00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BloodyPeckii just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Make your own turret!

22,337 Views | 542 Replies

Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 11:16:06

hey! I'm making adefense game (DT? TD? forgot what it's called) that includes turrets in it - making, upgradting, customizing, etc.

I'm running out of cool turret ideas, and I want the game to have a LOT of turret choices, so I was wondering if ya'll could help me w/ some ideas. If I use your idea, I will credit you, but I will not name the turret after your username or something dumb like that.

This is the ideas I have come up with (and scripted and such) so far (so obviously don't repeat any of these):

triple cannon
Power cannon (builds up a glowing ball thingy, and does massive damage - I guess it's like an ion cannon)
minigun
home-seeking missle launcher
electric gun (the electricity can pass through multiple targets)
weird triangle thing (it's weird. it spins n shit... nvm...)
ion cannon minigun
snow machine (slows down the bitches)
flamethrower (does more damage than regular, but speeds up the enemy units)
triple fireball cannon (shoots fireballs, that do splash damage when exploded)
sniper fireball cannon (shoots a very fast fireball, does that more splash damage, and the cannon obviously has a great range)
shotgun (shoots multiple bullets at a wide range)
sonic pulse (shoots sound waves that can hit multiple units - pass through units)
boomerang (it's... a boomerang launcher...)

so...... ideas?!?!?
thnx in advance.

Awesome turret game in the making, featuring 85 uniqe turrets: News post

BBS Signature

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 11:18:52

a turret that would increase the power of surrounding turrets by a percent

Response to "dumbest person you ever met" :

"Some girl I knew once forgot how to breath." -Dlxrevolution

BBS Signature

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 11:20:14

ok that's not a bad idea. But I was looking for cannons who do some kind of direct damage, before I start with passive cannons.

BBS Signature

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 11:30:14

oh just thought of a poison turret - that deals damage overtime.

so... that's taken :P

come on people... don't you wanna see your creations come to life?

BBS Signature

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 11:33:37

one that has a small radius but when an enimy is in it it drains the health

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 11:37:01

Trebuchet catapult that throws peasants.

BBS Signature

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 11:43:19

At 7/15/08 11:33 AM, funkycaveman wrote: one that has a small radius but when an enimy is in it it drains the health

ok... like the one that's found... in like every other TD game? it's ok, I may use it, i'll let you know if I do.

but you guys are thinking small, how about a little originality?

BBS Signature

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 11:49:38

Leggit Turret: IT WALKS!

Every so often it walks a small distance within a set radius of it's spawned point and sets down in a new spot.

BBS Signature

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 12:18:00

ok but how would that make the turret better?
how is walking a strategic edge?

BBS Signature

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 12:22:14

At 7/15/08 12:18 PM, mayoarm11 wrote: ok but how would that make the turret better?
how is walking a strategic edge?

Because it doesn't stay in the same place. If it has a patrol area, it means you don't need to buy as many turrets, as this one covers a large area.

BBS Signature

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 12:54:59

Napalm turret.
Double minigun turret.

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 12:57:34

Unoriginal, but still: Telepathic Turret. Very VERY low rate of fire, but it converts enemy units to your own.

BBS Signature

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 13:00:02

one that has a slightly slower rate of fire but gives you more money,

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 13:27:17

Confuse Turret -- makes some enemies walk backwards for a short period of time.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 13:32:54

Also, something like a mortar launcher -- it has high damage and splash, but it can only fire in a ring, not a set radius (IE: no closer than 200, but no further than 600).

Artillery Turret -- same as mortar, but it 'peppers' entire areas with shells.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 15:28:16

"Leggit turret":
ok, I guess I misunderstood what you were trying to say. I thought the new position is picked entirely randomally, rather than it coverting a very specific radius. Further on this idea:
do you think the turret should be able to fire while walking?
And as for the design of the turret, I was thinking of like a mecha walker thing. that would be sweeeet. ;)
I don't look forward to scripting it but w/e.

Naplam turret & double minigun: ...double minigun is just weird, and I suppose you would have to elaborate on the naplam turret, b/c I already have something similar to that.

Telepathic turret: no. You can't make units in my game, only turrets. I will make a second version, where you can make units, so that is something I will consider when that time comes (hope it will be sooner than expected ;[ )

confuse turret: meh. doesn't do damage at all, and it's kinda weird ;P

I'll give those mortar and artillary things a little spicing of mine. I'll see what I can do.

The artillary turret can be cool actually... It shoots upwards, then only after a couple of second, hell from above!!!

thanks ssjskipp.

BBS Signature

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 15:54:22

A nuke cannon that also causes slow helth loss from radiation.

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 16:04:42

Force Turret:

Rather than cause damage, it has a small radius in which it pushes sgainst enemy fire. Lighter weapons are reflected altogether, but the heavier stuff is simply slowed.

BBS Signature

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 16:17:00

nuke: good idea. I will definetely use that.

Force: Interesting idea. It depends on how many different units I make. If the units can easily be classified into 'lighter' and 'heavier' weaponary, then it is definetely something to consider.

thanks everyone. I'll get to work!
but that doesn't mean you should stop posting your ideas. keep em coming!

BBS Signature

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 16:48:48

Black hole Turret - One hit kill to any unit, should be very expencive, and take a long time to fire. After being shot, it stays on the location of impact for x ammount of time before collapsing(or after x ammout of units are consumed). Any units in its radius are absorbed and destroyed.

It would be cool if it had, say, a 30-40% chance of destroying the turret and stabilizing on the location of the turret(still collapses after x time).

BBS Signature

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 16:49:36

the gravity turret is an interesting concept. I might experiment w/ it a bit.

as for the second creation - the units are small in comparison to the playing field- so having them as 'barriers' is very useless.

BBS Signature

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 17:24:34

A Cannon that fires tree seeds, that sprout out into tree minions and last until they get hit at least once

Marvel vs Capcom x Konami - Super Flash Rotoscope Remix :: Coming Soon

BBS Signature

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 17:52:32

a manual MG turret that when you upgrade it enoogh you can click it and fire maunually with the mouse for a few seconds, rapid fire

i will try to think of more

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 19:27:25

semen hose.

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 19:30:15

At 7/15/08 07:27 PM, theotherleft wrote: semen hose.

slows units down by getting them pregnant, but if the enemy is not dead by the end of a duration of time it gives birth to baby versions of itself.

i am a genius.

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-15 23:29:46

Just throwing this out.... but what about a Chuck Norris turret as one of the harder to get turrets. I would play the whole game just to get to use one of those.

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-16 00:19:45

At 7/15/08 05:52 PM, funkycaveman wrote: a manual MG turret that when you upgrade it enoogh you can click it and fire maunually with the mouse for a few seconds, rapid fire

This is actually a good idea

A turret that you can fire by yourself. It wouldn't be the strongest, but you start upgrading it and you would be able to shoot faster and faster, and it'd be stronger and stronger.

It'd still end up to be a pretty weak unit, but fast and hella helpful since you can control it

Another idea is having a site special turret. For example, if you are playing it on newgrounds, you could get a newgrounds tank, omega powerful with power splash and such, but slow. If you are playing on...Crazy monkey games for example, you could have a money. Fast shooting, great power, no splash.

All of the site special units would be the best units in the game. Yes, it might get annoying making a new unit for every site its on (even though its probably only 2. (Sponsor, and hopefully newgrounds :P))

Thats also an anti-swf stealing method. If you see the game on Addicting games with the newgrounds tank in it, you'll know they stole it.

Just throwin out ideas here

BBS Signature

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-16 01:22:29

Snowball turret. Sends in a straight line and hits multiple enemys, and after x enemys explodes, causes splash damage and slows them down. For upgrades, the ball can get larger, wich is more splash, and can take more enemys.

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-16 03:15:48

seed-firing cannon - idk... i dont like the minions idea :P
MG turret - I want to avoid manual control of the turrets.
semen hose - yes!!!
pregnant cannon - genius!
chuck norris - lol...
site turret - I may have a tank turret just for NG, and one more for my sponsor or something, but besides that, I'm not gonna make a turret for EVERY site I submit it to. It's a neat idea though, something to consider, at the game's completion.
snowball - It's already on my list of thing I have already done. Mine doesn't have splash, but I don't want it to, so... ;)

thank you everybody, this is going better than I expected.

Here are some ideas I thought of recently, you can feedback, and expand on the idea, or it might give you ideas of your own:

prim tower: shoots prism stuff (lasers I guess). If the tower is within another tower's radius, they combine power, to shoot a prism that is twice the power of a regular tower (this would be seen by the width of prism - gets twice as big obviously).

orb collector (gay name- i'll change it) - in my game there are types of bullets - one is a blue orb. About 10 turrets will use it. So this turret collects these bullets, and sends them orbiting around the turret (like in momentum missle mayhem). when the orbs hit the units, they do 1.5 times damage.

BBS Signature

Response to Make your own turret! 2008-07-16 03:19:06

rethought my opinion about the controllable turret - it's not a bad idea actually. A user can switch from having it manually controlled to having it pilot control.

What I thought you meant was having it just manually controlled, which would then put pressure on the user to have it fire at all times of the game, which then would make it a lot harder for him to upgrade other turrets, and so on.

BBS Signature