00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AfroChan332 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Help with Website!

7,925 Views | 9 Replies

Help with Website! 2013-07-05 18:59:21

Sorry if my topic's in the wrong thread, but I need some help. I'm making an educational website, sort of like an online school, where you learn RPG style. Users would not have a pixelated avatar, but instead they would just get "skills", (like simple visual symbols) to show they passed a certain part of the curriculum. Maybe avatars later on but not soon...
What I will do is start simple, like Kindergarten stuff to make it easy, like how an RPG starts out. At certain points in the lessons, I will have tests (I will make) with questions that when answered correctly, will result in a knowledge skill in that area. I have the disciplines in order, and I've provided an image of the tiers in this post. As in an RPG, certain skills from the lower tiers will be required to have gained certain skills from a higher tier. For example, you can't study -or even try to take the test of- an algebra lesson if you don't have knowledge skills in 1+1 simple math. (Think Sinjid: Shadow of the Ninja meets elementary, middle, high school and beyond.)This gives a level of freedom to the user in how and what they want to study, I think, because the user doesn't have to study everything in the tier- just what they want to learn about and what is necessary to learn that. There will be different pathways because of the different academic disciplines, and it will be customizable in that way (at least).
So, anyway, I have the idea all fleshed out and started to make a website but I'm not really a programmer so I'm looking for any criticism, ideas, and help: tutorials/references/materials/advice to help me do this thing! I'm ready and willing to update and maintain the site, and if it gets big, hopefully I can get some ads going on there.
I want to get people to learn practical things on this site. It won't really be focused on the humanities like art and music. More chemistry, math, and other natural sciences as well as logic will be given the main priority. I will have language, government, and others on there, but only because I think those are helpful in life.
I need to know how to make tests, how to build a skill system based on the tiers, and lastly how to keep some pages unreachable until a certain skill set is acquired.

Help with Website!

"problems are challenges"

"the strength of a warrior is only the warrior's strongest weapon's weapon strength"

Response to Help with Website! 2013-07-05 19:02:20

wish

Smoke. Sleep. Life. "Inhale the good shit exhale the bullshit" - Your peaceful dude PotHeadParadise

Peace And Love For A Better World

BBS Signature

Response to Help with Website! 2013-07-05 19:08:56

you might consider taking a university course in website design and concept art... mmm... maybe a little bit of coding considering you want very spacific things with your wedsite

start playing around on adobe stuff like web disigner and stuff
http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver.html

enjoy i think and stuff

BBS Signature

Response to Help with Website! 2013-07-05 19:20:37

At 7/5/13 07:08 PM, tox wrote: you might consider taking a university course in website design and concept art... mmm... maybe a little bit of coding considering you want very spacific things with your wedsite

enjoy i think and stuff

Thanks, but my mac is OS 10.6. It requires 10.7+.

"the strength of a warrior is only the warrior's strongest weapon's weapon strength"

Response to Help with Website! 2013-07-05 19:23:11

At 7/5/13 07:08 PM, tox wrote: start playing around on adobe stuff like web disigner and stuff
http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver.html

Thanks, but my mac is OS 10.6. Dreamweaver says it's 10.7+ required.

Response to Help with Website! 2013-07-05 23:42:25

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Help with Website! 2013-07-07 11:41:39

At 7/5/13 11:42 PM, Gimmick wrote: codecademy.com

Thanks!

Response to Help with Website! 2013-07-07 11:55:05

Dude, thanks. THat's exactly what I was looking for!

Response to Help with Website! 2013-07-07 18:53:05

Jesus I was going to make some mockery post but this is actually great and I never intended to learn coding or anything ever but now I just might thanks again Gimmick your presence here in the BBS is good.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Help with Website! 2013-07-07 19:03:21

9/10
would code

BBS Signature