Be a Supporter!

Cinema Club

  • 151,430 Views
  • 5,045 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
boloneyman
boloneyman
  • Member since: May. 24, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 20th, 2010 @ 07:43 PM Reply

At 6/18/10 07:29 PM, Jack wrote: I watched Daybreakers, the guys who made it also made the Aussie zombie which I thought was terrible. Daybreakers on the other hand, was totally awesome. It had some really fantastic ideas of how these vampires are able to live on the earth without being burnt by the sun. Also, coffee with blood in it lolololol.

8/10

I couldn't get over the fact that they named the main character Edward. Also, the antagonist was really incompetent. Turning his daughter and then mourning over the fact she was killing herself like it was completely unavoidable. I didn't understand why the vamps exploded when staked, or why sunlight cured them. It wasn't a horrible movie in my opinion, but I wouldn't call it good.

Saw Toy Story 3 at midnight. It was just perfect. I've never been so emotionally invested in a story. Pixar wins once again. 10/10


I am a new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 20th, 2010 @ 08:42 PM Reply

At 6/18/10 07:29 PM, Jack wrote: Pontypool, was also good. Visually, it looked incredible and I thought the whole mystery of what was actually happening was interesting. For me, it kinda lost its edge towards the end, dialogue seemed forced from time to time and another character appears near the end who seems to of come from a completely different film.

6/10

I don't know of that character you're talking about and the dialogue never sounded forced to me. (*Spoilers*) It wouldn't be fair to count the radio dialogue for that because, after all, the guy's a professional and after what they've been through that night, I believed everything he said on the radio at the end. Good to know you enjoyed it, though.

At 6/20/10 07:43 PM, boloneyman wrote: Saw Toy Story 3 at midnight. It was just perfect. I've never been so emotionally invested in a story. Pixar wins once again. 10/10

Yes, they've done it again. I don't think it's perfect, but it's definitely one of the best films of the year. Wrote a review.


BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Member since: Sep. 19, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 20th, 2010 @ 09:02 PM Reply

*SPOILERS BELOW*

I recently saw The Messenger. I mainly saw it because I've always liked Woody Harrelson and the acclaim he got in this film interested me. So I watched it and within the first 20 minutes I noticed how it kind of felt like Up in the Air at first. In the sense that they are both bearers of bad news and that there is a rookie being trained by a vet in the 'ways' of Notification as I will call it.

In my opinion the first hour or so is the most intense part of the film. The first hour catalogs a series of emotionally endearing and moving Notifications that include a man (Steve Buscemi) losing his son and a young woman losing the husband she married behind her father's back. The film keeps the idea fresh and doesn't let it drown the film in gloom. Admittedly the film slows down after that and centers more on the increasingly illicit and in my opinion reprehensible affair between the protagonist and the wife of a fallen soldier. I think the fact that I had moral issues with their affair made it harder for me to enjoy the last hour and a half. The affair is a very human one though. The widow is not a bombshell she is simply someone that the protagonist develops a deep relationship with.

In the end I found The Messenger to be a very human film and one of a series of moving Iraq War films that manages to keep itself away from the politics.

4/5

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Member since: May. 12, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 20th, 2010 @ 09:21 PM Reply

I saw The Wolf Man recently. The original, not the new one.

Not bad, but it takes FOREVER to get going. Standard monster film stuff, probably because it and other films of the time SET the standards. Doesn't hold up as well as, say, The Mummy does, though.

6/10.

Also saw Thirdspace, the third Babylon 5 film.

Great stuff. It's based on The Call of Cthulu, and is basically the same story, except updated to work in space. The standalone nature is a welcome change from most of B5, as it goes bang in between two story arcs in the main show. I don't think it would work well as a film in it's own right, though, as it sort of assumes you already know who all of the characters are and such. More like a good two-part episode.

8/10.


PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Member since: Jul. 5, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 20th, 2010 @ 11:54 PM Reply

Recently saw Toy Story 3.

I don't want to spoil anything, but let me just say that I loved this movie. It had the perfect mix of nostalgia, comedy, adventure, drama, and suspense. The characters that we've all loved to pieces for the last 15 years return with flair and the story does not fail to entertain. The ending is bittersweet, but a fitting conclusion to the saga.

This may be just my opinion, but I'll be damned if I don't share it.

Boys, Pixar has done the impossible: Created a perfectly balanced and awesome trilogy of movies.

10/10. Perfect film. Getting it on Blu-Ray the second that it is available. I recommend it with all of my heart.

Cinema Club


Sig by FB - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 21st, 2010 @ 01:45 PM Reply

I re-watched Snatch. the other day and it was still very enjoyable. Best enjoyed when watched with a bunch of friends I think.

That's about all I've seen the past few weeks. I'm a little distracted from watching movies due to the world cup going on this month.

At 6/20/10 11:54 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Recently saw Toy Story 3.

I walked passed the cinema yesterday and it looks like Toy Story 3 is the only interesting movie at the moment. For the rest it seems to be nothing but mediocrity that's dominating the cinema's right now. Although I heard the A-team movie was alright.

Anyway I'm hoping for some good releases this summer, because thus far 2010 hasn't been that great.


[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 12 July 2014)

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 21st, 2010 @ 06:24 PM Reply

haha. They Live is great.

OBEY

At 6/21/10 04:45 PM, Mendou wrote: Watched "To Live and Die in L.A." the other night.

That was a decent movie, but man, fucking Wang Chung. uuuugh. blech.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
AceBaronLuigi
AceBaronLuigi
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Animator
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 22nd, 2010 @ 01:24 AM Reply

Watched Evil Dead recently. For something of a student film, I thought it was really good, especially how they turned the camera into a character. Getting Evil Dead 2 on Netflix in a day or two. I'm betting that it's going to be pretty awesome. What with the chainsaws and demon arms.


It's all cool, guys.

Jack
Jack
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 22nd, 2010 @ 02:40 PM Reply

At 6/20/10 08:42 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
I don't know of that character you're talking about and the dialogue never sounded forced to me. (*Spoilers*) It wouldn't be fair to count the radio dialogue for that because, after all, the guy's a professional and after what they've been through that night, I believed everything he said on the radio at the end. Good to know you enjoyed it, though.

The character I was referring to was the Doctor who climbs through the window, I just thought he a bit too comedic and unrealistic compared to the other characters. Also, the dialogue I was referring to was when Grant and his producer were arguing at the beginning, about what he should and should not being saying. That said, the acting for the most part was pretty excellent.

btw, I might check out Exotica next.

At 6/20/10 07:43 PM, boloneyman wrote:
I couldn't get over the fact that they named the main character Edward. Also, the antagonist was really incompetent. Turning his daughter and then mourning over the fact she was killing herself like it was completely unavoidable. I didn't understand why the vamps exploded when staked, or why sunlight cured them. It wasn't a horrible movie in my opinion, but I wouldn't call it good.

I just thought it was a totally refreshing take on the Vampire genre. Sam Neill's character wanted what he thought was best for his daughter, he hoped he could turn he in to a vampire and she'd just drink the human blood they gave her - he never thought she'd feed off herself. But yeah, the dude didn't really think shit through.

As for why the vampires exploded when staked, no reason I guess, maybe the filmmakers just thought it would be more impressive if they blew to pieces rather then just falling to the ground. As for the sunlight curing them, it was just something the filmmakers just made up for the film. I dunno, I just liked the fact the thing the vampires feared most and avoided, was the thing that could actually cure them.

At 6/22/10 01:24 AM, AceBaronLuigi wrote: Watched Evil Dead recently. For something of a student film, I thought it was really good, especially how they turned the camera into a character. Getting Evil Dead 2 on Netflix in a day or two. I'm betting that it's going to be pretty awesome. What with the chainsaws and demon arms.

Yeah, Sam Raimi was 20 years old when he made that - what a fucking badass.

