00:00
00:00
Upgrade Your Account!

Hey! To start this decade right, we believe Newgrounds should be ad-free for EVERYONE. For this to work, we need people who have the means to become paying supporters. For just $3 per month or $25 for the year, you can help this happen and get some nice perks!

For the month of April we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 44 people to reach our goal of 3,000 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in May!

Please check out our Supporter Upgrade and consider coming aboard!

Voting & Review Overhaul is a go!

16,380 Views | 175 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 15:13:16

So now that you can flag author's responses, what happens if a response is considered abusive?

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 15:33:23

At 9/20/18 08:45 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/20/18 05:36 PM, GeoKureli wrote: I'm confused how this new ranking system works?

Katan - Votes:1,850 Score:4.89 Rank:#1
Tarboy - Votes:8,847 Score:4.91 Rank:#50
It currently updates once per day so expect a big shift on the next refresh.

I waited a day and now I'm even more confused.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 15:49:14

At 9/21/18 03:13 PM, MistyEntertainment wrote: So now that you can flag author's responses, what happens if a response is considered abusive?

Yeah this is bad.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 16:26:25

At 9/21/18 03:58 PM, IoTheEternal wrote: lol.. I do think tarboy is up there though.

I feel comfortable with Tarboy in a top spot.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 16:47:22

Does the EXP only apply to Flash Portal submissions still? As in I still won't get any EXP for Audio and Art?

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 16:51:27

At 9/21/18 03:52 PM, RightTime wrote:
At 9/21/18 03:33 PM, GeoKureli wrote:
You mean you don't think TTA is the greatest series of all time?

At least Tarboy is there right? Man, this update has shaken things up, uh? I don't wanna jump to conclusions so fast, Think we still need to wait a few weeks, maybe a month, and then it would be time to see if it actually messed stuff up or if it was just the shock of the moment.

I founf it interesting that most old timers seemed to like this update. I personally liked it as well, even with all the stuff I miss from the old style, I enjoy how this opens up a lot of new opportunities.

The Original Hip Cat

{Be Rational} {You've been...}

At 9/21/18 03:52 PM, RightTime wrote:
At 9/21/18 03:33 PM, GeoKureli wrote:
You mean you don't think TTA is the greatest series of all time?

I mean, it's Tarboy, then Walk-Smash-Walk then TTA parts 17- 98 (you know, the golden years) then Noodles on my Back followed by the rest of TTA, of course

seriously, wtf is TTA

So the red score button at the very left is still a 0, not reporting the flash right?

Edit: and how do you report now?

Edit again: Nvm I figured that one out.

I fell down and hit my head on a rock. My Father asked, is the rock okay?

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 17:12:42

At 9/21/18 05:02 PM, WaffleCrisp wrote: So the red score button at the very left is still a 0, not reporting the flash right?

Correct!

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 17:35:50

At 9/21/18 04:47 PM, BronzeHeart92 wrote: Does the EXP only apply to Flash Portal submissions still? As in I still won't get any EXP for Audio and Art?

You get 2 EXP for voting on everything. Movies, games, art and audio all give EXP.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 17:46:40

I like the new review smilies, but the new voting icons just aren't as charming as the Pico ones.Tankman just isn't very..emotive.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 18:15:05

At 9/21/18 05:46 PM, smbzfan2 wrote: I like the new review smilies, but the new voting icons just aren't as charming as the Pico ones.Tankman just isn't very..emotive.

There should be an option to change the voting icons back to the original Pico ones.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 18:18:09

How does this effect levels? It used to be that if you voted on five projects in a given day, you'd get 10 points of experience that eventually moves you to a new level, when you've amassed enough points. Or do you just get points every time you vote, now, no matter how many movies are viewed or games are played at any given time?

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 18:22:32

At 9/21/18 06:18 PM, makestuff wrote: How does this effect levels? It used to be that if you voted on five projects in a given day, you'd get 10 points of experience that eventually moves you to a new level, when you've amassed enough points. Or do you just get points every time you vote, now, no matter how many movies are viewed or games are played at any given time?

Your 2XP are deposited instantly the moment you vote, so you could vote once a day and gain 2XP per day, where with the old system, you had to vote on a minimum of five things each day to log your 10XP. There is still a 10XP daily max (except for when we do events where we raise it, like we're trying tomorrow).

When you vote and gain a level, we have a special notice that pops up, showing the new level icon and informing you that you leveled up. Same if your vote is the final vote in judgment.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 18:25:13

Good to know. Thanks!

At 9/21/18 06:22 PM, TomFulp wrote:
When you vote and gain a level, we have a special notice that pops up, showing the new level icon and informing you that you leveled up. Same if your vote is the final vote in judgment.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 19:53:10

At 9/20/18 04:06 PM, TomFulp wrote: 1) You now gain 2XP the moment you score any content, 10XP per day max. Previously you had to vote on five games and/or movies before logging 10XP as a single deposit.

Best change, and long overdue! As it was, the system was geared to favor spammers rather than legitimate voters because you got no points if you voted fewer than 5 submissions, so even if you only wanted to vote one, you'd spam vote the rest to not waste those points.

I still think the cap should be removed though. Some days you might view/review/vote on many more submissions and other days few or none. If you genuinely watch or play through 10 submissions in a day or even 15 you should be able to vote on all of those and have them count to your totals. But at least the spam voting potential is reduced from what it was previously.

Not a fan of most of the cosmetic changes, but this is a very functional change that was long overdue. Would be interesting to see who upvoted or downvoted on various comments, but I understand you may want to keep that more "anonymous" even though I'm sure the data is in the logs.

