Matt475
Matt475
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 07:58 PM Reply

"reguardless of whether you have direct"

HA HA Tom made a typo. Lets all point and laugh, cause hes human.

NegativeONE
NegativeONE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Game Developer
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 07:59 PM Reply

At 9/30/08 06:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: If you check out Madness Regent, you will notice that authors can now have unique descriptions above their names, such as Programmer and Artist. We've been in dire need of this feature ever since the whole Johnny Rocketfingers 2 controversy, where NegativeOne has finally been credited as the Programmer.

Haha, well there's some closure on a long-running issue. Thanks for the update

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:00 PM Reply

I like these new toys... i kinda dont like the force 1% thing tho... like in pico blast we have one audio guy doing all our songs and we bought his songs and custom songs that he later uploaded to the portal so he could benefit from reviews. but now i gotta tag it with a percentage point for each single song.. makes me scared if i had used the complete slew of songs by the same author i had in mind. 1% doesnt bug me, but like 10 songs at 1% probably would.. meh maybe this is a unique case.

None

X-Gary-Gigax-X
X-Gary-Gigax-X
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Art Lover
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:01 PM Reply

At 9/30/08 06:28 PM, SamIam wrote: I love you guys!

*nuzz*

BBS Signature
Nintechno
Nintechno
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:03 PM Reply

Awesome, I guess people will now have to maek sure that they have a decent icon, cuz they show up nou...

My Music | Me | F-777 | Kr1z | Audio Portal | For teh lulz ^^

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:07 PM Reply

At 9/30/08 06:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: We just released several long-awaited features!

FEATURE 1: Descriptive Author Titles

WOW! This is what I've been wanting for ages! Most of my flashes have different voice actors and I felt silly to co-author them on every flash they did voice acting to. Now, I don't feel so bad to credit them for every flash they did voice acting to. :) However, before you added the Voice category, I had to add all my voice actors into Sound category. But when voice was added, I was pretty pissed considering I already updated half of my flashes with the new features!! >:( Oh well, at least there's a Voice category now.

FEATURE 2: Specific, Author-Defined Genre Info

Another great feature, and lol at the Spam category. My only complaint about the categories is that there's no quiz category. There's quite a lot of quiz games in the portal, so I think there should be a quiz category. However, it depends what you and the other staff members think, Tom.

FEATURE 3: Revenue Sharing with Co-Authors and Musicians

Another great feature! I have to admit, I've yet to try the Flash API feature, but I'll see what I can do soon. :)

Everyone with Flash submissions should do the following:

1) Log in and access your account options page.
2) Under Flash Portal Options, visit your Flash Submissions page.
3) EDIT each submission with updates to the following: Author titles, revenue splits and genre.

Already done around 70 of my flashes. Damn, going through all my flashes for these new features is taking some time, but at least I'm passed the half way point. :)

A big thanks to all the NG staff for these awesome new features! :D

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

JKMonkey
JKMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Art Lover
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:09 PM Reply

the updates look good, but sadely I cant make it to Tokyo for the Tokyo Game Show

|"My dick was in the Guinness Boom of World Records... Then I left the library.|

BBS Signature
NinjaDog87
NinjaDog87
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:12 PM Reply

i would just like to post some news:i am submitting my comic shorts to the (North tonowanda)newspaper. so if yu want to check em out,look in the news for ninja dog. mi acount name is named after the seires not the series after the name.

Koalafish
Koalafish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate

At 9/30/08 06:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: FEATURE 1: Descriptive Author Titles

If you check out Madness Regent, you will notice that authors can now have unique descriptions above their names, such as Programmer and Artist. We've been in dire need of this feature ever since the whole Johnny Rocketfingers 2 controversy, where NegativeOne has finally been credited as the Programmer.

Love the idea, it helps for me and my friends series Just a Pilot, cause we both write but only he does the animation. But that brings me to one suggestion, it would be good if I could list my friend as both the writer and animator, cause then it sounds like I'm just the writer and I don't wanna take to much credit.

MegamanMegafan
MegamanMegafan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Art Lover

LOL

I'm sorry, I just thought of a new Author type.
I could imagine looking at a collab and down at the bottom there would be one contributor defined as a...

FREELOADER

That would be so funny to see. I couldn't help but mention it. I wouldn't suggest actually adding that though.

Programmer
Artist
Freeloader
Voice
Other

I invented the "Informative" genre. Its better than having to call your flash "Educational." Who the hell wants to be educated on Newgrounds?

BBS Signature
Chickumbleh
Chickumbleh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:15 PM Reply

At 9/30/08 06:16 PM, DrJam wrote: Genre, Spam

Lol Epic Win

Renandchi2
Renandchi2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Filmmaker
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:16 PM Reply

nice, tom. i saw bob's old submission, and it had his profile image (this happened before i read this), so i was like, wtf? but how come on te new layout, you cant search the names of artists usernames, if you dont know the number of it? anyways, nice updates!

/

Elroy
Elroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:16 PM Reply

While I like the new "titles" thing, I dislike that you've replaced text buttons with the little icons. It just makes the space seem a little..... empty.

BBS Signature
Wonchop
Wonchop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Animator
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:17 PM Reply

Pretty nifty. It'll make crediting some of the Weebl things easier.

Afro-Ninja
Afro-Ninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:20 PM Reply

At 9/30/08 08:00 PM, Luis wrote: I like these new toys... i kinda dont like the force 1% thing tho... like in pico blast we have one audio guy doing all our songs and we bought his songs and custom songs that he later uploaded to the portal so he could benefit from reviews. but now i gotta tag it with a percentage point for each single song.. makes me scared if i had used the complete slew of songs by the same author i had in mind. 1% doesnt bug me, but like 10 songs at 1% probably would.. meh maybe this is a unique case.

nah, I ran into this too- with territory war I have two coauthors and a number of custom songs, paid for through previous arrangements (minus darkside, I didn't forget about ya ;) so now if I update territory war I lose almost 10% of my earnings. I know the system is about being fair but I think 0% should be an option somehow :/

other things to note:

- when updating a submission, if the submission previously had generic audio credits (something not linked to the audio portal), that field doesn't carry over to the edit form and is wiped out unless you re-enter it. Not a big deal, just bringing it to attention

- the list of coauthors should be ordered by our choosing, now that we can add them in a particular order. I added kelwynshade as a music author to the crystal lake game but his name now (alphabetically) appears before sleazerocker, even though sleaze rocker played a much larger part in producing the game

- the tags area should be a little more descriptive, such as what we should use to delimit each term and if we can/should enter multi-word tags

other than that I really like where this all is going!

BBS Signature
COKEHEAD75
COKEHEAD75
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:24 PM Reply

Sounds awesome.

COKEHEAD75

Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:26 PM Reply

awesome update, really love the new genre description

letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
PaperBat
PaperBat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:27 PM Reply

Not sure if this bug has come to your attention, but when your in the poratl, and click more recent submittions, it shows all the submittions as "<Deleted>"

R.I.P Michael Jackson, I will deeply miss you

BBS Signature
Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:28 PM Reply

Can somebody give me a thorough explanation on how flash ads work?

I just did all the information on my flash submissions, it's actually pretty cool.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

MegamanMegafan
MegamanMegafan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Art Lover
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:28 PM Reply

At 9/30/08 08:27 PM, PaperBat wrote: Not sure if this bug has come to your attention, but when your in the poratl, and click more recent submittions, it shows all the submittions as "<Deleted>"

Yeah, I noticed that too.
What's up with that? Will it be fixed soon?

I invented the "Informative" genre. Its better than having to call your flash "Educational." Who the hell wants to be educated on Newgrounds?

BBS Signature
Wonchop
Wonchop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Animator
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:29 PM Reply

At 9/30/08 07:50 PM, TomFulp wrote:

Eventually the layout may be wider and submission thumbnails may be larger, so that space may not feel so crowded in relation.

Oh god does that mean we'll have to redo our icons so they're not all pixelly and stuff? D= It's Sheezyart all over again.
And the 1% thing does indeed blow balls, especially if you're just editing the old submissions that have long since lost their chance for ads or awards and thus aren't gonna be making any money anytime soon.
Sorry if I'm feeling a bit greedy. I blame Wario.

Momo-the-Monkey
Momo-the-Monkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:35 PM Reply

Just as a random comment, I think that you should be able to play back the songs on the Flash game/movie page, the viewing page rather.

I just think it'd be more convenient when wanting to figure out which song is which in the song without having to jump to another page.

Hello, from the past!
[ PHP: Main ]

BBS Signature
Sispri
Sispri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:36 PM Reply

Lol, nice work guys. I love how one of the genres is spam. :u

Lost-Wisdom
Lost-Wisdom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:38 PM Reply

Looks very nice, thanks for another great update.

Everything I see is just a image of my thoughts "Always looking for a better day..."
What's your fastest reaction time?
-[Audiosurf Club]-

BBS Signature
Wonchop
Wonchop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Animator
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:38 PM Reply

Also Flash Ads aside, wouldn't typing in crap concerning prizes be redundant since we're gonna have to PM Bob anyway to tell him how to split any money/what shirts people want/etc?

As far as the title bit goes, it's pretty neat, but it would be nice to select multiple jobs for one person. (For example, for something like Credit Crunch, I'd credit TheWeebl as Writer, Voice and Music.)

Aryk
Aryk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:40 PM Reply

I don't know if this was noticed yet, but when you click on "Play Movie", it fades in instead of just appearing. The edges are also rounded now- I don't know if they were before.

liljim
liljim
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:41 PM Reply

At 9/30/08 08:27 PM, PaperBat wrote: Not sure if this bug has come to your attention, but when your in the poratl, and click more recent submittions, it shows all the submittions as "<Deleted>"

Thanks for the heads up, that should be fixed now.

liljim
liljim
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:42 PM Reply

At 9/30/08 08:38 PM, Wonchop wrote: Also Flash Ads aside, wouldn't typing in crap concerning prizes be redundant since we're gonna have to PM Bob anyway to tell him how to split any money/what shirts people want/etc?

The idea is, that you won't have to do that.

liljim
liljim
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:42 PM Reply

At 9/30/08 08:40 PM, ArykSB wrote: I don't know if this was noticed yet, but when you click on "Play Movie", it fades in instead of just appearing. The edges are also rounded now- I don't know if they were before.

It's always done that and they were before.

Arby
Arby
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Rev-Split, Authors, Genres, oh my! Sep. 30th, 2008 @ 08:45 PM Reply

love love love love love

amazing new features =)

At first there was nothing, then it exploded. - Big bang