00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Petaly just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cardboard City, a Collab

39,098 Views | 513 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-05-29 19:35:39

Yeah nick, although large member based collabs may bring in more trophies, winning them that way isn't nearly as satisfying as winning them through a well earned hard effort.

I agree with both of you. But mostly kyle because although you're right nick, kyle's argument holds emotional value, where as participating in collabs for the sake of trophies does not.

On another hand entirely, it is really pleasing to win an award on a collab that you've been a big factor of, which is why its always important to put 100 percent into a collab if you want to be really happy with it in the end. So I wouldnt say its cheating if you work just as hard on your collab parts as you would on a solo submission. After all, by participating in a successful collaboration, you are just as much a factor in its success as the next guy, and thats part of what makes collaboration so great. Its everyones work, collectively.

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-05-29 20:02:38

At 5/29/08 07:35 PM, MorrowDays wrote: On another hand entirely, it is really pleasing to win an award on a collab that you've been a big factor of, which is why its always important to put 100 percent into a collab if you want to be really happy with it in the end. So I wouldnt say its cheating if you work just as hard on your collab parts as you would on a solo submission. After all, by participating in a successful collaboration, you are just as much a factor in its success as the next guy, and thats part of what makes collaboration so great. Its everyones work, collectively.

yeah, a lot of collabs are falling apart recently (not this one, thanks goodness) because people are too worked up about wanting co authorship. They will usually by mean to other collab participants and insult their parts to make themselves look better in comparison. That's why solo projects are awesome because there are no annoying people to contend with and you have a 100% of getting co authored ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-05-29 20:23:58

well yeah but submission count and trophy count aren't really what people should be into newgrounds for, idealistically, animators come here to share what they know, and have things shared with them. Its a place for collaboration, which should NOT involve a constant sense of 'yes, Im going to get co'd!'.

I come to discuss things with my peers and collaborate with people I haven't known prior to the collaboration. The beauty of a community like newgrounds is that you can be from anywhere, and basically have any skill set, (flash, audio, reviewing, foruming, modding, creative writing on userposts, etc.) and still come and show others what you can do and learn how to do it better.

stat talk also just generally brings me down because the ground its based upon is completely unreal. Your skills are not defined by how many NG awards you have (as awesome a system as they are, no disrespect to Tom and the gang!), but by the quality of animation you put out into the world. A lot of people with huge animation and flash vocabularies have won few or no awards at all, and they shouldnt be judged by that.

so to sum up, do whatever you enjoy doing because you enjoy doing it or because you want to grow. Not because you think it will win you a daily feature.

love you all <3

Moro

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-05-30 13:14:51

is it too late for open spots, I am a little interested in this.

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-05-30 14:18:23

At 5/30/08 01:14 PM, DrClay wrote: is it too late for open spots, I am a little interested in this.

yeah, there's still time.

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-05-30 18:57:47

how does something like this look

Cardboard City, a Collab

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-05-30 19:02:10

At 5/30/08 06:57 PM, DrClay wrote: how does something like this look

try to keep it all cardboard and no lines if you can help it.

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-05-30 19:05:52

At 5/30/08 07:02 PM, Nicholas-Deary wrote:
At 5/30/08 06:57 PM, DrClay wrote: how does something like this look
try to keep it all cardboard and no lines if you can help it.

Oh ok, I figured I could give it a look like someone drew something on it, but I'll get rid of them for ya
you mean something like this?

Cardboard City, a Collab

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-05-30 19:06:30

At 5/30/08 07:05 PM, DrClay wrote: Oh ok, I figured I could give it a look like someone drew something on it, but I'll get rid of them for ya
you mean something like this?

now we're talking! Keep it up man =D

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-05-30 20:04:39

Yeah that looks awesome! To define some of the sections try going over spots where you would normally see lines with the thinnest eraser tool, thats what I often do. But if you have other ideas, use them instead!

So what do you guys think about the Tank Winners? :O

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-05-30 20:28:45

At 5/30/08 08:04 PM, MorrowDays wrote: So what do you guys think about the Tank Winners? :O

I had a feeling Waterlollies would win

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-05-30 20:41:02

At 5/30/08 08:04 PM, MorrowDays wrote: So what do you guys think about the Tank Winners? :O

didn't we just have this conversation on MSN? ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-05-31 09:34:50

At 5/30/08 08:41 PM, Nicholas-Deary wrote:
didn't we just have this conversation on MSN? ;)

haha, no I posted this first, when you brought it up I was like, hmm, I bet nick didn't read the thread!

so yeah, we still have lots of room for parts everyone. the song is more than five minutes and right now we have just over 100 seconds of content which is almost two minutes, so theres still more than enough room!

but we also dont have to fill up all five minutes of it, I expect we'll go to three or four and then wrap it up if there aren't enough parts still coming in. at that point its like squeezing a dry sponge for water, which is kinda pointless.

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-05-31 11:39:41

here is what I got so far
link

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-05-31 12:41:30

At 5/31/08 11:39 AM, DrClay wrote: here is what I got so far
link

nice, I like the transition techniques. Also, you need to link it to the php not the .swf like this:

http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/310508/4 1943_box_thing_2.php

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-05-31 12:58:15

At 5/31/08 12:41 PM, Nicholas-Deary wrote:
nice, I like the transition techniques. Also, you need to link it to the php not the .swf like this:

Theirs a glitch in the end where these yellow things appear. I am going to try and fix them later but if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-05-31 16:15:55

Sorry i haven't posted here in a while. (Again)
The preveiw looks absolutely awesomeomeomeomeome,ome. I think that now people see that this is going to end up in a sick flash, and reassured that this won't turn into vapour ware, they're more open to want to join! Also if you're wanting another part to fill up some time, i'll do a third part, if you want. only if your wanting to, if you want.

:If you want.

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-05-31 19:18:38

lollz, vapourware. funny. but yeah that wont happen.... :_:

yeah, do another part, that'd be great! I like your style. so yeah if you have time, go for it!

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-05-31 20:52:37

I added some more to mine

update

If your wondering what the shadow is its going to be a rain cloud. Carboard and rain dont mix. So I will have the mayor push the "Emergancy" button and make a giant carboard fan blow it away or something that will get rid of it, then people will be happy. That seem like a good idea or you want me to stick with just showing the peaceful city?

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-05-31 22:08:52

haha awesome, do that rain idea, really clever!

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-06-01 09:54:20

At 5/31/08 08:52 PM, DrClay wrote: I added some more to mine

update

really nice man, awesome use of masks at the end as well.

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-06-04 15:18:11

I'm sorry I am going kinda slow guys, I kinda ran into school stuff. (I need to cram) and stuff. Though I am on the part where the mayor is about to push the button on mine. I hope you aint mad.

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-06-04 21:28:37

haha no worries! we'd rather have a good part in a while than a rush part in a week!

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-06-05 12:34:25

I always have time lately, seeing i have no exams.
a bird?

Now I'm going to go have a life.

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-06-05 15:27:52

At 6/5/08 12:34 PM, biskits wrote: a bird?

Yours is awesome!

teach me oh master of carboard

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-06-05 15:29:01

At 6/5/08 12:34 PM, biskits wrote: I always have time lately, seeing i have no exams.
a bird?

lovely!

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-06-05 17:32:03

biskits thats like the raddest thing ever! woah. yeah. super good.

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-06-06 15:07:11

At 6/5/08 12:34 PM, biskits wrote: I always have time lately, seeing i have no exams.
a bird?

Now I'm going to go have a life.

Looks awesome! Great drawings!
My only suggestion, is instead of dragging those pieces of cardboard away to uncover the cut line, use a mask that fills that colors in in the same fashion.
That way you don't see any carboard pieces randomly appearing and moving

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-06-06 17:37:11

I tried, would you just happen to know how to do it?

i dont know how :s

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-06-06 18:04:45

At 6/6/08 05:37 PM, biskits wrote: I tried, would you just happen to know how to do it?

i dont know how :s

You can make a movie clip.
Draw out the dotted line, just like you already have.
Then create an animation of the wanted color running along the dotted lines, until you have them all covered up.
When you turn the layers to mask each other, it should look like that brown color is running along, creating the dotted line.
Put a stop (); on the last frame so that the animation stays at the fully colored in part.

It should work. If you need a better explaination, I'd be more than happy to do like a step by step rundown of it.

GAH!

BBS Signature