Because it usually goes like this. Give a special snowflake author constructive criticism they can't handle, they downvote your comment. Or another I've seen is people upvoting their own comments with their armies of alt accounts, lol, talk about lame.

You'll know someone is astroturfing their own stuff if you see someone comment who you know is an alias of the author of the game, and typically gives a full 5 stars "review" and praises everything, roflmao.

Also there's at least one person who comes to mind who definitely gamed the system to get all his stuff ranked up because no way that's natural -- almost universally hated by everyone, low scores in the reviews, yet all averaging high 3's or even 4's, lol. A certain someone who frequently spammed certain gargoyle games, lol.

Really that's the most obvious example but I'm sure there are others who found ways to game the rankings too.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-21 20:04:11

A major update indeed! It'll probably take some getting used to.

- CM154

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-22 03:44:07

At 9/21/18 01:31 PM, HeadMistressSeven wrote:
It's the most action I'm getting today.

Get plenty of XP 😖👌

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-22 04:32:39

At 9/21/18 07:53 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Also there's at least one person who comes to mind who definitely gamed the system to get all his stuff ranked up because no way that's natural -- almost universally hated by everyone, low scores in the reviews, yet all averaging high 3's or even 4's, lol. A certain someone who frequently spammed certain gargoyle games, lol.

That user sounds familiar to me, but I can't quite remember which one you are talking about. Are you allowed to give more hints, or to give out their identify?

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-22 16:57:33

At 9/20/18 10:01 PM, TomFulp wrote: We're planning a bulk delete depot where you can bulk delete specific categories of site interactions, most likely based on this mock-up:

Feature request: Delete forum activity based on a date range. Or just prior to a selected date.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who signed up somewhat young and wants to delete their early post history. Especially on the politics forum.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-22 18:02:30

At 9/22/18 04:32 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 9/21/18 07:53 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Also there's at least one person who comes to mind who definitely gamed the system to get all his stuff ranked up because no way that's natural -- almost universally hated by everyone, low scores in the reviews, yet all averaging high 3's or even 4's, lol. A certain someone who frequently spammed certain gargoyle games, lol.
That user sounds familiar to me, but I can't quite remember which one you are talking about. Are you allowed to give more hints, or to give out their identify?

https://miscritsquest.newgrounds.com/

As well as all their very numerous alt accounts, many of which are co-authors on their own games. And probably many more alt accounts not even publicly known. No way that guy's stuff deserves the high ratings it has when it's all just copy-paste of the same stuff they just kept uploading.

And if you'll look in the comments, most people giving 0s or 1s, although you obviously have the people who just 5 star everything.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-22 19:30:13

Thanks for all the hard work bringing this to daylight, I was never a fan of the old system because I mostly just come here for art, not movies or games. I was voting on submissions without actually watching or playing them to level up which wasn't what I wanted. Now I don't have to do that because I'll just stick to the art-side of Newgrounds, and I'm much more comfortable there.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-22 21:08:44

At 9/22/18 06:02 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 9/22/18 04:32 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 9/21/18 07:53 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Also there's at least one person who comes to mind who definitely gamed the system to get all his stuff ranked up because no way that's natural -- almost universally hated by everyone. A certain someone who frequently spammed certain gargoyle games, lol.
https://miscritsquest.newgrounds.com/

Thanks. That name was on the tip of my tongue.

As well as all their very numerous alt accounts, many of which are co-authors on their own games. And probably many more alt accounts not even publicly known. No way that guy's stuff deserves the high ratings it has when it's all just copy-paste of the same stuff they just kept uploading.

I remember all the shenanigans that happened. There was plenty of drama going on at the time.

And if you'll look in the comments, most people giving 0s or 1s, although you obviously have the people who just 5 star everything.

Yes, the reviews and the ratings were not the same at all. We will see how all of his stuff ends up now.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-23 08:16:07

Here's another thing I realized. Now there are movies with no votes at the very bottom of the list. There are movies with no votes that are out of judgment. What a time to be alive. I accidentally voted 5 on one, though.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

At 9/21/18 11:23 AM, ChazDude wrote:
At 9/21/18 08:51 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/21/18 08:31 AM, xmatos wrote: I don't know if this is a result of this update, but it seems like I no longer get notifications for new reviews.
It's possible this broke in the update.
It's happening to me too.

Nevermind me. I messed up reading this. But Tom, I don't get notifications for authors responding to my reviews. Did you phase that out for some reason or is it a glitch? Please fix it if you can.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-23 16:26:21

At 9/23/18 08:21 AM, Thereviewtrickster wrote: Nevermind me. I messed up reading this. But Tom, I don't get notifications for authors responding to my reviews. Did you phase that out for some reason or is it a glitch? Please fix it if you can.

This.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-23 16:50:03

At 9/23/18 08:16 AM, Thereviewtrickster wrote: Here's another thing I realized. Now there are movies with no votes at the very bottom of the list. There are movies with no votes that are out of judgment. What a time to be alive. I accidentally voted 5 on one, though.

This is a crazy time to be alive. it feels like such a brave new world.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-24 04:48:04

@TomFulp

I was only able to get XP on one submission today, got nothing for the other 4, I was only able to get 2XP and nothing more

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-24 11:29:50

@TomFulp

There is a bug with blams not showing up. Can somebody look into this? Blams are hard enough to earn without the new update issues.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-24 11:42:21

At 9/24/18 11:29 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: @TomFulp

There is a bug with blams not showing up. Can somebody look into this? Blams are hard enough to earn without the new update issues.

There was a bug where people weren't getting blam and save points since the update, this should be fixed now though and a more proper fix is in the works.

BBS Signature