00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Samurai2513 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Martial Arts Club

424,364 Views | 9,144 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-03 10:18:38

One thing about Uncle Sam, he makes sure all of his boys know how to fight!

This is how military martial arts were described to me:

"Basically what they do is take the meanest, nastiest and most deadly aspects from all the other martial arts and throw them together to create a fighting style."

My neighbor accross the street has a son who joined the marines, he was trained in this martial art and that was how he described it.

I don't remember everything that he said but I remember that they don't kick to the head because it takes too long. They also do have a belt system, I can't remember what the colors are but there's only four with black being the last.

Dsm:
So don't underestimate him!

I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. I just thought you all should know :)

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-03 11:02:27

mono: i was starting to get a bit annoyed, but i was tired, havent been getting much sleep lately.. good thing i went to bed when i did, i can get grumpy.

bout the army guys: a couple guys i train with are in the military (my instructer is in the Air force) and they are the highest ranking people in the class. its probably more the individual people, but these guys also seem pretty dedicated, alot of their free time is spent studieing ninpo and stuff. its also a cool thing to know that these people have actually fought in battles and still come to training.

and if its army training he's done then be careful.. it seems alot diffrent then TKD.. i dont know exactly, but dont be surprized if he pulls something you wouldnt expect.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-03 11:04:23

At 7/3/06 03:57 AM, Monocrom wrote:
It's one thing if you're a dedicated martial artist......... But imagine being the guy in charge of training a whole bunch of average guys who's skill-level can be anywhere on the chart.

it's not much different than training anyone one really...except these people have a greater chance of using it...Hand to Hand combat is almost unseen in the military much these days anyway...

but overall, the military gives them tools that are applicable which nobody can complain about...with my current knowledge, I feel it would leave me wanting more as a martial artist...

well, like, you couldn't, like, find it because, like, you're dumb, god

Follow me on twitter :3

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-03 11:13:30

To: Theban-

DSM still has an excellent chance of winning....... The problem with learning mostly killer-moves is the fact that it's a bit tough to use those moves during sparring.

For obvious reasons.

-------------------------
To: Ts-

No problem, I understand. Lack of sleep is the #1 cause of grumpyness. ;)
Don't worry about it.
-------------------------
To: f0x-

Ah! ............ But that's my main point. You're a martial artist, and they're soldiers.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-03 11:15:57

No im not going to underestimate him. I dont underestimate anyone, however i know ill still beat him.

One of the masters at my school used to teach the Korean marines so i atleast have an idea of what the instructors are like and the Koreans are alot harder than the American army. And this is if he wants to spar me which im pretty sure he does.

This is how I kick your ass in real life. Martial Arts Club

And this is how I kick your ass in video games Super Smash Bros. Club

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-03 22:39:52

To: Theban & any other members whose Art teaches how to defend against the blade -
Okay, my curiosity got the better of me. I know that the style of Kenpo that Theban takes teaches how to defend against a knifer....... without actually learning how one can USE the knife itself. I find this somewhat puzzling, even though I know that Kenpo is not the only Art that does this.

Here are my questions:

1) Which parts of the human body are emphasized as the best targets for a knifer to go for, and thus need to be defended most?

2) Is the traditional X-Block taught as a good defense tactic?

3) Are defenses against multiple attackers taught?

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-03 23:44:18

At 7/3/06 10:39 PM, Monocrom wrote:
Here are my questions:

1) Which parts of the human body are emphasized as the best targets for a knifer to go for, and thus need to be defended most?

we got knife defense in Hung Fa Yi...

target areas are the soft underbelly below the rib cage...neck and face...

different tactics are used depending if the blade wielder uses it with the blade up or with the blade against the forearm....

attackers with the blade up are less threatening, but they still pose a very serious threat if the defender cannot redirect or take the knife away using a series of locks...

attackers with the blade against the forearm know how to use the blade and you must be more protective of your centerline and neck...lunges are by far the easiest way to take the knife away, but when the attacker uses the blade along their forarm it becomes more of a precision job to disable the attacks...

as far as safer disarmament, the defenders forearms are best redirecting lunges or steping in on an overhead thrust to take the attackers advantage away....

and multiple attackers are always taught in Hung Fa Yi...it just makes things easier when there is only 1...

but in reality the most anyone can fight at one time is only 2... especially if they are using weapons...

