00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

433,506 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-03 14:10:13

At 8/3/10 02:03 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote:
At 8/2/10 09:35 PM, Makeshift wrote: I haven't seen Toy Story 3 and 99% of reviews say it's awesome, I'm going to say it's overrated.

I don't know why you did this. I watched it last night with my family. It really wasn't enjoyable. I was just watching the last two movies with a less refined plot. It was just, "we're going to escape from here. now we're going to be stuck here. now we escape from here." There weren't any funny moments either. What was so great about it?

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-03 14:14:31

At 7/31/10 10:06 PM, Makeshift wrote:
At 7/31/10 07:46 PM, Auz wrote: Watched Christopher Nolan's Insomnia, his fourth I believe.
I wanted to see that, along with Memento. I was actually just about to watch The Prestige, but then I remembered seeing it. Almost want to rewatch it, but I haven't watched 8 Mile yet, so I've decided to watch 8 Mile. I know, big difference between Nolan and (imdb...) Curtis hanson.

I wasn't so impressed by 8 Mile to be honest, but that could be because I'm not an Eminem fan.

Also Memento is waaaay better than Insomnia in my honest opinion, but Insomnia is still worth watching like I said. If only it was for the fact that it was made by Christopher Nolan, who's probably gonna make a shitload of great, interesting movies in the future. Always good to watch some of the early work of such directors.

At 8/3/10 02:03 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote:
At 8/2/10 09:35 PM, Makeshift wrote: I haven't seen Toy Story 3 and 99% of reviews say it's awesome, I'm going to say it's overrated.

Actually, some of my friends went to see it and they also said it is very overrated. After seeing Toy Story 1 and 2 I'm afraid I will think the same, but I guess I better not judge it yet.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-03 14:28:12

At 8/3/10 02:14 PM, Auz wrote: I wasn't so impressed by 8 Mile to be honest, but that could be because I'm not an Eminem fan.

Maybe it's because I'm a huge Eminem fan but I thought the film was fantastic, probably in my ultimate top ten films and without doubt the film I've seen the most times.

Re-watched Inglorious Basterds today, another film I really rate. I actually remembered it being slightly better than it actually was but it's fantastic regardless. The opening scene is probably my favorite in movie history. The dialogue and emotion are so perfect and realistic.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-03 14:28:55

Grave of the Fireflies is so damn depressing. Anyone who laughs at that movie is an asshole.

At 8/2/10 08:58 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Watched tombstone last night.

Tombstone is THE FUCKING SHIT.

I'm your huckleberry.

At 8/3/10 03:40 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Ichi the Killer.

That there's a messed up movie.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-03 14:31:16

At 8/3/10 02:28 PM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Re-watched Inglorious Basterds today, another film I really rate.

I agree with EclecticEnnui that there are a couple of scenes that really should have been cut shorter. I felt like the editor fell asleep on the job. Still, the movie is awesome.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-03 14:42:34

At 8/3/10 02:28 PM, DannyIsOnFire wrote:
At 8/3/10 02:14 PM, Auz wrote: I wasn't so impressed by 8 Mile to be honest, but that could be because I'm not an Eminem fan.
Maybe it's because I'm a huge Eminem fan but I thought the film was fantastic

I really liked it and I'm not really an Eminem fan. At least not the stuff he put out at the time the film was made. I enjoy his new music a lot more.

Re-watched Inglorious Basterds today, another film I really rate.

The first time I watched it, it was terrible. That is only because I watched it with my mom who decided it would be a great idea to bitch about the subtitles. I agree, it would be nicer to watch if they had just left authenticity behind and spoke in full English, but it was still a great movie. (My mom actually admitted she enjoyed the movie too). I also agree with the point about some scenes being too long.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-03 14:55:27

At 8/3/10 02:42 PM, Makeshift wrote: The first time I watched it, it was terrible. That is only because I watched it with my mom who decided it would be a great idea to bitch about the subtitles.

I fucking hate people who complain about subtitles.

I gotta read?! I can't do that! waaaaaa!

The amount of people who got up and left the theater when I went to see Pan's Labyrinth when they realized it was subtitled made me sigh.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-03 15:18:40

At 8/3/10 02:55 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 8/3/10 02:42 PM, Makeshift wrote: The first time I watched it, it was terrible. That is only because I watched it with my mom who decided it would be a great idea to bitch about the subtitles.
I fucking hate people who complain about subtitles.

