00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AkiniM just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ng Viking Army

173,396 Views | 1,749 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-01 17:32:10

At 12/1/08 01:27 PM, sirtom93 wrote: In unrelated news, This month I have finnaly placed in the top 2000 most active users. Meaning I can vote on monthly and daily winners, and so I did. Here is who I voted for -

I don't fully understand how the process works, but this must be said. Why is Street Magic only #9?

Honestly?

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-01 17:34:23

At 12/1/08 05:32 PM, DeathNoteetoNhtaeD wrote:
At 12/1/08 01:27 PM, sirtom93 wrote: In unrelated news, This month I have finnaly placed in the top 2000 most active users. Meaning I can vote on monthly and daily winners, and so I did. Here is who I voted for -
I don't fully understand how the process works, but this must be said. Why is Street Magic only #9?
Honestly?

In all honesty, I hadn't actually seen much of that flash at all. I just wanted ma boy mexi to get first.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-01 17:43:44

At 12/1/08 05:34 PM, sirtom93 wrote: In all honesty, I hadn't actually seen much of that flash at all. I just wanted ma boy mexi to get first.

Oh. As long as you had a reason.

Nightwayfarer makes good stuff. For a Russian.

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-01 20:05:14

At 12/1/08 11:59 AM, sirtom93 wrote: is there really such a thing as the 10'000+ posts forum?

no, complete and utter lie.

"Guns don't kill people, the government does."

- Dale Gribble

Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-02 08:18:55

At 12/1/08 12:16 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: I wasn't cursing.

I know -_-

I was merely using the term 'Hell' as short for 'Hellenic'.

-_-

As in, 'Greek'.

-_-

And 'Ass' reffering to a Donkey.

Therefore the sentence would be:
"Greek, everyone's kicked some Greek donkeys at one time or another."

Wow, that's so smart!
I was pretending to be offended because l am from there -_-

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-02 12:01:34

At 12/1/08 08:05 PM, homor wrote:
At 12/1/08 11:59 AM, sirtom93 wrote: is there really such a thing as the 10'000+ posts forum?
no, complete and utter lie.

Thanks for being honest :3

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-02 12:02:50

Sorry sirtom i thought you meant it was most active users. Not best rated flash artists... sorry! I hadnt heard about it to begin with anyway.

I fucking hate euphemism.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-02 12:06:28

At 12/2/08 12:02 PM, DasUberCow wrote: Sorry sirtom i thought you meant it was most active users. Not best rated flash artists... sorry! I hadnt heard about it to begin with anyway.

It's the most active users, vote on the best flash artists. I was one of the most active users.

Do not be sorry.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-02 16:35:09

Ok bitches, I have army cadet weekend coming up where I get to shoot some stuff with .22's. Anyone willing to deposit for me when I'm gone, will be Saturday and Sunday. I need to pick people who I can trust not to rape my account.

Kind regards -
Thomas.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-02 16:40:40

At 12/2/08 04:35 PM, sirtom93 wrote: Ok bitches, I have army cadet weekend coming up where I get to shoot some stuff with .22's. Anyone willing to deposit for me when I'm gone, will be Saturday and Sunday. I need to pick people who I can trust not to rape my account.

Kind regards -
Thomas.

Right, I'll bite the bullet. I can find a way to remember to do it.

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-02 16:45:22

Ok good. Don't make seemingly amusing posts that will get me a 30 day ban. Mods will probably just ban me with out even posting at all though. So yeah, I'll pm you password on Friday.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-02 16:57:20

At 12/2/08 04:45 PM, sirtom93 wrote:
Ok good. Don't make seemingly amusing posts that will get me a 30 day ban. Mods will probably just ban me with out even posting at all though. So yeah, I'll pm you password on Friday.

Alright, cool. And don't worry, I hadn't even thought of posting on your account. If I wanted to post under another persona, I'd just make an alt.

So much easier.

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-03 03:05:12

At 12/2/08 04:57 PM, DeathNoteetoNhtaeD wrote: Alright, cool. And don't worry, I hadn't even thought of posting on your account. If I wanted to post under another persona, I'd just make an alt.

The account of the threadmaster is in your hands....may the force be w...uhm, whatever.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-03 07:23:26

At 12/3/08 03:05 AM, HeavyTank wrote: The account of the threadmaster is in your hands....may the force be w...uhm, whatever.

Yeah, yeah. Just don't expect him to post on the weekend.

The force is always with me, padawan.

