00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

XxarachnidfelinexX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Atheist Army

229,605 Views | 3,464 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Atheist Army 2007-12-25 21:16:18

At 12/25/07 07:23 PM, Brick-top wrote: It was smokey, like seeing your grandfather sitting on a chair infront of a fire smoking a cigar or pipe. Quite a relaxing drink.

Ugh, call me young and pussy, but whiskey is like drinking liquid smoke that burns your lungs.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2007-12-26 15:52:29

At 12/25/07 09:16 PM, SadisticMonkey wrote:
At 12/25/07 07:23 PM, Brick-top wrote: It was smokey, like seeing your grandfather sitting on a chair infront of a fire smoking a cigar or pipe. Quite a relaxing drink.
Ugh, call me young and pussy, but whiskey is like drinking liquid smoke that burns your lungs.

Not all is smoky, I had some whisky was amazingly smooth. The only problem is it was older than I was lol.

Yep, I'm a whisky fanatic. Scottish highland whisky will burn a hole out your arse.

Response to The Atheist Army 2007-12-26 23:17:39

At 12/26/07 07:10 PM, Brick-top wrote:
At 12/26/07 10:38 AM, MickTheChampion wrote: Why atheism?
When you understand why you don't follow any other Gods you will understand why I don't follow yours.

Bricky, you never cease to amaze me <3

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2007-12-27 13:32:51

At 12/26/07 11:17 PM, SadisticMonkey wrote:
At 12/26/07 07:10 PM, Brick-top wrote:
At 12/26/07 10:38 AM, MickTheChampion wrote: Why atheism?
When you understand why you don't follow any other Gods you will understand why I don't follow yours.

That's a famous quote (well used tho)

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." (Stephen Roberts)

Response to The Atheist Army 2007-12-27 21:06:46

At 12/27/07 01:32 PM, Earfetish wrote:

Oh, yeah, now I see the rest of it I remember it.
He's always seems to have the perfect quote ready to go lol.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2007-12-28 16:10:50

At 12/24/07 08:36 PM, Earfetish wrote: I got God is Not Great by Hitchens this year

He really puts across a forceful argument as to why religion is negative

He rubbishes the three monotheisms quite easily and there's not a whole lot of focus on why religion is incorrect, and none really about the existence of God, but there's definitely unarguable points as to why religion causes great trouble.

Response to The Atheist Army 2007-12-28 18:44:49

At 12/28/07 04:10 PM, Earfetish wrote: He rubbishes the three monotheisms quite easily and there's not a whole lot of focus on why religion is incorrect, and none really about the existence of God, but there's definitely unarguable points as to why religion causes great trouble.

Yeah, I guess that is the theme of the book, which fits in well with the title. The majority of it is historical events and personal experiences, and even as someone like myself who considers religion to be horribly dangerous, I was not aware it was to such a great extent until after reading it.
It's quite different to the god delusion, which is mostly about the illogicality(?) of religion, which also fits it's title.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2007-12-28 20:43:28

At 12/28/07 06:44 PM, SadisticMonkey wrote: It's quite different to the god delusion, which is mostly about the illogicality(?) of religion, which also fits it's title.

yeah, gonna have to read it again. I was very impressed with how he could get a book out of saying why God doesn't exist, and only occasionally looking at why religion is harmful. I'll have to read Sam Harris and Daniel Dennet at some point too - my mate's got Sam Harris and has offered to loan it to me.

lol@arguing about religion on the internet, every argument is so silly, and I have to say, they always seem atheist-sided. I don't know if religious people view them the same way, or if they think they systematically shit all over atheism, but I suspect they know we've got a stronger logical foundation than they do.

I do like to notice how the argument always veers off from the subject of 'why your religion is incorrect'. And on to 'why do atheists care', or 'what started the Big Bang', and away from the shaky grounds of religious conviction.

Response to The Atheist Army 2007-12-29 01:31:03

At 12/28/07 08:43 PM, Earfetish wrote: I'll have to read Sam Harris and Daniel Dennet at some point too - my mate's got Sam Harris and has offered to loan it to me.