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-04 00:31:02

At 7/3/06 11:13 AM, Monocrom wrote: To: Theban-

DSM still has an excellent chance of winning....... The problem with learning mostly killer-moves is the fact that it's a bit tough to use those moves during sparring.

Yeah I know, but killing moves can be adapted so as not to cause serious harm. I'm not saying you won't win dsm, I'm just saying that you might (and I really mean 'might' because I don't know for sure myself) be a little surprised.

At 7/3/06 10:39 PM, Monocrom wrote: Here are my questions:

It's not really discussed in a seminar style setting, none of it is. So each of us instructors teaches different ways and slightly different things. Even without this being discussed the most common attack portrayed by in techniques is a knife stab to the stomach area. There are also other techniques against someone swinging a knife downward and accross. There are even defences against a knife to the back.

I was never taught the most likely places for a knife fighter to go for (<so if you could put that into the appropriate question form I will be sure to pass your wisdom onto my students).

Yes, but initially against a downward club swing, it's not specifically used against a knife too often (if ever, hmmm, I can't remember, it's getting late).

Yes, but not with weapons.

In all honesty real life weapon defences aren't emphesized a great deal, they are discussed and we have many techniques against them but they have no special catagorization. They are mixed in with all the rest of the techniques.

This is a topic that I have become very interested in, I'm not too sure my instructor is exactly an expert on weapons. So consider this the start of a new topic, I want to learn everything I can about weapons. (I do realize though that this will be limited due to the fact that were comunicating over the internet.)

Now some questions for you :)
What are the most common tell-tale signs of an experienced knife fighter? (I know about the one where he is holding the blade facing upward.)

What are the most common attacks and what are the most effective ways of dealing with these?

----------------

Question for everyone:

In you oppinion, based on whatever knowledge you have, how likely are you to be attacked with a knife over any other kind of attack (in % if you don't mind :). And discuss why :)

I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. I just thought you all should know :)

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-04 00:44:07

the thing about marines is that though their training is not world class (though decent) they're tough as shit. usually big guys who aren't exactly slow. my art of choice, systema, was originally taught to the russian military and the KGB, and in my slightly biased eyes is far superior to american military training. systema was (because after all my version is watered down to be legal in america) taught to the elite soldiers qualified for service in the kgb, and those who showed exceptional skills in all range of combat. until it leaked out to some of the public that is. it is so much more effective, brutal and tested than american military training.

about the other forum: it seems that newer members are all for it, and older ones generally against or indifferent to it. not 100% true, but my subconcious tells me things that make half sense. i am both for and against it. it can have more specialized topics, but on the other hand that could detract form the forum here. you may think that you will be active both there and here, but once you find a fovorite you'll probably drop the other (by "you" i mean whoever's reading this, not any specific member)

sorry i overreacted in my big long rant post last page (or two, i dont remember), i was tired as shit, and only acted to fuel whatever arguments (which weren't all that bad in the first place, faces just overreacted) on. sorry about that, like i said, i hadn't slept in like 2 days.

and holy shit you guys love to post nowadays. i remember when it was a post or two a day at most, now i have to spend a half an hour reading every night. but it's a good thing in the end, just means more for me.

NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...

MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...

Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-04 00:45:24

Fox? Yeah, i had my fight, and i won.

Let's see what advice i followed and which i didn't.

At 7/2/06 12:33 PM, R3dF0x wrote: What kind of tournament...like a full contact or sparring tournament?

Full contact, and it's going to have so many different styles in it, i'll have a hard time keeping up different strategies.

NOW FOR THE ADVICE :
The wrestler is no problem, the second he goes for my legs, which i KNOW he'll do, i'll just knock my knee in his face hard and he's out.
not to be rude, but you sound like an unexperience fighter...

sorry for misleading you, ask Faces, if he remembers, i'm a VERY experienced fighter...just not against Wrestlers is all.

my reasons for suggesting that...

