00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

edbyrd just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

AIM 2020 Discussions Thread

7,369 Views | 138 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-04-17 03:33:03

Welcome to AIM 2020's official discussions thread. Here, you can ask questions regarding the contest or discuss anything you want, really. The only thing that you shouldn't be posting here is your submissions. Any entry you want to submit and be officially counted for should go into the submissions thread. Should be obvious enough, eh?

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-04-17 03:42:41

Woo, just in time for my annual uploads

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-04-17 09:28:58

Ayyy good luck on everyone's submissions this year! i'll be looking forward to hear as much as I can hehe

Putting the "pro" in procrastination since 2000.

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-04-17 10:08:27

Expect two entries from me

| Multi-Genre Composer, Main Preferences Are Atmosphere Crafting & Technical Detailing/Palettes | Audio Portal Moderator |

| FREE Audio Resources List For Composers | NG Audio Pub Discord | NG Audio Iceberg Challenge | Follow These Legends! |

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-04-17 16:00:41

At 4/17/20 03:33 AM, Random-storykeeper wrote: Welcome to AIM 2020's official discussions thread. Here, you can ask questions regarding the contest or discuss anything you want, really. The only thing that you shouldn't be posting here is your submissions. Any entry you want to submit and be officially counted for should go into the submissions thread. Should be obvious enough, eh?

I have a couple of questions actually:

1) Should ALL the rules for this contest be respected, or you can for example neglect one at some cases (like the scouting part, because I'm not scouted yet)? If that's the case, then I'll keep trying and waiting until I am scouted.

2) Does automated white noise count as a soundscape ?

BBS Signature

At 4/17/20 04:00 PM, OuchlifMohammadNabil wrote:
At 4/17/20 03:33 AM, Random-storykeeper wrote: Welcome to AIM 2020's official discussions thread. Here, you can ask questions regarding the contest or discuss anything you want, really. The only thing that you shouldn't be posting here is your submissions. Any entry you want to submit and be officially counted for should go into the submissions thread. Should be obvious enough, eh?
I have a couple of questions actually:
1) Should ALL the rules for this contest be respected, or you can for example neglect one at some cases (like the scouting part, because I'm not scouted yet)? If that's the case, then I'll keep trying and waiting until I am scouted.

Yes, all the rules need to be respected. Including the need to be scouted.

Extenuating circumstances might grant some wiggle room, but the rules themselves are broad enough.

2) Does automated white noise count as a soundscape ?

Depends. Are you melding it with a melodic, structural piece, or is it the meat of your piece? If it's the former, no; if it's the latter, then without hearing your piece my answer would lean towards yes.

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-04-18 08:25:36

Is I must be scouted on ART portal or MUSIC portal?

As I know this is musicial contest and there is not many people are scouted on art portal.

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-04-18 16:31:58

At 4/18/20 08:25 AM, Pecheneg wrote: Is I must be scouted on ART portal or MUSIC portal?
As I know this is musicial contest and there is not many people are scouted on art portal.

Music.

SoundCloud | Discord: Wojo#0001 |

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-04-18 17:57:31

At 4/18/20 08:25 AM, Pecheneg wrote: Is I must be scouted on ART portal or MUSIC portal?

Music. Even unscouted art can class as inspiration if the person has too few pieces to be scouted for example, but for music, we don't have the four-piece rule for being scouted, so heavy emphasis on yes, contestants doing the music must be scouted in the audio portal.

At 4/18/20 04:31 PM, FaunSound wrote:
Music.

How can I know Is am I scouted on music, I mean I never saw music scouting.

Just cheked my profile. No music scouts(I guess music scouts do not exists).

I cheked your profile too and don't find music scouts.

@Troisnyx so I'm scouted(on art portal) but I do suck a lot at music so I still can join, right?

But I have people to reccomend them to join contest(IMHO 3-4 times better than me) but they are not scouted in art portal, so they can't join, right?

I apologize for boring, I do not want to disappoint people.

UPD, sorry, I guess I just first time realised that all artists I saw before was scouted.

So now I see that In the right corner I can see unscouted artists.

How do I become scouted?

I have a SoundCloud Account made 2 years ago if that helps I guess (?)

If this is for anti-fraud purposes I could share my .flp file for proof

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-04-18 23:33:28

At 4/18/20 09:06 PM, Pecheneg wrote:
At 4/18/20 04:31 PM, FaunSound wrote:
Music.
How can I know Is am I scouted on music, I mean I never saw music scouting.
Just cheked my profile. No music scouts(I guess music scouts do not exists).
I cheked your profile too and don't find music scouts.
@Troisnyx so I'm scouted(on art portal) but I do suck a lot at music so I still can join, right?
But I have people to reccomend them to join contest(IMHO 3-4 times better than me) but they are not scouted in art portal, so they can't join, right?
I apologize for boring, I do not want to disappoint people.

Your scout status doesn't show up on your profile. It will show up on an audio page for audio that you've submitted. If you don't see something in the top left of a profile that says, "[This user] has not been scouted. Scout this user for the Audio Portal?" I'm not seeing that on any of the audio tracks you've made, so you can still join.

The scouting status doesn't apply to the art you've selected. Only the composer has to be a scouted artist. Artist in context of the rules means a music artist.

If you're recommending other composers to participate, have them upload a few tracks of theirs to the audio portal. You could try promoting your tracks in the Review for Review thread; I personally did this in the past and that was how I got scouted. It's generally not too difficult so long as you're not violating any of the Newgrounds Audio Guidelines.

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-04-18 23:36:19

At 4/18/20 10:00 PM, NoodleSushi wrote: How do I become scouted?
I have a SoundCloud Account made 2 years ago if that helps I guess (?)

If this is for anti-fraud purposes I could share my .flp file for proof

Upload some of your audio works to Newgrounds. When a scouted artist sees the audio page, they'll see a notice that says you haven't been scouted for the Audio Portal yet. Another scouted composer has to be the one scouting you. Here's the Newgrounds FAQ; scroll down to the Audio Portal section for more information about scouting.

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-04-19 09:17:01

if I find an artpiece from a user that has not been active since 2010, could I still use it or do I need to have the artist give me their approval?

I found a really neat one and had an idea on what I wanted to do but I'm curious as to if I have to ask the artist for permission or something.

At 4/19/20 09:17 AM, OmegaT wrote: if I find an artpiece from a user that has not been active since 2010, could I still use it or do I need to have the artist give me their approval?

I found a really neat one and had an idea on what I wanted to do but I'm curious as to if I have to ask the artist for permission or something.

You don't have to get the artist's approval, but as a courtesy, I would suggest messaging them to let them know that their work inspired you to make music. If they've been inactive and don't reply, you can still "use" their artwork as inspiration. You should credit the artist and link the artwork you were inspired by in the description of your audio work. Some users will also use the Credits system on Newgrounds to credit the artist for inspiration.

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-04-22 01:58:56

Can I use art that has already been used for an existing track/album art cover? (like this one for example)

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-04-22 07:13:04

If after the contest is finished (after june) I include the song/s I make for the contest into an EP on spotify, is that wrong? I mean do I have to keep it here or can I "publish" it somewhere else after the contest is done?

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-04-22 09:26:52

At 4/22/20 07:13 AM, OmegaT wrote: If after the contest is finished (after june) I include the song/s I make for the contest into an EP on spotify, is that wrong? I mean do I have to keep it here or can I "publish" it somewhere else after the contest is done?

You should be able to publish it elsewhere after the contest is done. A number of others have done it for other contests, particularly @Syamori for the NGADM.

Just bear in mind that if you figure either among the winners or the honourable mentions, it's likely that your track, like the rest of the album, will be made available for free as part of the yearly AIM compilation of winners and honourables. Bear that in mind when you are planning to release your album.

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-04-22 09:27:45

At 4/22/20 01:58 AM, NoodleSushi wrote: Can I use art that has already been used for an existing track/album art cover? (like this one for example)

I might argue, with the permission of both artist and musician (for it may have been done under an exclusive contract.) Always ask.

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-04-23 20:50:27

Two-ish questions:

-Can I cover/re-interpret an existing piece in the audio portal? Is that the point of this contest?

-Can I incorporate small sound bytes if my the art I choose to be inspired by is not music? Related to that, is the art I choose to be only from the audio portal or just anything from Newgrounds? I read a previous question that was somewhat similar to my latter question but I just want to make sure.

It's yo boy

BBS Signature

At 4/23/20 08:50 PM, djt820 wrote: Two-ish questions:
-Can I cover/re-interpret an existing piece in the audio portal? Is that the point of this contest?
-Can I incorporate small sound bytes if my the art I choose to be inspired by is not music? Related to that, is the art I choose to be only from the audio portal or just anything from Newgrounds? I read a previous question that was somewhat similar to my latter question but I just want to make sure.

"Art", in context of "AIM", refers to works in the Newgrounds Art Portal. The point of this compo is to be inspired, musically, by a piece from the Newgrounds Art Portal only. While it could be interesting to reinterpret audio or movies, that is out of grounds for this particular contest.

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-04-25 10:56:17

Picked the two artpieces I want to work with, DM'd both artists just to ask for special permission to use them for both the influence and also as artwork in the audio visualisers for Youtube uploads.

Templates for both projects at the ready, eager to get started from tomorrow onwards!

| Multi-Genre Composer, Main Preferences Are Atmosphere Crafting & Technical Detailing/Palettes | Audio Portal Moderator |

| FREE Audio Resources List For Composers | NG Audio Pub Discord | NG Audio Iceberg Challenge | Follow These Legends! |

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-04-26 01:15:34

Hello!

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-04-26 04:49:47

At 4/26/20 01:15 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Hello!

a wild interviewer has appeared 👀

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-04-26 06:11:36

At 4/26/20 01:15 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Hello!

'Sup.

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-04-30 08:27:46

Didn't participate last year as I was a judge, but I plan on giving it my all this year :D

Just a random idiot

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-05-01 12:10:19

Am I allowed pick a piece that depicts an original character? I mean, it's not fan art.

I'm thinking of composing a theme song for these characters.

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-05-01 12:30:26

At 5/1/20 12:10 PM, CzySzy wrote: Am I allowed pick a piece that depicts an original character? I mean, it's not fan art.
I'm thinking of composing a theme song for these characters.
//www.newgrounds.com/art/view/mrohyee/karolyn-and-her-parents

You should be able to, yes. The same was done last year and the entry in question got in honourable mentions.

Response to AIM 2020 Discussions Thread 2020-05-01 18:09:19

If I plan on doing two submissions, do they have to be posted at the same time or can I post them one at a time, separately?