00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Callipsio just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Computer Construction Crew

187,700 Views | 2,279 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-15 19:45:43

At 3/15/09 02:47 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: The 9800 GTX he linked to is 166.73EU

He's obviously looking what could be the most highly priced store-site, I have no doubts that he can find a cheaper site that sells/ships the card in Europe.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-15 22:46:01

So, I had this old 17" LG LCD monitor which I bought about 5 years ago. It has (had) this ugly silver bezel around it and it didn't go with anything else (Whole computer = Black), so what did I do to finally make use of it and not allow my OCD get the better of me? I took it apart to the last damn screw, washed all the individual metal frames within it, spray pointed it black and put it all back together and hoped that it wouldn't blow up right after connecting it. And it sure as well did not go on fire and works as good as it did before. Not bad, ah.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-16 14:17:08

At 3/15/09 07:45 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
At 3/15/09 02:47 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: The 9800 GTX he linked to is 166.73EU
He's obviously looking what could be the most highly priced store-site, I have no doubts that he can find a cheaper site that sells/ships the card in Europe.

I converted it FROM the website you linked, though it was £10 cheaper.

Even so £30 more for double the graphical and being able to buy it from Europe is worth it.

Not counting "rebates" or however they work.

(Back from the dead!)

Thanks to TheWolfe for letting me steal his sig.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-16 15:51:52

I have a TRUE cooler, the best heat dissipation you can get on air. I've decided that I wasn't taking real advantage of it, running 24/7 at 3.8 Ghz. Which is why I love overclocking.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-16 22:41:37

At 3/16/09 03:51 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: I have a TRUE cooler, the best heat dissipation you can get on air. I've decided that I wasn't taking real advantage of it, running 24/7 at 3.8 Ghz. Which is why I love overclocking.

I kind of don't understand that pic at all, except that your comp stays pretty cool at 3.8GHz

Any cooling tips, oh wise one?

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-16 23:46:02

At 3/16/09 10:41 PM, TheWolfe wrote: Any cooling tips, oh wise one?

I'm not the one your asking, I know but I got a good tip of you're very serious about cooling and still use fans ;). Take all the metal panels off of it and let it out all bones and no skin.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-17 05:50:27

At 3/16/09 10:41 PM, TheWolfe wrote: Any cooling tips, oh wise one?

Don't get anything more than you need for a heatsink. I have a good heatsink, that's why I'm taking advantage of it. Currently stable at 4.15, load temps 62C.

At 3/17/09 01:15 AM, BlueFlameSkulls wrote: Sup computer crew.

Hey.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-17 15:55:35

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-17 16:15:47

At 3/16/09 11:46 PM, PolishMatt wrote: I'm not the one your asking, I know but I got a good tip of you're very serious about cooling and still use fans ;). Take all the metal panels off of it and let it out all bones and no skin.

I actually did this the other day. The HP Case was annoying me, and so I thought I'd get to know my shitty 500 dollar HP computer better. I'm getting a new PSU, GPU, and case tomorrow =D

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-17 17:22:53

At 3/17/09 03:55 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Fuck you Intel.

<3. Even though the world would be left with just one brand to choose from for their data execution needs, and Intel could start laying back and taking their sweet time making future processor releases, I wouldn't mind it. They would grow... a lot and would have no competition.

At 3/17/09 04:15 PM, TheWolfe wrote: I actually did this the other day. The HP Case was annoying me, and so I thought I'd get to know my shitty 500 dollar HP computer better. I'm getting a new PSU, GPU, and case tomorrow =D

That's really pushing it, but I can't say that I never saw it being done before. How much of a cooling advantage do you see from extracting it from a closed enclosure to open air?

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-17 20:19:02

At 3/17/09 05:22 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
At 3/17/09 03:55 PM, TacoFreak wrote: Fuck you Intel.
<3. Even though the world would be left with just one brand to choose from for their data execution needs, and Intel could start laying back and taking their sweet time making future processor releases, I wouldn't mind it. They would grow... a lot and would have no competition.

I think you misunderstand what this means for the industry. If AMD ever goes under, Intel is monopoly. At first, this means a $500 e8500. Then, monopoly laws will split it up into so many companies that CPU innovation will come to a screeching halt.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-17 21:40:08

At 3/17/09 08:19 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: If AMD ever goes under, Intel is monopoly. At first, this means a $500 e8500. Then, monopoly laws will split it up into so many companies that CPU innovation will come to a screeching halt.

I understand what may happen, have been taking business for a while now, I was just saying how things would more so turn out for myself, the consumer, then the industry. Now that you mention it, it is a bad thing but I actually have doubt that it will happen. AMD will most likely just go with the license agreement issues, pay up to Intel and the world will continue to spin.

At 3/17/09 08:49 PM, BlueFlameSkulls wrote:

:Hot air rises and exits out the top of the rear I.E. the power supply and rear case fan (there are antec cases that have the PSU at the bottom instead for some bizzare reason).

The Voodoo series of desktops have their motherboards placed at a slight angle to increase air flow, I think it's just silly.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-18 22:00:57

Well I got the new PSU GPU and case in today. Took a few hours to put it all together. Never knew the 9800 GTX+ 512mb was so fucking big. Barely fits, and actually blocks the cable for the CD Drive, so now I cant use it unless the case is open...and when I put the CD in, and "DemoShield Player" stops working. I had to manually explore the files and download the drivers, then direct x9. I can now see a lot more bight colors and everything looks slightly richer, but when I play a movie and full screen it, you can tell there are large pixels, even though the colors are better. I'm confused. Did I forget to install something? I turned off my onboard graphics card, restarted...my only hope is the movies just look like shit when fullscreened, so now im going to play Portal, and if it works, it means my GPU is alright.
Also, my system doesn't recognize the model of my GPU, just that it exists.

Any ideas?

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-18 22:15:32

At 3/18/09 10:11 PM, BlueFlameSkulls wrote: Um stupid question but did you uninstall the old drivers before moving your parts into the new case and install the new drivers?

I went to the device manager and unistalled the graphics card that was there and restarted, but i dont know if that was actually the drivers or not. How can i check?

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-18 22:38:23

At 3/18/09 10:21 PM, BlueFlameSkulls wrote:
You could check in the old fashioned "Add and Remove programs". I can uninstall drivers from there. Then check device manager again.

All I found were the drivers I installed today. Nothing else looked like the old drivers, I think I uninstalled them. I think the real problem is the CD not being able to auto run. I only clicked on 2 apps when exploring and downloaded a few things, and I'm sure I missed something. I googled the problem, demosheildplayer, and EVERY thread I read ended up in no solution.

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-18 23:01:09

At 3/18/09 10:44 PM, BlueFlameSkulls wrote: May I ask what your motherboard is?

I'm not sure. I once looked it up and saw it was shitty. It only has one or two slots for cards...it came in an HP prebuilt set that was 500 bucks, and included a monitor, so you know the parts are really lacking...came with a PSU of 250watts...

Maybe in a very rare case your motherboard isn't compatible with the graphics card. Or you could download the drivers off nvidia's site rather than using the CD drivers. But I'm guessing you downloaded them already.

I could try that and see if thats it.

In addition what goes wrong with demoshield player? Any error codes or does it just lock up?

Its like when FF has too much shit going on and it freezes, then a little window says it stopped working and then tells you it has to close.

The picture here is my hardware diagnostics poor attempt at telling me what my mobo is. In the meantime Ill find some program to download and detect it.

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-18 23:06:08

Ok I found it. Here's the link:
HP Compaq Asus Motherboard M2N68-LA NARRA3 5189-1661

I'll attach the pic of it...

Also, I reinstalled Quicktime, because it included demosheild. Doubt it does anything though.

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-18 23:19:08

At 3/18/09 11:13 PM, BlueFlameSkulls wrote: This link was the first to come up for Pegatron Benicia. Seems the guy in that is having some weird problems.

Alright, Ill check it out.

I would get a new motherboard personally. I trust you are able to fit a new board in? Gotta remember little things like getting some thermal paste for the CPU and brass spacers to ground it.
But you just got a new GPU and other stuff so money is probably a little tight.

Yeah, it is. I mean, I COULD use up the rest of my savings, but will only do so if I need to. If I get a new mobo, do I have to get a cpu too, or can I just move it? I only have a dual 2.2, and have been wanting to upgrade to the $185 2.8, but I don't have that kind of money yet.

Its like when FF has too much shit going on and it freezes, then a little window says it stopped working and then tells you it has to close.
I understand that. Not sure how to remedy that.

Neither does anyone else on the internet

In the meantime try googling things like "pegatron belicia".

Good idea

I think this might be my last post for the night. I'll post tomorrow if you're still having trouble.

I'll try this stuff out, but will probably ask you what mobos you recommend, etc
thanks

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-19 00:32:07

At 3/18/09 11:13 PM, BlueFlameSkulls wrote: I would get a new motherboard personally. I trust you are able to fit a new board in? Gotta remember little things like getting some thermal paste for the CPU and brass spacers to ground it.

This is the part where an upgrade becomes a complete rebuild due to crappy stock build. This had happen to me last summer.. almost, I hated it. But yeah, I would personally go with a new mobo as well but the problem wouldn't really end there, because then there might be the issue of it not fitting inside the case (New case = $$) and if you go that far, you should of had just built a nicer COMPLETELY new rig rather than slowly picking at the current rig. Maybe it's my OCD, but I wouldn't be able to live with that.

Also 250 watt PSU? Wow.

Didn't even know they make those anymore. Yet again, it was suppose to be just one of those computers for people who don't know much and want to just check their mail and stuff, right?

At 3/18/09 11:19 PM, TheWolfe wrote: Yeah, it is. I mean, I COULD use up the rest of my savings, but will only do so if I need to. If I get a new mobo, do I have to get a cpu too, or can I just move it? I only have a dual 2.2, and have been wanting to upgrade to the $185 2.8, but I don't have that kind of money yet.

You can swap the processor as long as you get a motherboard that has the same socket type as the processor. You will need to buy some new thermal paste (2$) for the processor because it makes the heat transfer between the processor and heat sink much more effective. What do you mean by 'dual 2.2' ? I'm a bit rusty today, sorry.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-19 06:23:24

At 3/18/09 11:01 PM, TheWolfe wrote: I'm not sure. I once looked it up and saw it was shitty. It only has one or two slots for cards...it came in an HP prebuilt set that was 500 bucks, and included a monitor, so you know the parts are really lacking...came with a PSU of 250watts...

250 watts isn't enough for any kind of real computer. You WILL need a new one.

Motherboard

The picture you linked is wrong, that's AMD while your CPU is intel.

Unfortunately, you will almost certainly have to scrap everything in your current computer. I can almost guarantee you that a modern CPU will not work in the motherboard, because companies don't bother themselves with bios updates for their boards. The best CPU it would support it likely just a top of the line Pentium, IF THAT.

In this sense, Dell is the worst brand I've ever seen. They go through extra trouble to make sure every part is proprietary, that way you are forced to order parts through them at an extreme price. Most of the parts from my dad's old Dell are worthless because they don't work in other computers or even other dell models.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-20 20:06:57

Wow guys, thanks for talking over this a lot.
But I'm in deep shit.

Here's what I've done recently:

1. Delete onboard drivers (didn't work)
2. Took out 9800 to try and reinstall drivers
3. When trying that, the desktop said "Not a genuine copy of Vista"
4. Said "wtf?" and restarted
5. BSoD

I'm so fucked.

I talked to a computer teacher at my school. We decided that it was probably due to one part, and I should try and see what I can do with what I have. It could have been the PSU, the shit Mobo (I don't know why the link was an AMD, it looked exactly like mine, w/e point is its cheap), or it could be the GPU.