1) Chances are he will be at your legs before you can even lift your knee...

Well, he dove at me 5 feet ahead of me, which gave me plenty of time to land a big one right in his face, though that didn't knock him out, it did take him out of the fight for a minute.

2) Wrong time frame to be using your legs...he wants them...

true, and if he thinks i'm giving him what he wants, his defences are lower, agreed?

3) As a wrestler he's trained for such events to happen...

Well obviously not, since he didn't defend against it too well.

MY ADVICE ON THE WRESTLER :

1) Wrestlers are quick...you must take him out of his element...he's a ground fighter, but do not unerestimate them like you already have...

I completely ignored that...moving on...

2) Your best bet is to play down at his level if he dives for your legs...use REDIRECTION with him and us his own momentum to take him to the ground...if you do not have much ground experience keep redirecting him...he will tire out...wresting takes a lot of energy to explode constantly to dive for your legs...

So, what you're saying is i should have just kept doding him till he got tired, well
instead i just kept thwacking him in the face, which worked just as well.

3) Do not try to knee him in the face if he dives for your legs...9/10 times he will get your legs and chances are he will be there before you can even lift your knee anyway...
The Kickboxer, however, i'm going to have a problem with, he's been training for 5 years and he's my age. What's the biggest thing to lok out for when fighting a kick boxer?
I think you have better chances fighting the Kick Boxer than the Wrestler...Jeet Kun Do is a stand up art and so is Kick Boxing...you both are playing relatively the same game just different styles...

so? understand something, a Grand Master has more chance losing to a complete idiot wildly swinging away at him than another grand master of the same art. The fact that we're both using stand-up styles, but only a bit different, means that our fight will last far longer, and tire us bnoth out more.

MY ADVICE ON THE KICK BOXER

1) You must be concious of time and space...be aware of his legs...be aware of his reach...can he hit you with his front leg...can he hit you with his back leg...

kept that in mind the WHOLE fight.

2) Watch for his back leg...it will have a greater distance to travel, but also it has a greater reach...if you are concious of time and space you will see it coming way before he can bring it around...( if he decides to kick with his back leg...kick him in his hip that he's kicking with...it will totally dissapate any energy he's using in the kick as well as the kick )

I actually blocked his first kick with my forearm, and that hurt like a motherfucker, so i knew not to do that again. After that initial kick however, i took this advice and he gave up on just kicking at me the whole match.

3) Hands are only as fast as the elbows...Kick Boxers use a lot of knock out punches...which makes their elbows slow...take out his elbows with some Pak Saus and it will open him up for to be attacked...

He used a lot of Haymakers on me, which i blocked by slamming my fist in a circuler motion into the inside of his elbow. This made his punches useless, as long as i either dodged or kept blocking this way.

4) Kick Boxers often leave their centerline open...studying Jeet Kun Do you should be able to know how to penetrate defenses and attack the center line...

When an opponent becomes off-balanced, even for just a second, before i do, i've already won. I slammed my right elbow inot his chest and blew him backwards when he missed a kick and nearly fell over.

...was that helpful?

sort of, i might have lost if i hadn't read that last bit about what he leaves open.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-04 01:17:26

At 7/4/06 12:45 AM, BigLundi wrote:

first of all, good work on your victory...you proved to be the more experienced fighter of the matches...

my reasons for suggesting that...
Well, he dove at me 5 feet ahead of me, which gave me plenty of time to land a big one right in his face, though that didn't knock him out, it did take him out of the fight for a minute.

Lucky for you he's not an experienced leg shooter, cause I've faced wrestlers whom if I didn't have my Weng Chun grappeling experience I would have been on my ass fast...

So, what you're saying is i should have just kept doding him till he got tired,

not necissarily...it takes a lot of energy to dive a lot...especially if they are good at it cause it's quick and explosive...they cant do too many of them...especially if you keep redirecting them they get tired fast...it's up to you to decide when to press for attack or keep defending...

so? understand something, a Grand Master has more chance losing to a complete idiot wildly swinging away at him than another grand master of the same art. The fact that we're both using stand-up styles, but only a bit different, means that our fight will last far longer, and tire us bnoth out more.