I gotta read?! I can't do that! waaaaaa!

Why is that such a big deal anyway? Where I live, every movie is subtitled and I actually like it that way. Dutch dubbed versions of movies always suck and with subtitles on I won't have to concentrate so hard on the sound.

Also, if you don't want to read, stop complaining about the subtitles and start learning German, Italian and French =/

The amount of people who got up and left the theater when I went to see Pan's Labyrinth when they realized it was subtitled made me sigh.

They really did that? Wow... Pan's Labyrinth is one of the best films of the past decade. What a waste. Didn't they watch a trailer or something before they decided to buy a ticket?

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-03 18:12:01

Just finished watching Dead Man Running which I didn't have massive hopes for but actually quite enjoyed. Danny Dyer's often hit and miss but he and Tamer Hassan seem to work well together (The Business and to a lesser extent, City Rats). It's simple action but with some funny lines and decent fight scenes. Easy watching with a few laughs.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-03 18:39:14

At 8/3/10 02:28 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Grave of the Fireflies is so damn depressing. Anyone who laughs at that movie is an asshole.

At 8/2/10 08:58 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Watched tombstone last night.
Tombstone is THE FUCKING SHIT.

I'm your huckleberry.

Like I said before: Best western movie that I've ever seen. I loved Val Kilmer and Sam Elliot in this. The scene where Doc Holiday shoots Johnny Ringo in the face was one of my favorite moments in all of my time watching movies.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-03 18:54:54

I watched Yeti: Curse of the Snow Demon.

An American football team's plane crashes in the Himalayas and they argue, stab rabbits, and cannibalise the corpses of their friends. Oh, and there's a Yeti too, but he's only in for about 30 seconds, and the main body of the cast isn't even aware of him until the last half hour or so, he spends the rest of the time murdering the ones sent to find a radio and then standing on mountain tops looking angry.

In a break from traditional Sci-Fi Original effects, this has both bad (even worse than normal) CGI and horrifically bad man-in-a-monkey-suit effects. It is also host to one of the most infuriatingly stupid scenes in any monster movie. One of the girls has been kidnapped for some reason (this is not explained), so they find the Yeti's lair and dig a pit outside, fill it with sharpened sticks, and then go into the cave, WAKE IT UP, and lure it out into the pit. They were carrying fucking hand guns. Shoot it in the head while it's asleep, for fuck's sake.

Also, as with all Sci-Fi Originals, the final scene has to either show that the creature is still alive, or that there's another one. In this case, the Yeti's hand reaches out of the pit it was buried in. Thing is, it reaches out with the fuselage of the aeroplane in the background, when it was buried miles away, AND the fuselage had already been pushed off a cliff earlier in the film.

2/10 in real movie terms, 4/10 in B movie terms.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-03 19:10:54

At 8/3/10 03:18 PM, Auz wrote: They really did that? Wow... Pan's Labyrinth is one of the best films of the past decade.

agreed. one of my favorites.

At 8/3/10 06:39 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Like I said before: Best western movie that I've ever seen.

I dunno if I could consider it the one best western, but it's a favorite western of mine, along with the Wild Bunch, Pale Rider, and the man with no name trilogy.

The scene where Doc Holiday shoots Johnny Ringo in the face was one of my favorite moments in all of my time watching movies.

lol Michael Biehn always dies.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-03 19:20:33

At 8/3/10 07:10 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 8/3/10 03:18 PM, Auz wrote: They really did that? Wow... Pan's Labyrinth is one of the best films of the past decade.
agreed. one of my favorites.

I didn't get to see it because my parents got pissed about the subtitles and chucked it in the yard sale. I don't think it actually sold, so I should go through our yard sale stuff to find it.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-03 19:29:19

At 8/3/10 07:20 PM, Makeshift wrote: I didn't get to see it because my parents got pissed about the subtitles and chucked it in the yard sale.

Your parents make me sick....no offense.

Wait....you're saying they got rid of a DVD because of subtitles? Was this a legit DVD copy? Cuz I'm pretty sure it's also dubbed.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-03 19:33:08

Urgh, thats depressing. People who'll choose foreign characters speaking the Queens English > some actually or close enough authenticity are dicks. Films like Valkyrie and especially Good would have been so much better had they been in German, or at least English with German accents.
It completely ruins any illusion that you're seeing a real story unfold. Mel Gibson is great for this in my opinion. I've been completely drawn in to both Passion of Christ's and Apocalypto's worlds. They'd have been crap films if they'd starred Tom Cruise being Tom Cruise.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-04 19:37:51

I watched The Usual Suspects for the very first time. I've had this one on my shelf for months, but tonight I finally decided to go watch it. Comments I'm giving might be a bit spoiler-y by the way, so you better stop reading if you don't want to get anything spoiled for you.

I'm a little unsure how to rate it. The first hour of the movie is actually not that interesting in my opinion. It starts of kinda slow and seems like a fairly ordinary cop/crime investigation film. When Keyser Soze was mentioned though, the movie got way more interesting all of a sudden. The atmosphere changed and the ending is quite satisfying I must say.

However, I'm wondering if the movie is worth all of its praise. There is actually not that much special about it when you think of it. There's only the big twist at the end which suddenly changes everything, but there are shitloads of movies who use big plot twists like that so it's nothing new really.

Nonetheless, I can not deny that it is a very well made modern noir film. I think it would be interesting to go see it again someday with the ending in mind.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-04 20:00:37

At 8/4/10 07:37 PM, Auz wrote: There is actually not that much special about it when you think of it. There's only the big twist at the end which suddenly changes everything.

I think it would be interesting to go see it again someday with the ending in mind.

I haven't watched The Usual Suspects, but what you said here reminds me of The Perfect Getaway. The movie was kind of a drag, not providing anything all too interesting. The only thing it does nicely is get you wondering who the killer(s) are, but My Bloody Valentine did that and it wasn't a great movie. But, the ending of The Perfect Getaway was so interesting that I want to see it again and it makes up for the rest of the movie.

I'm trying to explain this without spoiling anything...

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-04 20:33:56

I watched Infestation.

Fun little Horror Comedy in style of the likes of Eight Legged Freaks or Slither. Giant (presumably alien) bugs invade a city, knock everyone unconscious and cocoon them. Guy wakes up, wakes up a few other people, and they set out for the nearby military base. Bog standard stuff. The main character is very likeable, and the rest of the cast are fairly well done stock characters. You've got the stuck up attractive woman, the more down to earth love interest, the arrogant douche who'll inevitably be killed and so on.

One minor complaint is the ending. After apparently defeating the bugs, they're waking more survivors in the street, and hear a rumbling, one of the characters says something to the effect of "What now?" and it cuts to the credits. This is fair enough in something like Deep Rising, where it's played for laughs, but here it's just tacked on as a last minute twist, and it doesn't work.

On the whole a competent entry to the genre. Not a must see by any stretch of the imagination, but if you've already seen all the big names and just want more of the same, it's worth a look.

6/10.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-04 21:57:45

At 8/4/10 07:37 PM, Auz wrote: I watched The Usual Suspects for the very first time.

The only reason I haven't seen this is the ending has been spoiled for me, like most people.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-04 21:59:43

At 8/4/10 09:57 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 8/4/10 07:37 PM, Auz wrote: I watched The Usual Suspects for the very first time.
The only reason I haven't seen this is the ending has been spoiled for me, like most people.

I actually saw it without hearing of the ending first. I didn't even know what it was when I saw it on instant Netflix, but I saw the high rating and decided to watch it. I could not believe the ending.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-05 18:04:25

Watched Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

It's a very entertaining movie in my opinion. Looks very much like Snatch which was to be expected since it's from the same director with a similar cast. I would recommend it to anyone who likes fast paced action movies with a humorous plot.

At 8/4/10 09:59 PM, Ptero wrote:
At 8/4/10 09:57 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
I actually saw it without hearing of the ending first. I didn't even know what it was when I saw it on instant Netflix, but I saw the high rating and decided to watch it. I could not believe the ending.

I didn't know the ending yet either, and I agree it seems a little hard to believe. I got a feeling there are loads of plotholes in the movie, but I bet I'll see it all fits when I watch it a second time.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-05 18:19:27

lock stock is an awesome movie.

" 'e takes a black rubba cock and beats 'im to death wiv it."

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-06 00:01:06

I just saw One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It was a great movie, but the cast really stood out. How could you go wrong with Christopher Lloyd, Jack Nicholson and Danny DeVito, among others? Recommended if you are a human being.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-08 13:18:35

watched They will be blood last night I had to say it was a powerful film the characters were so interesting..especially the preacher i could tell he was lying about his faith and his preachings. The story was very good it had so much to tell.. I give the film 9/10 im giving it a 9 due to it could have done with more subplots.. Please give me some feedback on my review guys

cherry garcia: its like having an angel cum in your mouth

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-08 14:53:30

At 8/8/10 01:18 PM, therealanimator wrote: Please give me some feedback on my review guys

I haven't seen the movie, but try to slow down and use more grammar.

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-08 15:20:43

Watched The Burrowers.

Great film. Horror Western done right. Unlike stuff like Tremors 4, which just feels like a normal horror film that happens to be taking place during a fancy dress party, this would genuinely work as a western if you took the monsters out.

It's basically The Searchers with monsters. A small farm is attacked, and the family disappear. It's assumed Indians have taken them, and a party sets out to find them and get them back. After capturing and torturing an Indian, they are told "The Burrowers" took them, which they assume is a tribe they've never heard of, and they set off in search.

What I really liked was how little the monsters featured. For about 3/4 of the film, the protagonists didn't even know they existed, and it played out like a normal (and actually pretty great) Western, with Indian ambushes and such, while you'd see the monsters killing other people who'd broken away from the main group and stuff like that.

Definitely recommend it. 8/10.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-10 09:44:51

Watched Pan's Labyrinth and really enjoyed it. A beautiful film that was a fantastic alternative to the hundreds of mindless action and shooting films I watch. Almost poetic in it's storytelling ability.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-10 10:02:21

Watched 24 Hour Party People and The Goonies.

24 Hour Party People is about the Manchester Music scene in the late 70s, 80s and early 90s, and more specifically about Factory Records and the bands they signed, including Joy Division and The Happy Mondays. Steve Coogan (who frequently channels Alan Partridge) stars as Tony Wilson, founder of Factory Records, is serves as both a character and as narrator, frequently breaking the fourth wall to provide perspective on the things being seen.

One of the best things about it is that is features many actors who are famous now in relatively minor roles. John Simm and Ralf Little play Bernard Sumner and Peter Hook from Joy Division, who both feature quite a lot, but then you also have the likes of Peter Kay, Simon Pegg, Rob Brydon and Christopher Eccleston in what are little more than cameos. Andy Serkis, better known as Gollum, is also in it.

It's a great film, with fantastic humour throughout (the sequence where Shaun and Paul Ryder poison 3000 pigeons is superb), but I think you'd need at least a passing interest in the music itself to enjoy it.

9/10.

The Goonies accomplished the impossible by having an entire cast of child characters without any of them being irritating little shits or horrifically bad actors. Simplistic plot, you can see how it'll end about 3 minutes in, but that's not the point, it's a film about the adventure itself, and it's works due to the characters themselves.

The whole thing is terribly cliched, but that's sort of the point, seeing as it's a tribute to the likes of Indiana Jones and other adventure films.

8/10.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-10 17:39:25

i just finished watching ponyo excellent story

jordan

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2010-08-10 20:15:31

Me and my girlfriend just watched Mulholland Drive. Might spoil a bit here, so don't read if you don't wanna know.

We're not quite sure what to think of it. Our reactions during and after the movie were like: "Is this going anywhere yet?", "Did that scene have a point?", "Meh, this movie is probably less deep than it pretends to be", "This might have been literally about nothing".

I think anyone would be confused after the first time they watch it. So we looked for some plot interpretations and perhaps we weren't too far off with that last comment. The two most common interpretations seem to be the dream concept and the director simply messing with the audience's mind.

I think latter is more likely. A couple of storylines were established that just never came back and they seemed to be there just to make the audience speculate about them. Anyway, I guess the director did a good job at fucking with our minds, but whether I really like the movie now that I know that... I don't think so. Nonetheless, it did feel like something unique, something I haven't seen before so that's a big plus. I can imagine other people might really like this and get way more out of it than we did.

If we're just plain wrong about the meaning and anyone here can enlighten us, I'd gladly hear by the way.

BBS Signature