00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

bigrichardrick just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Computer Construction Crew

187,774 Views | 2,279 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-03 14:57:31

sombody give me 2 4870's so I can max out games plx

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-03 16:23:30

So, how paranoid about static do I need to be when building this? Touching the case occasionally enough, or do I need to go get one of then wrist straps?

Also, better place to build it: wooden table standing on carpet, kitchen bench (not sure what it's made of, not wood) standing on stone tiles, or on the floor on the tiles themselves?

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-03 17:52:45

At 7/3/09 04:23 PM, TheMaster wrote: So, how paranoid about static

Just ground yourself every few minutes to the metal chassis of the case. Wearing those specially made gloves or grounding wires is rubbish and makes people look like tools. Been doing this for over five years now and have never fried anything.

Also, better place to build it: wooden table standing on carpet, kitchen bench, etc

Preferably tile or anything that is solid and not fuzzy like a carpet, though it won't make difference anyways.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-03 18:42:30

Hi, Never had a custom built computer, but since my laptop is pretty shit and on its last legs, I am wanting to save up and build/ get built a custom pc/laptop and am looking for some easy introduction into the world of custom built computer/ any decent site.
BTW if you want to recommend me parts, then I will mostly be using the computer for Flash, Programming (HTML, PHP, C++ Etc.), Internet, Music. I also want quite abit of memory and RAM.

Price range £0-£1000

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-04 05:16:19

At 7/3/09 06:42 PM, AlmostDead1 wrote: Hi, Never had a custom built computer, but since my laptop is pretty shit and on its last legs, I am wanting to save up and build/ get built a custom pc/laptop and am looking for some easy introduction into the world of custom built computer/ any decent site.
BTW if you want to recommend me parts, then I will mostly be using the computer for Flash, Programming (HTML, PHP, C++ Etc.), Internet, Music. I also want quite abit of memory and RAM.

Price range £0-£1000

For a thousand pounds you can buy yourself a game computer. Not sure if you want to spend your entire budget though. There are loads and loads of combinations for making computers. Since a lot of the guides are outdated, I'll give you a quick summary:

Memory or RAM: Memory and RAM are the same things. The more you have of it, the more programs you can run at the same time. Usually also decreases loading times.
Processor: Where everything in your PC happens, the speed of a processor is measured in Hertz (Hz), MegaHertz (Mhz) or GigaHertz (Ghz). The higher that number, the faster the processor is. Now a days a lot of computers have dual or quad cores. The more cores you have the faster you can multitask.
Motherboard: The circuit board where all your components go on. Make sure all your computer parts are compatible with the motherboard. If you're not sure, ask here.
Graphics card: Simply put, this determines how fast your games will run. Check out some reviews of cards if you think you've found a good one and check how well it performs in various games.
Power supply: Be sure that your PSU has enough Amps and Watt to power your system. If you have a beefy graphics card, you'll also need a beefy PSU.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-04 05:34:48

Would all this work together, be suitable?
BTW, if there is any better products please point it out?
or if i missed anything out.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-04 05:59:25

At 7/4/09 05:34 AM, AlmostDead1 wrote: Would all this work together, be suitable?

The motherboard is not compatible with the processor. The processor is AM2 socket, and the motherboard is socket 775. You'll need an Intel Core2Duo/Core2Quad if you want to keep that motherboard.

Do you need all those special Firewire and sound cards? Usually they're built in the motherboard.

I'd suggest you go for a slightly larger screen and a PSU from a brand like Corsair or Coolermaster.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-04 06:12:31

At 7/4/09 05:59 AM, X8X wrote:
At 7/4/09 05:34 AM, AlmostDead1 wrote: Would all this work together, be suitable?
The motherboard is not compatible with the processor. The processor is AM2 socket, and the motherboard is socket 775. You'll need an Intel Core2Duo/Core2Quad if you want to keep that motherboard.

Do you need all those special Firewire and sound cards? Usually they're built in the motherboard.

I'd suggest you go for a slightly larger screen and a PSU from a brand like Corsair or Coolermaster.

This one?

New basket:

Antec 1200 Twelve Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black (No PSU)

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 LGA775 'Wolfdale' 2.93GHz (1066FSB) - Retail

Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

OcUK Value L-2254WD 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor

Fujitsu 500GB 5400RPM SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM (MJA2500BH)

Akasa AK-P040FG8-BKUK 400W Green Power 80+ Power Supply

Corsair XMS2 DHX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C5 TwinX Dual Channel (TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX)

OCZ Alchemy Series Elixir Keyboard (OALKBELXUK)

Pioneer DVR-216DBK 20x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM

AcoustiFan DustProof Quiet 70mm Fan - 3 pin

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-04 06:21:06

That processor will work great. Only I'd strongly suggest you go for a different power supply. Take Corsair or Coolermaster, cheap PSUs have a chance of wrecking your PC.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-04 06:36:41

At 7/4/09 06:21 AM, X8X wrote: That processor will work great. Only I'd strongly suggest you go for a different power supply. Take Corsair or Coolermaster, cheap PSUs have a chance of wrecking your PC.

This one looks best.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-04 06:38:33

At 7/4/09 06:36 AM, AlmostDead1 wrote: This one looks best.

A bit overkill for your system, go for something like this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc t.php?prodid=CA-008-CS

It'll be fine.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-04 07:02:03

At 7/4/09 06:38 AM, X8X wrote:
At 7/4/09 06:36 AM, AlmostDead1 wrote: This one looks best.
A bit overkill for your system, go for something like this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc t.php?prodid=CA-008-CS

It'll be fine.

Thanks, also do i need this? or can I just take it out of my basket?

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-04 07:17:20

At 7/4/09 07:02 AM, AlmostDead1 wrote: Thanks, also do i need this? or can I just take it out of my basket?

That's RAM. You always need RAM in your PC or else it won't boot. 4 GB is enough, don't worry about that.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-04 08:43:40

At 7/4/09 07:17 AM, X8X wrote:
At 7/4/09 07:02 AM, AlmostDead1 wrote: Thanks, also do i need this? or can I just take it out of my basket?
That's RAM. You always need RAM in your PC or else it won't boot. 4 GB is enough, don't worry about that.

Thanks, now I just have to save up a load of money.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-04 12:45:47

OK HERE IS MY BRAN NEW COMP THAT I GOT literally 3 days ago ^^

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT AND I ALMOST JIZZED MY PANTS WHEN I OPENED THE BOX
its an alienware
PROCESSOR:: INTEL core i7-975 Extreame 3.86 Ghz 8 mb cache OVERCLOCKED BY ALIENWARE

VIDEO CARDS:: DUEL 1,792 MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295
RAM ::12 GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz-( 6 x 2048 MB) forgot the brand
MOTHER BOARD: intel x-58 motherb.. socket 1366 core i7

alienware.com ^^ advertisement ^^

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-04 12:51:26

At 7/4/09 12:45 PM, kingkris232 wrote: OK HERE IS MY BRAN NEW COMP THAT I GOT literally 3 days ago ^^

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT AND I ALMOST JIZZED MY PANTS WHEN I OPENED THE BOX
its an alienware
PROCESSOR:: INTEL core i7-975 Extreame 3.86 Ghz 8 mb cache OVERCLOCKED BY ALIENWARE

VIDEO CARDS:: DUEL 1,792 MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295
RAM ::12 GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz-( 6 x 2048 MB) forgot the brand
MOTHER BOARD: intel x-58 motherb.. socket 1366 core i7

EDIT::::::: im using my 42 inch VISIO PLASMA AS A MONITER LOL MASSIVE GAMING
AND FOR SPEAKERS IM USING JBL SOUNDSTICKSII 40 watts 2.1 3-Piece Multimedia Speaker System

view here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16836101057

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-04 13:13:41

That's awesome! Care to post some photos / benchmarks?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-04 16:44:24

I'm speechless that this machine is working. I thought it'd broken something at basically every stage while building it, but so far it runs properly. Just need to install drivers for my wireless adapter and start downloading drivers and updates and whatnot.

Doing it tomorrow, though.. Been working on it for almost 12 hours and I'm shattered.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-04 18:55:03

At 7/4/09 12:45 PM, kingkris232 wrote: JIZZED MY PANTS WHEN I OPENED THE BOX

Unnecessary.

its an alienware

We are about preaching custom builds, not pre-made ones.

Anyone with an eye and a hand can overclock a CPU with a breeze and people managed to get the 920 up to 4.0 on good air fans; so I would expect the Alienware to have at least 4.2 when OC'd, considering it's also a 975 and considerably more expensive.

Seriously. No.

Great computer and all but the ram is surprisingly slow in comparison to everything to all the other hardware. 1866 or 2000 are some crazy nice speeds that surprisingly don't cost that much more.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-05 16:20:58

Hey guys I've got like 250 bucks what do I buy?

I am thinking of a 1TB HDD and some decent headphones. Good idea?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-05 19:33:00

At 7/5/09 04:20 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Hey guys I've got like 250 bucks what do I buy?

I am thinking of a 1TB HDD and some decent headphones. Good idea?

Sounds like something I would suggest. There's always the option of waiting for the Creative E200 to come out. It's like a super sexy, thin bezel, thin uni body design and it's going to have oled screen apparently. I don't know, that sounds like fun. And it's not an Apple product.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-06 02:51:27

Back from vacation, and with a little talk on futureproofing.

Interesting article on crossfire.

The main difference between the two is that the p45 runs it's PCI-e slots at 8x in crossfire. A lot of people say that having slots run at full x16 bandwidth doesn't matter right now, because current cards aren't powerful enough to need of it. However, the article begs to differ. I was actually surprised at the gains from using 2 x16 slots.

When DX11 cards roll around, they will be immensely powerful compared to these 4850s. Which makes me think, the bottleneck from 8x CF will be pretty bad. I know Tacofreak bought a nice CF board, but it doesn't run "full" crossfire, if you will, it's pci-e slots run at 8x in CF.

Right now, it seems to be a rock and a hard place for me with this predicament. My 750i doesn't run full SLI, meaning 300 series SLI is out of the question. I was thinking about my next upgrade being to an AMD trike/ 5870CF, but a board that will run full CF for that setup costs almost twice as much.

WHAT SAY YOU, COMPUTER CONSTRUCTIES?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-07 15:05:42

Anyone know any good (Preferably Asus) motherboards with a 1366 socket and support for 2000 series DDR3 RAM? I was looking at the Asus P6T SE as a candidate but I don't understand Newegg's strange specs. This is what it says: DDR3 2000(O.C.)*/1866(O.C.)*/1800(O.C.)*/1600 (O.C.)/1 333/1066. Is (O.C) referring to overclock? If so, what does that have to do the type of ram someone wants to place into the board.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-07 16:12:26

Any i7 motherboard would be able to handle ddr3 2000. It's just a matter of changing some settings in bios to make them run at spec. I'm not too fluent on the bios tweaks of i7, but surely an overclocking guide should acquaint you with the various features you need to know about.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-07 17:31:30

Hello everyone here.

I was just wondering,

Which AMD processor gives me the most bang for my buck?
Should I go with the AMD 64 or the 16 core processors?

Also, does anyone know of a case for a P4 1600 motherboard? The heat sink on the bottom is driving me insane.

"Spend all night with him, youll wind up with a sore ass. Spend all night with me and youll wind up with a smart ass - Jedi's Groucho Ma impression"

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-07 18:40:55

At 7/7/09 04:12 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Any i7 motherboard would be able to handle ddr3 2000.

That's good.

It's just a matter of changing some settings in bios to make them run at spec. I'm not too fluent on the bios tweaks of i7

I'm not concerned about OCing it, I'm actually anticipating it and from the looks of it; it appears to be quite straight forward if one is willing to accept two or three new parameters and dismiss another few.

At 7/7/09 05:31 PM, Tehpivot wrote: Which AMD processor gives me the most bang for my buck?

Ugh. Pick yourself up a Phenom II X3 720 or a Phenom II X4 940.

Should I go with the AMD 64 or the 16 core processors?

Come back here in the year 2020 or possible 2040, there should be some sixty-four core processors by then.

Also, does anyone know of a case for a P4 1600 motherboard? The heat sink on the bottom is driving me insane.

P4 is an Intel chip from around the 2001 era, why would you still bother doing upgrades surrounding it but to anwser your question; It's most likely a standard ATX board and any Mid-size case will fit it fine. Motherboards come in three standard sizes; no such thing as specific boards requiring specific chassis. Just get yourself a new computer, preferably Intel based.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-07 18:53:53

My computer specs are in my sig, but in case I change it in the future: 4GB Dual Channel Ram 1066mhz, 8800 GT, HAF 932 Case, 500GB HD, Q6600 OC - 3GHZ, 28'' 1920x1200, liquid cooling, G15 Keyboard, G9x Mouse, 5.1 Surround Sound

I'm overclocking my 8800 as well. Got a 600W PSU, and a scythe fan controller.

For a while now I have been attempting to get my Q6600 Revision G0 to 3.6GHZ or so but I have been unsuccessful. I got it to 3.5GHZ but I got a BSOD in about 5 minutes. Any tips?

My PC: 4GBs of Ram 1066mhz, 8800 GT, HAF 932 Case, 500GB HD, Q6600 OC - 3GHZ, 28'' 1920x1200, liquid cooling, G15 Keyboard, G9x Mouse, 5.1 Surround Sound

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-07 19:35:54

At 7/7/09 06:40 PM, PolishMatt wrote: Come back here in the year 2020 or possible 2040, there should be some sixty-four core processors by then.

I meant the processor called the AMD 64. Sorry about my syntax.

P4 is an Intel chip from around the 2001 era, why would you still bother doing upgrades surrounding it but to anwser your question; It's most likely a standard ATX board and any Mid-size case will fit it fine. Motherboards come in three standard sizes; no such thing as specific boards requiring specific chassis. Just get yourself a new computer, preferably Intel based.

I know, but it will still run games, especially if I have one of these:

Old computers ftw

"Spend all night with him, youll wind up with a sore ass. Spend all night with me and youll wind up with a smart ass - Jedi's Groucho Ma impression"

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-07 20:20:39

At 7/7/09 07:35 PM, Tehpivot wrote: I know, but it will still run games, especially if I have one of these:

Should be able to handle a solid game of Halo 1 (Personal experience). I got one of these years back when I was still rocking a 833Mhz P3 with 256MB of DDR RAM (5 years ago?) and oh boy was I happy. Thing is, it's possible to get a card now a days that is about 70 times (7000% anyone?) better than that card for a price as low as 99$. Yet again, we are dealing with an old system here so that's probably the most you can suck out of it anyways.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-07-07 20:39:10

Hey you guys i need some help..
this is sorta a three-part question..

i am building a custom pc for under $500 and im planning on using this:
ddr2 800
Intel Pentium E5200
i was wondering if...
A: ASROCK is a good brand..
B: this motherbaord would work..
c: do you have any suggestions, but keep the cost low please!

and yeah...