00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cardboard City, a Collab

38,850 Views | 513 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-12 14:14:59

At 3/12/08 02:13 PM, idiot-monarch wrote: Hey. Started working on it just now (I always think I have a lot more free time than I actually do). But there's no hurry, right?

I have a question. I have this really cheesy, but somehow appealing idea to base my part around a guy who almost commits suicide, but doesn't go through with it. So, is that OK as long as I avoid violence and keep it peaceful?

that sounds really awesome actually. kudos for the idea. can't wait to see how it turns out.

thanks for the compliment!

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-12 14:24:41

At 3/12/08 02:14 PM, HandsomeJake wrote:
At 3/12/08 02:13 PM, idiot-monarch wrote:
I have this really cheesy, but somehow appealing idea to base my part around a guy who almost commits suicide, but doesn't go through with it. So, is that OK as long as I avoid violence and keep it peaceful?

that sounds really awesome actually. kudos for the idea. can't wait to see how it turns out.

Really? Like I said, it seems kinda cheesy to me, haha. Thanks. Means a lot.

thanks for the compliment!

No problem. :)

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-12 14:53:37

Uh, it's not easy to find different looking cardboard. I'm running around in my flat and only find cardboard thats looking like every other cardboard looks >__<

I wanna use my own images

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-12 15:13:49

At 3/12/08 02:53 PM, Ziwon wrote: Uh, it's not easy to find different looking cardboard. I'm running around in my flat and only find cardboard thats looking like every other cardboard looks >__<
I wanna use my own images

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. You would have thought that there would be more cardboard textures on the web. I've resorted to getting pictures which feature cardboard items in them and then dissecting the cardboard texture from that.

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-12 16:40:13

cool idea idiot-monarch, sounds fine to me, just yeah, keep it peaceful :)

thats fine jake, works for me.

What I find works is that to get a wider variety of colors, I just save each object on screen as a movieclip, and from there I can change the brightness/darkness of it, or even the tint, with the little "color" dropdown menu, I think it is. That way you're still using the same texture, but it looks different because the color has changed. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-12 17:00:31

Sorry, but I've been working pretty hard on this collab so I wanna keep it bumped and relevant. Here's another little background done.

I can't wait to see everybody elses work!

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-12 17:04:28

At 3/12/08 05:00 PM, HandsomeJake wrote: Sorry, but I've been working pretty hard on this collab so I wanna keep it bumped and relevant. Here's another little background done.

oh lovely!

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-12 18:50:20

I have a question. I have this really cheesy, but somehow appealing idea to base my part around a guy who almost commits suicide, but doesn't go through with it. So, is that OK as long as I avoid violence and keep it peaceful?

now that I think about it, that would actually be really good for the collab, because if you could make it into a few (like, three or something) parts, we could place them STRATEGICALLY throughout the course of the collab, so it be sort of an underlying plot piece, or at least a guiding line of story so we dont get all sorts of reviews about people not getting it. :)
But if you dont want the added pressure of that, thats not a problem either :)

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 05:00:26

Mine so far

http://www.ngup.net/view?file=Cardboard%
20city.swf

So, what do you think?

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 06:24:46

At 3/12/08 09:16 AM, MorrowDays wrote: ya!

Awesome. I'll start working on my part.

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 06:51:01

count me in :D

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 09:14:27

At 3/13/08 05:00 AM, ShinsukeIto wrote: Mine so far

20city.swf

So, what do you think?

why is everything so fast is my question. I doesn't look bad, but it's mostly pointless I guess. I just don't understand what it's portraying.

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 10:07:03

At 3/13/08 05:00 AM, ShinsukeIto wrote: Mine so far

20city.swf

So, what do you think?

I like this one a lot, it's very different to the others, which is good because it's nice to have a wide variety of styles. One thing though, could take out the background? Because me and Morrow are going to add special sky textures afterwards.

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 10:38:17

not bad Shinsukelto, I sort of agree with jake... and with nick.. I really like how it sort of grows into itself at the beginning, that was really well done, but I thought the fireworks were a little distracting, and not really necessary. we might be able to make use of them in the credits though.. but we'll see about that once credits need to be done :P
I also like the puppet theatre sort of feel with the hanging building, but like jake said, I dont exactly understand what its portraying. animation wise though, its excellent so far.

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 10:55:28

At 3/12/08 06:50 PM, MorrowDays wrote: now that I think about it, that would actually be really good for the collab, because if you could make it into a few (like, three or something) parts, we could place them STRATEGICALLY throughout the course of the collab, so it be sort of an underlying plot piece, or at least a guiding line of story so we dont get all sorts of reviews about people not getting it. :)
But if you dont want the added pressure of that, thats not a problem either :)

Eh, I don't know how the idea I have know could be applied to that. I mean, it's very short and I pretty much have it all planed out. And honestly, looking at your parts, mine isn't exactly the best one around here ;) I don't want this potentially brilliant collab to be based around a mediocre short.

Oh, and also, what you said about the added pressure.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 11:23:25

I've begun working on my part. So far it looks like that. Don't worry, I'll work on details soon.

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 11:29:19

At 3/13/08 11:23 AM, Ziwon wrote: I've begun working on my part. So far it looks like that. Don't worry, I'll work on details soon.

that train looks great. I'm so pumped to see all these parts coming to life!

For page 4, we should start it out with an update who's on board, who's previewed a part and who hasn't, stuff like that.

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 11:43:42

thats fine monarch, no problem.

ziwon, that train is the most kickass train I've ever seen. awesome part so far!

jake, sounds good! for page four, my first post will involve an organized list of all sorts of stuff!

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 13:22:23

At 3/13/08 11:23 AM, Ziwon wrote: I've begun working on my part. So far it looks like that. Don't worry, I'll work on details soon.

OMG! That part is awesome! It reminds me of act 4 of Gears or War for some reason, which is a good thing! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 13:31:42

I saw this collab before (when it was posted) but really didn't read into it at that moment.
I read into moments ago and realized it was an amazing idea!
I'll join, I say about a week and I will have it ready.
(ill keep updates posted, of course)

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 13:43:07

glancing through your page emokiller, I noticed your two awards are both TOTWs, and you're part of the kitty krew, and most of your stuff is collaborative, which makes it hard to gage your animation skill level. from the piece I did watch that was a solo of yours, the gay bush parade one, it seemed as though you're pretty much just a spammer. however, if you can make something quality for this collab, you're totally welcome to participate, but keep in mind, we dont want spam :)
Im glad you're interested!

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 13:56:28

At 3/13/08 01:43 PM, MorrowDays wrote: glancing through your page emokiller, I noticed your two awards are both TOTWs, and you're part of the kitty krew, and most of your stuff is collaborative, which makes it hard to gage your animation skill level. from the piece I did watch that was a solo of yours, the gay bush parade one, it seemed as though you're pretty much just a spammer. however, if you can make something quality for this collab, you're totally welcome to participate, but keep in mind, we dont want spam :)
Im glad you're interested!

You think of me a spammer?
Did you actually take the time to look at the many movies of mine that have a scored above a 3.0? I do, make many videos just to "stay active", but some videos I have actually put allot of work into. I'm glad I can join, i'll post a preview shortly.

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 15:02:40

Thanks guys, but it's not that difficult to animate a train like this one ;)
I've said I want to add more details, but now I think it looks to overload with more details. I was going to add signs, a ticket automat and a screen whats showing when the next train will come (i hope you know what I mean, my english sucks ^^). But It doesn't look good with all these things. So what are you thinking about it, should I let it be like in this screen (with some peoples standing around)? Less is more?

Cardboard City, a Collab

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 16:14:29

Where exactly can I upload my .fla when I am completely done?
The sites I used to use are all down.

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 16:28:19

emokiller, try spam the web or savefile.com, they're good.

ziwon, I LOVE the advertisement, and your english is very impressive, but I dont like the clock above the train, and... it needs a vending machine on the wall by the drink cola thing. DEFINITELY needs a vending machine. :)
Also, if you're going to add people, which I think you should, then you should take out the benches. It'll look really cool with people.

yes, less is more, but little bits of detail are always nice too :)

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 18:15:33

At 3/13/08 03:02 PM, Ziwon wrote: Less is more?

Perhaps if you remove the text and replace it with something that draws a little less attention, it'd be great. I love the cutesy things on the posters. Just take away the fucking product placement. Coca-cola has no place in art.

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 18:24:53

At 3/13/08 06:15 PM, HandsomeJake wrote: Just take away the fucking product placement. Coca-cola has no place in art.

I agree that product placement is bad.
But it does just say Cola. Not Coca-cola.

But, since most people will take it that way, maybe make up a drink with some kinda of cardboard related name.
How about: Corrugated-Cola?

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 18:33:04

At 3/13/08 01:56 PM, TheEmoKiller wrote: You think of me a spammer?
Did you actually take the time to look at the many movies of mine that have a scored above a 3.0? I do, make many videos just to "stay active", but some videos I have actually put allot of work into. I'm glad I can join, i'll post a preview shortly.

I don't want to sound too rude but you have all the signs of being a spammer, now that might not be a problem if you can channel all of that into an awesome piece. :D Also, you have four 3+ submissions, 2 of which are Clock Day flashes.

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 18:41:26

At 3/13/08 06:24 PM, Goat-Man wrote: How about: Corrugated-Cola?

Yeah, let us create a running gag: Everywhere in Cardboard City are advertisements for Corrigated-Cola :D

or for bananas ^^

BBS Signature

Response to Cardboard City, a Collab 2008-03-13 19:08:30

At 3/13/08 06:33 PM, Nicholas-Deary wrote: I R teh reserch U emokillar man!

looks like someones done some in-depth background checking ^_^ I agree, if you can channel it into something really good, your videos to "stay active" dont hold anything against you.

OKAY TIME FOR LISTS YAY.

These are people who have posted previews already!

1, Handsome Jake
2, Me, morrowdays.
3, Ziwon
4, MarcyVF
5, Nicholas Deary, and
6, Shinsukelto

These are people who have expressed interest in joining!

1, Handsome Jake
2, Ziwon
3, Shinukelto
4, G-Force
5, Willobeen
6, unEpic (although its his only post, so I dunno if he's serious)
7, TommyVF
8, Volit0, except he PMd me to say he quit because of school stuff, so he doesnt really count, at all :P
9, Bobby444
10, G-F-D
11, Idiot-Monarch
12, Goat-Man
13, Gatling, I think.
14, Chillidog
15, Rudy
16, Skysausage, I also think.
17, MarcyVF
18, Nightmare, also known as Lochie
19, Dark Scythes
20, Eggatron (I love his name, its so awesome:P )
21, GrayJovial (also has a cool name)
22, Globdecitus, and
23, TheEmoKiller (could either be a very depressed murderer, or someone who kills depressed people)

Wow. 23 people, thats crazy. I guess its really 22 because volit0 left, but still, pretty sweet. I feel like shouting hi everyone in a big church so it echoes all over the place, but this is the internet and Im not even talking at all right now. One more list? KAYS!

These are all the people with Ms in there name!

1, Morrowdays
2, Micholas Meary

Thats should sum everything up for you guys then. Oh wait!

These are parts I've seen that are currently in progress!

1, My intro/menu thing
2, Jake's awesome pittsburgh skyline thing
3, Jake's kitchen sink awesome-o-saurus thing
4, Ziwon's raditerridactular underground piece
5, My rooftop part that I havent shown anyone yet because it isnt crazy enough yet
6, Nick's part with the car, that was pretty sweet.
7, Shinsukelto's fastpaced part which he needs to remove the fireworks from and portray something with
and (I think) lastly 8, Marcy's incredibly detailed storyboard/overview sort of thing. ;)

I like the corrugated cola thing. thats like, two good ideas mixed into one! Goatman came up with the slogan/name, and ziwon said to put it all over the place! Thats something that would seem best consistent throughout the collab, so nick or me, whoever ends up doing it, will add those in when we add the sky, if thats okay with people. is it? Ziwon you can put it in yours because you already have it in, but for other's parts, we'll just sneak it in somewhere, occasionally.

This is the end of a big post, so I should probably sign it with my superdinosaurtastical four letter signage.

moro

BBS Signature