I lost my old Vista backup discs because I moved recently, and so decided to try an old laptop backup of XP. Got it to work!!!! But for some reason it isn't detecting my wifi, and my wifi usb "card" isn't turning on...

Now I'm downloading and will burn ubuntu using another (this, my dads) computer, and try that. I've never used linux, so this will be a first. If I could get XP to detect wifi, I'd be fine. Linux might not either. It seems I have several problems to fix:

*CD autorun wont play (demoshield player)
*XP won't work with wifi
*Onboard drivers deleted, have to use 9800 (Right?)
*Still don't know what caused BSoD

What do you think caused this? And what should I do now? I plan to save up and get a new Mobo and CPU, and possibly mail back my 9800 and get a new one...

If this is unclear, I'll make a video and put it on youtube, and link it here explaining my problem.

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-20 20:22:29

At 3/20/09 08:06 PM, TheWolfe wrote:

There's a lot of hardware Ubuntu isn't fully compatible with, so it's hit and miss.

This solution is temporary, but I suggest you torrent a Windows 7 build. It's a free beta, so it's not illegal. The beta doesn't expire until August or so I believe, so that will give you some breathing room.

It would also be your best bet with hardware compatibility. GO GO GO!

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-20 21:09:43

Thanks for the advice you two. For right now, the mobo seems to WORK (not fried) but I'm guessing isn't compatible...I think I'll get a new mobo and just convert the CPU untill I save up for that. On step at a time I suppose.

For now, I downloaded unbuntu and have now finished burning it. Didn't take very long.

However windows 7 is 3GB and is going to take 20 hours or so. A couple questions here:

1. Is it ok for me to install ubuntu now (without using the 9800 which I cant use until I get a new mobo), because I might want windows 7 later. Can I overwrite it later on?

2. So now I'm stuck with a GPU until I get a mobo, which might take awhile...what happens if the GPU has some error with it and when I get the better mobo and my warranty on the GPU (30 days i think, newegg) expires, what do I do with a busted GPU? Buy another?

Can I return the GPU and get my money back, and then order a new one when I get a new mobo?

And jesus, how shitty does a system have to be to get BSoD when installing a new GPU?

Fuck. God doesn't like me.

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-20 23:16:42

At 3/20/09 09:31 PM, BlueFlameSkulls wrote: Of course. I've never used linux but you should be able to format and install windows. Or you could set up a partition. One for linux and the other for windows. You may need to know some various command prompt...command witchcraft and the sort. I can't remember the key where you can enter all the options to format, fdisk and partitioning.

Sounds complicated. Hopefully it won't be so confusing.

How long is a while? Chances are the newer mobo will pick it up with ease. PCI express is more user friendly. I found from my travels on the net after researching bits about it as I need a new graphics card. PCI-E 2.0 is forward and backwards compatible with PCI-E cards.

I have to wait to save up money for the mobo, and chances are ill wait untill I get the cpu with it, to avoid having to take out an old cpu, reapplying it, and then 6 months later putting in a new one.
What i meant was maybe the GPU fucked everything up in the first place (Its PNY, not NVIDIA, 40 bucks cheaper) or maybe it was the mobo. I have no way of telling.

I would imagine most computer parts have a much longer warranty than 30 days. All my computer bits came with a card or slip of paper that explained their warranty. But I doubt you'll be able to return it after 30 days. The card you have is an extremely good one and I doubt that is the problem.

I hope so, I don't know where to find that shit, and I also have to find the rebates. What a pain.

And jesus, how shitty does a system have to be to get BSoD when installing a new GPU?
It happens.

One more note. If you're getting a new mobo and using the current CPU. For the love of good get the right mobo with the right socket and make sure you put on a new layer of thermal paste if the CPU and heatsink fan come apart in case when removing it from the old one.

I've never had to put on a new layer of themal paste before so I'm unsure how you go about it except for cleaning the old layer off.

Ya ya alright. Sounds easy enough. Another question, is it safe to install ubuntu, and then try my GPU again? Im eager to get this thing working, but I dont want to fuck things up again. And even if I did mess up linux, id have a CD to start over from (unlike vista).

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-20 23:40:04

So I've been looking at new mobos and cpus, and there are some great combo deals.
Full list here:
Combos!
I found a Dual Core 3.0 w/ a mobo for under $300 (my limit) and I think that would be the one. I still need to make sure the mobo can do a 9800GTX+ (and it should, but it's the same company as my shit one now).
I hear AMDs are cheaper, but I'm still not convinced...What do you guys think? Can you find something better/cheaper/better bang for you buck?

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-21 02:43:54

Thanks Blue. Sounds like a good plan, but for now here's where I am.
I installed kubuntu, took a couple hours, got in, graphics card seems to work. I then put in the CD drivers...failed to work. Looked up Linux Drivers...none found...hoped it would work anyway, put in COD5...didn't work. Googled it, and LINUX DOESNT GO WELL WITH GAMES? Well shit, what makes it any different than being a free mac os? I was liking the feel of linux for awhile, but that ruins it. I am now awaiting the Windows 7 torrent on my dads comp, which at the current rate should take 13 hours. Once I do that, Ill repeat the process of:
Try drivers CD
Try and find Drivers online
Try COD5

All I want is a functioning computer that can make use of my $100 GPU. I want to play games!
Will probably order the mobo/cpu after I get the rebates in, which will probably be after I try windows 7 in 13 hours.

What a shit hole I've gotten myself into. Still don't know what caused the BSoD, have to assume shitty mobo, even though everything seems to work now on the linux (im using the 9800 too, and the colors are looking goood).

Wish me luck on my quest...

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-21 06:45:39

At 3/20/09 11:40 PM, TheWolfe wrote: Combos!

Protip: Newegg combos suck.

Ba dum and tsh

Little cheaper and a far better value. The e7400 can OC as far as the 8400 once you learn how to work it.

Also, as far as thermal paste goes, this is the best stuff on the market. I saw 3C drops over Arctic Silver 5. As far as application goes, there are many arguements on what is the best way, but in my opinion that would probably be the dot method. When you compress the heatsink down on the cpu, it will spread extremely thin over the die of the CPU, which is optimal. Personally, I suggest a slightly bigger dot than the picture, but it's just an example.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-21 08:48:12

At 3/21/09 07:06 AM, Lizzardis wrote: Whoops, bad picture!

There we go. It should be better now.

What resolution is your monitor? That's a big factor in deciding how powerful your GPU needs to be.
e5200 is a Pentium, get an e7400. Also, for the money, 4 gigs is worth it.

Gigabyte is a good brand, but I would suggest an intel motherboard from the P43/P45 series, instead of micro-atx boards. More features and all around better.

Don't forget you will need a hard drive, DVD drive, OS, and case as well if you don't already.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-21 11:20:07

At 3/21/09 06:45 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote:
At 3/20/09 11:40 PM, TheWolfe wrote: Combos!
Protip: Newegg combos suck.

Ba dum and tsh

Nice find! I was looking forward to the 2.8, but I remember seeing it priced at 185, but I guess it's cheaper than I thought. At $220, this is in my price range. Any reason I can't just use the paste that comes with it instead of spending 7 bucks on an unfamiliar site for a paste I don't understand or don't know how to use?

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-03-21 11:32:04

At 3/21/09 11:20 AM, TheWolfe wrote: Nice find! I was looking forward to the 2.8, but I remember seeing it priced at 185,

You were probably looking at at AMD quad.
:At $220, this is in my price range.
YAY!

Any reason I can't just use the paste that comes with it instead of spending 7 bucks on an unfamiliar site for a paste I don't understand or don't know how to use?

The difference in thermal paste can be up to 10C over the included stuff, even on a stock Intel heatsink. In end-user terms, that can mean about 500mhz of OC overhead you otherwise wouldn't have.