But yeah, you're in for a real treat with Evil Dead II - it's what influenced me to make films of my own.


Baby Britain.
Xbox Live Gamertag: JackFrustration - PSN: JackSawyer

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 22nd, 2010 @ 05:14 PM Reply

Watched Hard Candy last night, and have been wanting to see this for a few years since I read about the whole 'paedophilia turned on its head' sorta plot. Though it wasn't what I was expecting, I thought it was an awkward 'girl tries to seduce man who isn't that interested' story. But no, its actually a very good suspenseful thriller with little awkwardness and lots of 'Why, Lord!'s and plenty of tears.

I enjoyed it as a piece of cinema but wasn't all that fond of the end (cause sad endings piss me off :P). The story is good for debate I reckon as the paedo in the story was the most sympathetic character in my mind.


Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 22nd, 2010 @ 05:49 PM Reply

A film about Facebook is coming out soon.

At 6/22/10 02:40 PM, Jack wrote:
At 6/20/10 08:42 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
The character I was referring to was the Doctor who climbs through the window, I just thought he a bit too comedic and unrealistic compared to the other characters. Also, the dialogue I was referring to was when Grant and his producer were arguing at the beginning, about what he should and should not being saying. That said, the acting for the most part was pretty excellent.

Fair enough. The film does have an offbeat feeling to it and the radio announcer is at least kind of eccentric, which probably explains if he said anything "unrealistic" in the argument.

btw, I might check out Exotica next.

Great choice.

At 6/20/10 07:43 PM, boloneyman wrote: I couldn't get over the fact that they named the main character Edward.

It was filmed in 2007. Unless one of the writers admired Edward enough from the Twilight books to use the same name, it's a coincidence. Yeah, I think Daybreakers is a good film. Sort of standard storytelling with the guy becoming an outcast, switching sides, finding a cure, and going against an evil corporation. Nonetheless, the premise is different, the film's thrilling at times, the acting and writing is between good and decent, and the production values are terrific.


BBS Signature
Jack
Jack
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 22nd, 2010 @ 05:54 PM Reply

At 6/22/10 05:14 PM, Nev wrote: Watched Hard Candy last night, and have been wanting to see this for a few years since I read about the whole 'paedophilia turned on its head' sorta plot. Though it wasn't what I was expecting, I thought it was an awkward 'girl tries to seduce man who isn't that interested' story. But no, its actually a very good suspenseful thriller with little awkwardness and lots of 'Why, Lord!'s and plenty of tears.

I enjoyed it as a piece of cinema but wasn't all that fond of the end (cause sad endings piss me off :P). The story is good for debate I reckon as the paedo in the story was the most sympathetic character in my mind.

Yeah, I remember when the film came out some people were like "HOW DARE THIS FILM SHOW A PEDO IN A GOOD LIGHT?!!??!", which really isn't the case. It's about setting up a story, where your introduced to the hero and a villain in the first few minutes of the film but over time reconsidering which one is which.

I mean, we know Patrick Wilson's character did horrible things but we can't help feeling sorry for him.

Also, the director, David Slade is directing the new Twilight film. Yeah.

-----------

Oh and Sense-Offender, I watched Shivers. You were right, totally retarded.

I mean, it is some what inspiring somebody could make such a shitty first film then go on to make so many great ones. I mean honestly, some of Shivers were so incredibly bad.

Worst part: The owner of the building luring the couple in to a rabid orgy, where the owner turns out to be infected himself.


Baby Britain.
Xbox Live Gamertag: JackFrustration - PSN: JackSawyer

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 22nd, 2010 @ 06:26 PM Reply

At 6/22/10 05:54 PM, Jack wrote: Yeah, I remember when the film came out some people were like "HOW DARE THIS FILM SHOW A PEDO IN A GOOD LIGHT?!!??!", which really isn't the case.

That sounds more like certain reactions to The Woodsman because the pedophile character is humanized. Roger Ebert wrote in his review, "The reason we cannot accept pedophilia as we accept many other sexual practices is that it requires an innocent partner, whose life could be irreparably harmed. We do not have the right to do that. If there is no other way to achieve sexual satisfaction, that is our misfortune, but not an excuse. It is not the pedophile that is evil, but the pedophilia. That is true of all sins and crimes and those tempted to perform them: It is not that we are capable of transgression that condemns us, but that we are willing."

It's about setting up a story, where your introduced to the hero and a villain in the first few minutes of the film but over time reconsidering which one is which.

It doesn't have to be that way. Both are villains, but which one is the lesser of two evils? Hard Candy's a well made film that's unsettling and suspenseful. I can remember how shocked I was when I saw it in the cinema. Ellen Page is amazing with her character being psychotic. The performance does go a bit over-the-top, but not like the late Dennis Hopper as Frank Booth in Blue Velvet, which is also a great performance. Hard Candy's definitely a thinking person's thriller, so if you want answers to everything, you'll be disappointed.


BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Member since: Jul. 23, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 22nd, 2010 @ 06:36 PM Reply

If I'd had more visual reasons to dislike Wilson's character then I think I'd be less sympathetic to him. Like, okay he is pretty wrong with the pictures of teenagers and the whole flirting with a 14 year old but you don't actually see him harm anyone. And given his pleas of innocence and the fact Ellen's character is torturing him I think you get a sense of 'Innocent until proven guilty'. Obviously he was a paedophile but the film didn't show that enough for me. Which is understandable because you'd never get away with showing kiddy porn on camera.


Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 27th, 2010 @ 02:43 AM Reply

Saw Shutter Island and I think it's one of the best films of the year. I got into the mystery and DiCaprio's character as he and his partner search for a missing patient on the island. The film's a mindfuck. There are beautiful uses of dream sequences and the production values overall are kind of hyperreal to watch. Even though I more or less saw the twist in the end coming, partly because I already knew there was gonna be one, the film did keep me guessing. I can hardly think of bad things to write about. The music at the beginning is overly dramatic, but that's what only sticks out. I don't know whether this film will stand the test of time, although I hope it does.


BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 28th, 2010 @ 03:49 PM Reply

I watched The Cider House Rules yesterday. A movie that got crowned with two Oscars, one for best adapted screenplay (it's based on a book) and one for best supporting actor.

It's about a guy named Homer Wells (Tobey MacGuire) who is in his mid-20's and lived all his life in an orphanage with a doctor (Michael Caine) as caretaker for all the children. In the orphanage they also do baby deliveries and abortions, even though they are forbidden. Homer is trained in how to perform these medical procedures and after taking care of a patient he decides to travel with her and her husband to their apple farm. There he tries to make a living for himself.

It was good in my opinion, but nothing too amazing. I thought there were a lot of loose ends in the story, that were probably worked out much better in the book.


[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 12 July 2014)

BBS Signature
Thestickcreator
Thestickcreator
  • Member since: Sep. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 28th, 2010 @ 04:17 PM Reply

watched raining stones the other day great all-round performances and wonderful direction from ken loach.
nothing like a chunk of social realism to wake you up


Thestickcreator
Doctor who crew
Cinema club

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 29th, 2010 @ 03:54 PM Reply

I watched Shutter Island last Friday and I agree that it's a great movie despite being able to guess the end. lol @ the music at the beginning. DUN DUN DUN NOTHING IS HAPPENING YET DUN DUN DUN.

I also saw the Road, which is incredibly depressing, but also great.

And I watched some shitty Japanese movie called Azumi. Everything about that movie was bad, other than the girl who played the main character being pretty cute.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 29th, 2010 @ 05:03 PM Reply

At 6/29/10 03:54 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: And I watched some shitty Japanese movie called Azumi. Everything about that movie was bad, other than the girl who played the main character being pretty cute.

I remember watching that movie a long time ago. My memory is a bit foggy, but I don't think I would call it 'shitty'. It's not that good either though, just ... mediocre. The main character is indeed kinda cute, but that's not enough reason to go see this movie.