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-03 12:00:51

Hello, how are you all on this day?

Do any of you attend school?

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-03 12:08:00

At 12/3/08 12:00 PM, sirtom93 wrote: Do any of you attend school?

I thought Vikings were too awesome for school?

My PSN: Obilisk745

"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."

Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-03 12:31:11

At 12/3/08 12:08 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote:
At 12/3/08 12:00 PM, sirtom93 wrote: Do any of you attend school?
I thought Vikings were too awesome for school?

Yeah as did I, quite evidently I am not a viking though.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-03 15:43:18

At 12/3/08 12:00 PM, sirtom93 wrote: Hello, how are you all on this day?

Yes in fact i do. Im trying do do homework right now actually! Sucks bawls.

Also ill take good care of your account if for some reason the other person is unable.

I fucking hate euphemism.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-03 17:12:46

At 12/3/08 12:00 PM, sirtom93 wrote: Hello, how are you all on this day?

Oh yes. Very tiring day. And I have to memorize all 27 Amendments to the Constitution by tomorrow, so there's that.

Other than that, being tired, and having a candy necklace explode on me, it was an alright day.

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-03 17:23:47

Oh yes. Very tiring day. And I have to memorize all 27 Amendments to the Constitution by tomorrow, so there's that.
Other than that, being tired, and having a candy necklace explode on me, it was an alright day.

Epic, 27 Amendments - think you'll do it?

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-03 20:06:26

At 12/3/08 05:23 PM, sirtom93 wrote:

Epic, 27 Amendments - think you'll do it?

Really, not even going to ask about the candy necklace? Ah, well, boring story anyways. As for the Amendments, I can always cram in the five minute I have in between classes. It'll be fine. That, and it's a matching test, so it's not like I have to write what each Amendment is about.

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-04 06:18:03

At 12/3/08 12:08 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: I thought Vikings were too awesome for school?

l thought exactly the same thing until l turned 6 years old..

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-04 11:21:49

Really, not even going to ask about the candy necklace? Ah, well, boring story anyways. As for the Amendments, I can always cram in the five minute I have in between classes. It'll be fine. That, and it's a matching test, so it's not like I have to write what each Amendment is about.

Not really learning if you just have to remember it.

Anyway, how are you all today?

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-04 17:41:14

At 12/4/08 11:21 AM, sirtom93 wrote: Not really learning if you just have to remember it.

Anyway, how are you all today?

Yep. And that's the problem with most schools today. You learn something for one test and then you forget as soon as you're in the clear. Not that I'm complaining.

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-05 02:57:08

There's preciously little said about Vikings in this thread, so I will try to educate you all a little bit.
Please, if you have any serious questions I will do my best to answer them.

The Viking Era
Generally it is said that the Viking era stretched from circa 800 A.D. to circa 1000 A.D.
Some historians are more specific and say that the Viking raid on the monastery Lindisfarne on Holy Island in 793 A.D. was the start and that the battle of Hastings 1066 A.D. were the Viking rule over England was broken can be considered the end.
Others still puts the end of the Viking era to about 1150 when the whole of Scandinavia was finally Christian (with a few exceptions)

Viking Society
The population of Scandinavia during the Viking era were scarce, especially in Sweden and Norway. There were no cities and only a few larger villages and those were mainly trading posts. Most people made their living as farmers and fishermen, but hunting were also important in the north. Farms could grow quite big as several generations lived together for mutual protection quite close to each other.

Several farms and trading posts sometimes united under one leader called a Gode (can't translate it but is pronounced "good-eh"), a modern translation is approximatively 'chief'. The Gode were usually the richest/most successful farmer or trader in the area. The area over which a Gode ruled was known as "Godeord" or "Chief's Word", basically meaning that he only ruled as his word was good i.e. people listened to him.

As the population grew the idea of uniting larger areas under one ruler arose, these were called Jarl or Drottnar, nowadays "King", depending on were in Scandinavia they lived and also when during the Viking Era they ruled. These kings weren't sitting safely in their thrones and there were always several of them competing over who controlled what part of the lands. For example Sweden were divided into at least three sometimes four kingdoms, Denmark usually two while Norway only one. But they only controlled a very small area, outside of their area of control people were free.

The Vikings
Historians aren't in agreement about the roots of the word Viking. Some say that it comes from the word "Vik" which means bay, and is connected to the bay where Sweden and Norway connects, which was called "Viken" and from were most Vikings came. Others say that it comes from the fact that as pirates they often lay in ambush hidden in small bays. Fact is that only those Scandinavians sailing west, Danes and Norsemen, were called Vikings, the Swedes who sailed east were called Rus.

