00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Blozeoff just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my!

38,188 Views | 295 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 06:34:08

At 10/2/08 02:56 AM, mechanixnut wrote: Hey this is a really cool feature.

Hi matt!

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 09:05:49

At 10/2/08 03:21 AM, SeizureDog wrote: Suggestions and questions:
#1: There needs to be the option to credit users with multiple roles.
#2: The "Other" role should allow for a text input field for specific information. This would also be a good place to encourage groups like the Star Syndicate to list their junk co-authors. (Not that they'll listen, but still.)
#3: When the hell would "Crew" be used?
#4: What's the difference from "Producer" and "Sponsor"?
#5: Non Credited Authors needs an "Other" option for sure.

1. Hoping we might come up with a good solution for this once we have a wider layout with more room.

2. The original design doc DID include just that - a text field that lets you enter whatever you want. There were concerns about abuse... I don't like the idea of the site being held back because a few people will misuse a feature, but there are other benefits to sticking with a strict list, such as being able to sort users by skillset and keeping things less confusing in general.

3. "Crew" can be used when you co-author your crew. Examples include Clock Crew, Star Syndicate, etc. Who knows, maybe this will be more helpful than co-authoring 9 random people... But we'll see. The long-term plan is that accounts CAN become group accounts that are occupied by multiple members and moderators, but it's hard to say when that will become a reality. We're just now moving past the post-redesign, post-store quagmire.

4. A sponsor is someone who paid you for a plug in your Flash, whereas a producer is more likely to have played a more active role throughout development. It's possible sponsors will choose to be called producers, though. One example is Armor Games, which produces its own in-house games but also sponsors games.

5. Yeah that does seem to be missing there. :)

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 09:09:54

At 10/2/08 06:16 AM, DrDickHead wrote: What about more movie genres?

- Horror
For grotesque, scary flashes. Like ones made by SickDeathFiend and others

- Fighting/ Brawlers
Just look at how many stick fights and sprite fighting movies there are

We are hoping the TAG system will manage a lot of this. Eventually we will highlight specific prominent collections for mediums such as STICKS, CLAY, etc... At this point artists could know which tags to use to fit into those categories. The ACTION category is currently a good place for stick fights, Madness tributes, etc...

There are already looming questions like, is Fallen Angel ACTION or DRAMA. Is The Assumption Song a MUSIC VIDEO or COMEDY. Eventually we might have to just allow two categorizations... For now we're trying to not go overboard.

I'm trying to be careful not to mesh mediums and themes with the general categories. For example, SCI FI can be DRAMA or COMEDY or ACTION... So we wouldn't want SCI FI to be alongside those categories, we would want it to be its own note alongside a submission, as a tag.

With games, we can manage to get into smaller sub-categories, although there are still submissions that cross borders. But we treat it differently... Like any game type could be COMEDY, so for a game, you might actually want to tag it as COMEDY... It's like a total reversal of movies, but games and movies are very different things and we're trying to approach this in a way that best caters to how they should be sorted.

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 09:14:35

At 10/2/08 06:16 AM, DrDickHead wrote: - Adult 18+ or NSFW
This could group in flashes from people like ZONE-SAMA

Also, this will be addressed by a system for filtering by ratings.

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 09:35:03

Will there be a friends feature next?

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 11:33:18

At 10/2/08 09:35 AM, Sawdust wrote: Will there be a friends feature next?

i thought there already was a post about that being in development, and the design looked good

problem with the Audio Revenue, i set all my songs back to 0% and there was this error message "Error - Missing/invalid parameters."

probably the syntax is wrong in the coding of this feature, but what do i know?

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 11:40:23

At 10/2/08 03:21 AM, SeizureDog wrote:
Stuff about copyright

Yeah I was also considering that, seeing as Ng is getting bigger and bigger and has already some people all pissy about copyright and that was before money and adverts.

I am gay for three men. Three Sexy, Handsome, Boneriffic young men.

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 11:52:38

At 10/2/08 09:05 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 10/2/08 03:21 AM, SeizureDog wrote: #5: Non Credited Authors needs an "Other" option for sure.
5. Yeah that does seem to be missing there. :)

I think throwing in some parts like Voice would be helpful too, as some submissions rely on a particular VA but not necessarily in a way that they'd require a proper co-author.

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 11:55:23

At 10/2/08 11:52 AM, Wonchop wrote: I think throwing in some parts like Voice would be helpful too, as some submissions rely on a particular VA but not necessarily in a way that they'd require a proper co-author.

Like Colin and the wishing tree.

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 12:09:21

aww sweet a newgrounds calendar i cant wait for that!!

cherry garcia: its like having an angel cum in your mouth

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 12:10:37

At 10/2/08 09:14 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 10/2/08 06:16 AM, DrDickHead wrote: - Adult 18+ or NSFW
This could group in flashes from people like ZONE-SAMA
Also, this will be addressed by a system for filtering by ratings

good idea tom :)

cherry garcia: its like having an angel cum in your mouth

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 12:19:16

At 10/2/08 03:21 AM, SeizureDog wrote: Ironically, this also violates the "Noncommercial" part of the Creative Commons License used for submissions from the Audio Portal.

The Non-Commercial part means that they can't make money off of your music without coming to an agreement with the composer. But some composers might want to just give away all their music with no strings attatched, which is why that they're gonna implement a feature that lets you change CC licenses if you wish, hopefully during the next AP update.

...hopefully.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 12:37:17

Almost everything show is funny, shame linked this week on an episode that wasn't as funny as others. One of my questions got through to the show once.

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 13:34:05

At 10/2/08 12:10 PM, therealanimator wrote:
At 10/2/08 09:14 AM, TomFulp wrote: Also, this will be addressed by a system for filtering by ratings
good idea tom :)

We have a whole new content sorting / ranking system that was initially designed for "the great redesign of 2007", but like all the new ideas it got pushed aside for the sake of actually launching the redesign. The system will eventually apply to all the portals on NG and will hopefully give everyone better access to a lot more content.

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 14:00:15

At 10/2/08 09:05 AM, TomFulp wrote: 1. Hoping we might come up with a good solution for this once we have a wider layout with more room.

This is one I'd like to see come to fruition. I had a hard time going through my cartoons and going, "is JackBadass a Writer or Voice?" I'd like to see one prominent role and then a drop-down or something with, like, up to three more credits for them or something.

Also, (and I'm sure you've thought of this / covered this) it would be cool to see people's roles in cartoons from their Profile. Like an NG IMDb.

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 14:43:12

Hey tom, how about a tribute movie genre?

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 14:45:33

I mean, a genre for flash movies that are tributes to certain shows/people.

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 15:16:46

At 10/2/08 12:19 PM, Rig wrote: But some composers might want to just give away all their music with no strings attatched, which is why that they're gonna implement a feature that lets you change CC licenses if you wish, hopefully during the next AP update.

Yeah, I was going to suggest that. It's silly that you don't have the option to upload music under freer licenses.

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 15:26:42

At 10/2/08 02:45 PM, Zeug wrote: I mean, a genre for flash movies that are tributes to certain shows/people.

They just go into that shows collection, madness for example.

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 17:22:46

At 10/2/08 02:00 PM, KupaMan wrote: Also, (and I'm sure you've thought of this / covered this) it would be cool to see people's roles in cartoons from their Profile. Like an NG IMDb.

Yeah whenever I look at IMDB I wonder if that is how Flash credits should someday look. The users FLASH page will likely fall into the new content management system eventually, so we could try to address it then.

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 17:24:50

At 10/2/08 02:45 PM, Zeug wrote: I mean, a genre for flash movies that are tributes to certain shows/people.

Yeah this is an area that has been vexing the hell out of me.

I am tempted to say that every submission should carry a value apart from everything else, and that is "ORIGINAL" or "DERIVATIVE." This way, it can be funny, serious, a game, a music video, WHATEVER, and we would still know if it is referencing existing material (as specified in the tags), or if it is original work. We are trying to not get carried away with data overkill but it does feel like it would solve a lot of questions.

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 17:26:57

At 10/2/08 03:26 PM, Scuzzfest wrote:
They just go into that shows collection, madness for example.

Have a lot of plans on how all this stuff is gonna shape up to the future, but I bite my tongue a lot because it takes us a long time to implement all these changes and there are plenty of people who take notes of what NG does so they can copy it or beat us to it... So for now I'll just say.... We have a lot of plans to better organize content.

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 17:31:34

Glad to hear about adding 0% as an option :)

I also approve of trying to keep the genre list down and only adding when needed. It can be frustrating having genres disorganized and means you miss out on lots of films. It also just feels messy and unpleasant.

So keeping things like "sci-fi" and other things that aren't covered by genre confined to tags seems a good idea. But how come only 3 tag options? It's hard if your movie is a parody of something and you want to write the title of the parody, but most titles are at least 3 words already, so there's not room for other things that the movie might be.
But also need to be cautious of abuse, I suppose. We don't want hundreds of spam movies all with tags like: "FINAL FANTASY METAL GEAR HALO 300 MATRIX DRAGONBALL Z AWESOME COOL SEXY BOOBS FUNNY"

I've just realized the 'edit' option has vanished on some of my audio submissions. I imagine this is to do with them being used in films, but how am I supposed to edit the author comment or give them preview pictures? I'm not sure if this is a glitch to do with the update or not, so sorry if this is not a new thing.

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 19:01:13

At 10/2/08 05:31 PM, Ockeroid wrote: I've just realized the 'edit' option has vanished on some of my audio submissions. I imagine this is to do with them being used in films, but how am I supposed to edit the author comment or give them preview pictures? I'm not sure if this is a glitch to do with the update or not, so sorry if this is not a new thing.

Yeah, that's been bugging me ever since the redesign. Flash authors simply lose the ability to remove their stuff once it's passed a viewing/vote threshold, while composers can't even edit the description after it gets 3000 listens or used in a flash :(

I'm guessing that there's a lot of back-end work to be done before the AP has all the features of the FP.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 19:03:00

A small thing I noticed. The "Edit Movie Icon" section is missing. I can't edit the icons to my movies, because the option isn't even there.

I have a Twitter that I link to everywhere. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 19:37:01

Sweeeet. Thanx Tom.

All within me gone, but pain and hope. Hoping that the pain would fade away!

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 20:34:25

At 10/2/08 05:24 PM, TomFulp wrote: I am tempted to say that every submission should carry a value apart from everything else, and that is "ORIGINAL" or "DERIVATIVE."

That is incredibly important for the Audio Portal. When looking for original music it would be nice to sort out all the VG remixes. The same way Loops and Songs are seperated maybe.

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 20:49:54

Hrm...

I'm trying to put in appropriate titles for 'Pico Jr. Jr. v0.6' and whatever I put in, it says, "Please ensure that you have designated an approriate role for each contributor, which most accurately reflects their contribution to the submission."

I started off with me as a designer/Zenon as 'sound', then tried author&sound, author&miscellaneous, author&author, even programmer&sound. (I'm not the programmer, but thought maybe there was some code in place to ensure there's at least one programmer for a game.)

I love the new system, in theory. Annoyed it's not working for me.

In other news, I think a good title would be 'level designer'.

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 21:59:50

its good to see NG growing and evolving :)

kiss my ass!

im an attention whore DUR!

BBS Signature

Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! 2008-10-02 23:38:24

At 10/2/08 09:09 AM, TomFulp wrote: We are hoping the TAG system will manage a lot of this. Eventually we will highlight specific blah blah blah...

You dirty, dirty spammer.

I'm a mod!/ Sign up for the NGPD, To Blam and Protect. Post in the thread if you want to join, all new recruits are welcome! :)

BBS Signature