00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ng Cd 2011 Project Results!

88,992 Views | 620 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-13 18:09:09

At 11/12/11 12:08 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:
Rahmemhotep 8/10 Metal

I respect the hard work you clearly put into this. The vocals at first were kind of off, but then got better as the song progressed. I think the main problem with this song is the mastering. I understand it can be VERY annoying and difficult to master a song. Sometimes it takes years before an artist understands how to properly do it. I would strongly recommend taking your mastering questions to the aduio forums. You need a bit more depth in here with less clipping on those high hats. Youve got great style though. Keep up the hard work and next time get a professional to record your performance.

I'm'a reply to dis hurr thang. To begin, the vocals were MEANT to sound off at some parts. I know what I'm doing in the mixing (as you say, "mastering") department, the problem was that I didn't have enough time to do it right. There's no clipping on the high-hats, so I have no idea what you mean, they're just loud as fuck, so your headset might need replacing, unless .mp3 made it clip.

You see, what I needed to do was layer the instruments, equalize the fuck out of the vocals, fix the percussion, do the vocals with a better microphone, do more with panning the choir vox and take more time to do all this. I really just didn't have enough time before the deadline (I scrapped my original song and started a new one), so, rather than being a loser and not submitting anything, I decided to just go ahead and submit an incomplete song.

I know what I have to do to make it sound better, but the vocals have to stay virtually the same, since I can't do too much using a PC headset mic. Another thing is that this is electronic music. I'm still getting my kicks with this stuff as it's more difficult/tedious to control velocity, timbre and other such things than it is when I'm playing guitar or saz. That being said, it takes me longer to fool with it than it should.

Also, there's no way I'm letting a, "professional," mix experimental music. I'd be on his back with a scythe the entire time he'd be doing it.

In any case, thanks for reviewing my song.

Does anyone see any other errors? I did, afterall, post thi after 8 hours of work at 6AM lol.

Yup, "aduio," "afterall," "Youve," and, "thi". (lolololol)

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-13 19:01:05

At 11/13/11 12:36 PM, jpbear wrote:
At 11/13/11 03:50 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
That's bias, for that'll mean not having paid attention to the song itself. We're not expecting you to be Mr Nice Guy, but if you think that person didn't deserve entry, substantiate your argument with something much more musically technical than 'You didn't deserve it'. Then, and only then, will we salute you for being much less biased.
I'm not a judge lol. He got his review, he doesnt need me to spell out why his track was unappealing and very amateur, it was a simple train wreck, sounds like the stuff i made within my first two months of production.

So I'll assume someone who dares mix genres and tries to be different sounds like a train wreck? Because if that's the case, you're being pretty disrespectful to the people who you know have tried.

FatKid gave his reviews, he pointed out the good and bad, but there's seriously no need for you to be an absolute prig.

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-13 19:05:07

At 11/13/11 06:09 PM, Rahmemhotep wrote: Also, there's no way I'm letting a, "professional," mix experimental music. I'd be on his back with a scythe the entire time he'd be doing it.

Spot-on. Case in point for people who do experimental. Anything that sounds like a train wreck would 1) be plain discord, 2) have enough static to make it sound like an earthquake, 3) disregard every single musical technicality. Metal may not be my cup of tea (and TBH, it is not), but it has musical technicality.

So with all due respect, anyone who wants to speak out against these people who know their genre, know the (somewhat limited) hardware they use and have still tried should try do so with someone their size.

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-13 19:22:26

I completley agree with you Rahmen. You pretty much covered what I was trying to say in a more detailed manner. Also, no disrespect was intended. I don't know if you know how to master a track or not. I only assumed based on the equalization of the track. And by "professional" I simply mean anyone who is a pro at mastering and equalizing. I suck at mastering, so I run it by a few of my favorite audio friends here on the forums as they give me great tips on how to fix my sounds. Most of the literal professionals master based on mainstream ideals, which usually means making it sound flat as fuck, so all the great experimental bits are practically ruined. Believe me... i am the king of experimental music lol. I make freakin progressive ambient tracks that describe the mind deteriorating into insanity hahaha. I still think there was clipping on those high hats, but it may be because the MP3 ruined some of your frequencies. Thanks for your reply.

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-13 19:24:34

Rahmem ***

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-13 21:50:22

At 11/13/11 07:22 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Believe me... i am the king of experimental music lol.

Trololo and let the flame wars commence!!!!!

JK

I do a lot of experimental musics, most all of it never will see the light of online day. But if they don't want you to have the mix/master messed with, at least let the people try to make it more clear, and if it isn't to the original persons liking, i guess leave it like that?

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-13 21:58:39

I have a question for fatkid, I assume we are going to send in WAVs to you at some point right? Also, what is the plan for mastering these albums, or is it in the air at the moment. I'd like to do a final mix down of my track one last time seeing as you said you had some clipping issues with my track. Another look over wouldn't hurt.

also thanks for ignoring my t-shirt design :c

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-13 22:55:20

At 11/13/11 07:01 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
So I'll assume someone who dares mix genres and tries to be different sounds like a train wreck? Because if that's the case, you're being pretty disrespectful to the people who you know have tried.

FatKid gave his reviews, he pointed out the good and bad, but there's seriously no need for you to be an absolute prig.

Lol i said his song was unattractive and amateur, nothing else. And it was, as evident by the musically intelligent judge's decisions.

Way to start insulting. Really hurt my feelings bro.

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 00:42:43

At 11/13/11 09:58 PM, SineRider wrote: I have a question for fatkid, I assume we are going to send in WAVs to you at some point right? Also, what is the plan for mastering these albums, or is it in the air at the moment. I'd like to do a final mix down of my track one last time seeing as you said you had some clipping issues with my track. Another look over wouldn't hurt.

also thanks for ignoring my t-shirt design :c

I will send a message out to all winners here pretty soon. I've been busy working at Apple so I haven't been able to do all that much towards the project these paste couple of days. Basically, you will all have about a week to send me a WAV of your track. I think that we can all do our own mastering here, but if there are issues I am sure we can have MrMilkCarton, an expert at these sorts of things, help with mastering certain tracks that need it. Right now the best of the best don't really need all that much mastering, if any! So we shouldn't have to worry TO MUCH about that sort of thing.

Just to clarify...

Im working on seeing if I can get shirts out for free.

I am working with the art portal to see who wants to do album art for the 3 albums we are releasing *we combined the heartwarming and chill album due to the lack of entries for both categories*

We should decide a charity

I'll put together a demo track of each album once I have the track list down *and by all means offer suggestions*

Im trying to get in contact with Tom to decide when this will hit the store.

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 01:59:23

Woah dude all three of my songs made it AND got 10/10!?

Thank you so much Fatkid; it's a serious honor to be a part of this CD :D

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 02:04:58

At 11/14/11 01:59 AM, XsakuX wrote: Woah dude all three of my songs made it AND got 10/10!?

Didn't read any reviews myself but three songs got in and they all got 10/10. That's pretty awesome.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 02:19:26

At 11/14/11 02:04 AM, J-Rex wrote:
At 11/14/11 01:59 AM, XsakuX wrote: Woah dude all three of my songs made it AND got 10/10!?

Didn't read any reviews myself but three songs got in and they all got 10/10. That's pretty awesome.

Right? super stoked :]

Hey Fatkidwitajetpack, I took my third submission "Dawn V.2" off of the audio portal ( sorry about that dude, definitely not trying to get myself disqualified ><;; )

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 07:00:36

At 11/13/11 10:55 PM, jpbear wrote:

Lol i said his song was unattractive and amateur, nothing else. And it was, as evident by the musically intelligent judge's decisions.

Now you are feeling exactly what is felt by those who have tried, failed, and you outright claim that they sound like train wrecks. I suggest you don't do that ever again, and we'll end this petty discussion here.

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 07:27:46

Wait, wasn't it said that only one song per artist is allowed?

Also, FKWAJP why did you delete some of the wip's and some not?

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 08:33:37

This is starting to amuse me, in a wicked way.
There's no "amateur", and there's no "professional". It's just sound waves mixed together, no matter how they're mixed. I think scores just make people confuse even more, since any given value cannot mean the same thing when applied to another context. Back to our topic though, you could have at least tried to be more diplomatic, while giving some tips on how to improve a specific part of a track and being a little more helpful. That's your opinion, sure, but think about the consequences of your actions next time, instead of stomping people's efforts like you did for no reason.

The End.

Three songs? What's happening here? o.o

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 08:55:07

Poopr1221 8/10

Everything is better with chaotic glitch. :3

I'm a huge fan of this guy's most recent Audio portal submission and can't wait to hear the song he made specifically for this contest. Underrated as hell, and I feel the difficulty of following the mad break manipulations and expert knob-twiddling in his tracks just adds to it all.

Prose and gone...

furry

filler

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 09:15:56

At 11/14/11 07:27 AM, adsubzero wrote:

We mentioned somewhere in the thread that we'd take more than one track. If someone has the ability to produce more than one track, then there is no reason we should stop them. This guy pretty much blew us all away and we agreed the cd certainly could use his tracks. If you notice, we have "34" winner instead of "30". no winners were taken away. Next year, however, we will only allow one per user.

And i just didnt delete all WIPs cause I missed a few and was to lazy to delete them lol.

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 09:42:55

At 11/14/11 09:15 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: We mentioned somewhere in the thread that we'd take more than one track. If someone has the ability to produce more than one track, then there is no reason we should stop them. This guy pretty much blew us all away and we agreed the cd certainly could use his tracks. If you notice, we have "34" winner instead of "30". no winners were taken away. Next year, however, we will only allow one per user.

And i just didnt delete all WIPs cause I missed a few and was to lazy to delete them lol.

Hmmm... Well, good for him. XD
And by "next year" I assume you're going to repeat this contest, or organize something else?

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 09:44:47

At 11/14/11 09:15 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: something

Hmm, okay, seems that I missed that part.

Btw, of course you could use my song in a mix.
I am really glad you felt that way when listening to it.
Thanks

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 09:53:21

Oh sweet thanks man. Im djing up at Missouri for a show and would love to mix in a few of these awesome NG tracks in there. There is a lot of amazing talent here.

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 14:09:02

At 11/14/11 08:33 AM, KKSlider60 wrote:
At 11/13/11 07:01 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Stuff.
More stuff.
There's no "amateur", and there's no "professional". It's just sound waves mixed together, no matter how they're mixed. I think scores just make people confuse even more, since any given value cannot mean the same thing when applied to another context. Back to our topic though, you could have at least tried to be more diplomatic, while giving some tips on how to improve a specific part of a track and being a little more helpful. That's your opinion, sure, but think about the consequences of your actions next time, instead of stomping people's efforts like you did for no reason.

THANK YOU, KKSLIDER. T_T Really, thank you so much. That comment was very timely, and I'd like to add on to what you've said, just to finish everything:

(prepare for wall of text)

Every participant there has had songs which have scores between a low 4 and a high 4. It doesn't matter what kind of experience each one has. It doesn't matter if they've had anything below that, because ultimately, it only goes to show that they have the potential for great things, if people have liked their work. So they go and take part in the CD project. Granted, some people will win, huzzah! They are good, and they deserve their kudos. ^_^ All their experience and their knowledge have paid off. But there are some people who will lose out, for one reason or another. That does not warrant a stock comment that they do not deserve any taste of victory.

The very fact that they took part suggests that they have a position of strength. We have to bear in mind that this CD project is a community project. BECAUSE this is a community project, we're all in this together. FatKid was kind to give us constructive criticism, no matter how nice or scathing it was, and he was right to do so. Because people need to know their position of strength to improve and build up on their skills.

Therefore, not only is claiming a song to be an outright 'train wreck' disrespectful, rude and ABSOLUTELY PRIGGISH, it also takes away from the spirit of the community project. Such behaviour shall not be dealt with. I tend to be careful with my criticism, but I will NOT, and I WILL ABSOLUTELY NOT, mince my words as far as behaviour is concerned. I have called you a prig, rightly because you behaved like a prig. And I will not recant those words until we see some better conduct on your part. I must love each user on Newgrounds, but in doing so, I must do the right thing, and that also includes 1) not being a doormat when one person insults everyone else, 2) admonishing someone who misbehaves.

There are winners and losers, but we are a team. We are Newgrounds. I'm sure FatKid and KKSlider, at the very least, will agree with me over the fact that support is needed from users, if they want to grow. We could disregard your pitiful comments if we needed to, but especially not for the Newgrounds CD, and especially not after the results have been released.

And if you think your feelings are hurt, bruv, you struck a really low blow calling people's works train wrecks. You're not the only one who has a sensitivity. Everyone else does. And that you have hurt mine only makes it an even lower blow. I'm not a bro, I'm a sis, thank you very much.

I rest my case.

On that note, thank you, FatKid, for making known this project to all of us. I enjoyed it very much. <3

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 14:19:37

I agree with everything you just said. I really wish more people would understand the meaning behind these contests. Everyone here worked really hard at putting it together, and it personally makes me feel attacked when certain users complain over the results of the contest, but that's something that is rarely avoided in these sorts of things because there are usually people that get saddened a bit if they don't win.

Anyway, him calling his work a "train wreck" was pretty much a troll post. If you notice the user who submitted it didn't even reply, because he probably doesn't give a fuck and/or hasn't checked back to the thread, lol. There are trolls on this site. I have seen people come into the voice acting competition and claim it is completely pointless and shitty, and then when the results come out they continue to do so, and it actually is pretty entertaining, unless of course you take their words to heart.

I am personally very happy with the results to this contest. Hopefully the CD will be just as successful! Even if it, for some reason, isn't successful, this community project was VERY fun and everyone here got a bit of experience to boot!

