00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

novaruah just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

433,459 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-21 16:24:01

I saw this movie called St. Trinian's last night. It's about a school filled with a bunch of badly behaved girls. They steal a painting. ... It was shit. Oh, and they made a sequel. HERE. Russel Brand and Rupert Everett held the only comedic roles.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-21 16:26:57

At 7/21/10 04:04 PM, Ptero wrote: I watched Taken again last night. It seems like it would be mediocre if it weren't for Liam Neeson. He did an extremely good job for a mindless action movie. I would give it 7/10.

At least you're able to call it what it is. Some people seem to talk about this movie like it's some kind of deep, serious Oscar-bait drama. I can't be sure if I'm recalling such a thing from this thread or one of those "last movie you saw" threads on another forum.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-21 16:28:27

At 7/21/10 04:24 PM, Makeshift wrote: Russel Brand

I don't like that guy.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-21 17:11:39

I thought 9 was pretty cool. I'd give it like a 7 or 7.5 out of 10.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-22 04:06:20

***SPOILER ALERT***

I don't think I'll ruin the picture for you - save your money and buy it on DVD, if you really must.

At 7/21/10 04:35 AM, MightyJackHammer wrote: Inception. Wow, what a beautiful movie.

I saw it last night and I can only say that I am ambivalent toward it.

I personally got the gist of it, but as me and my uncle were talking about it, we started to uncover more things about it. I now understand all of it, and I'm really amazed by how deep it is. Its like the matrix, but on a whole different level. Amazing movie, definitely in my top 5 of all time.

The idea that Cobb set the idea in Moll's head by spinning her totem in the safe, so she comes back to find it stopped, thus making her believe that she is in the real world and it snowballs from there is a brilliant concept. Don't get me wrong here, I love the writing.

However, I believe that there was one main issue:

If you're going to make a film that is similar to the Matrix, as certain critics have put it, you would think that you would go for an actor that can distance themselves from the shitty acting of Keanu Reeves. Most of the cast were relatively unknown, with cameos from Michael Caine and Pete Postlethwaite to flesh out the film, but it just felt wrong to see these actors try to salvage a film.

Honestly, the film that no-one attempted to make anything like for over 10 years, because of a perceived backlash from people that had watched the Matrix and it's lesser spoken of sequels, they went for the wooden acting skills of Reeves to that plank, DiCaprio.

Did the film actually end, or did I just wake up from a particularly bad dream? Don't tell me that it's pointing out the potential for a sequel, where neither world is strictly real for Cobb and that Moll is still alive somewhere.

I've never come out of a cinema feeling that I've not got my money's worth from a film before, even though I watched both of the Matrix sequels in the cinema. At least after Revolutions, we knew it was over.

With a better man in the lead role, we might have made a good fist of this, but I felt that there were times that DiCaprio showed too much emotion and times when he didn't show enough. The conflict of emotion that he was experiencing, particularly as the job came toward the conclusion wasn't shown well enough for me - this is the sort of thing that renders a man down to the most basic of emotions and should have reduced him to a blubbering wreck.

In conclusion - save your money, Toy Story 3 is out.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-22 14:31:57

I just watched The Last Airbender.

I have been warned for this movie and I knew it was gonna be bad, but I decided to watch it anyway because I haven't seen a bad movie in a while and thought I'd give this one a chance. But yes, it is pretty bad. Mentioning all the flaws of this movie would be too much work, so I'll just keep it to the main flaws.

I counted only about two or three decent actors, and they were only playing minor characters. Even the main actor from Slumdog Millionaire did a bad job. I expected him to do alright, but alas.

The effects and action scenes weren't all that impressive. I thought this was gonna be the one thing that makes it entertaining, but it's very CGI-y and the fight scenes are quite repetitive.

And my main issue with this film is that every single piece of dialogue serves to explain things to the viewer, up to the point where it becomes ridiculous. Sometimes things aren't even mentioned once, but repeated several times as if they expect the audience to be utterly stupid and forgetful. Now basically this movie covers the entire first season of the animated series, but they add way too many pointless side stories that were not worked out very well anyway. Either get rid of those and cover the entire series in one film, or stick to the important stuff and try to make it one solid story with a clear direction. It's just kinda silly to explain all slightly important story elements via clumsy monologues/dialogues while you still had room to work them out.

I'd give it 4 out of 10. Don't waste your money on it.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-23 17:09:10

At 7/22/10 04:06 AM, Coop83 wrote: In conclusion - save your money, Toy Story 3 is out.

I disagree with you. Toy Story 3 was certainly a great film, but in the end it wasn't substantial enough to really become one of my favorite movies. I stopped thinking about it seconds after I left the theater.

