00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lucidstriker595 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Computer Construction Crew

187,296 Views | 2,279 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-25 11:21:42

At 9/25/09 11:07 AM, GodsBitch wrote: If anyone takes the time to do this for me and have a final check over my system to make sure I haven't missed anything I will be most grateful. I'm sure once I get my first build over and done with I'll be able to offer some help to other users in the crew as oppose to my regular asking for help posts.

I'm sure your school would offer Windows 7 for free as well as other MSDN software. Especially since your in Comp Sci.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-25 11:30:39

At 9/25/09 11:21 AM, Wylo wrote: I'm sure your school would offer Windows 7 for free as well as other MSDN software. Especially since your in Comp Sci.

I'm only 3 weeks into my Computer Science course and have heard no such things mentioned. Getting Windows 7 for free almost seems to good to be true. Right now I'm thinking of buying Vista with a Windows 7 upgrade code. I might even start my build much sooner as I expected, as for some strange and unknown reason my mum has decided to help me out financially if I decide to build a PC with most of my money. I thought she would be discouraging me, but I'm not complaining.

Anyway, if someone could rake around the site I linked in the previous post and find my selected parts I would be most grateful.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-25 11:41:53

At 9/25/09 06:04 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: I don't trust mail-in rebates as far as I can throw them.

I've had rebates all come back as long as they were filled out properly. Although I've heard that OCZ's rebate house is now shipping out Citi prepaid Mastercards which causes a lot of headaches for people since online retailers usually need to verify a card which takes up to several days time to process.

At 9/25/09 11:30 AM, GodsBitch wrote: I'm only 3 weeks into my Computer Science course and have heard no such things mentioned. Getting Windows 7 for free almost seems to good to be true. Right now I'm thinking of buying Vista with a Windows 7 upgrade code.

You should ask fellow students or upper years. I know here in Canada, most technical programs in universities get access to MSDN software online. I'm in Chemical Engineering and I even get access to Windows 7 for free, although I pretty much just stumbled upon it randomly while exploring my computer lab. What school do you go to?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-25 11:50:09

At 9/25/09 11:41 AM, Wylo wrote: What school do you go to?

I go to Heriot Watt University which is located just outside of Edinburgh, Scotland.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-25 12:25:10

At 9/25/09 11:50 AM, GodsBitch wrote: I go to Heriot Watt University which is located just outside of Edinburgh, Scotland.

Looks like they are part of the MSDNAA. So you are eligible. You just have to find out how to get a username and password from your Department.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-26 13:29:47

I believe a happy birthday is in order for the one who created this crew.

Happy birthday ThoseSneakyFrench!

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-26 16:57:07

At 9/26/09 02:13 PM, TacoFreak wrote:
At 9/26/09 01:29 PM, GodsBitch wrote: I believe a happy birthday is in order for the one who created this crew.

Happy birthday ThoseSneakyFrench!
but he has autism

It's still his birthday.

Happy birthday, man.

This looks froody.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-26 22:39:04

I don't have autism, but thanks for the happy birthday.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-27 11:18:36

At 9/27/09 07:06 AM, TacoFreak wrote: Long ass story.

Interesting, but who they fuck is Billy?

Lolwut?

This looks froody.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-27 11:33:38

Get the fuck out of my crew tacofreak.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-27 11:40:53

At 9/25/09 11:50 AM, GodsBitch wrote:
At 9/25/09 11:41 AM, Wylo wrote: What school do you go to?
I go to Heriot Watt University which is located just outside of Edinburgh, Scotland.

University of Aberdeen Represent!

Relevant link to your need.

This is a Prime piece of real estate below.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-27 11:50:02

At 9/27/09 11:18 AM, XIII13 wrote:
At 9/27/09 07:06 AM, TacoFreak wrote: Long ass story.
Interesting, but who they fuck is Billy?

Lolwut?

It's ThoseSneakyFrench

At 9/27/09 11:33 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Get the fuck out of my crew tacofreak.

2 LEGIT

2 LEGIT TO QUIT

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-28 15:02:34

Just closed a deal on my 280 for $200. Let's hope a 4770 is enough to push 1600p for the next few months.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-28 15:52:38

Should be enough to handle anything a 4850 can, maybe with less AA than you're used to though.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-28 16:04:53

I'm selling my mobo for 100zl

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-28 19:30:29

Current computer funds: $750

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-28 20:36:17

I'm about to make a good computer (finally). Intend the whole package (CPU, screen, misc.) to cost about 2K$
And I really like that tower :)

Computer Construction Crew

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-29 08:19:34

At 9/28/09 08:36 PM, Fjobbi wrote: I'm about to make a good computer (finally). Intend the whole package (CPU, screen, misc.) to cost about 2K$
And I really like that tower :)

MMM haf 932

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-29 11:54:01

At 9/27/09 11:40 AM, Sweeper128 wrote: University of Aberdeen Represent!