It was the ships that were the foundation of the Vikings' success. Quite small, nimble, fast and with a shallow draught (depth in water), while still being able to carry a lot of goods, they allowed the Vikings to either sail far inland on rivers to trade or to raid coastal areas and disappear before any defence could be put up. While piracy and raiding did bring income and loot, they were mainly traders, which is a lot safer.

There are several theories of why the Scandinavians started with the piracy and Viking raids. Both overpopulation and starvation have been put forward, but none are in my opinion valid. Most probably it was a good way for a young man to become rich and famous, which helped in finding a good wife and start a family.

Religion
The Norse pantheon was quite large and besides the main deities there are several that are hardly mentioned at all. Probably because they belong to an older belief. Worship of the gods consisted of sacrifices, quite often blood sacrifice "blot" (pronounced 'bloot'). Common practise was to sacrifice a pig or a horse, gather up the blood and smear it on an idol of one of the goods, which god depended on what the sacrifice was for. In larger temples or at law meetings, "ting", these sacrifices were conducted by a priest know as "blotgode" or a king if he was present. Rumours claim that every ninth year there were held a huge sacrifice in Uppsala which included human sacrifices, but there's only on source and he's a Christian - Archbishop Adam of Bremen, thus being doubtable.

But even if the common man did believe in the gods, he didn't worship daily but perhaps only at the sacrifices which occurred a few times a year only. The pragmatic people of the era knew that prayers won't make the crops grow, hard work will.

That was a lot of text, phew, even if I have omitted quite a lot. Sorry for any spelling or grammatical errors, it's bloody hard to write about Swedish stuff in English, the language gets all mucked about. This was written out of memory, and is quite generalised so some minor details may differ from textbooks and such.

I'll try to return with more about the Norse Mythology if you want me to, and once again I will try to answer serious questions about the Viking Era, Vikings, Runes, Norse Mythology and even the meaning of names to the best of my ability.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-05 08:20:48

At 12/5/08 02:57 AM, vdviking wrote: Viking stuff

thanks for the info!

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-05 12:22:53

Yes thanks for posting that, very informative. I am going to camp in... about 10 minutes. Please remember to deposit Death, I changed my password, (In the pm).

Keep well all. Ask Jew or Death if you have any problems.

Kind regards -
Sirtom93.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-05 16:59:06

At 12/5/08 12:22 PM, sirtom93 wrote: Yes thanks for posting that, very informative. I am going to camp in... about 10 minutes. Please remember to deposit Death, I changed my password, (In the pm).

Keep well all. Ask Jew or Death if you have any problems.

Kind regards -
Sirtom93.

Right, you can count on me. I don't expect many problems anyways. We're pretty much one of the most sane communities on NG. And I'll remember to deposit. So, to all RPG players here, have you noticed all the references to Norse culture in Tales of Symphonia 1 and 2? I mean, there's Yggdrasil, Ratatosk, Ragnarok, Fenrir, a ton of Specials with Norse names, it's just all there. Really nice to see. And Vdviking, is there anything you know of called The "Gunnungagap"? It comes up in ToS2 and I was wondering if it was Norse as well. Thanks for the help.

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-06 03:43:01

At 12/5/08 04:59 PM, DeathNoteetoNhtaeD wrote: And Vdviking, is there anything you know of called The "Gunnungagap"? It comes up in ToS2 and I was wondering if it was Norse as well. Thanks for the help.

Ginnungagap (as the Norse term is) is an important part of the creation history in the Norse mythology. It was a void between the ice realm of Nifelheim and the fire realm of Muspelheim. Were the cold and hot winds met the giant Ymir was created out of the condensation, and then Odin and his two brothers Vile and Ve (Veel-eh and Ve-eh) killed him and created the world of his body parts.

And Death I believe you asked about Fenrir's sons some time ago (I read through quite a bit of the thread before posting the 'essay' above). He had two children, both wolves, one was called Skoll and the other Hate (Ha-at-eh)

Pronunciations: Most Swedish words are pronounced with long and soft vocals, except at the end, so Hate is pronounced with a long and open 'a' as in 'father' and a short 'e' as in 'beg'. Ve has a long 'e' and Vile a long 'i' as in 'we' and a short 'e'. Hope this helps.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2008-12-06 09:21:40

My PSN: Obilisk745

"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."

Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature