00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tshtsh17 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

American Football Discussion

296,574 Views | 4,005 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-12-27 16:58:29

At 12/27/09 04:52 PM, phileeguy wrote:
Good question. But they just didn't get beat, they got crushed. Hell of a way to play your last game at the Meadowlands.

Also a wall banger right there as well

Pathetic.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-12-27 20:23:22

It's official, there won't be a perfect season for another season.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-12-27 21:39:08

At 12/27/09 08:23 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: It's official, there won't be a perfect season for another season.

Well, at least we wont have to put up with Mercury Morris for another year or so.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-12-27 22:44:44

At 12/27/09 04:47 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
At 12/27/09 04:17 PM, reverend wrote: Apparently the Saints didn't learn anything from their lost last week. Not looking good heading into the final week and playoffs.

Tampa Bay 20 New Orleans 17 F/OT
If the Tampa Bay trend keeps up, no Super Bowl win for the Saints.

To be fair, if the Saints had some one who could actually make a game winning field goal with :02 left, they'd still be undefeated.

Also how the fuck do you lose to the Panthers?
But still WTF?

Easy. The Giants have taken the place of the Eagles as the team who's really good, then really bad, then just good enough to break your heart in the playoffs.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-12-28 05:28:48

saints remind me of last year's titans for some reason, taking foot off pedal after losing unbeaten streak then forgetting to put it back on in playoffs.

sick sweat in tonight's game in fantasy, me vs. whoever CFL BOIII is, i have a 15 point start + shiancoe versus that fucker brett favre

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-12-28 08:32:33

At 12/28/09 05:28 AM, jonthomson wrote: whoever CFL BOIII is,

He's my buddy, I got him in at the last minute so we wouldn't have any gay bye week shit, with an uneven number of teams.

Anyway, I completely don't understand the lay down and die tactic employed by the Colts. I can appreciate not wanting to put players in a position to be injured, but this is a special case. When you have a chance at something that has only ever been done 1 and a half times in the history of the sport, you have to go for it.

Losing an unbeaten season on a mistake or a poor effort like what happened to New Orleans did is one thing, but to just slam the breaks when you are in cruise control is something else entirely.

I watched the post game interview because I had to see the coaches rationalization and when he was all like "It was never our goal to go undefeated", all I could think was 'Really?'; isn't the point of sport to try and win every game? Every cliche adage I ever heard has always been: "Play every game like it is your last.", "Give it 110%", etc. So unless I missed something it should be everyone's goal to go undefeated at the start of every season, the fact that few teams ever get that close, just reiterates to me that you have to go for it.

But then again, I never really liked the Colts, so I couldn't help but smile at the fans demoralized faces:

A friend in need is a friend indeed, but a friend with weed is better.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-12-29 06:51:27

Bears.

Week 16 Standings

Most Wins This Week:
phileeguy - 11 wins

Most Losses This Week:
jonthomson and reverend - 9 losses

[ Rank ] [ W - L ] [ Win% ] [ User, Prev. Rank ]
>>>01 ] [ 163 - 76 ] [ .682% ] [ TheBlackDahliaMurder, 2 ]
>>>02 ] [ 162 - 77 ] [ .678% ] [ reverend, 1 ]
>>>03 ] [ 161 - 78 ] [ .674% ] [ 36Holla, 3 ]
>>>04 ] [ 157 - 82 ] [ .657% ] [ Fro, 4 ]
>>>--- ] [ 157 - 82 ] [ .657% ] [ Molotov, 5 ]
>>>06 ] [ 154 - 85 ] [ .644% ] [ EternitySpent, 6 ]

>>>07 ] [ 29 - 12 ] [ .707% ] [ DELUCA2400, 7 ]
>>>08 ] [ 138 - 70 ] [ .663% ] [ TheThing, 8 ]
>>>09 ] [ 38 - 20 ] [ .655% ] [ idiot-buster, 10 ]
>>>10 ] [ 108 - 57 ] [ .655% ] [ phileeguy, 11]
>>>11 ] [ 58 - 31 ] [ .651% ] [ pepeatumi, 11 ]
>>>12 ] [ 26 - 14 ] [ .650% ] [ iBagel, 13]
>>>13 ] [ 143 - 80 ] [ .641% ] [ jonthomson, 9 ]
>>>--- ] [ 41 - 23 ] [ .641% ] [ SpiffyMasta, 14 ]
>>>15 ] [ 85 - 49 ] [ .634% ] [ Buddhist, 15]
>>>16 ] [ 131 - 76 ] [ .633% ] [ Tluck-Person, 16 ]
>>>17 ] [ 97 - 62 ] [ .610% ] [ michelinman, 17 ]
>>>18 ] [ 54 - 35 ] [ .607% ] [ Crashman, 18 ]
>>>19 ] [ 51 - 36 ] [ .586% ] [ SlntCobra1, 19 ]
>>>20 ] [ 13 - 14 ] [ .481% ] [ Shy2Authenik, 20 ]

Week 16 Rankings
phileeguy: 11-5
Buddhist: 10-6
Molotov: 10-6
36Holla: 10-6
EternitySpent: 10-6
Fro: 9-7
TheBlackDahliaMurder: 9-7
TheThing: 8-8
jonthomson: 7-9
reverend: 7- 9

Comments
* All the games this week are Sunday games.
* What do you think we should do for the playoffs? Should we do them week by week or go ahead an make all of our picks at once? Of course we would have to wait to make our final picks during the divisional round since the bracket aren't set until then.

Week 17 Schedule:
Indianapolis at Buffalo -
Jacksonville at Cleveland -
Chicago at Detroit -
San Francisco at St. Louis -
Pittsburgh at Miami -
NY Giants at Minnesota -
Atlanta at Tampa Bay -
New Orleans at Carolina -
New England at Houston -
Green Bay at Arizona -
Washington at San Diego -
Tennessee at Seattle -
Baltimore at Oakland -
Philadelphia at Dallas -
Kansas City at Denver -
Cincinnati at NY Jets -

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-12-29 08:37:27

Indianapolis at Buffalo - BUF
Jacksonville at Cleveland - JAX
Chicago at Detroit - CHI
San Francisco at St. Louis - SF
Pittsburgh at Miami - MIA
NY Giants at Minnesota - MIN
Atlanta at Tampa Bay - ATL
New Orleans at Carolina - CAR
New England at Houston - NE
Green Bay at Arizona - GB
Washington at San Diego - SD
Tennessee at Seattle - TEN
Baltimore at Oakland - BAL
Philadelphia at Dallas - DAL
Kansas City at Denver - DEN
Cincinnati at NY Jets - CIN

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-12-29 15:46:24

According to Peter King: Aaron Smith > Michael Strahan

Hines Ward > Marvin Harrison

I think I just got breast cancer from reading part of this article and I'm a dude...

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-12-30 02:53:41

Indy
JVille
Chicago
San Fran
Pittsburgh
Minny
ATL
Nawlins
NE
Philly
Denver
Baltimo'
GB
SD
Tennessee (also, i would like to see chris johnson get the ball 35 times to get those 234 yards)
Cincy

ps Oakland still sucks. Frye. bleh.

"In this world // We walk on the roof of hell, // Gazing at flowers." -- Issa

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-12-30 10:32:49

Week 17 Schedule:
Indianapolis at Buffalo - Colts
Jacksonville at Cleveland - Browns
Chicago at Detroit - Bears
San Francisco at St. Louis - 49ers
Pittsburgh at Miami - Steelers
NY Giants at Minnesota - Vikings
Atlanta at Tampa Bay - Falcons
New Orleans at Carolina - Saints
New England at Houston - Patriots
Green Bay at Arizona - Cardinals
Washington at San Diego - Chargers
Tennessee at Seattle - Titans
Baltimore at Oakland - Raiders
Philadelphia at Dallas - Cowboys
Kansas City at Denver - Broncos
Cincinnati at NY Jets - Bengals

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-12-30 13:26:43

At 12/27/09 10:44 PM, TheThing wrote: Easy. The Giants have taken the place of the Eagles as the team who's really good, then really bad, then just good enough to break your heart in the playoffs.

Except they won't be in the playoffs this season. And does this mean the Eagles have assumed the role of the Giants? Nah, who am I kidding, they're still the Eagles too. They might win a game or two this playoffs and exit again. Unless they lose to Dallas in week 17 but somehow go on a 2007 Giants run as visiting team each playoff round. Nah, that sounds silly too, they're definitely still the Eagles.

At 12/28/09 08:32 AM, EternitySpent wrote: I watched the post game interview because I had to see the coaches rationalization and when he was all like "It was never our goal to go undefeated", all I could think was 'Really?'; isn't the point of sport to try and win every game? Every cliche adage I ever heard has always been: "Play every game like it is your last.", "Give it 110%", etc. So unless I missed something it should be everyone's goal to go undefeated at the start of every season, the fact that few teams ever get that close, just reiterates to me that you have to go for it.

Agreed. But then again there's obviously that whole unwritten rule of "Do I play my starters if I don't have to?" Colts have already wrapped up as much playoff advantage as they need already, so they don't have to win anything until playoff time. As fans we would want to see our team win them all, but we don't want to see anyone get injured in the process, 'cuz then we'd be immediately on the other side of that coin and be yelling at each other "why did he let (insert name) play that long to get injured?" They should really amend their soundbytes from "play hard to try and win every game" to "play hard to win every game, unless the loss is irrelevant in terms of playoff seeding, then let's rest some guys." Still, you should try for 16-0 if you've got the chance to.

At 12/29/09 03:46 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: According to Peter King: Aaron Smith > Michael Strahan
Hines Ward > Marvin Harrison
I think I just got breast cancer from reading part of this article and I'm a dude...

Apparently King thinks Ward is the be-all-end-all of WR other than Moss this decade. He's good, but I don't know about that good. Frankly I'm tired of reading all these articles from sports reporters that want to be unique or trendy in that they don't pick the obvious choice for "best of" or whatever. Usually their pick is accompanied by bad reasoning too as they say something like "I know this person has more catches, or that person has more sacks, but this guy just feels like a better all-around player" when chances are they're not. I guess they just want to stir the pot to get people talking about what they wrote, and in this case Peter got his wish.

At 12/29/09 06:51 AM, reverend wrote: Most Wins This Week:
phileeguy - 11 wins

Wha? Me? Solo? I was sure I'd be at least tied by someone this week. Oh well, go me.

Comments
* All the games this week are Sunday games.

'Bout time. Damn Thursday games and oddball Friday and Saturday games.

* What do you think we should do for the playoffs? Should we do them week by week or go ahead an make all of our picks at once? Of course we would have to wait to make our final picks during the divisional round since the bracket aren't set until then.

We could do both just for fun. Doing it round by round makes sense in that everyone picks on each actual match-up in terms of who advanced, but it would be neat to see if anyone got close to a perfect bracket a la March Madness.

Week 17 Schedule:

Jesus. After last week, I honestly don't know who wins here. If the Colts were 15-0 I'd say Colts, but after the Caldwell debacle he could throw in back-up O-line guys the entire game along with Painter. Still, Colts are a better team, and maybe last week lit a fire in the guys, even the back-ups.
Colts

Cleveland has been playing well lately, and they're at home against an up an down Jags team. What the hell...
Cleveland

Chicago at Detroit -

I can actually see Detroit winning here as a let-down by the Bears after the Monday night game, but I don't really think it'll happen
Chicago

San Francisco

Pittsburgh at Miami -

No one really wants to play Pittsburgh right now
Pittsburgh

NY Giants at Minnesota -

Minnesota has to show up to try and get that 2 seed
Minnesota

Atlanta at Tampa Bay -

Atlanta

New Orleans

New England at Houston -

Another game I see the other team with a shot at winning, but...
New England

Green Bay at Arizona -

Arizona

San Diego

Tennessee at Seattle -

Back on that Chris Johnson horse
Tennessee

Baltimore at Oakland -

Baltimore

Philadelphia at Dallas -

Probably the game of the week. Might be grabbed by NBC, who knows. I'm picking with my perpetually broken heart here
Philadelphia

Kansas City at Denver -

Denver

Cincinnati at NY Jets -

Cincinnati

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-12-30 15:36:23

Chad Ochocinco is ready for Darrelle Revis, with a touchdown celebration planned for the Meadowlands.

The chatty Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver took some playful shots at the Jets cornerback in an entertaining conference call with the New York media Wednesday, saying Revis couldn't cover him "in a brown paper bag on a corner of a Manhattan street inside a phone booth." The friends are expected to be matched up during the game Sunday night.

Ochocinco said he has a scoring celebration planned in which he'll make like Fireman Ed, a regular at Jets games, by putting on a Bengals firefighter's helmet and sitting on the goal post or one of his linemen's shoulders to quiet the crowd.

Gotta love 8-5 and his antics. Should be a good matchup too; Darrelle Revis is pretty much the only reason I'll even watch Jets highlights, let alone a game.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-12-30 15:58:12

In college news, poor poor now former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach. What's one of the best ways you can thing of punishing a concussed player? Put him in a dark equipment shed. I'm sure the university and prospective recruits were thrilled to hear that.

Story

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-12-30 22:56:01

At 12/30/09 01:26 PM, phileeguy wrote:
At 12/27/09 10:44 PM, TheThing wrote: Easy. The Giants have taken the place of the Eagles as the team who's really good, then really bad, then just good enough to break your heart in the playoffs.
Except they won't be in the playoffs this season.

At the time of the post, the Giants still had a shot at the playoffs. and they've been doing this the last few years.

And does this mean the Eagles have assumed the role of the Giants? Nah, who am I kidding, they're still the Eagles too.

Still inconsistent (watch out for dem Raiders!), but they are starting to look better. I guess because McNabb and Reid are going to be gone in a few years, and they know it.

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-01-02 09:54:46

Speaking of Leach and the Raiders, Michael Silver had an idea that at first sounds a little crazy, but is followed with rationalization that makes me think of how Alex Smith has had his career revived by the 49ers moving to the spread offense just for him (even if he still is mediocre, it's better than nada).

Now that Mike Leach has been fired by Texas Tech, and Al Davis is probably a few days away from whipping out the ol' overhead projector for the inevitable press conference to fire Tom Cable, has anyone considered the notion that this could be a professional marriage made in heaven? That's right - Mike Leach as the next coach of the Raiders, and I am being completely serious.

Think about it: The Raiders have an abysmal offense and are trying to salvage the career of a former No. 1 overall draft pick, quarterback JaMarcus Russell. Leach is an innovative offensive mind who has made prolific passers out of far less talented QBs. Davis is a big-time meddler, but he has also worked best with headstrong head coaches who aren't afraid to be their own men. Leach, as recent events confirm, would fit that mold. Further, as Leach proved this week, he, too, is not afraid to lawyer up, and both will soon be intimately familiar with the nuances of the term "with cause."

Finally, Leach has a well-documented thing for pirates. Can you imagine how much he'd fun he'd have in an eye patch?

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-01-02 10:22:19

Week 17 Winners:
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Chicago Bears
San Francisco 49ers
Pittsburgh Steelers
Minnesota Vikings
Atlanta Falcons
New Orleans Saints
New England Patriots
Dallas Cowboys
Denver Broncos
Baltimore Ravens
Green Bay Packers
San Diego Chargers
Tennessee Titans
Cincinnati Bengals

A friend in need is a friend indeed, but a friend with weed is better.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-01-02 11:44:04

At 12/29/09 06:51 AM, reverend wrote:
Comments

No special comment for me saying that I was the only one to pick the Jets?

Week 17 Schedule:

The Colts should win with even their backups.

Colts

Jacksonville needs to win.

Jags

Chicago at Detroit -

Chicago

San Fran

Pittsburgh at Miami -

Pittsburgh

NY Giants at Minnesota -

Minnesota

Atlanta at Tampa Bay -

Atlanta

Carolina

New England at Houston -

New England

Green Bay at Arizona -

Green Bay

San Diego

Tennessee at Seattle -

Titans

Baltimore at Oakland -

Ravens

Philadelphia at Dallas -

Philly

Kansas City at Denver -

Denver

Cincinnati at NY Jets -

Bengals

(This was a hard pick for me)

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-01-02 16:12:45

At 1/2/10 09:54 AM, Buddhist wrote: Speaking of Leach and the Raiders. . .

Interesting and I was thinking about that too, but I think Leach is more of a college coach. His gimmick offense will be no match against the defenses in the NFL where they can rush four and drop eight to cover the spread. Most likely he'll wait until the ax falls at somewhere like Colorado, Arizona State, or Illinois and go there.

At 1/2/10 11:44 AM, Fro wrote: No special comment for me saying that I was the only one to pick the Jets?

When you mention it, I should not count it since the Colts basically threw that game. :P

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-01-03 03:17:45

Week 17 Schedule:
Indianapolis at Buffalo - Colts
Jacksonville at Cleveland - Jaguars
Chicago at Detroit - Bears
San Francisco at St. Louis - 49ers
Pittsburgh at Miami - Steelers
NY Giants at Minnesota - Vikings
Atlanta at Tampa Bay - Falcons
New Orleans at Carolina - Panthers
New England at Houston - Patriots
Green Bay at Arizona - Packers
Washington at San Diego - Chargers
Tennessee at Seattle - Titans
Baltimore at Oakland - Ravens
Philadelphia at Dallas - Eagles
Kansas City at Denver - Broncos
Cincinnati at NY Jets - Bengals

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-01-03 06:04:43

Indianapolis at Buffalo - Indy
Jacksonville at Cleveland - Jacksonville
Chicago at Detroit - Chicago
San Francisco at St. Louis - San Fran
Pittsburgh at Miami - Pittsburgh
NY Giants at Minnesota - Minnesota
Atlanta at Tampa Bay - Atlanta
New Orleans at Carolina - Carolina
New England at Houston - Houston
Green Bay at Arizona - Arizona
Washington at San Diego - San Diego
Tennessee at Seattle - Tenn essee
Baltimore at Oakland - Baltimore
Philadelphia at Dallas - Philadelphia
Kansas City at Denver - Denver
Cincinnati at NY Jets - Jets

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-01-03 10:38:25

At 1/2/10 04:12 PM, reverend wrote:
At 1/2/10 11:44 AM, Fro wrote: No special comment for me saying that I was the only one to pick the Jets?
When you mention it, I should not count it since the Colts basically threw that game. :P

Even though it takes a real expert to take in consideration of players not starting the whole game? They talked about it all week that Peyton and company wouldn't play that much in the game. Now here's to hoping that the person I'm playing in fantasy this week doesn't remember this as well as more than half of his players will be out before halftime.

Anyway, college football has been great this week.

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-01-03 14:12:05

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-01-03 21:48:49

At 1/3/10 02:12 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Some stupid comments for you to read.

90% of those have to be the same guy. There's no way that anyone could believe playing 15 weeks with a torn labrum makes you a pussy.

Although the guy complaining about the subway commercials is my favorite.

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-01-04 00:33:02

Regular Season Final Standings

Most Wins This Week:
36Holla - 12 wins

Most Losses This Week:
Buddhist, reverend, and phileeguy - 7 losses

[ Rank ] [ W - L ] [ Win% ] [ User, Prev. Rank ]
>>>01 ] [ 173 - 82 ] [ .678% ] [ TheBlackDahliaMurder, 1 ]
>>>--- ] [ 173 - 82 ] [ .678% ] [ 36Holla, 3 ]
>>>03 ] [ 171 - 84 ] [ .671% ] [ reverend, 2 ]
>>>04 ] [ 167 - 88 ] [ .655% ] [ Fro, 4 ]
>>>05 ] [ 164 - 91 ] [ .643% ] [ EternitySpent, 6 ]

>>>06 ] [ 29 - 12 ] [ .707% ] [ DELUCA2400, 7 ]
>>>07 ] [ 138 - 70 ] [ .663% ] [ TheThing, 8 ]
>>>08 ] [ 157 - 82 ] [ .657% ] [ Molotov, 4 ]
>>>09 ] [ 38 - 20 ] [ .655% ] [ idiot-buster, 9 ]
>>>10 ] [ 117 - 64 ] [ .646% ] [ phileeguy, 10 ]
>>>11 ] [ 58 - 31 ] [ .651% ] [ pepeatumi, 11 ]
>>>12 ] [ 26 - 14 ] [ .650% ] [ iBagel, 12 ]
>>>13 ] [ 154 - 85 ] [ .644% ] [ jonthomson, 13 ]
>>>14 ] [ 41 - 23 ] [ .641% ] [ SpiffyMasta, 13 ]
>>>15 ] [ 85 - 49 ] [ .627% ] [ Buddhist, 15]
>>>16 ] [ 131 - 76 ] [ .633% ] [ Tluck-Person, 16 ]
>>>17 ] [ 97 - 62 ] [ .610% ] [ michelinman, 17 ]
>>>18 ] [ 54 - 35 ] [ .607% ] [ Crashman, 18 ]
>>>19 ] [ 51 - 36 ] [ .586% ] [ SlntCobra1, 19 ]
>>>20 ] [ 13 - 14 ] [ .481% ] [ Shy2Authenik, 20 ]

Week 17 Rankings
36Holla: 12-4
jonthomson: 11-5
EternitySpent: 10-6
Fro: 10-6
TheBlackDahliaMurder: 10-6
Buddhist: 9-7
reverend: 9-7
phileeguy: 9-7

Comments
* Congrats to TheBlackDahliaMurder and 36Holla for winning the Regular Season; they win a picture of a plaque.
* Rev choked like the Saints and Colts at the end of the season.
* Molotov didn't make picks this week so he drops to the rift raft.
* I'm just going to hold weekly picks for the playoffs.
* Also, did anybody else know that they are holding the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl? What's up with that?

Wild Card Round
NY Jets at Cincinnati -
Philadelphia at Dallas -
Baltimore at New England -
Green Bay at Arizona -

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-01-04 00:45:27

Chris Johnson is an animal. Next season, if he comes even like...500 yards within what he has done this year, he'll have easily cemented himself as the best back in the league today, if he hadn't already (I personally think so just based on work ethic, acceleration, ability to break tackles, etc., but MJD, S-Jax, and AP are also in the conversation).

Other '09 NFL thoughts:

- Willis McGahee will always command my respect. He may never have reached the potential he should have reached (due to a career full of injuries), but coming back from both this and this to do something like THIS (against my favorite team, no less!) will always command my respect...and probably should get yours too.

- After this year, I'm having trouble deciding on the best two-back tandem in the league: Ronnie Brown & Ricky Williams when both are at 100% (they have the advantage of the Wildcat formation as well), or DeAngelo Williams & Jonathon Stewart at 100% (first pair of teammate backs to rush for 1,100 yards in a season...ever). I'd love to see Williams & Stewart on separate teams, each in a featured role, just to see what they could do if given the opportunity.

- Michael Turner had a down year, but if he recovers fully from the ankle injury this year, I think you can cement him as a top-10 back in real life and in fantasy next season. Plus, he'll have the benefit of Matt Ryan getting another full year under his belt, and getting the sophomore slump out of the way.

- Maurice Jones-Drew is probably the most counted-on back in the game. Even the Titans would have trouble arguing with that. Without MJD, that team is pretty much devoid of any talent (Mike Sims-Walker being the main exception) on the offensive side of the ball.

- Here's hoping Steven Jackson either gets traded or gets a legit offensive line next season. 1,300 yards (2nd in the league), 96.6 yards per game (also 2nd in the NFL) and 4.5 YPC is astounding for any back, let alone a back who spent the entire season getting destroyed by extremely large defensive linemen and linebackers because his entire offensive line is pretty much a joke.

- I'd still love to see Michael Bush get the job as Raiders' featured back. I said it before he was drafted and i'll say it again, Darren McFadden is a Reggie Bush clone. He's a satellite back, not an every-down rusher and certainly not a between-the-tackles runner. And his blazing speed doesn't make up for the fact that he goes down as soon as someone touches him on the field. A franchise back can't do that.

- In the same vein, here's hoping DMac gets traded to some team that maybe still thinks he has the kind of upside they thought he had when we drafted him.

- Ray Rice is a beast as well. The most (if not top two or three) underrated back in the league. He can block, he can run hard, he runs between the tackles, through tacklers, can accelerate quickly, is fast as hell for someone his size, and is also a great, surehanded receiver.

- Fuck the Patriots.

- Jamaal Charles looks like the next great KC RB, following Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson. 265 yards is spectacular, and he really looks to have rejuvenated the team offensively. Maybe with some o-line upgrades and receiving upgrades via the draft (I neglect the defensive side of the ball only because I've already heard they're bringing in Romeo Crennel as D-Coordinator), they could be a playoff bubble team next season.

- Jerome Harrison: Next great Browns RB, or a 3-game tease waiting to happen? 286, 148 and 127 yards in three games is a lot to think about going into next year.

- Sebastian Janikowski has finally become one of the best kickers in the league. He may never live down the whole being picked in the first round of the draft thing, but at least he's proving his worth. A 61-yard FG and 6-8 on FGs from 50+ yards is ridiculous. He went 15-18 on FGs from 40+ yards this year. If he ever gets a chance in his career to start kicking regular-range FGs again, look out.

- Someone PLEASE get Aaron Rodgers an offensive lineman or two for next season. 50 sacks is crazy, and yet he still proved himself to be a top-10 QB in the game.

- Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson have immense, IMMENSE levels of talent that continues to fly under the radar. League leader in receiving yards this year? Andre Johnson. League leader in passing yards? Matt Schaub. Playoffs? Nope.

- With that in mind, I really would love to see the Texans get more exposure next year, because it appears as though next season will be the time they finally get into the playoffs. They'll have Schaub and Johnson, a healthy Owen Daniels, and a healthy (and hopefully ready-to-play) Steve Slaton, and that defense has been getting better and better each year (DeMeco Ryans, Mario Williams, Bernard Pollard, Amobi Okoye, Brian Cushing, Dunta Robinson...

- London Fletcher continues to play at an elite level for a linebacker, yet still does not ever get any credit for his play.

- Patrick Willis, best linebacker in the game. Hands down. You can argue Urlacher and RayRay and Karlos Dansby and Lance Briggs and Lofa Tatupu until your face turns blue, but it's still PWills. He is to San Francisco on the defensive side of the ball what Chris Johnson is to the Titans on the offensive side. All you need to know is this: in three years, he's been responsible for 462 tackles (353 solo), 9 sacks, 4 picks (2 for TDs), and 6 forced fumbles.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-01-04 00:50:42

At 12/30/09 01:26 PM, phileeguy wrote: We could do both just for fun. Doing it round by round makes sense in that everyone picks on each actual match-up in terms of who advanced, but it would be neat to see if anyone got close to a perfect bracket a la March Madness.

Yeah as I said I'm just going to do week by week picks offically but I'm going to show all my picks from the start and see how accurate I am for the lulz. I welcome anyone to join me and I'll create a bracket sometime tomorrow.

At 1/3/10 10:38 AM, Fro wrote: Even though it takes a real expert to take in consideration of players not starting the whole game? They talked about it all week that Peyton and company wouldn't play that much in the game. Now here's to hoping that the person I'm playing in fantasy this week doesn't remember this as well as more than half of his players will be out before halftime.

Anyway, college football has been great this week.

Yeah I was just joking. You know I should have check the weather report for the Colts/Bills game before I made my pick. And yeah, all the college games have been pretty good, except the Sugar Bowl where Cinny was just destroyed by Florida.

I'm looking forward to the Fiesta Bowl between TCU and Boise State on Monday.

At 1/3/10 02:12 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Some stupid comments for you to read.

I've stopped bothering with comments on ESPN since they are basically worthless as you proved.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-01-04 05:46:38

can i get some mad props for calling buffalo > indy? you all really thought their backups could win? really?

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-01-04 09:41:17

At 1/4/10 05:46 AM, jonthomson wrote: can i get some mad props for calling buffalo > indy? you all really thought their backups could win? really?

If you've watched the Bills this season then you could assume that any single team, even some with their backups, could have completely destroyed these guys. I'm more worried that nobody else thought that a good team in the Jets could beat their backups last week. That's a little bit more ridiculous than this week.

So yes, Props in picking a game that nobody thought was going to happen, but I don't think I'm in the wrong when I think that if they played again that the Colts backups would probably have a good chance of winning the game.

Response to American Football Discussion 2010-01-04 23:43:25

Wild Card Round
NY Jets at Cincinnati - Bengals
Philadelphia at Dallas - Cowboys
Baltimore at New England - Ravens
Green Bay at Arizona - Packers

---

Here is my picks for the playoffs. If they don't pan out I'll still make weekly picks. If you wish I put up a .psd file of the bracket where you make your own picks.

Just remember that the #1 seed will always play the lowest remaining seed while the #2 seed will always play the highest remaining seed.

BBS Signature