Inception, on the other hand, I thought about for hours. It truly challenged my brain, and it is my favorite film of '10. Also, Leonardo DiCaprio did a great job as playing Cobb.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-24 17:22:01

Catch Me If You Can is on BBC1 in twenty minutes. If you live in England and haven't seen it I suggest you tune it, fantastic movie.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-24 17:25:13

At 7/24/10 05:22 PM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Catch Me If You Can is on BBC1 in twenty minutes. If you live in England and haven't seen it I suggest you tune it, fantastic movie.

That's actually my all-time favourite movie.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-24 17:31:49

At 7/24/10 05:22 PM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Catch Me If You Can is on BBC1 in twenty minutes. If you live in England and haven't seen it I suggest you tune it, fantastic movie.

Classic film, might get it up on iPlayer.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-24 18:38:44

I watched two movies today, The Incredibles and Crank.

The Incredibles
The plot was rather predictable, but it was a fun movie in my opinion. It had likable characters, nice action scenes and some good jokes here and there. I wouldn't rank it among my favorite animation movies, but it is one of Pixars best when it comes to sheer entertainment value.

Crank
A friend recommended me this one a long time ago. I watched Crank 2 before this one and I gotta say, the first one is the best out of the two. It seemed to have more substance than the second, although only a little bit.

All in all it's an exciting 90 minute adrenaline ride, but it shouldn't have lasted any longer than that. I can recommend it if you feel like watching a quick, brainless action movie with a bit of a twist, but don't expect too much from it.

My parents got that one on DVD. Thanks for reminding me I still gotta watch it.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-25 15:41:26

I watched Forrest Gump again last night and I still loved it. Even though I knew exactly what was going to happen, I still loved the characters (Lt. Dan and Bubba rule), the situations (I love how Forrest meets three different Presidents and gets bored of meeting them after a while), and the lines ("That's all I have to say about that."). Great American film.

But then I got to thinking and I believe that Tom Hanks is definitely my favorite actor based solely on the fact that he's been in so many films and in each one of them he does a tremendous job of acting like he's supposed to and making you believe in the character. How can you hate a man who's been involved with such great flicks like Big, Philadelphia, Forrest Gump, Apollo 13, Toy Story, Saving Private Ryan, The Green Mile, Toy Story 2, Cast Away, Cars, The Simpsons Movie, Where the Wild Things Are, and Toy Story 3?

Hell, the guy even hosted SNL in its golden years over five times and even made a guest appearance on Happy Days!

So, yeah, he's awesome.

Cinema Club

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-25 21:02:03

At 7/24/10 06:38 PM, Auz wrote: It seemed to have more substance than the second, although only a little bit.

Crank is great. I think the second one is a shit covered copy of the first. Fuck Crank 2. It was the same movie but with weaker delivery of the same comedy that worked so great in the first one, with some bad additional comedy.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-25 23:10:19

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby is one of my guilty pleasure movies. It's not the wittiest or most subtle comedy, but it's so damn entertaining. Every time I watch it I laugh. It's obvious the actors had a lot of fun making it.
8/10

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-25 23:38:28

At 7/25/10 11:10 PM, Ptero wrote: Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

"This giant sticker is dangerous and unnecessary, but I sure do love Fig Newtons."

- -

So I saw Inception tonight. It was incredible, but didn't exceed my expectations because they were so high. I don't understand how anyone was confused at all with any part of the movie though...

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-25 23:41:44

At 7/25/10 11:04 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: Has anyone seen Despicable Me yet? Me and my family were planning to see it later this week, and from what I gather it has mediocre reviews.

It's your standard CGI kid-flick. If I were you, I'd go and see it, but I'd make sure to turn my brain off and just enjoy it as dumb action, comedy animated flick. Don't be expecting Pixar.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-26 01:14:18

I just finished watching The Road

This movie was definitely something memorable.

The film does a better job than any film I've seen before it of creating a world so nightmarish, despicable, and unsettling that it makes it all more enthralling to watch.

It's a depressing film, if you're smiling at any point there's something wrong with you. The imagery is what\, in my opinion, sets the bar for this film. I won't spoil anything but some of the scenes in this film are difficult to watch. Not just because they're violent, but because of the implications they carry.

All in all it's a wonderful film and even though the boy character pissed me off with his incompetence and general onus, it's an emotionally powerful experience.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-26 01:20:14

At 7/26/10 01:14 AM, Gobblemeister wrote: I just finished watching The Road

That movie almost made me cry at a movie for the first time ever. It was cruelly sad, but I really liked it. I need to read the book.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-26 16:41:24

I forgot to mention that I watched Grown Ups Saturday night at a friend's. It was definitely filled with terrible jokes we've seen a hundred times before, but it honestly wasn't as bad as I had expected. Still, it isn't really worth watching.

Tonight me and my brother are going to watch Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. This will be my second time seeing Batman Begins and I don't think I've ever watched it to the end. It will be my fifth or sixth time seeing The Dark Knight.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-27 15:30:10

I've been a busy body and started using Lovefilm again. I've seen Goodfellas now properly (it's the hardest film to watch) after it being split up into two parts on Channel 5 I missed the second half, so I got this lovefilm copy only for it to be on one of those old Side-A Side-B DVD's and the B side was like 2 scenes and the rest was missing. So I went all criminal and got a copy from icefilms.

Then I watched Reservoir Dogs. I used to think I hated Tarantino and his big chin, but this film is exceptionally great. I'll get Pulp Fiction next and maybe then A Clockwork Orange.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-27 17:55:58

I went to the cinema to see Inception tonight.

I gotta say that I was impressed. I expected a lot from it and it did live up to my expectations. I thought the whole concept of getting into peoples dreams to steal information and the dreams into dreams thing was very interesting and very thought provoking. The plot wasn't as complicated as I expected it would be. It is followable if you just keep paying attention.

*SPOILER ALERT*
The only bad thing I'd like to mention is that I kinda hoped the movie would be more imaginative. Like in the beginning you see this pretty cool scene where they take this girl into a dream together with Cobb and after a while stuff starts to explode and the city is turned upside down and I was like... wow that's cool! But the movie never really takes it any further than that, it keeps bordering on reality.

I heard someone say that it might have been interesting if they explored nightmares as well, with monsters and other kinds of crazy shit. I don't think it should've gone that far, but something like... faceless people as in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind would have been nice for example.
*END SPOILER*

Overall I would say that it is definitely worth a visit to the cinema. I can imagine that not everyone would like it, but like I said it is very thought provoking and probably the most interesting movie of 2010 thus far.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-27 18:31:12

hell yeah im joining i love movies :D favorite movie i last saw was transformers the first one by director Micheal Bay.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-27 23:27:29

At 7/27/10 06:31 PM, Beeboto wrote: hell yeah im joining i love movies :D favorite movie i last saw was transformers the first one by director Micheal Bay.

Must not judge... must not judge... must not judge...

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-28 15:18:34

After re-watching the Batman movies, I'm in the mood for Spider-Man. I think I'll watch Spider-Man 1 - 3 today and tomorrow. Ah how I love superhero movies... But not 'Superhero Movie'.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-28 16:53:25

I just watched Shrek 4.

It was alright. I expected worse to be honest, but I think it's good that they end the series. After four movies and one christmas special, I really don't think they can get anything more out of this franchise.

What I mainly didn't like about the movie is how everything that was established in the former movies was just thrown out of the window. I guess it was the only way to make something decent out of this, but it sort of felt like watching the first movie all over again. It almost became frustrating at times.

Overall I would not recommend seeing this one in the cinemas. If you really feel like watching it, just wait until you can get the DVD for a low price or watch it on TV or something.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-28 20:15:19

At 7/28/10 03:18 PM, Makeshift wrote: I think I'll watch Spider-Man 1 - 3 today and tomorrow.

I hated Spiderman 3. The other 2 were cool, though.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-29 03:50:02

At 7/29/10 03:22 AM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote:
At 7/28/10 08:15 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 7/28/10 03:18 PM, Makeshift wrote: I think I'll watch Spider-Man 1 - 3 today and tomorrow.
I hated Spiderman 3. The other 2 were cool, though.
There were some stupid moments, and Venom was added in at the last second, but I thought Spiderman 3 was quite good, especially the scenes with Sandman. Yeah, it's not as good as the second movie (I think it might be either better or worse than the first) but it was entertaining as hell.

Well, Spider-Man 1 is my favourite. I like how it explores how Peter Parker gets his powers, like how Batman Begins shows Bruce Wayne become Batman. I almost like Batman Begins more than The Dark Knight, but there is far less unintended humour in The Dark Knight.

Cough Cough: Batman's voice.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-29 03:59:04

Hey, cool club, I'll join.
My favorite movies:

Necromentia
Saw 6
My Bloody Valentine 3D
Friday the 13th
The Butterfly Effect
Transformers [II]
The Fast and the Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious
Final Destination [1; 2; 3; 4]
Transporter 2

I think I missed some other movies, but these are the ones that I can remember.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-29 04:12:31

My Bloody Valentine 3D

This is the funniest unintentionally funny movie ever made in the last decade. Everyone please rent this to agree with me.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-07-29 11:00:04

so, movies I recently saw

the remake of the Crazies - meh
the Warlords - meh

At 7/29/10 03:22 AM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: There were some stupid moments, and Venom was added in at the last second, but I thought Spiderman 3 was quite good, especially the scenes with Sandman. Yeah, it's not as good as the second movie (I think it might be either better or worse than the first) but it was entertaining as hell.

I hated Spiderman 3.

At 7/29/10 03:50 AM, Makeshift wrote: Well, Spider-Man 1 is my favourite.

The first one is my favorite, too. I heard there's already going to be a new reboot disregarding the last 3 movies. It seems like a weird choice to me, but I hope it's cool.

Cough Cough: Batman's voice.

Yeah, his voice kinda threw me off a bit the first time I saw Batman Begins.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature