00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Peacock6k just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ng Viking Army

173,135 Views | 1,749 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-07 12:42:35

At 7/7/09 08:21 AM, Raingod wrote: I want to join

I'm pretty sure you'll be accepted, so I'll give you an informal welcome until HeavyTank gives the official thumbs up. Click on the link starting with "Thul..." in my sig and you'll find some info about the NGVA and some rules. If you're serious about the NGVA put a link to the thread in your sig.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-07 18:20:30

At 7/7/09 04:35 PM, Leidolfr wrote:
At 7/7/09 08:21 AM, Raingod wrote: I want to join

Weclome to the NG Viking Army.
Please post at least once every four days to inform us thar you're still alvie ;-)

Yup, I'm sure you'll be accepted [ I think we need to change the system a little, I don't know how, but it seems like more than one person should be able to accept, as we accept everyone until they fuck up. ]

Well, practically everyone is accepted, l usually promote users to the lower ranks (from apprentices to real members) and DeathNote makes the bigger promotions...

so yeah, welcome. uhh, so what about you? are you interested in vikings? do you know alot of shit already? are ya just here for whatever? I'm sure we'd all like to know

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-07 20:43:55

At 7/7/09 07:18 AM, HeavyTank wrote: Whoah, l just found out these two awesome books about Vikings..
Excpect a lot of info from me from now on..
Just lemme write down all the stuff or use OCR ;)

What books? Titles or linkage please :)

Thanks to Turkeybean for the sig.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-08 05:44:57

At 7/7/09 08:43 PM, HaveUbeenFooFighting wrote: What books? Titles or linkage please :)

Uh, one is a TIme Life book called Cultural Atlas of the Viking World.

The other one is from a series called Lost Civilization and it's called Vikings: Raiders From the North

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-08 06:26:04

So here we go...l know that an article about berserkers was already posted here but this one is kinda different...
Also, that reliquary in the pic has some runes that declare: "Rainvaig owns this casket."
It still cotains some relics in it.

Going Berserk: A Viking battle technique.
Of the many hundreds of words that entered the English language from Old Norse, the one with the most horrid ring is berserk.
And with good reason.
To ensure victory against their enemies, Viking cheiftains ofter found it necessary to employ a class of rabid warriors known as berserkers, or bear-shirts, so called apparently because of the animal skins they wore.
Devotees of Odin, god of warriors and the entranced, berserkers followed his bidding -forgoing even the most sacred of ties, those of family- and rushed headlong into battle, perhaps under the influence of self-hypnosis, hallucinogenic mushrooms, or other narcotic substances.
Sagas describe them as shrieking and leaping, sometimes naked, and oblivious to pan and injury.
A 13-century historian wrote that they were as "fenzied as wolves; they bit their shields; they were as strong as bears or boars; they struck men down, but neither fire not steel could mark them"
Reliable literary references suggest that while berserkers were indispensable in a fray and as bodyguards to cheiftains, their unstable behaviour made them a menace.
Indeed, some sagas portray them as persistent bullies, who are finally vanquished by the ancient texts' heroes.

That's all for now, but l there is much more to come!

Ng Viking Army

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-08 07:46:34

At 7/8/09 06:40 AM, Leidolfr wrote: first of all, great pic. and yeah, i knew most of that, but still cool. heres what wikipedia said about it

Hehe lol l wasn't trying to teach you anything, l know that you probably knew it ;)

The Úlfhéðnar (singular Úlfhéðinn) mentioned in the Vatnsd%u0153la saga,

Vatnsd%u0153la saga?Nice....

some cool little facts from wikipedia::

Nice

Now, more stuff:
The drum-shaped brooch in the pic would have been worn by a woman of Gotland, a Baltic island which was an independent state in the Midlle Ages, as an ornament in the middle of her chest.

Now for a bit of warfare (this is a very small section of a massive article, so l'll post the rest later):
All free men could carry weapons and were expected to follow their lord into battle.
The land was split up into units containing a certain number of farms, each of which, when required to do so, had to produce a fully equipped ship.
VIkings generally fought on foot, and their warships were were used mainly for transprt, although maritime engagements are mentioned in written sources.
The most commonly used weapon was the sword, a balanced and deadly weapon, but battle axes and spears were very popular too.
Short fighting knives and bows were also used.
The level of decoration of a man's sword depended upon the man's status.
An elaborate hilt denoted an important owner but it was the blade that was the most important part of the weapon since the warrior's life depended on it.
The double-edged blades were 70-80 cm long were light and flexible, strong and sharp.
Some of them were imported from the frankish empire.
The most famous Frankish swordsmith was Ulfberhts since a lot of swords have his name inlaid on them.

OK, this is it for now, the rest will be posted later.
Tell me what you think.

Ng Viking Army

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-08 09:13:56

Berserkers... *shudders*

Had a dream about them once, about 8 months ago. I was a man, about late 20s to early 30s, carrying a spear, dressed in cloth and fur, travelling through a snowy forest and I/he was ambushed by berserkers. I woke up very quickly. Never been too comfortable with the idea of them before, now I just find them creepy.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-08 09:41:23

Whoah. I always wanted to know something about berserkers.
This is very interesting.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-08 18:22:37

At 7/8/09 09:13 AM, EchoRun wrote: Berserkers... *shudders*

Had a dream about them once, about 8 months ago. I was a man, about late 20s to early 30s, carrying a spear, dressed in cloth and fur, travelling through a snowy forest and I/he was ambushed by berserkers. I woke up very quickly. Never been too comfortable with the idea of them before, now I just find them creepy.

Whoah, it must've really sucked for their enemies...since they were probably huge men with massive muscles it was likely that they would tear you apart with their own hands (or axea or spears) if they caught you...dang.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-08 21:16:54

At 7/8/09 06:22 PM, HeavyTank wrote: Whoah, it must've really sucked for their enemies...since they were probably huge men with massive muscles it was likely that they would tear you apart with their own hands (or axea or spears) if they caught you...dang.

Funny you should mention that... Yeah... I woke up very quickly, about 2 seconds after the ambush, though I got the impression that I missed that worst of it. *shudders again*

I got a lot of info from that dream, like I think he was a priest or something similar, and that the attack was political. It was also something of a surprise because although he felt wary it was like he wasn't expecting it to come to that, not so soon anyway. Very weird.

Stranger still is how real it all felt; usually my dreams are surreal to the point of being ridiculous, I can't not notice when I am dreaming but this was very different. I have only had a few other 'real' feeling ones before, one involving Egypt, another involving mountains in Japan, one with some kind of Budda statue and one about dogs, trained wearing collars, ripping a boy of African decent caught in a wide net to bits, which freaked me out because I felt what the boy was feeling and had the impression of people watching him (found out two weeks after that one that some rouge elements in the American army do that for sport - mega freak-out!).

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-09 00:40:24

Wrothgar would love to join your viking army! My mother was from a viking villiage and my father was a barbarian! I am Wrothgar the great, mighty, and best!

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-09 05:33:23

At 7/9/09 12:40 AM, Wrothgar-the-best wrote: Wrothgar would love to join your viking army! My mother was from a viking villiage and my father was a barbarian! I am Wrothgar the great, mighty, and best!

Wrothgar is accepted in the Viking Army!
Wrothgar must make sure he reads the "rules" on Vdviking's news page.

Also, EchoRun, damn, your dreams are very intense!
It's been at least 4 years since l last had a dream...

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-09 06:35:20

So, the awesome harness-mounts in the pic are again from Gotland and they display a mixture of native animal-art and of others animals and birds introduced from western Europe.

Now, for the second part of the warfare article:
Viking swords were made in a method known as pattern-welding whereby long strips of iron of slightly different composition were welded together to form a core, and a cutting edge of a harder and sharper steel was welded to the sides.
Then the blade was polished and a longitudinal groove (know as fuller) ground out along the whole length.
Swords were carried in scabbards made of strips of wood covered in leather and lined with fleece; the lanolin from the wool would have server to preserver the blade from tarnishing and rust.
The double-edged swords were used to slash at the enemy, no doubt inflicting terrible wounds.The mutilated bones of skeletons unhearted at Hedeby and elsewhere give some idea of the sort of injuries caused.
Short, single-edged fighting knives were designed for thrusting at the opponent when engaged in CQB (close quarters battle ;) ) , and the Vikng warriors sometimes carried both sword and knife.
The most effective thrusting weapon of all was the spear with its slender, tapering iron blade up to 50 cm long attached to a wooden shaft by means of a socket.
Some spears, like the finest quality swords, must have been weapons of status.

Next to come-the battle ax!

Ng Viking Army

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-09 10:51:13

At 7/8/09 06:22 PM, HeavyTank wrote:
Whoah, it must've really sucked for their enemies...since they were probably huge men with massive muscles it was likely that they would tear you apart with their own hands (or axea or spears) if they caught you...dang.

Maybe, but can you imagine a pirate fleet raiding Scandinavia?
Berserkers will come to protect and swift pirates will be running around them with a cutlass or a blunderbuss. Sometimes, being the strong muscle guy is not always good.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-09 12:51:59

At 7/8/09 09:13 AM, EchoRun wrote: Berserkers... *shudders*

What? I'd find naked, buff men with an animalistic bloodlust coming after me with intent to maim and slaughter rather frightening. I don't think creepy about covers it...

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-09 14:27:47

Wrothgar has read the rules and apparently right now I am a svein. Wrothgar shall rise through the ranks swiftly to Degn or Skald whichever is higher! My artistic skills must be blessed by Baldr. Quick question why did Odin and Rindir kill his twin blind brother Hoor when he had no idea what he was doing?

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-09 17:16:46

At 7/9/09 02:27 PM, Wrothgar-the-best wrote: Wrothgar has read the rules and apparently right now I am a svein. Wrothgar shall rise through the ranks swiftly to Degn or Skald whichever is higher! My artistic skills must be blessed by Baldr. Quick question why did Odin and Rindir kill his twin blind brother Hoor when he had no idea what he was doing?

You can draw?
If you can (and you can prove it), you may be promoted to Skald by our Jarl!

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-09 20:05:26

At 7/9/09 12:51 PM, DeathNoteetoNhtaeD wrote: What? I'd find naked, buff men with an animalistic bloodlust coming after me with intent to maim and slaughter rather frightening. I don't think creepy about covers it...

Oh the dream end was terrifying, but thankfully time and wakefulness do dim that memory somewhat. just cant shake the creepiness factor though.

At 7/9/09 05:16 PM, HeavyTank wrote: You can draw?
If you can (and you can prove it), you may be promoted to Skald by our Jarl!

Oh! I can! I have some pics on NG, but I haven't done any Viking style art though, just a little knotwork (not uploaded here)... hmm... well, that should give me something to do! *goes to do research*

Well, even if I don't make Skald, since I am gonna be studding the Runes I guess it would be appropriate for me at least have a go at some Viking art!

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-09 21:51:37

Man I wish I could do some viking artwork. sucks my drawings are sloppy.

I'm awesome.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-10 03:21:19

At 7/9/09 02:27 PM, Wrothgar-the-best wrote:

Quick question why did Odin and Rindir kill his twin blind brother Hoor when he had no idea what he was doing?

I assume you're talking about how Våle, the son of Odin and the giantess Rind, killed Höder, as a revenge for him killing Balder. Exactly why isn't clear, but there are older myths where Balder and Höder are rivals, and where Höder kills Balder in cold blood. The myths where Loki tricks Höder into killing Balder are of a younger date.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-10 08:32:52

You know what, I am good at drawing. Maybe I can draw something viking-like and submit it to the Art Portal to see if it is worth of.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-10 10:24:31

At 7/10/09 08:32 AM, TiberiumCrystalKutu wrote: You know what, I am good at drawing. Maybe I can draw something viking-like and submit it to the Art Portal to see if it is worth of.

Reeeeeally?
You never told me that...

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-10 10:47:38

At 7/10/09 10:24 AM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 7/10/09 08:32 AM, TiberiumCrystalKutu wrote: You know what, I am good at drawing. Maybe I can draw something viking-like and submit it to the Art Portal to see if it is worth of.
Reeeeeally?
You never told me that...

I told it to you. When you said that you are only good at drawing at PC.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-10 15:19:24

At 7/10/09 10:47 AM, TiberiumCrystalKutu wrote:

Uh, whatever.

This is the final part on VIking warfare:

Though the battle ax is popularly associated with the VIkings, on the whole it seems to have been less favored as a weapon than the sword and spear.
Maybe their fearsome reputation derives from the fact that VIkings from Norway and Denmark raided western Europe using mostly axes since they were their weapon of choice.
They were made in quite a simple way (note: they are exactly like the lv.37 Newgrounds weapon): a sharp cutting-edge was welded onto a shaped block of iron, and the butt end was then slotted over a wooden handle and wedged tight.
Most battle axes were undecorated and were undistinguishable from working axes.
A few exmples are much more splendid and must have been made for ceremony or display.
The finest by far is the ax from the royal burial at Mammen, Jutland (a replica in the pic).
Bows and arrow were also used in warfare but were probably most commonly used in hunting.
Bows were 190-200 cm long.
The Vikinds defended themselves in battle by carrying circular shields mde of wood.
Sometimes they were decoraed with metal mounts or brightly painted.
Hey were 1 meter in diameter.
Helmets were dome-shaped with a central crest and a sort of visor to protect the nose and cheek-bones.
Only a few warriors, probably the most noble and distinguished in battle (and the professional fighting men and mercenaries) would wear armor and helmets.

Next to come, how did the VIkings pass their free time?

Ng Viking Army

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-10 15:33:31

At 7/9/09 09:51 PM, Aleks55 wrote: Man I wish I could do some viking artwork. sucks my drawings are sloppy.

Don't worry about it. You're in good company.

That's me, in case you were confused.

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-11 02:34:02

At 7/10/09 03:19 PM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 7/10/09 10:47 AM, TiberiumCrystalKutu wrote:

Though the battle ax is popularly associated with the VIkings, on the whole it seems to have been less favored as a weapon than the sword and spear.

There are many reasons to prefer sword and spear. Firstly, the western europe (the viking raiding grounds), had many iron mines so they could make good shields. Using the battle ax may break the shield, but then the viking feels confused from the collision and a good parry from european short swords can leave him stranded.
Secondly, the vikings had to hide in thick woods so they can raid the caravans. But there was the danger of being hunted by russian wolves( a specie of wolves found mainly at Russia and the European woods), so they needed a weapon that can hit the wolf during his attacking leap.
Third, Europeans, had longbows. These weapons have a terribly good long AND short aim (I know that because Ihave done archery lessons) so the Vikiings needed weapons that did not burden them, to rush and kill their enemies.

These were the reasons that Viking raiding parties prefered sword and spear.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-11 07:45:20

At 7/11/09 03:47 AM, Leidolfr wrote: ok so Im back, off of a 3 day ban, which, was totally uncalled for, but, anyways, thats why I haven't been here.

Well l have been banned for a day too...now they are very careful because of this phishing sites issue...

and s for spears, spears are the prefered weapon because, theyre deadly, they keep the enemy at a distance, theyre great on horseback, and, most importantly, theyre cheap, and if the need was really there, spears could always be made with the swords and axes out of wood, as a throwing first strike.

Yep.

thats about all I have to say really, uhh, bow and arrow, I used to use a bow alot when I was a kid, and was pretty good, but I have a one handed double sided axe [ not a toy, very heavy, very sharp ] and thats my at home weapon, because its small enough to use in the close quarters of the house,

Uh...you have an axe in your house for self-defense?

[ this explains the pic... like anyone doesn't know.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1nzEFMjk I4 ]

Haha, Techno Viking...l remember him :D

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-11 15:25:04

I heard a guy hacked a mod and started to ban and delete threads, so that probably explains your short ban.

I'm awesome.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-12 02:41:43

At 7/11/09 03:25 PM, Aleks55 wrote: I heard a guy hacked a mod and started to ban and delete threads, so that probably explains your short ban.

ARRRR
I still do not understand. Why some guys start hacking accounts and for what. It is so frustrating having an account for 10 years and then a clever guy hacking it.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-12 06:49:36

No offense to anyone how think the viking way of living was interressting, but me personaly as matter a fact a swed, think it was bullcrap.

I am your father Jake

BBS Signature