lot that "You stole jokes." You may have, but who doesn't. Your animation Is good, I think you should try a differnt style, I think that you would be better suited to style.

That is my opinion. Most people on NG are flamewar obsessed 13 year olds, don't listen to them, but make sure you take other peoples critisism In.

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:26:03

At 11/15/06 02:23 PM, Whooter wrote: tl:dr But yeah, I don't like you because I think you're not funny, not because you insulted newgrounds or whatever.

So fucking what? You have to vote on a ubmission based on its quality, not the author.

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:26:15

At 11/15/06 02:24 PM, MickTheChampion wrote: Who the fuck are you?

He has a point here

lol

What would you do?

"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity." - Albert Einstein

Yes, Newgrounds, that quote is dedicated 4 you.

BBS Signature

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:26:17

Personally, I'm a pretty big fan of yours.
Sometimes people get jealous and start complaining, then retards conform with them to be cool or whatever, and it all got out of hand really.
Anyways. as long as people enjoy your work (like me) does a score really matter?
The animation it's self is the achivement, the score is just a number.

BBS Signature

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:27:18

At 11/15/06 02:20 PM, LegendaryFrog wrote: BIG letter

I completely agree.
I sure hope this doesn't manipulate your flash skills? :)
But as far as i understand, the movie has been blammed?
Could you give us/me a link to watch it?

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:27:23

Remember that time you stole piconjos work, and submitted it when he was away, wait arent you that rip off of some pancake guy

I hope my sig dosen't come out distorted

BBS Signature

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:31:28

The point of submitting something is to allow a community to judge and comment it. Weither or not the community is impartial doesn't allow anyone to change the judgment itself, even though it should make the administrators strenghten their system. So, if the users don't vote responsibly enough for your criterias, you either leave or let things as they are now.

Also, you might want to ask yourself why so much users dislike you.

However, I'm a personnal fan of your work, I don't know you at all so I have no reason of judging it otherwise.

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:31:57

At 11/15/06 02:29 PM, Metal-Gear-Solid wrote: I like all your movies, most people don't like your movies.
Most 13 year old.

oh wow you've must of gained so much knowlege and wisdome in that one year.

I hope my sig dosen't come out distorted

BBS Signature

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:32:05

i don't just vote by what i see in the first half second of the movie... i watch the entire thing and then vote accordingly... but i have had that when a movie i make gets a good score and then drops quite a bit on the next day or two

teh 373rn4| r4bb17 pwn5 j00!111!1!

BBS Signature

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:33:32

At 11/15/06 02:25 PM, CitricSquid wrote:
Some wanna-be probably.

how dare you say that i would killo you if i knew you

froggy i luv all your flashes

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:33:38

Everythings up for criticism and praise these days. Submitting to a public portal comes with the risk of receiving quite strong opinions

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:34:04

Perhaps because Warcraft has a smaller following than Final Fantasy. If I recall that movie it wasn't very exciting and there weren't many graphics or even much animation and it wasn't funny, but it could also beto do with that it's Warcraft and not FF.

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:34:58

Lol SS.

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:35:32

I voted high for that when it came out even didnt it hadnt its funny spark that I thought some of your other flashes had.
I just didnt make me laugh, not once.
I dont know if I've gotten too used to your humour or something but I thought that was a bit of a let-down.

Gamertag: BlackFlameNG Xbox 360 Club

Gamerscore: 25,275- last updated 23/February/09

Steam ID: BlackFlameNG

BBS Signature

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:36:46

He does have an point.

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:36:51

Well, I've asked people why they don't like your movies and most of 'em keep saying;
"He steals Simpson jokes."
"He over-uses motion-tweening."
"h4y 5to7e Picon joo moveeee! >:( "

So, yeah. But I'm still a fan.

BBS Signature

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:37:19

At 11/15/06 02:26 PM, FullyLoaded wrote:
He has a point here

lol

True...heheheh...

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:38:42

Don't worry about it man,we still love you :)

Heck, you are still one of my favorite artists here, although I do believe we need another Kerrigan movie soon, it's been a while.

Also, remember that you are not the only one with that problem. Mass voting has become increasingly annoying wether it is to save or blam movies of certain authors, all we can do is try to vote fairly on it to level things out.

Hope things get better for you.

Keep spreading teh love :)

Public Apology to Newgrounds.

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:41:23

Don't go all emo about a lame score that will hardly get you anywhere.
Most people on this website don't give a shit about the work that goes into animation.

You should animate because you want to animate, for personal gain or whatever.

Don't animate with the sole intention of showing it to a bunch of stupid kids. The sad fact is, we don't care.

Use skills to your advantage.

BBS Signature

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:42:02

what the hell some of you dont know who he is? how in the hell this is legendaryfrog, The man whos animations are almost as popular as www.albinoblacksheep.com.

lol hes a grate animator. but Joe, dont worry about the score of the WOW animation the reason why was that some people never played WOW and of course didnt get wat was going on, it wasnt the best this to make a parody on coz WOW inst as well known as LOTR e.c.t...

Anyways you seem to have a very high scoring animation in TSAH2 so theres nothing to worry about, please keep up the work, im a crazed fan lol

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:43:14

In the beginning, you inspired me to make Flash. Since then I have improved on my own.

That's all I have to say.

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:44:56

I haven't forgave you

Is this an announcement now or are you actually going to reply to your feedback?

He'd Look Just Like You'd Want Him Too, Some Kind of Slick Chrome American Prince.

Tweet//LastFM//Qwantz//Blog

BBS Signature

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 14:52:18

fucking ignorant

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 15:09:05

you're so gay for posting such useless shit

BBS Signature

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 15:10:09

It's not your animation. Your comedic timing is horrible.

''OMG A MUFFIN''.

Stupid jokes & Excellent animations.

This may seem cynical and not constructive but that's my solid opinion of why you do so badly.

And just like that....he was gone...

BBS Signature

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 15:11:29

People who "hate" you (someone they have never met, and are not forced to watch your movies) are just bandwagon whore.

I still love your older stuff though, and you are one of the only select flash artists that has made me laugh out loud, along with the Super Flash Bros and EgoRaptor.

I still <3 ya.

I hardly ever come here anymore....

BBS Signature

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 15:11:42

At 11/15/06 02:20 PM, LegendaryFrog wrote: A few days later the movie got #6 in the monthly contest. (so close! :( )

I've gotten 6th so many times, I know how it feels.

What you have to realize is that newground voters aren't the best educated people in the world. Often times, people will just vote 5 or 0 cause it makes the most effect on a score of a movie.

People don't understand the term overrated. Basically anything that someone doesn't like, they will call it overrated. Unless nobody else likes it. If the score is not what that person thinks it should be, it's automatically over/underated. I'm beginning to get sick of it myself. People going "this videogame is overrated" or "this artist is overrated" or "this website is overrated", etc.

However, you have a little different situation though. It's not just a matter of people considering you overrated (which, btw, has nothing to do with the author). You are also popular on this site. People get jealous easily and downvote anything better than their stuff. Some people even go as far as to say that the popular authors simply cash in on their popularity and submit crappier stuff. In a sence, that is true, but there's always another side. People don't realize that the majority of us just do flash for fun.

The popularity and decreasing quality trend is sort of like a cycle. Without negative constructive reviews, we can't improve. However, the majority of negative review are simply hare reviews. That doesn't help anyone, and in turn won't allow the author to improve.

It's hard, but I eventually learned to not take anything the general NG users seriously unless they sound and act intelligent.

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 15:18:34

i vote on the quality of the flash.

and i don't know who you are

_____EYE____HEART ____SAW

BBS Signature

Response to Public Apology to Newgrounds. 2006-11-15 15:18:51

he is an amazing flash maker you NOOB

i love bees

BBS Signature