Respond to this Topic
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer

January 23rd was our third annual Pixel Day, a celebration of classic gaming and PC aesthetic. The community participated with pixel art, pixel animation, pixel games and chiptunes. Here are the winners!

First place in each category will receive $100 and three winners in each category will receive Steam keys for Iconoclasts.

Top Three Art

• Bloop 'Lanet
    Bloop 'Lanet by TurkeyOnAStick

Hello. This pic was inspired by a shower curtain that I own. https://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/440cccdbe73dd662a9591dfdb1...

Score
    4.793103448 / 5.00
    Type
    Pixel Art
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone
  • 1 9 8 4
    1 9 8 4 by PussyShark

Score
    4.454545454 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone
  • Newgrounds in Metroidvania 3
    Newgrounds in Metroidvania 3 by ScepterDPinoy

Happy Pixel Day 2018 everyone! This took me at under 2 months (with breaks) made in Gimp. I didn't caught a fatigue compared ...

Score
    4.826086956 / 5.00
    Type
    Pixel Art
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Top Three Music

• Beachside With You
    Beachside With You by johnfn

oh crap its pixel day

Score
    4.44 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Video Game
    Popularity
  • 8bit bEtty - Fall Upon Your Sword
    8bit bEtty - Fall Upon Your Sword by sleepFacingWest

pixelday 2018 submission

Score
    4.85 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Chipstep
    Popularity
  • One Hero's Journey
    One Hero's Journey by ChronoNomad

A lone adventurer sets off on a journey to fulfill his destiny.

Score
    4.64 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Video Game
    Popularity

Top Three Games

• Knightin'
    Knightin' by Wolod

A thrilling adventure of the brave knight!

Score
    3.67 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone
  • Duke Dashington Remastered
    Duke Dashington Remastered by AdventureIslands

Escape each room in 10 seconds! Duke returns with his original adventure remastered!

Score
    4.23 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone
  • Fish Kiss demo
    Fish Kiss demo by megadrivesonic

A point and click adventure where you help Vibi get a kiss from the girl of his dreams.

Score
    3.57 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

Top Three Animations

• Rad-ish (Less Than Rad)
    Rad-ish (Less Than Rad) by gatekid3

A lone radish becomes extremely rad....ish

Score
    4.18 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone
  • Dwarf's Hunger
    Dwarf's Hunger by NickUrs

Dwarf's hunger never changes...

Score
    3.08 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone
  • Platformer Pests 3
    Platformer Pests 3 by thepixelizer

Game minion Mac and his friends must fight for their lives.

Score
    2.62 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

Thank you @RealFaction for co-judging and @Luis for assisting with the art selection! Art is our biggest category and we had a ton of impressive entries. I want to just shower so many of you with prizes.

Thank you @puppiesandanime for the rad Pixel Day Logo and Iconoclasts for the gorgeous site skin and Steam keys!

Most of all, thank you everyone who participated in Pixel Day, even if you just came to watch and listen! This has been a really fun event to host each year and I think it has potential to draw massive crowds in years to come. We're gonna keep working to promote it further and further beyond NG, so lots of people come here to hang.

For Pixel Day 2019 we're already assembling a panel of guest judges. You can expect Tribute Games founder / programmer JF Major as games judge, DJ Cutman as music judge and a tentative Paul Robertson judging animation. @Jazza will be making Pixel Day the theme of his January Draw with Jazza contest and may become the overall art judge, or judge with a panel of guest pixel pros since the category will be huge.

Animation has been our smallest Pixel Day category each year which is ironic considering this January we saw Elvis & Dimmi and Black Crystal, two of the greatest pixel animations in the history of NG, arrive in the same month as Pixel Day. This category has great potential and I'm hoping to see it thrive in the coming years!

Other News

@IvanAlmighty is organizing a Philly Meetup on March 3rd! I don't get out much nowadays so I'm hyped. Come say hi!

If you made a web game for Global Game Jam 2018, tag it "ggj2018" to be included in our collection.

Many of you have noticed NG has been having performance issues this month. For the past two weeks we've been dealing with increased load on the servers. When you visit NG you may sometimes see a grey screen asking you to wait a moment while we check your browser; this is to ensure you are human. When we're in this mode, NG is actively blocking over 1000 bots and site performance returns to normal but it's not an ideal way to be. We've been making a bunch of performance upgrades and are working on additional solutions to the bot menace, including some updates that just launched and appear to be helping a lot so far.

As always, your support is greatly appreciated. Our January funding goal is within reach; maybe you can help us get there!

Pixel Day 2018 Winners!

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
ninjamuffin99
ninjamuffin99
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-29 18:00:59 Reply

Congrats to all the winners! Good shit all around again

RIP STATICSKULL NEVER FORGET

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-29 18:02:36 Reply

At 1/29/18 05:56 PM, TomFulp wrote: January 23rd was our third annual Pixel Day, a celebration of classic gaming and PC aesthetic. The community participated with pixel art, pixel animation, pixel games and chiptunes.