[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 12 July 2014)

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Member since: Jan. 31, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 29th, 2010 @ 06:10 PM Reply

Decky's Hurt Locker Review

I watched The Hurt Locker the other day in college, been watching alot of films recently, mainly because it was the end of my media course so the tutors are treating us by just letting us watch films. Makes me sad that its over now.

Anyway, the film. For those of you that don't know of The Hurt Locker (not many of you I'm guessing) the basic plot is its about an American bomb disposal team, the film follows them as they defuse various bombs left by terrorists. It has brilliant acting by Jeremy Renner, Anthony Mackie, Brian Geraghty and directed by Kathryn Bigelow. The film was shot in Jordan within miles of the Iraqi border, because Bigelow wanted to bring greater authenticity to the film.

The film won including six Academy Awards: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Film Editing. Bigelow was also the first woman to win an Oscar for best director.

To sum up The Hurt Lockers is one of the best films I have seen this year. Its a must see for any fan of modern war films. Any problem I could point out would just be nit picking, its almost perfect. 9/10.

Cinema Club


I said no to drugs but they just wouldn't listen.
Like Page///Art Thread///Latest Art Piece

BBS Signature
Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 29th, 2010 @ 07:10 PM Reply

At 6/28/10 03:49 PM, Auz wrote: It was good in my opinion, but nothing too amazing. I thought there were a lot of loose ends in the story, that were probably worked out much better in the book.

I'd definitely read the book if you have a chance, it's fantastic. That's one of those movies that I know I'll never see because I know it's impossible for it to completely live up to the book.

Also, I saw Toy Story 3, I don't really need to say much, because I think everyone's already aware that it's an early contender for animated film of the decade. I saw it in 3D and it kind of got me thinking about the future of 3D in films. I'm not entirely convinced that it's more than a fad that's passing through again. It really doesn't seem to be altering the storytelling or film making process in any significant way. It's neat that there's a real sense of depth that can be achieved now, but the illusion falls flat because once you're over that fact and you stop paying attention to the fact that it's 3D you're just back to watching a plain old movie. What does everyone else think?


Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 29th, 2010 @ 09:21 PM Reply

At 6/29/10 05:03 PM, Auz wrote: I remember watching that movie a long time ago. My memory is a bit foggy, but I don't think I would call it 'shitty'. It's not that good either though, just ... mediocre. The main character is indeed kinda cute, but that's not enough reason to go see this movie.

uninteresting plot and characters, badly written dialogue, bad acting, badly choreographed action, bad visual effects, baaaaad costume design, and the antagonist is such a fruitcake. I regard it as shit, but there's shitter shit out there.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 29th, 2010 @ 10:18 PM Reply

I got The White Ribbon on Blu-ray. I know it's a new film, but I'm honestly counting it as an all-time favourite. Watching it again and again probably won't deter that.

At 6/29/10 07:10 PM, Jercurpac wrote: Also, I saw Toy Story 3, I don't really need to say much, because I think everyone's already aware that it's an early contender for animated film of the decade. I saw it in 3D and it kind of got me thinking about the future of 3D in films. I'm not entirely convinced that it's more than a fad that's passing through again. It really doesn't seem to be altering the storytelling or film making process in any significant way. It's neat that there's a real sense of depth that can be achieved now, but the illusion falls flat because once you're over that fact and you stop paying attention to the fact that it's 3D you're just back to watching a plain old movie. What does everyone else think?

I didn't see it in 3D, but I did see Up and Avatar and the 3D technology did subtly add to their atmospheres. The decade is too new for Toy Story 3 to be counted, but I think it deserves an Oscar nomination and probably will get it. This is my review of the film.


BBS Signature
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Member since: Apr. 14, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 08:13 AM Reply

University is not the place for your DVD collection. About a dozen of mine have been lost/stolen meaning I'm gonna have to re-buy them >:(


|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Member since: May. 12, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 10:03 AM Reply

At 6/30/10 08:13 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: University is not the place for your DVD collection. About a dozen of mine have been lost/stolen meaning I'm gonna have to re-buy them >:(

How many do you have? You used to have more than me, and I've got 424. What possessed you to take them with you? I just took like, 20. Only in halls for 30 weeks (theoretically, my course ended in week 25/26ish) anyway, just going to have to ship them all out again afterwards.


PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 30th, 2010 @ 03:49 PM Reply

I just watched Sherlock Holmes (with Robert Downey Jr.).

There was a problem with the DVD I had. I could only watch it in black and white for some reason. Because of that I had trouble following the action sequences sometimes.

Anyway, the movie itself is enjoyable in my opinion. The acting was well done, great performance by Robert Downey Jr. again who is starting to become one of my favorite actors. Together with Jude Law he made a good actors duo. The plot was good too, with a few nice jokes here and there.

So all in all, good movie and worth watching.

At 6/29/10 09:21 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 6/29/10 05:03 PM, Auz wrote: I remember watching that movie a long time ago. My memory is a bit foggy, but I don't think I would call it 'shitty'. It's not that good either though, just ... mediocre. The main character is indeed kinda cute, but that's not enough reason to go see this movie.
uninteresting plot and characters, badly written dialogue, bad acting, badly choreographed action, bad visual effects, baaaaad costume design, and the antagonist is such a fruitcake. I regard it as shit, but there's shitter shit out there.

I can't remember that many details about those things, but I do remember the antagonist was an oddball (in a negative way).


[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 12 July 2014)

BBS Signature
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Member since: Apr. 14, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 1st, 2010 @ 12:36 PM Reply

At 6/30/10 10:03 AM, TheMaster wrote:
At 6/30/10 08:13 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: University is not the place for your DVD collection. About a dozen of mine have been lost/stolen meaning I'm gonna have to re-buy them >:(
How many do you have? You used to have more than me, and I've got 424. What possessed you to take them with you? I just took like, 20. Only in halls for 30 weeks (theoretically, my course ended in week 25/26ish) anyway, just going to have to ship them all out again afterwards.

Only got about three hundred now, had to sell a few when I ran out of money for Christmas presents >:( Had to take them all though, my room got turned into a guest room upon my departure. Plus you know how university is, when the money dried up DVD's become your best friend.


|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Member since: May. 12, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 1st, 2010 @ 02:10 PM Reply

At 7/1/10 12:36 PM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Only got about three hundred now, had to sell a few when I ran out of money for Christmas presents >:( Had to take them all though, my room got turned into a guest room upon my departure.

Oh man, I couldn't manage that. Selling my DVDs would be like selling my limbs.

Plus you know how university is, when the money dried up DVD's become your best friend.

I took advantage of the awesome internet connection I had and downloaded shit loads of games off Steam.

GTA Vice City was a god send.


PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Member since: Feb. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 1st, 2010 @ 02:26 PM Reply

I just watched Toy Story 2.

Very good animation movie I must say and rightfully ranked among the best sequels ever made.

I'm now quite interested in seeing Toy Story 3, but unfortunately they only show it in 3D here and I don't really feel like paying triple for that (as I heard the 3D added almost nothing).

At 7/1/10 02:10 PM, TheMaster wrote:
Plus you know how university is, when the money dried up DVD's become your best friend.
I took advantage of the awesome internet connection I had and downloaded shit loads of games off Steam.

GTA Vice City was a god send.

Awesome game indeed. Great 80's atmosphere and fantastic music.


[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 12 July 2014)

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 1st, 2010 @ 06:30 PM Reply

At 7/1/10 02:26 PM, Auz wrote: I'm now quite interested in seeing Toy Story 3, but unfortunately they only show it in 3D here and I don't really feel like paying triple for that (as I heard the 3D added almost nothing).

Where do you live that it costs triple? I live in Toronto and it costs an extra $3, like seeing a film in IMAX.


BBS Signature