Letter to a Christian nation is very good. It's like a sort of dumbed down God is not great, but not necessarily in a bad way.

lol@arguing about religion on the internet, every argument is so silly, and I have to say, they always seem atheist-sided. I don't know if religious people view them the same way, or if they think they systematically shit all over atheism, but I suspect they know we've got a stronger logical foundation than they do.

When you you start dealing with people who use the 'f word', that is, faith, you're better off arguing with a brick wall.
Every single argument can be, although not legitimately, trumped by faith.

I do like to notice how the argument always veers off from the subject of 'why your religion is incorrect'.

Haha, sadly yes.

And on to 'why do atheists care', or 'what started the Big Bang', and away from the shaky grounds of religious conviction.

This sort of shit starts flying once you've backed them into a wall. It's so damn frustrating trying to tell them that A, religion isn't meek and innocent, and B, the idea of a creator has no more relevance to their faith than that of pastafarianism.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-01-01 15:40:26

(Hi there, I'm Sam. I'm agnostic not atheist but whatever, we seem to have mainly the same viewpoints.)

Well I don't really argue with Christians unless they insist on it, and I find that a lot of their argument is based on their denial. There are people that have absolute "faith" that their "god" exists, but most people are followers and not leaders, so therefore most people are stubborn and weak-willed. I'm not calling myself a "leader," but I've got to say, the people who argue when they hear I don't believe in a "god" put up some really stupid arguments. And whenever I say anything that proves them wrong, they always find some loophole. And like some people have said above me, the loopholes are cheating and they're really not legit. They're just so damned afraid to question their beliefs system. It's so pitiful. I feel really sorry for the people that let religion crush their lives. Religion is so depressing.

"I like to put on the Backstreet Boys and have men hit me with wet towels...." - Billy Corgan

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-01-01 18:16:09

I definitely see where you're coming from. My entire family is Southern Baptist and unwilling to admit the chance that there is no god. I am an agnostic also, but I consider myself to be agnostic only in thought. I can't see myself going back to any "organized" religion and, although I admit the possibility of a god, I really don't believe there's a god, at least not one as we see it. As far as denial goes I find it interesting the irony one hears when listening to christians talk about death and secular things, money for instance. I have only met a handful of christians who find themselves able to celebrate death because they believe their loved one is closer to god, and some of them I know acted differently when someone close to them died. So many christian songs talk about heaven and that we should rejoice. My dad has been a music minister for several churches and it truly boggles me how blinded he is to his own behavior. Before I went to college he suggested high paying jobs that I should look at, nothing that involved serving his god (not that at the time I was either still a "christian" or hadn't told my parents my doubts yet). He just bought a business yesterday and where is the selflessness there? My dad worries about money and retirement, my mom worries about family. If you made their gods out of what they think about the most, it would be money and family.

What really irks me is that they have the nerve to say I'm being closed-minded about my search!!! They can't even admit the possibility that there isn't a god, but I'm the one who's closed minded?!?! *sigh* if anyone has had the same experience with their parents I could use some help on getting them to leave me alone, and trying to get them to see how closed-minded they really are.

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-01-01 19:08:56

Hey all could i join?

I'm a huge athiest and whilst respect some religeous people, i hate the vast majority.

Is anybody here fans of TheAmazingAthiest and PaulsEgo of youtube?

Also Thunderf00t is a very well taught man who disproves all christians with science and he explains how they're wrong in 20 minute videos which are really inciteful.

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-01-01 20:37:49

At 1/1/08 03:40 PM, BreakingFaces wrote: (Hi there, I'm Sam. I'm agnostic not atheist but whatever, we seem to have mainly the same viewpoints.)

Yeah, this thread should be viewed more as something like "Newgrounds Secular society" rather than an atheist only club.
If you don't believe in god(s), then you're more than qualified to join.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-01-01 22:34:32

At 1/1/08 07:08 PM, cookie-monsta1 wrote:
Is anybody here fans of TheAmazingAthiest

Sadly, yes.

and PaulsEgo of youtube?

Was this before TAA told everyone to subscribe or after :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-01-02 13:39:16

At 12/27/07 09:06 PM, SadisticMonkey wrote:
At 12/27/07 01:32 PM, Earfetish wrote:

Oh, yeah, now I see the rest of it I remember it.
He's always seems to have the perfect quote ready to go lol.

Thank you.

OMG I'M BACK!!!

Here's a little something on Hell. And some Bible study for Atheists.

While I was gone I got myself a new lap top, wireless internet and I'm joining weight watchers.

And I really need to cut down on the drink.

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-01-02 19:09:49

It may be a sensible life decision for me to shut up about religion.

But I really can't stop hating it. And hating that the world disagrees, and loves it. And Islam.

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-01-02 19:51:31

At 1/2/08 07:09 PM, Earfetish wrote: But I really can't stop hating it. And hating that the world disagrees, and loves it. And Islam.

It's a path to insanity, arguing about religion. Not really interested in the BBS' viewpoints on much else any more, though. If I have ever managed to convince one person of one point in my multi-pronged attacks, they sure were quiet about it.

I just really hate it, and I don't think I'll ever stop hating religion. I can differentiate between the violent and foreboding Islam and the quiet and constrained Hindus, but even if I started really loving the benign religions, I'd still really hate the dogmatic and political ones.

gah

hopefully we'll sort out Islam before I sink into an unstoppable depresssion, and hopefully religious people will get a fucking clue, I'm anticipating the rise of irreligious deism and theism but I'm not too sure, I think Humanity is just that dumb

It was alright for us to be that dumb before there was the threat of Nuclear Holocaust too, but some tinpot theocracy could easily be both dumb and suicidal, because the Gaza Strip is just that fucking important

sheesh

anyway futile task, especially over the internet, I'll see how I feel tomorrow. I don't much like the religious conviction I've got in my belief, I'm actually kinda desperate for a religious person to talk me out of it

next religious idiot who comes in here flaming, tell me why religion doesn't harm the world, or how it brings a lot of good to the world, and how belonging to a specific organised religion isn't really stupid

for the sake of my sanity

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-01-02 20:13:15

I do kinda think as well the only way secularists will accomplish all their goals is if the media really gets behind us.

Like, when they're reporting on a story about Israel or whatever, report on it with an anti-religion stance. If religion is making the problem far worse, then mention it. Be skeptical with things that beg for skepticism. Get rid of astrology columns, and whenever a religious figure tries to get a political viewpoint across by referencing God or the Bible, then comment on how poor an argument it is. Richard Dawkins occasionally getting shouted over on TV isn't gonna change the world with any urgency.

or maybe I'm totally wrong, but I really don't think I am

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-01-02 20:54:02

At 1/2/08 08:39 PM, MickTheChampion wrote: Did you just get some sticky black or something?

yeah man, and I bought it from an Israeli Jew who picked it up off some dodgy Lebanese character so it was the worst of both worlds

no really, I do seem to be really getting into being anti-religion, and I don't like hating such a massive part of the world, or my deepest convictions being really offensive to people I love

and people who know me well know that I can go in a rant about religion with the right provoking

I'll probably be more alright when I've done my last essay and got back to uni, stress and boredom aren't helping my mental state much either, and throwing myself into so many religious arguments keeps it to the forefront of my mind and kinda ripens the hate

it all started with some fucking Muslims arguing against free speech on Facebook

and then me asking my very intelligent Muslim friend for his opinion and him agreeing

and now it's like I am emphasising with the oppressive dogma of the whole world, although the rest of the world don't seem to much care about their oppressive dogma

And nuclear weapons, and the state of the Middle East; I don't really know if I'll ever have kids or if we'll all be dead

I'd probably be grand if we didn't have nuclear weapons

I know you hate me calling religion 'social control', but I'm trying to re-adjust my mindset so I hate social control in all its forms and want free thought and independent inquiry everywhere, rather than just focusing on religion

might be worth leaving this BBS really

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-01-02 21:27:20

I guess there's also the thing that our opinions about the very nature of life and the universe are completely different, as well as our views of the role of religion in the world, and all the essays of points I've made have always been completely dismissed, and often re-argued with me a while later.

IT's the same with every other argument, I guess, but at least in other arguments people at least act like they know where you're coming from. But then that's also a side-effect of e-arguing.

Actually I don't think e-arguing is doing me any good, and it's taking up too much of my time, and I'd rather be doing loads of other shit really. Although sometimes I have great arguments, but sometimes I have great wanks or read a great essay or enlightening book.

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-01-02 21:31:00

At 1/1/08 10:34 PM, SadisticMonkey wrote:
At 1/1/08 07:08 PM, cookie-monsta1 wrote:
and PaulsEgo of youtube?
Was this before TAA told everyone to subscribe or after :P

That wasn't the question :P

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-01-02 21:57:55

If you leave, I might just leave too.

I can't help hating religion myself. I have witnessed some of the things that have happened in the Middle East, and I'm not the same person. Government is a social control, and so is religion. They're in a way synonomous. Politics and religion date back to empires 1000s of years ago, because they simply try to group and set limits to people and claim to be a deity. There is no god, there is no caring and honest government or religion, and to be honest, I'm pretty fucking fed up with world events and people.

And just like that....he was gone...

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-01-02 22:49:24

At 1/2/08 07:51 PM, Earfetish wrote: If I have ever managed to convince one person of one point in my multi-pronged attacks, they sure were quiet about it.

Don't worry, you've helped me.
And not just since I've become a Dawkins fanboy level atheist either, mind you. Back when I was a Christian losing his faith, I quite often came here, and it really did help me. So don't think your efforts have gone completely unnoticed.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-01-03 08:10:20

At 1/2/08 08:54 PM, Earfetish wrote: might be worth leaving this BBS really

Yeah...sure.

There's a better chance a Bugatti Veyron pulling up in front of my house. the guy getting out the car, slapping the keys in my hand and saying Merry Christmas.

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-01-03 09:04:48

What exactly does an army of atheists fight for? Being an atheist doesn't have to mean you're against religion, you just don't believe in anything. I am an atheist myself, but I respect the fact that there are people who have a religion.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has said that. :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-01-03 09:19:45

At 1/3/08 09:04 AM, Pyrowman wrote: I'm sure I'm not the only one who has said that. :P

Of course not

how can you look at organised religion in today's world and not think it's bad and worth getting pissed off about

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-01-03 09:35:52

At 1/3/08 09:19 AM, Earfetish wrote:
At 1/3/08 09:04 AM, Pyrowman wrote: I'm sure I'm not the only one who has said that. :P
Of course not

how can you look at organised religion in today's world and not think it's bad and worth getting pissed off about

Religion itself isn't bad, people make it bad.

BBS Signature

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-01-03 09:38:57

At 1/3/08 09:35 AM, Pyrowman wrote: Religion itself isn't bad, people make it bad.

What about the Religions that tell you to do bad things?

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-01-03 09:42:56

At 1/3/08 09:35 AM, Pyrowman wrote: Religion itself isn't bad, people make it bad.

Would've thought you'd say that

What if I were to say that being told how to live your life morally is an attack on freedom and the intellect, mention the Catholic evangelisaing about the evil of condoms in sub-Saharan Africa, mention that loads of Muslims want to kill us, and say the only reason billions (rather than thousands) of people care about the Gaza Strip is because of religion

or circumcision and female genital mutilation

or killing gays, or disliking gays

stem cells, abortion, Creationism

I want organised religion to have no political clout at all; I really don't see why atheists are satisfied with it having the amount it does now

especially since it's so patently false

even if it is 'people' who are sewing up baby girls' vaginas. they wouldn't have any impetus to do it without religion

Response to The Atheist Army 2008-01-03 09:52:58

At 1/3/08 09:42 AM, Earfetish wrote:
Text

Ok, you got me there. But some of the things you mention, like killing gay people and stuff, aren't official rules of that religion. That's the difference between the religious and the extremists.

BBS Signature