00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dumbuhgly just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club

127,045 Views | 1,160 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-17 23:53:07

wow guys the last thing i was clued into was the civil war...and i think i saw world war hulks first issue
but from skimmin this page it seems there soooo much more oging on

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-18 00:08:48

At 5/17/08 11:53 PM, HellboundNinja wrote: wow guys the last thing i was clued into was the civil war...and i think i saw world war hulks first issue
but from skimmin this page it seems there soooo much more oging on

Oh, there's always more goin on...always so much more :)

People forget comics are bigger then just two or three publishers, or one or two storyarcs, it's like prose publishing is bigger then just one or two authors, there's great stuff all over, you just gotta look for it.

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-18 08:03:52

I finally read Miracleman over the last week. Great stuff, just great. I really don't know what else to say about Moore's work with that title.

As for Gaiman, well, I could enjoy it, but it really felt like I was reading Sandman. And that's not what I wanted from the series after the masterpiece of revelations and action that Moore had woven. That's the trouble with happy endings, if you keep telling the story, it just gets boring.

One thing to note: Young Nastyman is mentioned. Therefore it may be assumed there is an older Nastyman. Were I the author, after 5 or 6 issues concerning utopia, I would have to bring him in to obliterate it and restore the conflict that defines human existence. The whole Miracleman fixing the world just seemed to go against everything concerning free will that western culture has been drilling into me for life. In "fixing" the world, they had removed humanity's free will.

Punisher related again: I don't care how good Frank is. I'll admit he's a brilliant strategist and plays the situation out to his advantage as often as possible, but by rights he should be dead. He doesn't wear anything to protect his brain, and he's been shot at how many times? How many times has he suffered flesh wounds to legs and arms? Yet he still lives, by rights, anyone fighting for that long out in the open should have been at the bad end of a few headshots by now. The guy has a guardian angel for sure. Not to mention how (can't remember her name offhand) stopped him from being taken out in Up is Down and Black is White (awesome story by the way), the sheer luck of that timing is undeniable, and thats just one example of luck in that regard.

I'm not putting his skills down at all, just humanising them. He's still one of my favourite characters.

Oh. Your. God.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-18 19:48:49

At 5/18/08 08:03 AM, Mr-Silv3r wrote: One thing to note: Young Nastyman is mentioned. Therefore it may be assumed there is an older Nastyman. Were I the author, after 5 or 6 issues concerning utopia, I would have to bring him in to obliterate it and restore the conflict that defines human existence. The whole Miracleman fixing the world just seemed to go against everything concerning free will that western culture has been drilling into me for life. In "fixing" the world, they had removed humanity's free will.

That was, and is, Gaiman's plan. He was going to reveal that Young Miracleman was still alive, and then ultimately Kid Miracleman was going to return and tear utopia apart and things would go from there. It's difficult to judge what Gaiman did on the book, and probably also totally unfair since he still had two arcs planned for his run before it got killed by the collapse of Eclipse, and the insanity that ensued over who actually owned Miracleman.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-18 20:46:12

At 5/18/08 08:03 AM, Mr-Silv3r wrote: I

Punisher related again: I don't care how good Frank is. I'll admit he's a brilliant strategist and plays the situation out to his advantage as often as possible, but by rights he should be dead. He doesn't wear anything to protect his brain, and he's been shot at how many times? How many times has he suffered flesh wounds to legs and arms?

Same goes for anyone in the action business. He's been shot, stabbed, burned, beaten beyond recognition and just about every other bad thing that can happen but none of these are outside the realm of survivability. There are countless combat vetrans who've been shot at litterally thousands of times and come home alive. While Frank might have an uncanny tolerance to pain and damage such things are not unheard of. Determination is known to push people further than they should be able to go.

Yet he still lives, by rights, anyone fighting for that long out in the open should have been at the bad end of a few headshots by now. The guy has a guardian angel for sure. Not to mention how (can't remember her name offhand) stopped him from being taken out in Up is Down and Black is White (awesome story by the way), the sheer luck of that timing is undeniable, and thats just one example of luck in that regard.

Her name was Catherine O'Brian, who went on to mother his child. Long cold dark, read it. Anyway, considering that she was tracking the guy who was aiming the gun at Frank, and that the time of the attack would be the only sure time he'd stand still, odds are pretty good she'd be in the area. She was C.I.A afterall.

I'm not putting his skills down at all, just humanising them. He's still one of my favourite characters.

While we're praising Avie for our addictions I just want to say that before talking to him it had been years since I read a non-Punisher book.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-18 21:27:52

Yeah long cold dark was a good read as well, Barracuda was an interesting character, but I'm looking forward to the showdown between Frank and those defense head-honcho's most of all.

Oh. Your. God.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-19 03:45:55

So I've been reading Yotsuba&! lately.

It's very cute, and definitely quite funny, with some likable characters.