I've seen it happen before...A Karate Master got choked out by person with little experience...and it would depend on the skill of the practitioner...

but martial artists are more tactical and pick and choose their defense or attacks(usually) but against a brawler it would depend on the martial artist, but I would put money on the brawler...

I actually blocked his first kick with my forearm, and that hurt like a motherfucker, so i knew not to do that again. After that initial kick however, i took this advice and he gave up on just kicking at me the whole match.

glad to hear that helpd...blocking to me is such a waste of energy and you could get hurt...I prefer redirction or dissapation of energy by countering with a "recive what comes in, send off what goes" philosophy...

He used a lot of Haymakers on me, which i blocked by slamming my fist in a circuler motion into the inside of his elbow. This made his punches useless, as long as i either dodged or kept blocking this way.

that doesn't sound like a Pak Sau to me...Im not even sure that is a Wing Chun technique what you used...doesn't sound familar...o.O? but it apparently proved useful to you...

When an opponent becomes off-balanced, even for just a second, before i do, i've already won.

this is the reason I fight by touch...being a Jeek Kun Do person you should know what Chi Sau is...this would be a direct application to your Chi Sau skills by being able to feel an opponents center of gravity through contact...

Not only do I use my arms to feel for this...but even use the legs...a little more difficult...but just as useful...

sort of, i might have lost if i hadn't read that last bit about what he leaves open.

well your main focus in any fight should be the opponents centerline...it's where all the vitals are...

again, glad to hear of your victory...

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-04 01:17:49

Hey everyone! Sorry about the quoting and not posting very soon (I was away!). I believe that if you study pressure points that fights can be very easy. I learned this at the TKD sparring tournament when I did a nice out-in (bend you led toward the outside of the combatent, and "shoot" your foot out while moving it towards your attacker, and downwards...can be very fast and effective!) and was aiming not for the head gear but for a pressure point on his right near the colar (sp?) bone. I hit it with heavy force and resulted in his arm being rendered useless temporally (sp?) for a couple min. When it was over I showed him how to recover from a hit like that (it's hard to recover while fighting so I showed him out to do it while resting). He wondered how I did that and all I said was pressure points ^_^ This happend a few months ago. If used the right way, pressure points can heal, hurt, or kill. Becareful if you are to study them!

Btw you can call me by many names. In a list:

Steven (real name)
Ninja (a general nickname for me anywhere)
Shadowist (or Shadow)
King Of Noobs (mainly if you know me from gaming on Steam)
or Nightmare (for those I play with on SoF2)

You guys pick ^_^ I answer to all of them (mostly to Ninja though O_o) and sorry for the semi-long post!

Ninja!

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-04 03:30:45

ninja said:
:sorry for the semi-long post!

Ninja!

don't apologize for long posts, just look around here, we're full of em.

and the pressure points can help a bit in a fight, but dependence on them is a very bad thing.

NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...

MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...

Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-04 05:17:08

im only a 1st level sui nim tao. im studying Wing Chun which has been described as the definitive martial art. Si Fu (my teacher) says that karatie has no practical use in the real world so im planning to take up Xiolin long arm/fist.

Martial Arts Club

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-04 13:05:20

At 7/4/06 05:17 AM, ever-vigilant wrote: im only a 1st level sui nim tao. im studying Wing Chun which has been described as the definitive martial art. Si Fu (my teacher) says that karatie has no practical use in the real world so im planning to take up Xiolin long arm/fist.

Nice another Wing Chun person... we'll have plenty to talk about...I could probably help you out and give helpful advice and ways of thinking to advance your training...

You will find that a lot of Wing Chun practitioners see the Harder Styles of Martial Arts not practicle because it just doesn't make any sense to them...mainly cause blocking just is rediculous from a Wing Chun point of view...and there's a few other stuff too...but I feel if you like it...do it...

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-04 15:49:24

To: Theban -

Glad to hear your Art teaches knife defenses aimed at the back. But the fact that the best targets are not discussed has me concerned. You are correct about the most COMMON knife attack. Several stabs in a row to the stomach area can happen in the blink of an eye. An experienced knifer will bend his wrist as he's stabbing you, to go up underneath the rib-cage to reach the organs it normally protects.

Here are the most likely places a knifer will go for: The chest, stomach, neck & throat, groin (not for the reason you think), in between the shoulder blades (knife held in an ice-pick grip)........ Rear targets would include: the kidneys, the soft area just underneath the base of the skull, and the upper-back.

Form of a question?.......... "If you were going to attack someone with a 4" knife, which parts on the human body would you target?"

Your students should list those above targets. The upper-back will probably be the most common answer, but it's really not the best one. The face will also be a common one, but poking out an eyeball is rare. A slash to the face may look horrific, but massive blood loss in that area takes quite a bit of time. Not really a choice spot. The other areas are much better.

**Now ask them: "If you only had a 1" blade, which spot would you go for?" (I'll PM you the answer. Everything else I've mentioned and will mention is done to help out Defenders. All of this info is common knowledge among knifers or anyone studying human anatomy. But the 1" blade question is obscure, so I won't reveal it here).

The X-block was originally designed to defend against an overhead chop or slash with a sword. It requires getting in close, and works well. The lack of a cutting edge on a club would also cause it to work well. But it's a poor technique against knives. An overhead slash means the knifer just has to pull back his elbow a bit, as he cuts down into your forearms. An ice-pick grip (edge in) means he can just pull his arm down to cut open one of your forearms.

Teaching defenses against multiple attackers is good, but no defenses against ARMED, multiple attackers? I find that troubling. If you get attacked by someone, chances are they'll either pull out a weapon or use something close-by as a weapon.

Sorry to tell you this, but it's a common misconception that you can tell if a knifer is experienced by the way he holds his knife. Not true at all. There is a Knife Combatives instructor who's classes are gaining in popularity. He teaches how to use a folding knife like a claw....... basically, ice-pick grip with the edge IN. (A couple of decades ago, this grip was considered to be an instant way to identify an inexperienced knifer). If someone has several short, straight scars on one forearm, that usually means an experienced knifer. But there's really no other way to tell. It could be the guy in the business suit driving a Corvette, or it doesn't even have to be a guy. Women can be just as vicious as guys, sometimes more so because you're not expecting a woman to be a knifer.

Most knifers will rarely attack from the front. Some will come in from the back, or at oblique angles, since no one really expects an attack from those angles. At those angles, they'll usually go for one of your kidneys. Over-hand attacks are rare. The knife will be palmed (placed in the hand in such a way so that you won't see it, even if directly looking at the hand. If you can't see a person's palm AND all 5 extended finger-tips, a knife could easily be concealed). He may try to verbally distract you, or say nothing at all. Most folks feel the knife, before they see it...... if they see it!

Knifers prefer a lot of personal space. (Some will confront you if you get within a couple of feet of them). You need to have the same mentality. Some stranger tries to come too close to you, call them on it! "Hey, what do you want!" If they keep walking towards you without saying anything, that's a HUGE warning sign! Don't let them close the distance. That's the most effective way of dealing withy a knifer. If you let him close the distance, things will go from bad to horrendous; in the blink of an eye! It's amazing how many folks underestimate the speed with which a knifer can attack. (One of the dumbest things I heard was, "How could O.J. stab 2 people at almost the same time?" ANSWER: Very easily)! Knifers, when out & about, will tend to sit with their backs against a wall. Anyone trying to confront them has to approach from the front. A very good tactic to use yourself.

Regarding your last question: I'd say 80% of the time, if you get attacked and the attacker pulls out a weapon. But it's not just knives. Not all knifers use knives. Screwdrivers (long shaft models) are the second most common type of tool a knifer will use. Some prefer screwdrivers because they make excellent stabbing implaments, and can be used to break into change-machines; but are street-legal. Large scissors can also be used. Take out the screw that holds a pair of scissors together, now you have 2 weapons with the added bonus of being able to use the cutting edge........ All of these are items that are classified as edged weapons. Taken together, that's how I got the percentage. (Guns are also popular, but knives are far more common, they never jam, never need to be reloaded, there's no ballistic evidence left behind, and they are silent. [A gunshot is more likely to get someone's attention, compared to a person screaming outside]).

No defenses to the back or oblique angles are taught?

When it comes to using locks, watch out for a knifer rotating his wrist to cut you. Another common defense to locks is, swiching the knife to the other hand. Now you've got the wrong arm/hand locked up. If you don't let go of him quickly enough, he's likely to stab you.

Yes, lunges are by far the easiest way to take a knife away......... That's why experienced knifers won't lunge at you! They will get as close as possible, kissing range, before attacking. The over-head attack, very common in a lot of martial arts schools, very UNcommon in real life.

You're right about the last part. It's always better to run away, if you can, than fight multiple attackers or even 1 attacker.

Wing Chun is an excellent Art....... but the definitive art?

Your teacher is honest. But a bit too quick to dismiss an Art.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-04 15:59:44

At 7/4/06 03:49 PM, Monocrom wrote:
To: f0x -

No defenses to the back or oblique angles are taught?

course they are tought...

When it comes to using locks, watch out for a knifer rotating his wrist to cut you. Another common defense to locks is, swiching the knife to the other hand. Now you've got the wrong arm/hand locked up. If you don't let go of him quickly enough, he's likely to stab you.

in a fight against a knife, surely you would prefer to not get cut or nicked...but be realistic...cuts may and probably will occure...but they will not be vital...which is why I prefer redirection at first becaue it opens the attacker up to so you can attack...there certainly is not much you can do to prevent the attacker form bending their wrist...so you may have to accept a cut, but it will not be fatat if it's on your arm...

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-04 16:25:46

At 7/4/06 03:59 PM, R3dF0x wrote:
in a fight against a knife, surely you would prefer to not get cut or nicked...but be realistic...cuts may and probably will occure...but they will not be vital...which is why I prefer redirection at first becaue it opens the attacker up to so you can attack...there certainly is not much you can do to prevent the attacker form bending their wrist...so you may have to accept a cut, but it will not be fatat if it's on your arm...

When close, cuts will definitely occur. I too prefer redirection. If you grab high-up on the arm, including the wrist, you can prevent wrist rotation. Use both hands, then deliver knee strikes to the knifer's abdoman. But the first part of the technique, grabbing high-up is the hardest part to pull off...... especially during Summer time, when his arm is covered in sweat. Your right about the arm part. Knifers have been known to taqke a cut on their arm as well....... to get a chance to give a more serious cut of their own.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-04 16:41:13

knife fighting in ninjutsu doesnt vary very much from unarmed fighting. we just have to get control of the knife arm, through evading and some distraction, the usual stuff to get their focus off of what their arm is doing. its hard to explain this way, I'd have to show you what i mean, but its pretty much stay away from the sharp edge and take control.
same thing with multiple attackers.. our general style doesnt change, we just try to keep all attackers in view, so we can react accordingly. like fox, we use their momentum agaisnt them, if one comes in, we try to take control of him quickly (a good ninja can take control on the first attack in), then use him as a shield from his buddies, holding him between us or throwing/pushing him at them.

just for clarification, when i say take control, i mean attack comes in, we'll dodge or evade it with as little of movement possible, then try and catch or pin their arm (not hand, we usually hold onto it) and using distractions and stuff (one of my favorite things to do and is roll their elbow up to their face with my arm not holding onto theirs) to take their balance, and then keep moving so they cant take their balance back. or whatever..
and this stuff works just in case it sounds like it doesnt (for some reason i dont think it sounds like the best stuff), my instructer makes it point that we shouldnt just give the practicer the technique, but we shouldnt try and counter it.. an attacker wont know what we're doing like the people in the class know. we've had people with heat seeker punches who punch where we gonna go for the technique instead of where we are at.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-04 16:54:46

To: Ts -

Any techniques with regards to multiple attackers coming at you, at the same time?

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-04 22:17:19

Sorry I was gone guys....vacation....

ANyways, in regard to knife fighting, at my Kenpo school we learn 5 techniques: 1) Poking (stomach) 2) holding it up to the throat 3) Holding it up to the throat from behind 4) upward slash 5) overhead knife. ...thats about it...

NGMAC

NG Naruto RP Crew

PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-04 23:59:19

At 7/4/06 04:54 PM, Monocrom wrote: To: Ts -

Any techniques with regards to multiple attackers coming at you, at the same time?

Know this isnt for me but i would either
A)try to run away
B) Grab the longest thing near me and start swinging.
C) Try to get behind one of them using a hold and putting that ones knife up to their throat.

This is how I kick your ass in real life. Martial Arts Club

And this is how I kick your ass in video games Super Smash Bros. Club

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-05 00:14:42

At 7/4/06 03:49 PM, Monocrom wrote: But the fact that the best targets are not discussed has me concerned.

That's why I'm asking, so that I can offer students additional knowledge on the topic :)

Teaching defenses against multiple attackers is good, but no defenses against ARMED, multiple attackers? I find that troubling. If you get attacked by someone, chances are they'll either pull out a weapon or use something close-by as a weapon.

In my arts defence here, we have 600 techniques and official variations, plus several more unofficial variations. Remember how when I first joined we talked about how in my art concepts are learned through techniques? The concepts learned in multiple attacker techniques and in weapon defence techniques can be combined, but I do think that this type of attack should be addressed more specifically, and perhaps it will be later on.

Sorry to tell you this, but it's a common misconception that you can tell if a knifer is experienced by the way he holds his knife. Not true at all.

So basically what your saying is that you should treat every attacker as if they are an experienced knife fighter?

Thank you for your very thorough post :) You can be sure that I will read it through a couple times more to make sure I didn't miss anything. Oh and thanks for the PM, I can see why you didn't post that.

I don't know if you have better things to do than answer question after question from me, so don't worry about it, just keep in mind that I am out to learn as much as I can about this topic. Any pieces of information, no matter how small even randomly included in your posts as you think of it will not go unread (I read every single post).

Okay, a couple more quick questions:

We have a few techniques against downward knife swings. A couple of them work like this:
(Assuming the attacker swings and steps with his right.) Left leg steps toward your attacker as you guide his arm with both your hands into his leg. Now of course the conditions for this to work are rather specific but I just want you to give me your concerns about it?

If I had a second to prepare for a fight against an attacker with a knife, the first thing I would do is take of my belt for a weapon provided that a better weapon isn't laying around somewhere within easy reach. Your oppinions please?

Fremen:
Geez, you gotta tell us these things, I thought you were banned or had left or something. Oh well, welcome back :)

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-05 00:47:38

SATAN IS BACK BITCH!!!

So long story short, I spilt a bottle of Yoohoo on my lap top and fried the wiring for my keyboard so it typed like this- akhflkasdhflasd, instead of typing the 'a' that I had hit. So I now have a wireless kb with spill proof technology and a new rule for using my computer which involves me slaughtering all humanity within a 5 mile radius in any direction if I find one drop of liquid near my Dell. But on the plus side...my comp now smells like sweet and chocolately goodness..but that can also be a bad thing because its making me hungry.

Damn I havent been on here in so long I was starting to get NewGround withdrawls. Missed you guys a ton and Im hoping to get to know all of the new guys. Very happy to see we have some new regulars. Im hoping somebody fills me in on whats been going on, work is absolute hell right now because my computer has been down for so long and right now I have no time to read up on the past 5 pages so please fill me in on the latest topics and recent flames. XD

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-05 01:11:32

At 7/4/06 04:54 PM, Monocrom wrote: To: Ts -

if there are i havent been taught them yet. we havent completely ignored it though, sometimes my instructer will have us do things with several people going after us. one of my fav. lessons this year has been when we had 3 people grab onto our arms at once, in whatever pattern, (just to hold us down) and the little technique we've been doing to get out of a single wrist grab worked agaisnt the three people. its just pulling back and down, and then push forward while moving a wrist like a circle.. with more people they just tumble into each other, it was pretty funny day.
thats not all we've done though, but the styles dont espcially differ between a single and multiple opponents. get the first guys balance and try to knock him into the second guy, pretty much.