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 14:35:14

At 11/14/11 09:15 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:
At 11/14/11 07:27 AM, adsubzero wrote:

We mentioned somewhere in the thread that we'd take more than one track. If someone has the ability to produce more than one track, then there is no reason we should stop them. This guy pretty much blew us all away and we agreed the cd certainly could use his tracks. If you notice, we have "34" winner instead of "30". no winners were taken away. Next year, however, we will only allow one per user.

Thanks again Fatkid (and all the other judges) for your votes/ positive feedback *^^*.
This experience is completely surreal to me, and I'm beyond honored to hear so many good things about my submissions. :']

You guys are too kind ^_^

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 17:29:13

At 11/14/11 08:33 AM, KKSlider60 wrote:

The End.

Why have audio engineers always existed then?

The good ol "you cant really judge music" argument.

Always gives a good chuckle.

Now the "you cant judge a mix argument", that is just hilarious.

Some people need a swift kick in the butt, i supplied it. And the OP whined and criticized this generous, cool, and well-run contest and left, I couldnt respond in a "kinder" way if i wanted to. He didnt deserve a kinder response in any way.

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 17:41:45

At 11/14/11 02:09 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Holyshit massive lots of stuff

Thank you, this is exactly what needed to be said. Furthermore, I think this issue has been distracting us from discussing more important things, like what charity we want to donate to. I politely submit that we take this as a final comment on the matter, shut the f*ck up about it, and move on.

Most recent release: [ Stephanie ]

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 17:50:37

Agreed.

Let's go ahead and go over he next issues over in the discussion thread:

- Album art for the three final albums.

- Should we get someone to master the tracks or
should users do it themselves?

- Is it cool if I mix the previews to be submitted to NG? (I'm a DJ so I've got
some experience)

- Any idea on how I can print these shirts for really cheap lol. I can't afford to give 34 shirts away D:

- CHARITY DAMMIT

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 18:11:08

At 11/14/11 05:50 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: - Should we get someone to master the tracks or
should users do it themselves?

I think we'll need to do at least a little mastering done all by one person, at the very least to make each album have a consistent volume from track to track, so you don't have to fiddle with your volume knob or have your ear drums burst every time you switch tracks while listening.

- Is it cool if I mix the previews to be submitted to NG? (I'm a DJ so I've got
some experience)

I'd be totally ok with this, in fact I would be willing to post an album preview to my soundcloud, if you make one, to advertise it to my 3600+ followers. Provided that's cool with you.

- Any idea on how I can print these shirts for really cheap lol. I can't afford to give 34 shirts away D:

I'm not sure they do custom prints, and if they do they probably won't be just six dollars... I'd check that, except I'm on my phone atm. Anyways, check out 6dollarshirts. Chances are you'll at least get a discount for an order that size. Also, I know I'd be willing to pay for a shirt either way, and I'm probably not the only one.

- CHARITY DAMMIT

I suggested a bunch of good ones a while back, I'll repost them for consideration once I get home.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 19:12:37

Next time I wont stick up for this contest when someone is making ridiculous assertions against it. People over-read intentions so much, its the reason i don't enjoy writing anything mildly important on the internet.

That said,

BMI (bad-man-incorporated), Mrmilkarton, and another couple people on here master tracks for free i believe.
Asking one to handle a CD each could be possible, but its a lot of volunteer work on the engineer's part. Not to mention i doubt many people in this contest know how to prepare a track for an engineer. Paying for an engineer unless he agrees to some discount rate seems rather out of question. Starting a kick starter to raise funds for mastering would be a nice try.

NG Mix sounds cool.

Who needs another shirt, CDs for charity anyways.

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 19:58:41

ajfdk I'm feeling too lazy to write something new out for this list, so I'm just copy-pasting this from back when I posted the list originally:

Right off, I don't think that it should be a charity that's local to anywhere in particular - i.e. it would be more appropriate to choose a charity that focuses on international work, since the participants of this project are from all over the place. Personally, I'm from Canada, and there are a lot of good international charities I hear about all the time simply because they're based in Canada. Some good examples would be:

UNICEF
OXFAM
Amnesty
Borderless World Volunteers
Feed The Children
CANFAR
Street Kids

I'm not saying we should just choose from Canadian-based charities, just that the charities we choose should be aimed at making a difference on a more global scale, like in the examples I gave above.

Also, it would be a good idea to consider donating to multiple charities, rather than just one. Although I assume this has already occurred to many of you.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Cd 2011 Project Results! 2011-11-14 20:42:18

What about something like Child's Play? or maybe even a MUSIC related charity. I KNOW they exist.