Relevant link to your need.

I'd like to thank Wylo for informing me of students getting cheap Microsoft software, and I'd like to thank you for saving me £120 and providing a link that actually allows me to get Windows 7 so cheap.

Now, do I reinvest that £120 on some more RAM (or just reinvest it into the project somewhere) or keep it for my uni funds? Uni funds seems logical right now.

Again, thank you Wylo and Sweeper128!

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-29 11:59:15

At 9/29/09 11:54 AM, GodsBitch wrote: and I'd like to thank you for saving me £120 and providing a link that actually allows me to get Windows 7 so cheap.

Found a slight catch. You can only download it onto a machine that is already running Vista (possibly XP too, can't remember) and as this will be a new build with no OS, I'm not going to be able to get Windows 7 for £30.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-29 15:24:23

At 9/29/09 02:39 PM, deckheadtottie wrote: I'm looking for a reasonably powerful computer that can compress/decompress media quicklyish, something that can play the odd game (like GTA 4)

GTA4 runs like a slideshow on PC because it doesn't even utilize hardware rendering.

Graphics Card: Zotac 9800GT ECO Edition - £69.99 (I know the least about graphics cards)

ATI 4770. It's a low power 40nm chip with about the same performance as a 9800gt.

Case: Recommendations again plz - £?? (£30 or so)

Cooler master elite series.

I am looking to overclock, so bare that in mind, too.

Take a look at either a xigmatek cooler or a Mugen II. Everything else about your build should go together nicely.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-29 18:44:13

okay so thosesneakyfrench helped me pick out computer parts, but problem is, one of the parts is out of stock indefinitely, and i'm sorta tired of waiting.

the part is the Crucial Ballistix BL2KIT25664AA80A PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 240PIN Memory Kit

is there any part that can replace that without any problem?

Sig made by me

Once again i'm falling down a mountain like a metaphor

Here ends another post by the grand master of all things: fluffkomix

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-29 21:21:52

At 9/29/09 11:54 AM, GodsBitch wrote: I'd like to thank Wylo for informing me of students getting cheap Microsoft software, and I'd like to thank you for saving me £120 and providing a link that actually allows me to get Windows 7 so cheap.

Actually the MSDNAA software includes Windows 7 Professional both x86 and x64. So really you get at least two licenses for free. It also gives Vista and XP licenses.

Or if you want you can get 10 licenses via IEEE. ONLY FOR STUDENTS

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-29 22:38:21

Hey guys, I'm looking to join this club. I don't know as much as some people here, but I have my fair share of knowledge. Can I join, or is more info required?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-30 03:12:11

At 9/29/09 02:39 PM, deckheadtottie wrote: I'm in the market for a new computer, and was wondering what you guys think of this current sweet build. I am open to being completely torn a new one, so any suggestions I will appreciate hearing.

I'm looking for a reasonably powerful computer that can compress/decompress media quicklyish, something that can play the odd game (like GTA 4) and do other minor chores quickly. My budget is around £400- £500 (10% on top of that if needs be, but there should be no need). I don't need an OS (Windows 7 is pre-ordered and awaiting delivery on the 22nd) or a monitor.

GTA 4 basically won't run on anything, but ignoring that and assuming by "odd game" you mean "source games" level of intensity for graphics or slightly above...

Processor: Core2Duo E7400 - £82

If you want to overclock as you suggest, I'd suggest saving the money and getting an E7200. Its headroom isn't guaranteed to be any different than that of the E7400 other than the E7400's minimum clock is a few hundred (ish? CBA to look it up) MHz higher. Most will overclock well beyond that, so save the cash and get an E7200. Or, better yet, an E5200 if you can find one and want to be adventerous with your overclocking and really slim down the budget :)

Mobo: Asus P5QL/EPU - £54

Fairly fine piece of work, but if you're gonna be overclocking I'd recommend Gigabyte's UD3R board with the P45 chipset (EP45 or something like that in front). A few extra bucks for all that extra copper for cooling and especially for the higher quality capacitors and voltage regulators is going to be worth it. Most motherboards use crappy capacitors and they can be a problem to a high overclock, which is good for getting efficiency per dollar.

Graphics Card: Zotac 9800GT ECO Edition - £69.99 (I know the least about graphics cards)

4770, again, is probably a slightly more economical choice and should cost about the same as suggested.

PSU: OCZ ModXstream 500w - £52

Can't see anything wrong with that. Search around between various Corsair power supply models to see if you can't get a better price in a similar wattage range, they make pretty top notch stuff but PSU pricing can be rather whacky (I've seen the same brand's 550W be more expensive than their 750W and all kinds of crazy stuff like that...)

RAM: 4GB of something (recommendations plz) - £50 or so

Anything the board accepts will work fine. Super fast RAM is not really a concern unless you are going to be trying to hit ridiculous clockspeeds. DDR2 is what you'll be after, just go find the cheapest and fastest 4 GB you can, should run you around 50 USD, not sure what would end up happening with weird british hardware cost conversions.

HDD: Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB : £37

I may recommend the Western Digital WD6401AALS 640GB model instead. Slightly higher size, pretty good platter arrangement for speed, and an average spindle speed all for an affordable price.

DVD drive: Some generic Samsung burner - £16

Can't help here.

Case: Recommendations again plz - £?? (£30 or so)

Or here. Don't get something too expensive, the brand name often isn't worth the price - just make sure your parts fit and you'll be fine.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-30 03:14:10

At 9/29/09 06:44 PM, fluffkomix wrote: okay so thosesneakyfrench helped me pick out computer parts, but problem is, one of the parts is out of stock indefinitely, and i'm sorta tired of waiting.

the part is the Crucial Ballistix BL2KIT25664AA80A PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 240PIN Memory Kit

is there any part that can replace that without any problem?

Any part labelled "PC2-6400" in a size of "4GB" in two, 2 GB sticks. An alternate rating being "DDR2-800" with timings of "4-4-4-12" which are less important than the aforementioned labellings.

Basically you're looking for DDR2-800, also known as PC2-6400 in two, two gigabyte sticks. Any RAM that fits such a qualification will suffice.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-30 12:24:20

At 9/30/09 11:35 AM, deckheadtottie wrote:
I can't find the E7200 at any of my usual sources, and when I do find it, it's actually more expensive than the E7400. So I guess I'll have to stick with the E7400. It's got a great review in the magazine I read, and it's at a price I like.

Alrighty then, market prices do fluctate. I just said that because theoretically an E7200 is cheaper is all.

A few bucks more to Americans, but £30 more for us Brits. Unless I'm completely blind, of course.

Again, market price fluctuation is to be expected. I can only make recommendations based on North American pricing :)

4770 it is. Just a question of what flavour.

The cheap flavor :p

I've decided to up it to 600w. I honestly don't know why, I'm guess I'm just paranoid. If the 500w was fine, can you let me know?

500 Watts should be entirely sufficient for some time. A 600 Watt power supply would last longer, so if you can find one for a reasonably similar price go for it, but don't spend too much extra just so you can have a bigger power supply.

I've gone for the Corsair 2x2GB pack @ 800MHz. Although I have a gut feeling there might be a better deal elsewhere. I can't find it, though.

It was a pretty good deal when I bought a similar product (Corsair 2x1GB pack @ 800 MHz) here, I'm assuming it still is, so good choice.

What do you think of the one I linked above? It's getting good reviews and is a reasonable price.

Case seems fine to me. Coolermaster is a respected brand and at that price it's not a price-gouge by any means. Really too bad hardware costs more across the pond, I could probably put together a similar build for a hundred dollars less. Granted shipping it to you would then take that hundred dollars away, but oh well :p

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-30 13:39:52

At 9/30/09 01:32 PM, deckheadtottie wrote:
At 9/30/09 12:24 PM, Reaper93 wrote: Really too bad hardware costs more across the pond
I know, man. Shit sucks.

Well, I'm currently putting together a list of parts as well. MicroDirect and Scan seem to be pretty reasonable with their prices. I'm sticking to MicroDirect myself because I just think it's simpler to get all the parts from the same place. They appear to have taken the Razer Deathadder mouse and Lycosa keyboard off the site. It's not even showing as out of stock anymore which is a bit of a shame.

I know what you mean though. NewEgg seems to be where the party's at.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-30 14:06:33

At 9/30/09 01:55 PM, deckheadtottie wrote: I'm getting excited. This is my FIRST proper build.

Same goes for me. Only thing that's stopping me ordering the parts now is uni. Don't know how much money I'm going to need to last me until the Christmas holidays, which is preventing me from going ahead with my plans.

Can't wait to get this thing built though. I will finally be able to get some online gaming time again. Didn't want to take my Xbox and TV with me, so I only really get a chance to game at the weekends. Got lucky today and went to an Unreal Tournament LAN that some of the older Computer Science students set up in one of the labs. Was pretty shocked to find there was lag for a while though.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-09-30 14:15:02

ugh still need to sell my mobo