which reminds me.. it turns out my instructer found out about me here, saw my posts way back when were i said his name and he saw that post. i dont know if he just found the club and is reading all the pages, oro if he was just browzing through, but looks like he found us on his own. i wonder if he'll ever get this far in reading the posts? or if he'll join? he'll be able to do a much better job of explaining things then me...

its about time you got back satan.. we got a new Sarah in here who does Aikido...
and ya. we're (while fox and I) are trying to bring the old forums (or new ones) to life.
and thats about it really...did you miss us?

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-05 03:16:42

Hell yeah i missed you guys!! This is the only socialization I actually enjoy, because I dont have to put up with actual people. I fucking hate people. And you guys talk straight martial arts. My favorite topic.

I heard that Monocrom and -theFaces got into a huge arguement over something stupid and Nolan left for good? What the hell is that all about?! Fill me in on the NG MA gossip! Let me know what forums you're trying to revive and I'll post in them. Hopefully I'm back for good. And we have one Sara that does Hapkido (me obviously) and a new one that does Aikido?! Thats kinda weird. But its cool that we have another chick on this forum. It needs another female perspective.

On a personal note...I quit the XMA Karate shit that I was doing (No offense to the other Karate or XMA club members) and I got back into my love of brutal violence. HAPKIDO FTW!!! I'm extremely happy at the new dojang that i signed on with a few weeks ago. I felt that spark that I havent had for a long time come flying back into me as I was thrown into the floor by my instructor. That was the hardest I have ever been thrown and I still feel it, and its been about 3 weeks. The instructor is only a 2nd dan, which makes him an equal rank, but this guy is so more advanced in his system than I am. Hapkido is Hapkido no matter how you look at it but there are different ways the techniques can be executed. His style is sooo much more controled, which makes everythig hit so much harder. He is also much more organized. He has 12 basic techniques and as you advance you can put them together and add more to them. Whereas my system has 1300 something techniques you have to know for 1st dan. Its a lot to memorize and perform in one test. So Im in love with the new system. Thats pretty much everything thats new with me. What about you guys?

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-05 07:58:27

Nice another Wing Chun person... we'll have plenty to talk about...I could probably help you out and give helpful advice and ways of thinking to advance your training...

too...but I feel if you like it...do it...

hey im told that my teacher pisses of others as he teaches techniques that he isnt supposed to. when he goes to china or london he has to fight for the right to teach. he claims to be well known. have you or whomever teaches you heard of him? he is really called mark hobbs but i have to call him si fu. oh and what level are you out of intrest.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-05 11:29:46

At 7/5/06 07:58 AM, ever-vigilant wrote:
hey im told that my teacher pisses of others as he teaches techniques that he isnt supposed to. when he goes to china or london he has to fight for the right to teach. he claims to be well known. have you or whomever teaches you heard of him? he is really called mark hobbs but i have to call him si fu. oh and what level are you out of intrest.

mmm...well in China things are more traditional...Chinese arts are only taught to Chinese...it's racism, but what can you do...

Never heard of him...if he has to claim to be well known...then he's probably not...

what sort of things is he teaching that he's not supposed to? that interests me cause it sounds trumped up a bit...

also, what sort of things are you learning at the Sui Nim Tao level, and do you know the difference between Siu Lim Tao and Siu Nim Tao?

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-05 13:24:47

dude
i love martial arts
but have no idea where to get lessons if you live around wolverhampton please tell me a good place to learn martial arts
thanks

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-07-05 14:15:14

At 7/5/06 01:24 PM, thedarkeye wrote: dude
i love martial arts
but have no idea where to get lessons if you live around wolverhampton please tell me a good place to learn martial arts
thanks

I think you live close to me....I live really close to Worcester Mass. You live in New Hampshire right?

NGMAC

NG Naruto RP Crew

PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature