00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryzmik just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ng Viking Army

173,460 Views | 1,749 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-06-26 12:09:49

Thanks Leidolfr. All these things are VERY NICE.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-06-27 03:35:24

At 6/26/09 06:33 AM, Leidolfr wrote:

Finntroll

Does their name have anything to do with trolls?
Wait, l mean this kind of troll, not this...

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-06-27 16:11:12

At 6/27/09 04:44 AM, Leidolfr wrote: They call themselves that because, they [ the band members ] think swedish sounds troll like, so they sing alot as if they're trolls you know, in a joking way, and theyre finnish, so, Finnish Troll, Finntroll

Haha, nice!
They have a trolling attitude :P

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-06-28 04:52:39

At 6/27/09 08:32 PM, Leidolfr wrote:
but you know, the cool thing about them, is the music is based on finish folk music, some of their songs are actual old folk songs, so with that, and them singing in swedish, and them being Viking oriented in lyrics and manner, its like you get the full Scandinavian experience with them.

Nice

[ incase you didn't know the finish are crazy, not in a crazy way, in like a, party way, like the Dudesons and I think finntroll is pretty reflective of that]

Well maybe because their country is so cold they need to heat things up with parties :D

[also, the old guitarist died, he fell off a bridge drunk and landed on some sharp ice, theyre not sure if it was suicide or not, but he had a whole lot of alcohol in him the autopsy said]

Oh my god what are the odds of dying in that way?

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-06-28 15:39:29

At 6/28/09 06:05 AM, Leidolfr wrote:
At 6/28/09 04:52 AM, HeavyTank wrote: Oh my god what are the odds of dying in that way?
Yeah, every Scandinavian Death metal band seems so have SOMETHING happen to them, just look at Burzum....

I cannot understand why... but yeah... it happens to them.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-06-29 12:22:17

At 6/28/09 03:39 PM, TiberiumCrystalKutu wrote: I cannot understand why... but yeah... it happens to them.

Maybe it's because they drink too much and then go out and fall from a cliff or something...

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-06-29 13:29:43

At 6/28/09 06:05 AM, Leidolfr wrote:
At 6/28/09 04:52 AM, HeavyTank wrote: Oh my god what are the odds of dying in that way?
Yeah, every Scandinavian Death metal band seems so have SOMETHING happen to them, just look at Burzum....

Um, actually, Burzum and Mayhem are black metal bands, as are many metal bands from Norway. Black metal is so different from death metal it's comparable only in the fact that it's metal. And bad shit happens to them cuz black metal bands are into stuff like this.
Read the third paragraph.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-06-29 17:15:27

At 6/29/09 05:08 PM, Leidolfr wrote: yeah most people know the whole burzum story, thats hy i didnt tell it, but i guess i will, lol, uh, ok, so the lead singer of mayhem, blew his brains out with a shotgun, the guitarist, found the body, took a picture that he later used as an album cover, and then kept putting the body in different positions, taking pictures, eventually he ate a piece of his brain, and made a necklace out of skull fragments, which he then gave to bands he felt were "worthy"

Actually, the picture was leaked and used as a bootleg album cover. The part about him eating his brain isn't true, someone made that shit up. He denies it, and c'mon, he's in a black metal band. If he did it, he would own up to that fact.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-06-30 00:50:45

At 6/29/09 05:08 PM, Leidolfr wrote: yeah most people know the whole burzum story, thats hy i didnt tell it, but i guess i will, lol, uh, ok, so the lead singer of mayhem, blew his brains out with a shotgun, the guitarist, found the body, took a picture that he later used as an album cover, and then kept putting the body in different positions, taking pictures, eventually he ate a piece of his brain, and made a necklace out of skull fragments, which he then gave to bands he felt were "worthy"

Yeah heard that story but l had a really hard time believeing it...apparently they don't value human life as much as we do...

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-06-30 07:23:03

Why would anyone believe someone ate a brain!?

cept that one guy in that prison. But he only took a bite not the entire thing.

I'm awesome.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-06-30 14:45:18

I agree with Leidolfr. All these things make sense with them.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-06-30 19:42:07

At 6/30/09 12:55 PM, Leidolfr wrote: and i think you two are getting confused here, varg is the one in jail, he didnt eat a brain, he shot the guy who ate the brain, because it was his friends corpse the guy was playing with, and then varg found out he was going to kill him, so he stabbed him to death, eurynomous is th one who ate the brain [questionably] but definately made a skull necklace and played with the body, but, if you clicked the link, you can see how soupy the brains are, its not too out of character for eurynomous to eat it [ infact i know people in real life, not frinds but people i know, who ate parts of a homeless guy they found,. who was already dead, so, if it can happen here, why not a bunch of speed freaks from norway, lol.anyways, also, euronymous is a christian demon, he eats the flesh off of fresh bodies in hell.

o_O jezz thats.....odd...

Well now that I know that I feel a crap loud less scared of planes and more scared of brain eaters. Then again everyone should be scared of them.

I'm awesome.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-06-30 23:42:45

At 6/30/09 07:42 PM, Aleks55 wrote:
Well now that I know that I feel a crap loud less scared of planes and more scared of brain eaters. Then again everyone should be scared of them.

Well the good news is that they're not very common...
Oh, by the way, are the any "zombies" in Viking culture?
I am pretty sure there are but, you know, asking Leidolfr is always the best way :D

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-01 04:37:40

At 6/30/09 11:42 PM, HeavyTank wrote: Oh, by the way, are the any "zombies" in Viking culture?

The Viking myths don't have zombies as in modern myths, but they believed that the dead still "lived" within their graves. Especially those who were rich and famous and who had been buried in a burial mound. They stayed to protect the treasures they'd been buried with. A living dead were called a "draug".

There are also stories about evil or bad persons who left their graves to make trouble for the living. There are even stories of undead animals of exceptional strength and evilness that could only be killed by magic.

Murdered children, "mylingar" were said to haunt their parents and/or the house they had lived in.

People who drowned and didn't get a proper burial were said to come back and try to drag unwary people to a watery death.

One common trait for all Viking undead are that they are "hard", i.e. impervious to ordinary weapons and can only be killed by special weapons or magic.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-01 10:33:37

I would like to know about what exactly were the vikings planting and growing. I mean, if they were not taking some minor vitamins from fruits, they should have died and in their frozen home little things grow. May someone tell me about viking agriculture?

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-01 11:38:20

At 7/1/09 10:33 AM, TiberiumCrystalKutu wrote: I would like to know about what exactly were the vikings planting and growing. I mean, if they were not taking some minor vitamins from fruits, they should have died and in their frozen home little things grow. May someone tell me about viking agriculture?

The Viking era people grew quite a lot of what we now grow. Wheat, rye and oath were common, beets and turnips too, as well as apples and pears. Also all forms of berries could be found wild and cultivated. Old recipes included ginger, mustard seed and onion. The old time produce were less abundant than today, but they had much more place and much less people to feed, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-01 12:30:43

At 7/1/09 04:37 AM, vdviking wrote: There are also stories about evil or bad persons who left their graves to make trouble for the living. There are even stories of undead animals of exceptional strength and evilness that could only be killed by magic.

Ah, do you know any of those stories? :D

Murdered children, "mylingar" were said to haunt their parents and/or the house they had lived in.

Ugh

People who drowned and didn't get a proper burial were said to come back and try to drag unwary people to a watery death.

Nice

One common trait for all Viking undead are that they are "hard", i.e. impervious to ordinary weapons and can only be killed by special weapons or magic.

Well yeah undead always have some kind of "power"...usually it's the fact that they're immune to pain...and that they can keep hitting you even if you chop their head off..

Another question: since Vikings believed in magic, were there any mages n the social structure?

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-01 13:41:21

At 7/1/09 12:30 PM, HeavyTank wrote: Another question: since Vikings believed in magic, were there any mages n the social structure?

Not as such, but sagas, folk stories and myths are full of people who could use magic. Invariably they were evil and their magic were used to cause illnesses or diseases or to cast illusions.

Having said that both blotgodis and rune carvers were in a way seen as user of magic. The blotgodi had a certain magical connection with the gods and the rune carver, also called Rune Master, used what was inherently magic, the runes.

Spells as we see them today from fantasy novels and such didn't really exist in the Viking sagas, except for Odin's "galdrar", which could make a woman love you, turn away arrows in flight and much more. The name "galdR" comes from the way you were supposed to sing/chant them in a high pitched voice, like a rooster (gala in Swedish), very much like a shaman does in most primitive tribes.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-01 17:38:56

Hay guys. I have been interested in Vikings and the Norse for a long time now. I have an an interest in the religious/mythical/spiritual side of them and I am starting to learn the runes. I had no idea there was here until a few days ago. Typical eh?

No idea how often I would post but can I join?

:Rules -
:Don't be rude.
:Don't be disrespectful.
:Don't mock the 3 gods, Odin, Thor and Freyja.

And what about the other Norse Gods? Hiemdall, Freyr, Frigg, Tyr, Hal, Baldr, Loki (never blank him! lol) and the others? The Vikings didn't just have three! (sorry if that got brought up before, I only scanned a few pages, but I couldn't help but mention that one!)

At 6/30/09 11:42 PM, HeavyTank wrote: Oh, by the way, are the any "zombies" in Viking culture?
I am pretty sure there are but, you know, asking Leidolfr is always the best way :D

Didn't Odin use the runes to reanimate a corpse so he could get some info from him? Or something like that, i think.

At 7/1/09 01:41 PM, vdviking wrote:
At 7/1/09 12:30 PM, HeavyTank wrote: Another question: since Vikings believed in magic, were there any mages n the social structure?
Not as such, but sagas, folk stories and myths are full of people who could use magic. Invariably they were evil and their magic were used to cause illnesses or diseases or to cast illusions.

I have heard of accounts of Seidr magic, practised by seidmardur (think shamanism), Volva (woman with the gift of prophecy), witchcraft and Galdr magic (ceremonial magic using runes, poem, song, symbolism and items of believed power). Collectively, these apparently possessed powers ranging from, weather control, healing, prophecy, luck and communion with the spirits, to curses, spells to aid in battle, magic to make people sick and power to kill. The stories of these people indicated that they were powerful in their society, respected or feared or both, depending on who's 'side' they were on.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-02 05:51:23

At 7/1/09 05:38 PM, EchoRun wrote: Hay guys. I have been interested in Vikings and the Norse for a long time now. I have an an interest in the religious/mythical/spiritual side of them and I am starting to learn the runes. I had no idea there was here until a few days ago. Typical eh?

Just a question, out of curiosity...where did you find out about us?

No idea how often I would post but can I join?

Sure you can join, welcome to the army!

And what about the other Norse Gods? Hiemdall, Freyr, Frigg, Tyr, Hal, Baldr, Loki (never blank him! lol) and the others? The Vikings didn't just have three! (sorry if that got brought up before, I only scanned a few pages, but I couldn't help but mention that one!)

Maybe because the other ones are the most popular :D

Anyway now you're a Svein and if you post semi-regularly you will be promoted soon enough...

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-02 13:00:25

?

The Viking era people grew quite a lot of what we now grow. Wheat, rye and oath were common, beets and turnips too, as well as apples and pears. Also all forms of berries could be found wild and cultivated. Old recipes included ginger, mustard seed and onion. The old time produce were less abundant than today, but they had much more place and much less people to feed, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Very interesting. I bet they were mostly eating berries and not farming but in their country making all these things is a great achievement.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-03 19:52:27

At 7/2/09 05:51 AM, HeavyTank wrote: Just a question, out of curiosity...where did you find out about us?

I was board, glanced over the clubs and crews and spotted this - simple as that! lol

Sure you can join, welcome to the army!

Excellent!

Cheers! *swigs some mead*

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-03 19:59:28

I bet you were "board" XD (just messing with you)

I'm awesome.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-04 06:53:47

At 7/3/09 07:52 PM, EchoRun wrote: I was board, glanced over the clubs and crews and spotted this - simple as that! lol

Cool.

Excellent!

*swings some mead too*

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-05 07:36:30

At 7/4/09 06:53 AM, HeavyTank wrote:

*swings some mead too*

Let's take our mead mini-barrels and shout "CHEERS"

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-05 07:39:19

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-06 03:28:05

At 7/5/09 07:39 AM, AniMetal wrote: Shit be tight.

Lol l liked how the video was made, it is very artistic...

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-06 08:06:46

At 7/6/09 03:28 AM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 7/5/09 07:39 AM, AniMetal wrote: Shit be tight.
Lol l liked how the video was made, it is very artistic...

I would say that it gives food for thought.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-07 07:18:16

Whoah, l just found out these two awesome books about Vikings..
Excpect a lot of info from me from now on..
Just lemme write down all the stuff or use OCR ;)

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-07-07 08:21:57

I want to join

BBS Signature