@TomFulp Woah that was fast! :D Yeah that's a good art list for sure. Congrats everyone! Dude, you got THE Paul Robertson finally for Pixel Day?!?!? YES!!!! I'm psyched for next year! This year was definitely a big turn out, I saw at least 20 new artists come to newgrounds to submit just for this occasion! :D Awesome right? Paul could get us an even bigger turnout next year, good for NG traffic too.

That's awesome! I'm surprised you got it planned that far ahead, thats great! :) Thanks for letting this be a thing every year, NG has my heart and I want to keep supporting the community, and you. I'll probably be done with my Pixel Day livestream highlights reel tomorrow.

Thanks for participating everyone! And welcome to all the talented new artists I scouted who submitted for Pixel Day, also! :D

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-29 18:06:44 Reply

At 1/29/18 06:02 PM, RealFaction wrote: @TomFulp Woah that was fast! :D Yeah that's a good art list for sure. Congrats everyone! Dude, you got THE Paul Robertson finally for Pixel Day?!?!? YES!!!!

Paul is still tentative, schedule permitting but I'm hoping it will work out! I think it would encourage a lot of people to take a stab at the animation category if they knew he was watching.

Let me know when your stream video is up!

BBS Signature
megadrivesonic
megadrivesonic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-29 18:16:18 Reply

Congratulations to everyone that won. I'm very happy my game won 3rd place for pixel day and am happy people love the work me and my crew out into it and can't wait to get you the update as soon as it's done.

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-29 18:16:49 Reply

At 1/29/18 06:06 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/29/18 06:02 PM, RealFaction wrote: @TomFulp Woah that was fast! :D Yeah that's a good art list for sure. Congrats everyone! Dude, you got THE Paul Robertson finally for Pixel Day?!?!? YES!!!!
Paul is still tentative, schedule permitting but I'm hoping it will work out! I think it would encourage a lot of people to take a stab at the animation category if they knew he was watching.

Let me know when your stream video is up!

True, true. He's a busy guy. I hope it works out though! :) Yeah, exactly! That'll be great. It would be cool if somehow we pulled strings with AdultSwimGames as a sponsor and/or prize would be a spot on their website as an Adult Swim game. They've made some really interesting/strange games.

Also, thanks! Yeah I'll let you know :)

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-29 18:19:37 Reply

At 1/29/18 06:16 PM, megadrivesonic wrote: Congratulations to everyone that won. I'm very happy my game won 3rd place for pixel day and am happy people love the work me and my crew out into it and can't wait to get you the update as soon as it's done.

You earned it! You and your crew made a beautiful point 'n' clicker and we don't see a whole lot of those anymore, I grew up on those games. It's really well-drawn and animated. My only critique really, is that I felt the dance game could have had more interaction instead of just clicking, but rather clicking the arrows like a rhythm game usually is would be more fun and interactive. Other than that, I loved it.

On the livestream last night, I gave a couple characters silly voices, you'll see it in the video I post this week of livestream highlights :) keep us updated! I'd love to play it when it's done. It really is refreshing, you don't see a lot of aquatic characters in games nowadays, mostly the whole fish people/fish planet thing.

ChronoNomad
ChronoNomad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Musician
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-29 18:37:21 Reply

Huge congrats to all the winners, and there was an absolute wealth of incredible retro goodness on offer! I am truly honored to be in the musical Top 3 with my submission. Can't wait to dive into Iconoclasts, too!

gatekid3
gatekid3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-29 19:49:37 Reply

It feels more like a bittersweet win, considering black clover and Elvis & Dimmi both came out this month and were incredible and could have easily been winning submissions.

Evilgrapez
Evilgrapez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-29 20:02:33 Reply

Pixel Day this year was wonderful, and that's definitely a worthy Top 3 when it comes to audio. Those were my personal favorites so it was really cool to see them win! It was really fun this year, and I'll be returning to submit next year as well!

ScepterDPinoy
ScepterDPinoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-29 20:03:14 Reply

Congrats to all the winners! Pixel Day was a great time to celebrate but it's kinda sad it was over but hopefully looking forward to new submissions and newcomer pixel artists alike participating here.

LDAF
LDAF
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-29 20:20:13 Reply

Loved what I saw for Pixel Day, and I had a good time participating! Wonderful stuff, folks!

Hey Tom, just curious, any updates on the user/movie/game page updates, or have the site attacks eaten up most of your NG time?

Are you MAN enough to click this?!

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-29 20:27:24 (edited 2018-01-29 20:27:38) Reply

At 1/29/18 07:49 PM, gatekid3 wrote: It feels more like a bittersweet win, considering black clover and Elvis & Dimmi both came out this month and were incredible and could have easily been winning submissions.

It's a shame they didn't enter for Pixel Day, and don't you mean Black Crystal? :P I messaged the guy about it but he didn't seem to check his PMs when I suggested he enter, but definitely would have placed. It's an amazing animation. You did great though! Good job :D you've improved a lot!

gatekid3
gatekid3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-29 20:59:28 Reply

At 1/29/18 08:27 PM, RealFaction wrote:
At 1/29/18 07:49 PM, gatekid3 wrote: It feels more like a bittersweet win, considering black clover and Elvis & Dimmi both came out this month and were incredible and could have easily been winning submissions.
It's a shame they didn't enter for Pixel Day, and don't you mean Black Crystal? :P I messaged the guy about it but he didn't seem to check his PMs when I suggested he enter, but definitely would have placed. It's an amazing animation. You did great though! Good job :D you've improved a lot!

Yes, i do mean Black Crystal, the anime Black Clover is stuck in my mind because of how funny the main characters scream is.
Also thank you.

RemileOduen
RemileOduen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Reader
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-29 23:33:19 Reply

Congrats to the winners and many thanks to all contestants and judges) It was a paradise to eyes and ears

"Please don't tap on the glass. Penguins can see and hear you alright. They just don't care."

PancakePocket
PancakePocket
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-29 23:55:40 Reply

Congratulations to all the winners! Your submissions really were amazing and I enjoyed it all the way!

BBS Signature
Wiesi
Wiesi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-30 01:47:14 Reply

Congrats to the winners!!

Wolod
Wolod
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 48
Game Developer
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-30 04:50:55 Reply

Congrats to all the winners! It was a great celebration of retro aesthetics. I was really impressed by lots of brilliant submissions. 1st place? Woah! I'm so excited! @TomFulp @RealFaction thank you guys for this amazing event! You're the best!

Paul Robertson will be judging next year? Ohmygodohmygodohmygod!!! I might consider to make an animation. But who am I lying to? I know that it'll be a game and you know it as well :P

I noticed those performance issues you're talking about. They were annoying me for the last few days. Hope you'll be able to get rid of this bot menace soon.

Keep up the good work!

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-30 05:23:44 Reply

Congrats to the winners! So much great art in particular, Massive amounts.

Looking forward to seeing how the next year turnover turns out with such great names in place too! And good to know about what's been going on behind those gray screens regarding performance. Been wondering if that meme emoticon is the best one to present to visitors in that bot-check phase too, seems kinda mocking...

littlbox
littlbox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Filmmaker
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-30 07:31:46 Reply

Fantastic choices! Congratulations, everyone!

NickUrs
NickUrs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Game Developer
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-30 08:18:09 Reply

Congrats to all the winners!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-30 09:44:41 Reply

At 1/29/18 08:20 PM, LDAF wrote: Hey Tom, just curious, any updates on the user/movie/game page updates, or have the site attacks eaten up most of your NG time?

The site issues have pushed everything back but things should be getting back on track now, performance improved a lot after last night's updates.

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-30 13:53:59 Reply

Thanks for Pixel Day, and congrats to the winners. My pic has been sitting half finished on my laptop for ages as I couldn’t figure out how to deal with all the fish. I only persisted because I saw the Pixel Day deadline coming ‘round, and I feel glad for it. Iconoclasts can help me procrastinate over my next pic, now.

I was mainly following the art submissions this year, with all the big names (+ makopudding’s back, jeez). There’s a wealth of entries of different styles and ideas - I’m tempted to attempt a dumb animation for next year. I noticed the community turnout for these are both positive and encouraging, and that Tom and RealFaction are chuffed with their “child” and planning for the future. That’s a great template for a contest, and I’m glad you guys have found it successful.

BBS Signature
demon1000
demon1000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Musician
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-30 18:01:10 Reply

Congrats Everybody! i had a fun time checking out the retro styled pixel games, Man... i wanna get my ol Gameboy again...

YOLO WORLD!!!

tbremise
tbremise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-30 19:41:07 Reply

Congratulations everyone! It was fun to be a part of pixel day this year, and super fun to see what everyone else could share as well!

XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-30 22:49:17 Reply

Congrats to all the winners for pixle day we'll deserved and some very nice stuff

As for performance issues yes I have noticed it also hope it gets better in time and with changes

~X~

~X~ ((FOLLOW-ME))
~X~ ((P-BOT NAKED))
[] [] [] (TV SHOW FANATICS) [] [] [] Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] []

BBS Signature
johnfn
johnfn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-30 23:36:13 Reply

wow thanks!!!

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature
PixelPenn
PixelPenn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-01-31 13:27:33 Reply

Great work everyone! It's been a great Pixel Day. Shame there weren't more animation entries, but the pixel art category was a competitive one.

amenduhh
amenduhh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-02-01 12:45:31 Reply

Congratulation's to everyone! I really had a blast and I enjoy seeing everyone great work.

1DarkVoid
1DarkVoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Artist
Response to Pixel Day 2018 Winners! 2018-02-02 00:29:47 Reply

Really love the submissions today of Pixel Day after logging back in after 4 years of absence.

I am glad I am back on my toes to see Newgrounds is still strong. I sure to get something out for Pixel Day next year if I get myself situated.

Brave Frontier User ID: 53477182
Boom Beach
Player Tag: #UC9Q8J8P
Pokémon Shuffle
Friend Code: 35EP - 9FPZ