00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Voting & Review Overhaul is a go!

30,687 Views | 166 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 21:57:09

Very cool! Really digging the ability to go back and re-do some of my terrible reviews from when I was 13. Also really cool to see the compromise with the stars and the character artwork, Steve is looking fantastic.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 21:57:25

At 9/20/18 07:13 PM, Lambtaco wrote: Finally, awesome. Most of my submissions jumped all over the place. Some of the more obscure ones are 5/5. Seems not all existing reviews have been turned into votes though. I have one submission with only one vote, but four pages of reviews.

Will be looking into this tomorrow but I think it's a matter of the score total updating once a new vote is cast.

And are we ever going to do something about people using the reviews as a comment section? I don't really know how to fix it, considering how standard Youtube style comments have become it's sort of expected, but it's annoying to get reviews that just say, "cool". I like to respond to every review eventually, but there's nothing much to say half the time, and these comment-like reviews crowd out the legit good ones.

We're still trying to encourage more constructive reviews, although I don't really want any sort of positive response to be punished. Ideally people will emulate the good examples and gun for lots of reactions.

This probably isn't feasible, but seeing a record of everything you ever voted on (well, since 2015) would be cool.

It already exists as a link on your Account Settings page!

https://www.newgrounds.com/account/activity/voting

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 21:58:03

At 9/20/18 07:30 PM, Bienenstock wrote: Does vote power still scale with experience and are there still secrets unlocked with one's increased level?

Yes and yes. We do need to make some new secrets one of these days.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 22:01:46

At 9/20/18 07:56 PM, DrMackFoxx wrote: Quite a useful update. The ability to completely wipe out one's review log may appeal to some people.

We're planning a bulk delete depot where you can bulk delete specific categories of site interactions, most likely based on this mock-up:

Voting & Review Overhaul is a go!

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 22:05:52

At 9/20/18 09:04 PM, Maltor-Sever wrote: @tomfulp so erm, Voting Exp and B/P no longer contribute to the weight of my vote ?.

They do, although we don't show that message about it each time you vote.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 22:08:36

At 9/20/18 09:05 PM, Kwing wrote: This is partly bugged; if you click Edit from your own reviews page, the review disappears (not permanently; you can refresh it.)

Good catch, noted!

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 22:11:00

At 9/20/18 09:48 PM, satax300 wrote: Great update guys!, the rating system feels a lot more polished now, and I am really glad I can now delete some of my reviews I did back in 2012 and edit some unfair ratings. All in all, thanks for dedicating so much time to NG for so many years! Also, @IvanAlmighty Tankman Steve looks great!
(I hope we see Pico, Nene and Darnell someday again though!)

No promises but I'd like to give users the option to choose their vote mascot, so you could replace Steve with a variety of other characters. There are higher priority items at the moment though.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 22:13:23

Okay, cool and whatever, but any chance we can get the old icons available to download?

(>'-')>

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 22:37:18

Hm, this is defo a milestone for the site.

RIP Pico(and the other respective characters from the other portals)

Gonna take some time for people to get used to the new setting, after all, voting system's been the same all those years.
Gotta say new one's rather lacking in the colors department, however.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 23:01:09

Glad to see NG is still evolving. Any chance we'll get messages from Steve or something like that once our daily experience has been fully deposited or if we're levelling up or if we reach an EXP milestone (e.g. 10,000 EXP; 5,555 EXP)? Kinda a bummer that now the only way we know how close we are to a new level is by checking the user stats shot.

One thing that I liked in the 2007 update was when you voted on something it would show how much a voting point that it increased or decreased the submission's score. Any chance of that coming back now that the review bar and voting bar have merged?

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 23:44:10

Very interesting update, although I suspect there are going to be major shifts in the charts.

Also a little disappointed to see that review comment threads weren't added. I think it would have been interesting to allow open discussions about the feedback users are giving.

Keep up the great work NG

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 00:05:50

I have a couple of old cartoons from 2013 that have lost their score entirely and on their page say "awaiting votes".

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 00:43:49

For a minute there I thought there was something wrong with my computer, then I go to homepage for answers and of course I find answers here. I've now tried the new system, I am pleased Tom, I am pleased.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 01:08:33

Oh, so that was the reason for that maintenance last night. I figured something was off when I saw that "A Fable II Experience 2 was the best movie of all time. About review scores replacing vote scores, thanks, Tom, you've just raised a lot of scores that should have been higher. Also, the ability to delete and edit review will come in really handy, I'm sure. The emotes, though, I don't know. The Tankman stuff is super satisfying though, and I love how it gives you that bit of xp. Overall, a big change, but a convenient change for the most part.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 01:51:04

A popup on the first submission you access explaining the new voting system would be a great addition to this!

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 02:51:19

At 9/20/18 10:05 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/20/18 09:04 PM, Maltor-Sever wrote: @tomfulp so erm, Voting Exp and B/P no longer contribute to the weight of my vote ?.

But what about level ups? Before it would show "Congrats, you reached level XY!", doesn't it do that anymore? I mean, not that it matters to me, but not every user has reached level 60 yet. ;)

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 03:31:21

I'm rating this update 3.5 stars (sorry, ha!)
I like being able to give half stars. Scrolling across the stars and seeing the tank dude face change is a nice touch.

Some of the "Author Comments" can sometimes contain lots of text and I don't like having to scroll down the page to find the stars. I'm thinking the layout could be improved, not sure how though.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 04:10:58

bring the old voting system back, at least it told us how many more points you needed to advance to the next level

BBS Signature

@Tom to be honest some features like wisle status is pretty much useless nowadays ....my best advice is to get rid of it mine has been stuck on garbage and hasent changed and probably its broken / not even worth seein and i give good reviews to ppl and dont get any credit for it so why keep it?

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 05:16:43

At first I was a bit confused about the voting system. I was like how do you vote? But i like how the new system kinda encourages people to write a review or comment with your vote. I always look forward to comments to my work and I like to give comments on other pieces of work. Overall I like this.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 05:30:46

Wonder if it would have been worth saving all the old scores as legacy votes and completely starting fresh with the new voting system.

I will see how it goes but all the scores currently look out of wack and the best of all time just doesn't seem right to me.

Interesting update to say the least.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 07:25:17

RIP Pico, darnell, nene, tankman's tank...who's next up on the chopping block?

At 9/20/18 10:01 PM, TomFulp wrote: We're planning a bulk delete depot where you can bulk delete specific categories of site interactions, most likely based on this mock-up:

Can't wait for large swathes of [deleted] in the forums and reviews sections.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 07:33:22

RIP NICO

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 08:31:16

I don't know if this is a result of this update, but it seems like I no longer get notifications for new reviews.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 08:31:31

Well I would say that the current voting system is alright for now I guess. I know that this is still in work in progress, but I think it is coming along very well. At least more problems of the past has been corrected. So I see that the voting for the review is back, but only difference is that I couldn't see on who voted 'helpful' or 'useless' on the review. Only if you have a logged in account, you could see who liked or disliked your review. But I felt like the Tankman or Steve could've used different headgears, depending on which page you are in (games, movies, art, or audio). It doesn't make short messages like Pico's gang did in the old design when you gave the rating. I also noticed it didn't have the exp count message, but I remembered a few months back, you showed the screenshot of the progress bar between levels, which is still being worked on. At least you can delete your review, flag the author's response like you couldn't before. Although it lacks the short message about your review. Well I would love to type more, but I just got back from busy day with a busy family.

I'm giving this temporay update a 7.5/10. But I know it could be changed in the future.

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

At 9/21/18 08:35 AM, Maltor-Sever wrote: @tomfulp I'd like that message telling me how many days left are needed to level up ,now it's just a mystery. and no, I don't want to use a third party website for that, the inhouse system worked just fine .

Also it seems that the new system is limiting me to 8 xp per day , and I'm not the only one experiencing the issue.Have seen others mentioning the same thing in this post.

talk about taking a system that worked fine and deliberately breaking it for no real good reason other than to pander to smart phone users.

The 8xp bug is fixed now so everyone should be able to log 10xp. You will get a notice when voting causes you to level up but for now if you want to check your status, you can see it in the stats box on your user page. We'll have to think on whether we reintroduce a status notification in the view page, since we're trying to keep it more streamlined.

Also mobile users weren't the ones asking for vote editing, review editing and the majority of the features we launched yesterday. The only thing this really addressed for mobile users is that two vote bars in a single column looked really weird. It was weird for desktop users too, though. It was weird for anyone who doesn't go way back with NG.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 08:51:31

At 9/21/18 08:31 AM, xmatos wrote: I don't know if this is a result of this update, but it seems like I no longer get notifications for new reviews.

It's possible this broke in the update.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 08:52:22

At 9/21/18 02:51 AM, Haggard wrote:
At 9/20/18 10:05 PM, TomFulp wrote:
But what about level ups? Before it would show "Congrats, you reached level XY!", doesn't it do that anymore? I mean, not that it matters to me, but not every user has reached level 60 yet. ;)

People will still get a custom message when they level up, they just don't get a message for every vote now.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 08:53:18

At 9/21/18 12:16 AM, IoTheEternal wrote:
At 9/21/18 12:05 AM, HipnikDragomir wrote: I have a couple of old cartoons from 2013 that have lost their score entirely and on their page say "awaiting votes".
yup - pretty much everything before 2015 has been obliterated score wise it seems.. however if you change your score for your song - say you 5ed it in the past, and then refresh, it will add all the reviews you have's scores as additional scores to your song. So if you have 50 reviews and it says awaiting votes you will then have 50 votes, but only if you alter your existing score on your song, or if someone else reviews your song or rates it.

This was due to a bulk update script that failed yesterday during the downtime, which would have updated everything ahead of time. This will be getting resolved.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 09:35:03

Much needed. There is a long work ahead of me now.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature