00:00
00:00
Upgrade Your Account!

Hey! To start this decade right, we believe Newgrounds should be ad-free for EVERYONE. For this to work, we need people who have the means to become paying supporters. For just $3 per month or $25 for the year, you can help this happen and get some nice perks!

For the month of April we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 52 people to reach our goal of 3,000 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in May!

Please check out our Supporter Upgrade and consider coming aboard!

Voting & Review Overhaul is a go!

16,367 Views | 175 Replies
Respond to this Topic

I'm in shock, the All Time listings looks so different..

I'm gonna miss the Pico voting icons though.

At 9/20/18 04:06 PM, TomFulp wrote: 1) You now gain 2XP the moment you score any content, 10XP per day max. Previously you had to vote on five games and/or movies before logging 10XP as a single deposit.
3) You can now edit both your score and review. You can delete your review, too.

Good updates, I really like that we can earn XP from voting on Art and Audio now.
It doesn't feel like the usefulness of voting on them is downplayed anymore.

And being able to edit scores/reviews is a good feature aswell. Sometimes your finger slips or you word a review weird and it's great to be able to fix those sort of things.

Thanks to the NG crew for continuing to maintain this place.

Sleep so many dream, sugar prince.

لن أريكم مكان صنع عصير الليمون. నిమ్మకాయ లేదు.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 17:25:16

At 9/20/18 05:08 PM, jonthomson wrote: God damnit my non 0/5 xp ending figure is no longer a sign I'm here forever

But your sign up date is

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 17:27:22

At 9/20/18 04:54 PM, Martin wrote: I'm confused about 1 thing. Do I have to review a submission in order to gain another 2xp? Because I don't really like writing reviews in general.

Nope, but you have to give a rate in order to get XP.

Hello.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 17:33:12

Not bad, not bad. I like how stuff is constantly getting new, improved features. Congrats.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 17:34:53

At 9/20/18 05:16 PM, Kieran wrote: Since we can change votes now, how do blam and protects work now?

It will be based on your score at the moment judgment ends. There’s some new blam art too if you blam something.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Hope nobody minds me giving my feedback now, it was just a short test, so it's just an early feedback, therefore it may change.

Overall, I loved it. I liked how it seems to passively stimulate user to review instead of just voting, the "Leave your feedback" box right there under the vote bar was like if it said: "Hey dude, thanks for voting, why don't you leave a review as well?". It is also pretty nice to be able to vote with "halfs", before this, when I reviewed something and rated it something like 3.5 I would always find myself in the dilemma of: "Should I vote 3 or 4?".

Though, I have some questions:

1-Are the blam and save rules still the same? bacause I noticed that the tankman turns red when hovering over 0.5 and 0, and that seems to imply that these are the blam votes. (Note that I don't really think this is true, I'm just pointing out what they imply).

2-Are creators going to get notifications when someone edits a review in one of their submissions, as they do when someone posts one? This came to my mind because editing a review can mean completely different feedback and score.

3-If I change the score I gave to a submission a day later, does that count as a new vote? Or if I delete my review and make a new one?

4-Are we getting XP for voting on audio and art now? I forgot to check it out.

Besides that, there are a few suggestions I'd like to make: maybe this editing review thing should have a time limit like in the forums, and the review should be marked as edited, again just like in the forums.

In the end, I don't think Pico's sacrifice was in vain.

P.S.: Good lord, everything is different on the "Best of all time". Think this will take some time to get fixed. Also I noticed the score has changed for some stuff (first one I noticed was my own, the score went down a bit, not much. Is there a chance that this shift was bigger for other stuff?) I also thing this "correct itself" thing may be harder for the little guys, as they don't get too much exposition (not like there's a big difference, but there's a little difference between the amount of exposition big authors get and little ones get).

The Original Hip Cat

{Be Rational} {You've been...}

At 9/20/18 04:06 PM, TomFulp wrote: 1) You now gain 2XP the moment you score any content, 10XP per day max. Previously you had to vote on five games and/or movies before logging 10XP as a single deposit.

I don't think I received my 2XP :S

Edit: Okay, out of 6 submissions, 5 counted. So that's good. I think it was a one off with connection issues.

At 9/20/18 05:42 PM, theadhx wrote:
At 9/20/18 05:08 PM, Martin wrote:
Okay. The reason I asked is because for some weird reason, i'm not getting my last 2xp for the day. I even voted on past submissions to make sure and it's still not giving me the last 2xp I need.
I thought I was the only one to notice this. I've had that same problem, too.

Edit 2: It looks to work better on movies than it does with games.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 17:42:21

At 9/20/18 05:08 PM, Martin wrote:
At 9/20/18 05:00 PM, TomFulp wrote: Nope, reviewing is optional.
Okay. The reason I asked is because for some weird reason, i'm not getting my last 2xp for the day. I even voted on past submissions to make sure and it's still not giving me the last 2xp I need.

I thought I was the only one to notice this. I've had that same problem, too.

There isn't a day that goes by where I wished Sony didn't cancel Spider-Man 4.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 17:45:07

Moving the mouse of the star scores makes Tankman Steve more alive than ever. Animation!

~ Jessie

Cinematic & Film Composer. Creative Director. Writer. Artist. Producer.

Visit My Official Website!

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 17:46:41

Shit, shit and shit.
Newgrounds. You become shitty everyday.
I think, you died already.
RIP.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 17:56:06

At 9/20/18 05:46 PM, RarityNyasha wrote: Shit, shit and shit.
Newgrounds. You become shitty everyday.
I think, you died already.
RIP.

lol

BBS Signature

At 9/20/18 04:06 PM, TomFulp wrote: Ok so to explain our voting system... Prior to 2015, you could vote on the same entry every day if you wanted to and keep driving its score up or down (this is where the term zero bombing started). We logged the votes but we didn't keep any long-term logs of who had cast the vote.

I miss those days, the fact that I used that to exploit with my high voting power with the artist scouting system in the Art Portal to get so many people pruned from being scouted at one point I think I managed to get 1/4 of all scouted artists pruned. see if someone scouts (scouter) someone and the scoutee gets unscouted the scouter and any one the scoutee scouted along the branch gets unscouted as well.*evil laughter*

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 18:00:51

I'm super excited for this! Thanks for being so dedicated c:

WHOOOP DHEE DERP!

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 18:02:19

Hopefully this'll make people leave reviews more often! Neat little overhaul :)

Meet the Mayor.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 18:04:25

At 9/20/18 05:53 PM, IoTheEternal wrote: Oh hey can we please get scores back on the charts too? For too long people have hidden behind the fact nobody knows what scores the charts are showing.. and isn't that kinda the point of charts, to show the scores..?

Tom the next few days are just gonna be people tearing through these submissions hahaha..

also would still love to see a rate and review option for the mini player at the bottom of the screen when you click a disc icon..

Yeah, maybe this changes can open the way to bring the Audio Portal back to pristine condition. For one, now people get XP for voting on music, which may mean more people voting on the Audio Portal. There's still a lot to go, tho.

And of course, it also needs people making good music, but they ought to be around.

The Original Hip Cat

{Be Rational} {You've been...}

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 18:08:01

At 9/20/18 04:06 PM, TomFulp wrote: @liljim just rolled out our big voting and review overhaul!

Here is what has changed:

1) You now gain 2XP the moment you score any content, 10XP per day max. Previously you had to vote on five games and/or movies before logging 10XP as a single deposit.

2) The Pico voting bar and review score bar have been merged into a single score bar, featuring tankman Steve, illustrated by @IvanAlmighty.

This is what I've been wanting for yearsssss, this is going to make things so much better! :D Good job guys!

New Piercing Lazer singles "Trickster's Ambition" and "Homeless" now on BandCamp, Itunes, and other online stores!

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 18:08:36

This update is both really fucking cool and really flexible. The continuous addition of options to reacting to content, reviewing options and editing/deletion of reviews gives users way more agency. The more control we have over interactions and responses the better. I just hope the data management as a whole doesn't become more laborious as a result.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 18:26:44

What a welcome and refreshing change. Thank you Tom, liljim and everyone else for not being afraid to make such a drastic overhaul to the system.

Wi/Ht? #28

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 18:42:17

I voted on ten submissions, and it will only give 8 XP. There seems to be a bug that will not give you your 10 XP daily.

@tomfulp
@liljim

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 18:51:40

The New Eulogy Page Is Now Update To Mobile Friendly!

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 19:08:27

> 1) You now gain 2XP the moment you score any content, 10XP per day max. Previously you had to vote on five games and/or movies before logging 10XP as a single deposit.

Thank you so much for that! The previous system actually made me hold back from voting because to vote one thing I like that day, I'd have to find 4 others to get XP which I would then hold off doing. THANKS!!

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 19:13:26

Finally, awesome. Most of my submissions jumped all over the place. Some of the more obscure ones are 5/5. Seems not all existing reviews have been turned into votes though. I have one submission with only one vote, but four pages of reviews.

I hope we can get to a point when scores actually matter again. It's probably too much to ask that things actually get blammed for lack of quality. I'm just nostalgic for classic Newgrounds. It may have been a touch elitist, and very statwhorey, but it was really great when getting something past judgement carried some prestige.

And are we ever going to do something about people using the reviews as a comment section? I don't really know how to fix it, considering how standard Youtube style comments have become it's sort of expected, but it's annoying to get reviews that just say, "cool". I like to respond to every review eventually, but there's nothing much to say half the time, and these comment-like reviews crowd out the legit good ones.

This probably isn't feasible, but seeing a record of everything you ever voted on (well, since 2015) would be cool.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 19:15:31

@TomFulp this is amazing and all but I need literally 1 point to make my exp 11,111

My dream is still beyond my grasp....

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 19:23:26

At 9/20/18 05:25 PM, Kieran wrote:
At 9/20/18 05:08 PM, jonthomson wrote: God damnit my non 0/5 xp ending figure is no longer a sign I'm here forever
But your sign up date is

Now I appear to have also got some additional experience for today through voting, but it stopped at a zero, now I'm like everyone else, you insensitive clods

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 19:25:23

But your sign up date is
Now I appear to have also got some additional experience for today through voting, but it stopped at a zero, now I'm like everyone else, you insensitive clods

Har har! But you should have gotten 10 exp instead of 8

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 19:30:54

Does vote power still scale with experience and are there still secrets unlocked with one's increased level?

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 19:31:43

At 9/20/18 04:06 PM, TomFulp wrote: @liljim just rolled out our big voting and review overhaul!

Here is what has changed:

1) You now gain 2XP the moment you score any content, 10XP per day max. Previously you had to vote on five games and/or movies before logging 10XP as a single deposit.

2) The Pico voting bar and review score bar have been merged into a single score bar, featuring tankman Steve, illustrated by @IvanAlmighty.

3) You can now edit both your score and review. You can delete your review, too.

4) You still have to score a submission in order to review it but you can now hide your score if you aren't into that sort of thing; we've talked to a lot of artists who aren't.

Please, I do not like this. The Pico scoring system was great because it told you exactly what every rating meant. Yeah it was odd that reviews were different from scores, but for someone new to the site, it meant that 0-5 ratings weren't subjective, they had an intended meaning that was hard to deviate from. Some of the pico wordings were dated, but Blam this piece of crap and the 2/5 explained everything impersonally. This way unlike most scoring systems, 3/5 and 2/5 were real averages v.s. the weird and absolutely awful scoring system in most places where 4/5 was suddenly average (i.e. Steam) and anything lower is not worth your time. The previous rating system felt honest, and made it so one person understand what their 2/5 meant v.s. other people's ratings, and gave you a reason not to just slam 0's, 1's or 5's. If the data shows otherwise I get it, but knowing what your rating meant, meant a lot to me as someone who frequently rates things on the portal. I tend to at least give a 1 if something has any level of animation, and a 2 if I don't like it, but genuine effort was clearly put into it and it didn't piss me off.
Like, if a newcomer kid puts up his test of how flash or unity works, a 2/5 as "nothing too new or original" perfectly fits. It's not meant to be a finished game and it doesn't deserve a 1/5, which in other rating systems I would likely have given it.

Adding the ability to edit and react to reviews may remove some of what makes Newgrounds rating system so different from other sites. There was even a sleepy cabin bit about this where they discussed how one great thing about the site was that one you posted a review, that was it, and the creator had the final say, so even if someone wanted to be trolly. I understand the concept of editing reviews to allow for changes with products, but why not allow the ability to edit reviews after a flash has been updated? This allows for changes in opinion after an updated or expanded game.
Being able to delete your own reviews I understand, but again, there should be some limits so someone can't just remove their entire history, or some limit to when you can delete a post i.e. not immediately.
I feel like adding the ability to edit and delete reviews might add for more direct, public contact between creators and users on the review section, which sounds like a good idea but given Newgrounds normally trolly users, it's not.

I'm not a fan of the new review and score merging either. I get the idea, I really do, but I don't think this is going to create more honest reviews out of people.My gut tells me this won't be the case and like what happened with steam's review system, you'll get a lot of short, lazy reviews because people want to give their views on something. The button system allowed you to give your opinion without requiring an essay behind it which yeah, could make it so you could just jump onto a flash, hit 0 and run for you daily XP, but it also made it so you wouldn't have to articulate a view on something like the aforementioned demo or test flashes which Newgrounds has bottomless pits of.

I really want to hear your justification for some of these new changes beyond "The old system felt old and outdated" because some of us came to love that system, and it's one of the things that made Newgrounds stand out.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 19:33:03

At 9/20/18 07:30 PM, Bienenstock wrote: Does vote power still scale with experience and are there still secrets unlocked with one's increased level?

I think secrets are gone as far as I know, and I am really curious about your first question as that gave you reason to increase your level and have a modicum of more affect on the portal than other users.