00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sangpan just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes

1,993 Views | 32 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

http://kotaku.com/5014253/top-us+selling -games-of-all-time-violence-and-football

Those to lazy to click the link here's the top 10 games sold in the U.S.A alone since 1989.

1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
2. Guitar Hero III
3. Madden 07
4. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
5. Madden 06
6. Halo 2
7. Madden 08
8. Call of Duty 4
9. Grand Theft Auto 3
10. Madden 05

Despite being American myself, they're fucking stupid for buying Madden Games every year. They need to stop. Also San Andreas sucked, that game shouldn't have sold that much.

Stupid Americans.

In all honesty. The best selling game of all time (that isn't packaged with a console) is Pokemon Red & Blue but that's all over the world not just the U.S.

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 07:57:21

Can't believe how not a single Pokemon or Mario game even made it, even though those two are the best selling franchises.

lol madden

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 07:59:05

How can Madden appear 4 times on there?
They're just the same game, just different rosters and years.
Do we really have to spend 60$ each year just to get a game that lets you be in the game?
I mean, just buy one and just play that one.

Hello. I see that you are reading this. Why don't you look somewhere else to find a better way to get rid of the boredom surrounding you reading this? Look elsewhere.

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 08:04:25

America loves Madden

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 08:09:47

At 6/8/08 08:04 AM, evillouis wrote: America loves Madden

So true....I will never understand why.

Hello. I see that you are reading this. Why don't you look somewhere else to find a better way to get rid of the boredom surrounding you reading this? Look elsewhere.

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 08:10:48

You've not got a worldwide or UK list or something for comparison, have you? I could hardly see Madden doing well outside of America.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 08:11:30

its a bunch of jocks beating each other up whats not to love lol?

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 08:20:35

At 6/8/08 08:10 AM, TheMaster wrote: You've not got a worldwide or UK list or something for comparison, have you? I could hardly see Madden doing well outside of America.

Though this list is off Wikipedia... there's tons of sources to back it up.

Top Selling Games Worldwide without being bundled with a console (I don't have a U.K. list sorry).

1. Pokemon Red and Blue
2. Nintendogs
3. Super Mario Bros 3
4. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
5. Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec
6. Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
7. Pokemon Gold and Silver
8. Grand Theft Auto III
9. New Super Mario Bros.
10. Super Mario Land
11. Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire
12. Brain Age
13. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
14. Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green
15. Wii Play
16. Super Mario 64
17. Gran Turismo
18. Brain Age 2
19. Mario Kart DS
20. Super Mario Bros 2

A lot less Madden and shooting games.

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 08:27:30

At 6/8/08 08:20 AM, BatDan wrote: Top Selling Games Worldwide without being bundled with a console (I don't have a U.K. list sorry).

No real surprises there, except maybe Leaf Green and Fire Red. Didn't think they'd have sold as much.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 08:38:14

If you think San Andreas sucked you must be a fucking idiot.

BBS Signature

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 09:08:29

At 6/8/08 08:38 AM, Master117chief wrote: If you think San Andreas sucked you must be a fucking idiot.

DUUUURURRRRRRRFDSFSDF HOW DO I PUT SOCKS ON?

Seriously though. San Andreas had many faults.
The whole "gangsta" setting annoyed me.
The Girlfriend concept sucked and turned out to be controversial
The story was laaaaaaaaaameeeeeee
The fact that there were too many hidden collectibles compared to the previous two (3 and VC just had Hidden Packages while SA had Tags, Clams, Photos, and one other)
The jetpack was really dumb.
Vice City didn't utter a lot of F Bombs. San Andreas not only overused the F Bomb but the N Word as well (normally I don't mind language, but this was overkill)
Eating and Working Out got real old real fast.

It was just bad. Really bad.

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 09:21:21

I may be stating the obvious but, the top games in the initial US list were mostly cross platform console games whereas a lot of the top worldwide games were Nintendo exclusive, specifically for hand held systems. I don't know what to think about that but I think it's interesting.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 09:38:27

At 6/8/08 08:27 AM, TheMaster wrote: No real surprises there, except maybe Leaf Green and Fire Red. Didn't think they'd have sold as much.

I'm not that surprised. Pokemon games sell very well if they follow the Red and Blue formula and remakes of the originals will do just as well.

At 6/8/08 09:21 AM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: I may be stating the obvious but, the top games in the initial US list were mostly cross platform console games whereas a lot of the top worldwide games were Nintendo exclusive, specifically for hand held systems. I don't know what to think about that but I think it's interesting.

11/20 games are on handheld consoles.
I'm guessing portability is a major factor in sales since they can be played anywhere.

Note to self, make a DS game since they sell tons of copies no matter how crappy.

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 11:19:09

Also San Andreas sucked, that game shouldn't have sold that much.

Fuck you, hater.

BBS Signature

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 11:29:00

Wow..what idiots play madden lol...
Just go play football irl.

BBS Signature

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 12:00:05

At 6/8/08 08:20 AM, BatDan wrote: Top Selling Games Worldwide without being bundled with a console (I don't have a U.K. list sorry).

15. Wii Play

I call shenanigans :\

BBS Signature

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 12:29:23

Well, at least (if you count pack-ins), Super Mario Bros. is still the highest selling game of all time. So some people have (or had) some taste.

Also, to become even more depressed, just look at any of the NPD charts over the past several months and you'll see that Wii Play is always hovering near the top.

Also, TL;DR for this entire thread: casual gamers suck.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 13:25:42

haha violence,violence, more violence!

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 13:43:36

It makes sense.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /777777

http://metaldart.webs.com/ My freewebs website. Check it out dog.

My old NG profile ID: 1321019

BBS Signature

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 13:52:19

At 6/8/08 08:20 AM, BatDan wrote:

stuff

1. Pokemon Red and Blue
2. Nintendogs

Those were bundled with a console, Game Boy and Nintendo DS respectively

3. Super Mario Bros 3

This one's the most selling non-bundled game

6. Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
7. Pokemon Gold and Silver
11. Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire
14. Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green

Pokemon games mostly sold bundled with Game Boys.

15. Wii Play

Bundled with Wii Remote

16. Super Mario 64

Bundled with N64

You got it wrong.

ALL MY FRIEND CODES

My username is pronounced "mah-chee-o". Thank you for your attention.

Youtube Account (under construction)

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 14:06:02

My god, it's like a Jock's list.

I'd rather die a Wolf fighting against the Herder, than die a Sheep heading for the slaughter.

AVGN Fan Club. - The Culturally Diverse Crew - The Carnivorous Crew

BBS Signature

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 14:18:59

At 6/8/08 12:49 PM, BonusStage wrote: Don't, it has sold millions upon millions due to the fact it has a WiiMote included with it

Oh ok, I thought you could only get it bundled with a Wii.

BBS Signature

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 17:24:31

At 6/8/08 08:20 AM, BatDan wrote:
2. Nintendogs

This has got to be some sort of fucking joke, right?

...also, TL;DR.

BBS Signature

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 17:40:57

At 6/8/08 09:08 AM, BatDan wrote:
At 6/8/08 08:38 AM, Master117chief wrote: If you think San Andreas sucked you must be a fucking idiot.

Seriously though. San Andreas had many faults.
It was just bad. Really bad.

I like Vice City more, it has a more "criminal" feeling... the only good that comes for SA are the cheats and the Hydra and the Four-Wheeler

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 17:46:11

At 6/8/08 09:08 AM, BatDan wrote:

i always regretted buying that horrible game. it was fun and new in the beginning but it all went down hill from there.

plus all the things you mentioned contributed to the sucking

| - - - - - - - - - - - - - | my art thread | blood & gore | doodles | I'll draw you! | - - - - - - - - - - - - - |

BBS Signature

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 18:19:59

At 6/8/08 08:09 AM, berebere101 wrote:
At 6/8/08 08:04 AM, evillouis wrote: America loves Madden
So true....I will never understand why.

Watching football is boring as hell, and playing it isn't much more exciting. Even the SuperBowl seems like a waste of hours to watch except for the half-time show. We got one of the Madden games for PS2 on accident and nobody ever bothered to play it.

All sports games are boring unless there's a twist to them.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 18:28:45

At 6/8/08 09:21 AM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: I may be stating the obvious but, the top games in the initial US list were mostly cross platform console games whereas a lot of the top worldwide games were Nintendo exclusive, specifically for hand held systems. I don't know what to think about that but I think it's interesting.

Well all the Gameboys and the DS are some of the most loved and well sold consoles ever. There are a hell of a lot of people in Japan who can't get enough of Nintendo and easily choose them over competitors. Not to mention 90% of games made by Nintendo are made for Japan and shipped to US and Europe for a few extra bucks. At least the list for Worldwide has games that kick ass. GTA and Pokemon.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 19:31:12

GOTY 2010: A shiny, shiny ball of foil shaped like a football.

CHECK OUT THAT BLOOM.

BBS Signature

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-08 23:16:33

At 6/8/08 07:54 PM, ShitOnMyShoes wrote: People play Madden for the bragging rights, manhood, and for money. They are also football fans. That's why they buy it every year.

Wrong. They buy it every year because they're fucking morons. Almost all of my friends do this, with either Madden or other EA Sports franchises, and no matter what I say, they insist that each one is a different game. I just have to facepalm and tolerate it.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Top Games Sold In The U.s... Yikes 2008-06-09 00:08:42

Does this list only pertain to console only games? Because I've always heard the best selling game of all time was The Sims franchise.

I've been refurbished and reissued, prepackaged and precooked, decontaminated and deloused, but I still smell, sound, look and feel like shit.

New to the video game forums?

BBS Signature