00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

sevnox just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

American Football Discussion

295,495 Views | 4,005 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-11-27 14:17:48

It's nice to know that even though Cincinnati completely sucks with their college and NFL football team, I can always rely on OSU to do well. Go Bucks! This game is ours!

American Football Discussion

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-11-27 17:17:02

I like how Cinci had a good year last year for once, and the first thing they do is pawn their head coach to ND. So stupid. If Oakland wins against Miami this weekend, I'm buying tickets for the season ender in KC. Really hoping that one decides the division. Never been to an NFL game, and that would definitely be an epic one to pop the cherry with. Haha.

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-11-27 17:18:21

Lol, Northwestern with 5 turnovers in the first half

49-17 at halftime

Good times

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-11-27 23:01:37

At 11/27/10 02:06 AM, reverend wrote: Somebody put the Boise State kicker on suicide watch. Two missed FG? Ouch.

Yep, he went all Scott Norwood on those kicks too. Frankly, I said that they won't be in a national title game, even if they do go undefeated. Now I guess there going to either the Humanitarian Bowl, Feed the Hungry Bowl, or some other "feel good" bowl game. TCU will probably end up going to the Rose bowl and get wiped out by Wisconsin, which in the end, proves my theory that they both need to join a power conference if they want to truly compete with the big boys.

You can't live off your Fiesta Bowl win over Oklahoma forever, Broncos.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-11-27 23:06:10

At 11/25/10 01:24 PM, EternitySpent wrote:

Week 12:

Patriots > Lions.
Saints > Cowboys
Jets > Bengals

Browns > Panthers
Texans > Titans
Giants > Jaguars
Falcons > Packers
Vikings > Redskins
Steelers > Bills
Raiders > Dolphins
Chiefs > Seahawks
Broncos > Rams
Ravens > Buccaneers
Bears > Eagles
Chargers > Colts
Cardinals > 49ers

A friend in need is a friend indeed, but a friend with weed is better.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-11-27 23:54:21

At 11/27/10 02:17 PM, puddinN64 wrote: It's nice to know that even though Cincinnati completely sucks with their college and NFL football team, I can always rely on OSU to do well. Go Bucks! This game is ours!

We all know how this will end up:

1. Ohio State "Wins" the Big Ten title, or shares a piece of the title.
2. End up in a BCS game up against an SEC team {South Carolina or Arkansas} and end up embrassing themselves {Ohio State} yet again.
3. ???
4. Profit!

Something tells me that Ohio State is going to be the Buffalo Bills, or at best the Atlanta Braves of college football, win a lot of regular season games, only to choke in the bowl games, it won't be any different this year. {Frankly, I was hoping that Ohio State would lose, so they wouldn't embrass themselves in a BCS bowl game again.}

As for the Cincinnati Bearcats, all I can say is that the bottom really fell out on the season. They went undefeated for 2 regular seasons, and then crashed and burned this year, which I'm a little surprised to see, considering how good the Bearcats were before and they still had a lot of talent from last year.

Please don't get me started on the Bengals, when we happen to have a worse record than the Browns {and almost everyone else, for that matter}, then everything is considered shit.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-11-28 11:01:30

At 11/27/10 11:54 PM, orangebomb wrote: As for the Cincinnati Bearcats, all I can say is that the bottom really fell out on the season. They went undefeated for 2 regular seasons, and then crashed and burned this year, which I'm a little surprised to see, considering how good the Bearcats were before and they still had a lot of talent from last year.

Simple, because Brian Kelly is a dirty whore. Cinci is my favorite basketball school, so it was nice to see them doing well in football. Then that sumbitch bailed.

Please don't get me started on the Bengals, when we happen to have a worse record than the Browns {and almost everyone else, for that matter}, then everything is considered shit.

I'd start backing up the Browns this year (behind the Raiders of course) if I was still living in Ohio. This kid is too much fun to watch.

As far as Boise State, they should've applied for the PAC-10 instead of the weak as MAC or whatever the hell conference they went to this year. They're TRYING to hide behind weak schedules and stay high in the rankings based off that. If they're not willing to risk losing games to the big boys, then they don't deserve to play in the big boy championship. And when they lose to the little kids (like Nevada), it should affect them in the rankings for years. Quit being pussies.

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-11-28 14:34:35

Sucks to be Carson Palmer, not to mention there's some slow minds on yahoo answers calling him a bust.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-11-28 16:49:07

Steve Johnson better watch his ass

Stupid fuck

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-11-28 19:17:43

My God, we actually beat the Eagles.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-11-28 19:30:33

At 11/28/10 07:17 PM, 36Holla wrote: My God, we actually beat the Eagles.

I called it

Just sayin'

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-11-28 23:05:59

At 11/28/10 11:01 AM, michelinman wrote:
At 11/27/10 11:54 PM, orangebomb wrote: As for the Cincinnati Bearcats, all I can say is that the bottom really fell out on the season. They went undefeated for 2 regular seasons, and then crashed and burned this year, which I'm a little surprised to see, considering how good the Bearcats were before and they still had a lot of talent from last year.
Simple, because Brian Kelly is a dirty whore. Cinci is my favorite basketball school, so it was nice to see them doing well in football. Then that sumbitch bailed.

Brian Kelly didn't know how good he had it with the Bearcats, a chance to win the piss poor Big East almost every year and get a BCS bowl bid if he would've stayed. Instead, he ends up at Notre Dame, a has been program that can't even beat Tulsa, yet they seem to kill cameramen, {alledgely.}

I'd start backing up the Browns this year (behind the Raiders of course) if I was still living in Ohio. This kid is too much fun to watch.

In theory, that would work. But the Browns have historically crashed and burned in December, with the exception of last year. Peyton Hillis is a good running back, I will admit that, but I can't really embrace the rest of the team because in the end, they seem to make stupid mistakes almost all the time. At least the Bears are doing well though.

As far as Boise State, they should've applied for the PAC-10 instead of the weak as MAC or whatever the hell conference they went to this year. They're TRYING to hide behind weak schedules and stay high in the rankings based off that.

Thank you, that's exactly what I keep saying for months. All Boise State does is play 1 or 2 big games, and then go play cupcakes. It would have been an embrassment if Boise State, Oregon and Auburn went undefeated, and either Oregon or Auburn got left out. Thank You, Nevada.

If they're not willing to risk losing games to the big boys, then they don't deserve to play in the big boy championship. And when they lose to the little kids (like Nevada), it should affect them in the rankings for years. Quit being pussies.

If Boise State was so fucking good, why couldn't they go up against USC or a Michigan a few years ago? Because they don't want to be irrelevent in front of ESPN and the "underdog" bandwagoners, by getting thrashed against them.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-11-29 11:25:50

Boise State should take a tip from Utah and TCU, because both of them grew some balls and joined a major conference for all sports, but especially football. Although I don't really know why TCU joined the the Big East, considering they're located in Fort Worth, Texas and the closest road game would be either Louisville or South Florida. Then again, the Dallas Cowboys play in the NFC East, so this isn't the first time that football is a little more important than geography.

Speaking of Texas, I lol'd at Cortland Finnegan's attempt to pick a fight with Andre Johnson last night. The dirtiest CB in the league got his ass whooped by Johnson, and the Titans end up getting shut out in Houston, something I thought would never happen, because the Texans' defense is shitty at best. I don't think that Johnson should be suspended at all, If he was fined, I would be fine with that {pardon the pun.}

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-11-29 13:02:08

Cortland Finnegan is a pimple on the NFL landscape's ass. I understand the advantage of getting in your opponents head, but not when it's going to cause distractions, penalties, etc, and especially not after Andre Johnson has scored a TD on you.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-11-29 17:38:47

At 11/29/10 01:02 PM, 36Holla wrote: Cortland Finnegan is a pimple on the NFL landscape's ass. I understand the advantage of getting in your opponents head, but not when it's going to cause distractions, penalties, etc, and especially not after Andre Johnson has scored a TD on you.

It's a shame guys like him get all the recognition when you have top flight corners like Terrance Mcgee, who held Brandon Marshall to only 75 yards on 11 receptions and no TDs in Week 1, get no respect.

It's hard out there being a corner, even though you're one of the best athletes on the field.

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-11-29 23:05:45

At 11/29/10 05:38 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
At 11/29/10 01:02 PM, 36Holla wrote: Cortland Finnegan is a pimple on the NFL landscape's ass. I understand the advantage of getting in your opponents head, but not when it's going to cause distractions, penalties, etc, and especially not after Andre Johnson has scored a TD on you.
It's a shame guys like him get all the recognition when you have top flight corners like Terrance Mcgee, who held Brandon Marshall to only 75 yards on 11 receptions and no TDs in Week 1, get no respect.

That may be, but at the same side of the coin, Buffalo's defense is a hair above a UFL defense, and having only 2 wins doesn't help Mcgee's cause at all. If your a good defensive player on a horrible defense like Mcgee, then very few people are going to care, fair or not.

Speaking of the Bills, Steve Johnson had the worst Sunday in his life, dropping easy passes including what would have been a GW catch. I'm sorry, but your being paid millions to catch that ball, not choke and then blame God for your screwup. Johnson would be lucky if he is still with the Bills next year, because you can't drop a gimme game winner in the clutch in the NFL, and expect to still have a job. We'll probably see him in either the CFL or UFL soon.

Randy Shannon has been fired from Miami {FL}, and frankly, I knew that was going to happen sooner than later. In the bizzare world of college football, BCS apperences and wins seems to matter more than graduation rates, and Miami {FL} is the best example I can think of where football comes before everything else. It wasn't long ago that the Hurricanes were one of the best teams in the nation almost every year, and now they have crashed and burned.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-11-30 00:50:28

IDK BRO I think having a secondary ranked 9th in Pass Defense while at the same time making almost all the tackles on Run D is fairly impressive.

Also, Steve Johnson had a bad game, and I'll be the first to admit I was infuriated with his drops. That doesn't change the fact that he has 7TDs on the season and is easily the best target on the team. If players got released for a bad game then Reggie Wayne wouldn't be a Colt today.

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-11-30 02:00:25

yup, everyone deserves the second chance

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-11-30 14:26:35

I'm still highly dissapointed that Denver lost to a team like St. Louis. They really need to make some major changes starting with the coach and start making these changes soon. Cause their season may already be over but they can at least salvage what's left by getting a W against easy teams like St. Louis. All I can hope for is that next year will be a lot better. Of course really anything could be better then their shitty preformance this year. But regardless still have to stand by my team no matter how bad the coach or how bad the season turns out.

When life gives you lemons, be glad it didn't give you herpes.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-11-30 23:16:44

At 11/30/10 02:26 PM, Pandamir wrote: I'm still highly dissapointed that Denver lost to a team like St. Louis. They really need to make some major changes starting with the coach and start making these changes soon. Cause their season may already be over but they can at least salvage what's left by getting a W against easy teams like St. Louis. All I can hope for is that next year will be a lot better. Of course really anything could be better then their shitty preformance this year. But regardless still have to stand by my team no matter how bad the coach or how bad the season turns out.

I know one thing for sure, Josh McDaniels is going to be fired, either now {which is doubtful} or at the end of the season. The defense is old and pathetic, and the running game is worthless, {Should've held on to Hillis.} Brandon Llyod is a pretty good WR, but I don't trust Kyle Orton very much at all, he tends to go hot and cold during the season, and Tim Tebow is a virtual question mark at QB, because of his limited uses around the end zone. Don't forget about the disasterous trades over the last few years, {Hillis, Marshall, Cutler} that ended up with egg on the Broncos' faces.

As for Steve Johnson, I may have come off as a little harsh before, but as I said before, you can't miss a gimme GW catch like that, against the Steelers no less, and expect to hang on to the job. Don't compare his situation with Reggie Wayne, because Wayne has produced before, {he has a quiet season this year overall}, and I can trust Wayne {when healthy} to make the big catch in the clutch. I'm afraid that next time they are in that situation, Fitzpatrick would probably think twice before throwing the ball to him, considering what happened before.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-12-01 00:11:20

At 11/30/10 06:18 PM, Gooch wrote: Is anyone as glad as I am to see Dwayne Bowe finally explode the way he's been? I know he's always had the potential to, but he always lacked discipline. Now that he's completely sold on Todd Haley's system, he's doing damage like there's no tomorrow.

Well, it also helps that Kansas City's running game is still #1 in the league, too. :D

The Chiefs are now in a zen on offense because they have found something all teams strive for. The running game is the top attack in the league and they have two of the best backs in the league.

However, what I'm talking about is the sheer comparability between Cassel and Bowe. Cassel may not be the top QB or Bowe the top WR, but the two are so in synch that they cannot be stopped.

On Offense the Chiefs are incredibly dangerous now.

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-12-01 06:43:19

At 11/30/10 11:16 PM, orangebomb wrote: I know one thing for sure, Josh McDaniels is going to be fired, either now {which is doubtful} or at the end of the season. The defense is old and pathetic, and the running game is worthless, {Should've held on to Hillis.} Brandon Llyod is a pretty good WR, but I don't trust Kyle Orton very much at all, he tends to go hot and cold during the season, and Tim Tebow is a virtual question mark at QB, because of his limited uses around the end zone. Don't forget about the disasterous trades over the last few years, {Hillis, Marshall, Cutler} that ended up with egg on the Broncos' faces.

Eh, the Kyle Orton trade has worked out pretty good for them, but not even the wisest of football scholars would've thought that trade was a smart one. Especially considering the reason behind it. Cutlers attitude. Well Cutlers attitude is as ridiculous as always, but the Bears are still one game behind being the best team in the NFC, while the Broncs are chillin behind the Raiders in the AFC West.

Other than that, getting rid of Hillis was just stupidity on the coaching staffs part. They thought he could only be a solid fullback and that Knowshon (sp?) Moreno was a guy who could instantly come in and make an impact. Wrong on both counts. Getting rid of someone who caught 18 passes in one game the year before is retarded as well. All in all, without McDaniels, the Broncos would have a great QB (one way or the other) throwing the ball to a revived Brandon Lloyd who has been playing amazing (he's beat triple coverage a few times this year) and Brandon Marshall, always one of the best in the NFL. That's a two-headed monster from hell. Then you've got Peyton Hillis at running back, and with the offense set that well, you could spend the last couple drafts bulking up your defense. The Broncos could easily be Super Bowl contenders. Instead, they've got a great every down QB with two highly recognizable backups. No run game, and instant triple coverage for their one good receiver. As a Raiders fan, I've really enjoyed sitting down with a bag of popcorn watching it all unfold on sportscenter. If McDaniels isn't gone at the end of this year, I'd bet any sum of money the Broncos crash so bad, it takes at least 5 years to get back to a playoff caliber team.

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-12-01 10:19:02

Generally I disagree with most of the recent points made here, except that Bowe is a beast. Anyways, some refutations:

Reggie Wayne is 4th in the NFL in receiving yards, I wouldn't exactly call that a quiet season.

Steve Johnson had a bad game. It was a really bad game, but Buffalo should be used to piss poor performances from their players by now. One game doesn't change the fact that he's the only receiver who has shown anything at all on that team for most of the season.

Kyle Orton has 3370 passing yards (1st in NFL) and a 20:6 TD:INT ratio, which is comparable to, and in most cases better than he NFL's elite:
Brees - 23:15
Rivers - 23:9
Manning - 22:11
Rodgers - 20:9
Brady - 23:4
Other Manning - 23:16

Personally I would still probably take Culter given the choice, but Orton has been very, very good, he is the last person to blame for what is wrong with Denver. More the lack of a consistent running game, and no defense.

However, Moreno actually hasn't been too bad either, other than the fact that he seems quite fumble prone, but that is hardly a unique trait in young RB's. Dude is deadly coming out of the backfield as a receiver, but at this point I don't know if he is an every down feature back.

Aaaand, Thursday night game:
Eagles > Texans

A friend in need is a friend indeed, but a friend with weed is better.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-12-01 16:05:02

Well the Texans play the Eagles tomorrow and really I think the Eagles will pull the W off in that game because Vick will most likely have a comeback game. But who knows it might turn out to be a close game but will just have to wait and see. But with the Texans pass defense as weak as it is I don't see then putting up much threat against Vick.

When life gives you lemons, be glad it didn't give you herpes.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-12-01 17:11:01

I've always figured that the Broncos' success in the passing game was attributed to their coordinators and the system they have there.

I mean, Cutler is sub par in Chicago compared to what he was doing in Denver, the same can be said of Orton.

For a while now the Broncos have shuffled between prolific passer one after the other with guys like Plummer, Cutler, throwing for over 4000 yards multiple times and now Orton looking to follow that trend.

If anything they should stop worrying about QB's and start building a passable defense and a running game.

As for the Thursday Night game, I find the Texans to vulnerable to cope with Vick. VIck faced off against a tough Chicago defense on the road and still put up decent numbers. The Texans are a field day for a talented passer and dynamic runner like Vick.

So Eagles > Texans

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-12-01 22:58:49

There are some rumors that Andre Johnson wasn't going to be suspended, because he and the Texans play Thursday night on the NFL Network, and they don't want to lose any of their limelight star players. Not that I care about this very much, but I find it a little bizzare and maybe even hypocritical on the NFL's part, what with the discipline and all that good stuff.

As for my game pick, I'm going with the Eagles big, even with Andre Johnson back, the Texans still have a lot of problems with them, most notably their piss poor defense. This could possibly be a shootout early, but I see Vick and the Eagles pulling this out by the 3rd quarter or so.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-12-02 12:35:13

The differences between Cutler and Orton are minimal at best. Both need above-average o-lines to truly thrive, and if they don't have them, it's usually a disaster (Orton) or a sackfest (Cutler). Both have big arms but limited vision, both make some erratic decisions through the course of a game. Cutler has more upside, sure, but he only ever seems to show glimpses of it.

Part of Orton's success is his past work with Brandon Lloyd, as well. He's been the primary benefactor of Orton's fantastic season, whereas Cutler is just throwing to a trio of unheralded targets and a decent tight end in Olsen. Then again, by that same token, Cutler was the one who made Eddie Royal a legit receiver in the first place, and helped propel Baby T.O. to stardom in somewhat the same manner that Orton is doing for Brandon Lloyd this year (albeit with a lot less on-field success).

NFL is gettin' shit on left and right. James Harrison being unfairly (or fairly) profiled by refs, and then Mike Tomlin speaks out. Then Hines Ward calls the NFL hypocrites. Now Terrell Suggs weighs in:

"The league has their favorites. One being in Indy and one being with that other team up north [Patriots]. Besides those two, everybody is fair game. Some quarterbacks are getting the calls right away. Some quarterbacks they don't care.

Like I always said, Carson Palmer got hit in his knee in 2005 but there was no rule made. Then Tom Brady got hit in his knee and all of a sudden there is a rule and possible suspensions, excessive fines - it's just getting ridiculous."

"In this world // We walk on the roof of hell, // Gazing at flowers." -- Issa

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-12-02 14:21:04

Eagles over Texans tonight,i'll throw out the rest of the picks later on in the week.

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-12-02 15:40:46

I'll take the Eagles tonight.

Sorry for no list again, but classes are really piling up right now. Like I said before if you guys are fine without one for a little while then I'll make one when I can, but if you can't wait feel free to make one.

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-12-02 15:50:46

Houston at Philadelphia - Philly
New Orleans at Cincinnati - New Orleans
Chicago at Detroit - Chicago
San Francisco at Green Bay - Green Bay
Jacksonville at Tennessee - Jacksonville
Denver at Kansas City - Kansas City
Cleveland at Miami - Miami
Buffalo at Minnesota - Minnesota
Washington at NY Giants - Giants
Oakland at San Diego - San Diego
Carolina at Seattle - Seattle
Atlanta at Tampa Bay - Atlanta
St. Louis at Arizona - St. Louis
Dallas at Indianapolis - Indy
Pittsburgh at Baltimore - Baltimore
NY Jets at New England - New England

At 11/30/10 06:18 PM, Gooch wrote: Is anyone as glad as I am to see Dwayne Bowe finally explode the way he's been?

Not unless there's any other KC fans here ;) He always had the potential for it, but it took just one week where everything went the right way to make it happen. How he proceeds from this point is what is most interesting.

At 12/1/10 05:11 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: I've always figured that the Broncos' success in the passing game was attributed to their coordinators and the system they have there.

I mean, Cutler is sub par in Chicago compared to what he was doing in Denver, the same can be said of Orton.

It has more to do with the actual on field personnel. Denver's O Line has been better than Chicago's which is the first step in letting QBs do well. Denver also has a squad of proven and varied WR's that can hurt you in almost any possible way at any part of the field (Short, deep, middle of the field, etc.) Chicago's receiving corp is developing but is not as versatile, and their O Line is old. This is why you can have Cutler and Orton basically swap roles from one year to the next.

BBS Signature