00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Slubby383 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update

29,551 Views | 485 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 02:31:58

Oh, and did I mention that when you get an achievement you might get an item you already have?

That's right, out of like 15 weapons from the Medic/Heavy/Pyro/Scout etc, you might not even get any of the new 6, but any of the old ones you have, making a duplicate in your inventory.

Meaning all those hours grinded for something you already had.

Counterproductive and a shitty idea.

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 02:32:59

At 5/22/09 02:31 AM, DirtySyko wrote: I'm reading the TF2 forums now, and everyone makes it seem like items literally DROP when you kill someone. A guy says he saw somebody kill one guy and the Ambassador dropped, whereas he killed like 35 people and ended up getting something he already had unlocked.

I've been running over dead bodies as all classes for 5 and a half hours now, nothing so far.

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 04:07:56

The achievement system worked better
This is a dumb idea

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 04:18:06

None of you guys understand.. weapon unlocks have NOTHING to do with achievements now. NOTHING AT ALL. Nor do you pick them up from people. They're awarded to you randomly. You could go AFK on a server, come back in an hour and you might have unlocked a weapon or two. It's ridiculous, not only is the randomness meaning you can have several of the same weapon which is incredibly annoying when you want to unlock something specific (e.g., the huntsman), but it's useless.. I have 2 blutsaugers, how does that help anyone ever?

I understand they don't want people to achievement farm, but now they're just giving the weapons randomly rather than based on skill. At least before you had to work for the unlocks, you had to be able to get the achievements.. whether you went to an achievement server or not.

I went to achievement servers to get a lot of my achievements.. I got 10 of the sniper achievements in less than 20 minutes before realising there were no milestones so I was wasting my time. I was seriously looking forward to playing hardcore sniper then spy to get the unlocks, in achievement servers and in real servers.. but now I can't, I've just got to play and hope I unlock something shiny :/

It's balls. Deep fried balls.

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 05:36:29

I'm not a particularly huge fan of the new weapon system, but it was a good move by Valve to try and minimise the amount of Spy/Sniper only servers that would no doubt have appeared had they done it the old way.

I miss the feeling of working towards a goal though. I liked using and unlocking my weapons, because it actually felt like an achievement to say "Look, I have the Blutsauger because I worked for it, not because it randomly dropped in my lap."

Of course, this feeling doesn't particularly apply to the farmers...

Aussie Club | TF2 Crew | TJPPC

Steam, Xfire: ParadoxVoid | Gamertag: TheFinalParadox

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 06:01:30

I don't think it's just farming they want to cut down on, but they also don't want games to be full of just one, or in this case, two classes, trying to unlock weapons. Anytime an update comes out the class with the update has an overwhelming amount of people playing as it for the first couple of weeks. I just got done playing and for the most part the classes were pretty spread out.

I do agree though, that some people are probably going to get the shaft. I can already see people playing for a month and not unlocking a single new item. I played for about 5 minutes and get Natascha, but I already have that. Also, in my 1 and a half hours of playing, I saw about 7 different people get items, so they distribute them pretty often, you just have to hope you get something you don't already have.

I've been refurbished and reissued, prepackaged and precooked, decontaminated and deloused, but I still smell, sound, look and feel like shit.

New to the video game forums?

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 06:09:58

At 5/22/09 06:01 AM, DirtySyko wrote: I don't think it's just farming they want to cut down on

Here's the problem.

There's going to be entire servers full of waiting rooms where you can just AFK overnight and come back with your inventory full, now.

So instead of actually promoting playing, Valve accidentally got the exact opposite of what they wanted, boring the shit out of people instead of having it feel like a lottery.

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 06:53:08

People in Valve aren't retarded, I'm sure they'll bring it back to the old way soon enough. I mean remember the +50 health for the pyro with the backburner? SO I'm sure they'll see how annoyed we are and just give it to us. Also I think these are the easiest achievements of all the packs. Or at least the spy has easy ones. Sniper's shouldn't take too long.

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 07:13:02

My computer is too slow to run this adequately.
Mouse + Keyboard controls can still suck my dick, verily.

And by the sounds of it I wouldn't be able to unlock the PC Exclusive shit anyway.
Back to the Xbox version, patiently waiting for the updates.

And if we run outta bullets? Heh, baby, they're gonna wish we hadn't....

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 08:27:25

At 5/22/09 07:44 AM, Fyndir wrote: I will be so incredibly disappointed in them if they give in to you crying babies.

Why? For listening to the players? Since when has that been a bad thing in a dev company? Overall, I have to say that I've heard more negative than positive about the system.

Most people are annoyed at the random chance-ness of the weapon drops, but are liking the fact that we're not getting servers spammed with a single class.

I'm sure Valve will be able to figure out a compromise, they've had a pretty damn good track record so far.

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 08:39:57

At 5/22/09 08:31 AM, Fyndir wrote: It's a pathetic "I DESERVE these things" mentality, the new system is better because it means you can earn the items by playing the game normally, instead of performing arbitrary tasks unrelated to regular gameplay.

I understand where you're coming from. I just think that it could probably have been implemented better, and not so random. Perhaps playing for a certain time, and getting a certain number of points in a game would net you a random item you didn't already have. I believe that's where most of the frustration comes from - not only the randomness of the drops, but for the lucky ones that do get an item, the fact that it's one that they've gotten already annoys them.

It doubtless needs some tweaking, any new release does, but even in a slightly flawed state it's infinitely better than the achievements system could ever be.

This is where I disagree. I feel that there's not much point in putting the work in for an update, if only a small fraction of people get to experience them, and the only reason they do is because they're just luckier than you are.

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 09:43:38

I agree with changing the way unlocks are obtained, I do not agree with the way they have done it. It makes no sense what so ever. Why couldn't they just have a Battlefield style thing where the points you gain in-game count you up to the next "rank", at which point you can choose which weapon you want to unlock.

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 10:16:00

FKN VALVE RUEN MY GHEYM I PAID A HOLE 10 DOLLAZ FOR HOW DARE DEY GIVE ME FREE STUFF AND NOT MAYK IT TO MY LIEKING FAGOTS.

Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 10:47:01

Apparently they even drop while you spectate.

Seriously fyndir I agree with you but this is just hilarious.

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 10:54:30

At 5/22/09 10:28 AM, Fyndir wrote: Again you're looking for instant gratification.

Valve added new stuff to the game, that doesn't mean that every player should have it instantly, you appear to be exactly the kind of person who hops on achievement servers on the day of the update and essentially cheats to access the new items on the same day.

Are you that kind of person?

If so, please tell me now, because there's no point in actually discussing this with you if I'm right.

I'm not that kind of person. I actually like to get the achievements the hard way, through actual playtime, and not 'cheating' for them. The only time I have gone on one, and that was before I knew what an achievement server was, I've regretted it.

The instant gratification point you mention might be valid for some people, but others, like myself, like to work towards something. Personally, that's what I miss the most about the de-linking. Now there isn't any reward for putting in REAL effort playing to get the achievements.

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 10:55:50

They should ofat least made it that you can only randomly get new items instead.
I really don't like the change of the unlocks to this, it makes achievements a useless feature imo. I don't actually feel like I'm getting anything for them.
While before getting a new achievement meant I was progressing towards a new unlock that will add more variety to the game.
I really dislike the randomness, it doesn't feel nice to have to wait for something to come to you instead of actually doing something to get it.
I think Valve made a bigger problem by trying to eliminate a smaller problem.

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 12:02:59

I just went on it and in the first 5 minutes I unlocked the Force-A-Nature.

| Steam | AMD FX8320 - Asus 7950 - 8GB DDR3 - Asis M5A97 Pro - Xigmatek 750w - 120gb SSD - 1tb HDD - 500gb HDD -

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 13:02:57

At 5/22/09 07:13 AM, MasterBalls wrote: My computer is too slow to run this adequately.

Sucks to be you bro.

Mouse + Keyboard controls can still suck my dick, verily.

Too bad that overrall they are better than controllers.

And by the sounds of it I wouldn't be able to unlock the PC Exclusive shit anyway.

Seems pretty easy to me bro.

Back to the Xbox version, patiently waiting for the updates.

Valve is currently trying to make all the updates fit for the xbox, but it's hard because of it's limitations. So I don't know when you will get them.

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 13:13:17

The new system doesn't suck - we are all just incredibly eager and impatient. It shouldn't take more than a week to get them, I'm guessing.

...also, TL;DR.

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 13:32:37

At 5/22/09 12:02 PM, mercyfire wrote: I just went on it and in the first 5 minutes I unlocked the Force-A-Nature.

Well shit, I have been playing for 3 and a half hours now and didn't get jack.
This system has a lot of room for improvement.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 13:35:52

You can earn things while AFK.

If anything, everything is easier to get.

at least I can get all the pyro and scout ones now.

You should totally add me on one of my various game accounts:

360 - Malachi117. Steam - Malachi117. PS3/PS4 - NarcolepticCat.

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 14:03:34

At 5/22/09 01:13 PM, MeatMachine wrote: The new system doesn't suck - we are all just incredibly eager and impatient. It shouldn't take more than a week to get them, I'm guessing.

It does suck, because they are essentially giving players unlocks based on nothing at all. It is completely random. The best player in the world can go for hours without getting a single thing, whereas someone who bought the game today can get something in five minutes. It's just not fair.

Then again, neither were acheivement servers, but it was still a better system than this one

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 14:04:45

At 5/22/09 01:35 PM, malachi117 wrote: You can earn things while AFK.

If anything, everything is easier to get.

at least I can get all the pyro and scout ones now.

good idea.

| Steam | AMD FX8320 - Asus 7950 - 8GB DDR3 - Asis M5A97 Pro - Xigmatek 750w - 120gb SSD - 1tb HDD - 500gb HDD -

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 15:51:44

After about 3 hours of play time, I've gotten the following items.

The backburner (twice and I already had it to begin with)

Natascha (Already had it)

Yea this unlock system is terrible. It may be a long time before I get a chance to play with some of the new items.

"Physicsman09: The Gordon Freeman of Newgrounds"

-The-Hitman

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 16:59:06

Judging by the forum rage... I don't know.

This does not sound like the random item drop will work in you favor.

Want to play something or just chat? Click here. For all the daily shit that happens in my life, click here.

Achievement Whore Status: 47th place as of 05/18/09

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 18:36:59

I'm sick and tired. I played for at least five hours today and guess what I got - nothing. Not even an item I already had.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 18:38:29

I think everyone on NG is just very unlucky. I havn't read one post here about how good the new weapons. Stupid newgrounds curse!

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 18:54:45

CPU Minimum: Pentium 4/Athlon XP or better
You Have: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz PASS

CPU Speed
Minimum: 1.7 GHz
You Have: 2.59 GHz PASS

System RAM
Minimum: 512 MB
You Have: 511 MB PASS

Operating System
Minimum: Windows 2000/XP/Vista
You Have: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (Build Service Pack 32600) PASS

Video Card
Minimum: DirectX 8 compatible video card (NVIDIA GeForce3+ / ATI Radeon 8500+)
You Have: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (GeForce FX 5200) PASS
Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card Video RAM: Required - 128 MB , You have - 128 MB
Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes , You have - Yes
Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 1.1 , You have - 2.0

Video Card Driver Version (DirectX)
Your driver version number is: 6.14.10.8198 FYI: Your video card driver version is provided for your information, but it is not part of this analysis. But proper video card driver versions are important to the proper operation of your product.
Sound Card
Minimum: Yes
You Have: Creative SB Live! Series PASS
Sound Card Driver Version

Your driver version number is: 5.10
FYI: Your sound card driver version is provided for your information, but it is not part of this analysis. But proper sound card driver versions are important to the proper operation of your product.

Free Disk Space
Minimum: 5 GB
You Have: 1.1 GB FAIL: Sorry, your computer does not have enough Free Disk Space to meet this minimum requirement. Maybe it's time to buy another hard drive. Click 'We Recommend' to get all the disk space you need.

I have over 20 GBs of music, that can be deleted and I'd be all set.

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 19:03:07

BBS Signature

Response to Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update 2009-05-22 19:22:51

I just had the greatest time ever.

I went into that Achievement Unlimited or whatever farm server. everyone was Sniper,Spy, or Scout.

I went Pyro and sat in their spawn since its outside so spies can just stand and stab spam. Whoever made it put ammo dispensers there that can't be destroyed.

They tried to votekick me 5 times. Since I stood there for 5 minutes and killed everyone constantly.

You should totally add me on one of my various game accounts:

360 - Malachi117. Steam - Malachi117. PS3/PS4 - NarcolepticCat.