It's vaguely like Calvin and Hobbes with its attempts to recreate a sense of childlike wonder at the world, but it pursues it from an angle in which the child is actually entirely childlike (loud, energetic, unknowing of a lot about life etc.), instead of oddly intelligent. It's also less intelligent itself than Calvin and Hobbes, but it's still funny.

Although, sometimes it seems like it is is trying a little too hard to make the main character as adorable as possible.

The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club

Kuro - Puting the 'Kur' back in 'inkurable disease.'

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-20 16:44:34

At 5/19/08 03:45 AM, Kuro wrote: Although, sometimes it seems like it is is trying a little too hard to make the main character as adorable as possible.

Marketing baby :)

The cuter the more it can appeal to a general audience.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-22 19:14:01

At 5/22/08 06:26 PM, SevenSeize wrote: Nothing makes you say "awwwwwwwwwwww" like a molotov cocktail bursting through a window and igniting an entire building.....

Careful, or you'll give stafff inappropriate feelings in his pants :)

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-23 15:12:14

At 5/22/08 07:15 PM, SevenSeize wrote: I am walking away from this one.

And everybody else seemed to walk away from the thread apparently.

The new Thor by JMS is pretty damn good, I like how he took the opportunity to basically start the character from ground zero again and created an interesting new status quo for him.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-23 19:18:14

At 5/23/08 03:12 PM, aviewaskewed wrote:
At 5/22/08 07:15 PM, SevenSeize wrote: I am walking away from this one.
And everybody else seemed to walk away from the thread apparently.

ok. I'll walk over here and say something provokative.
Your mother. This implies that whatever we were discussing can in some way be drawn into context involving your mother.
Has anyone here done the latest

comics 101 quiz? I never try to send in answers because I figure someonewho read it like 15 minutes after it was posted already won but it is fun to plumb your knowledge. The most fun comes from picking out obscure things about characters you didn't think you knew that well.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-23 20:05:53

Most of those I do not know. I was never a big Iron Man fan personally. He's one of those characters that there's a lot of good stuff that can be done there, but if he's done badly or subpar, it's glaring as hell.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-23 20:36:10

At 5/23/08 08:18 PM, SevenSeize wrote: Batman is so much more awesome....

The kids like the Spider-Man, but when they grow up...they realize how fucked up that character is now, and they move on to like Batman and what not...or they abandon comics completely...that's when you know you failed as a parent, if they abandon comics completely.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-23 21:03:01

At 5/23/08 08:56 PM, SevenSeize wrote: He's really pumped about the Dark Knight, which keeps me fairly pacified.

As we all should be. That one, and Hellboy 2.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-23 21:19:46

The Hellboy movie did a really good job on the characters so I would call that accurate forgiving the stuff they had to change for the sake of the film. (giving his father a longer part, a love interest, etc) so if you watched the film you will have a good idea who these people are. Plus Ron Perlman was just born for the role.
In the question about different people who had worn Iron Man armor two of my answers were Mary Jane and Aunt May. Almost enough to make erasing the marriage a good thing. Almost.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-24 00:52:49

I would really like to see more flashback Hellboy stories in the comic to flesh out the "official" Prof. Broome more. I think that's something Mignola even said was great with the movie and a regret he has with the book, if Broome raised Hellboy, we probably should have more insight into who Broome was, instead of him basically being the first victim of the Rasputin plot in Seed of Destruction.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-24 12:26:55

I saw the quick death of the professor in the book as a nod to those cheap cop flicks where the guys have been partners for years but then one of them gets shot ten minutes after we meet them. Wether he was going for that or not I don't know but it does sound like something he'd do.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-24 21:27:23

At 5/24/08 12:26 PM, stafffighter wrote: I saw the quick death of the professor in the book as a nod to those cheap cop flicks where the guys have been partners for years but then one of them gets shot ten minutes after we meet them. Wether he was going for that or not I don't know but it does sound like something he'd do.

I know John Byrne wrote the first one, with Mignola doing plot, I can't remember if Mignola has ever said if that bit was his idea or Byrne's, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that he wasn't sure he was behind it in retrospect.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-26 07:45:12

Started trying to finish my script for my Norse comic yet again. Got one more issue done, but I can't force myself to write the next, because it's going to be so dialogue heavy. Plus I've lost my story layout and can't exactly remember what I've got planned. So writers block is screwing me.

Anyway, Indiana Jones was pretty enjoyable ey?

Oh. Your. God.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-27 19:02:16

At 5/26/08 07:45 AM, Mr-Silv3r wrote: Anyway, Indiana Jones was pretty enjoyable ey?

Yeah, I thought it was good stuff personally.

Far as the writer's block, good luck with that man, don't let sticking to the original plan bog you down though, if you have to even, go back to the source materials and see if there's anything there that can help you blow past it.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-27 22:59:10

At 5/27/08 07:02 PM, aviewaskewed wrote:
At 5/26/08 07:45 AM, Mr-Silv3r wrote: Anyway, Indiana Jones was pretty enjoyable ey?
Yeah, I thought it was good stuff personally.

Far as the writer's block, good luck with that man, don't let sticking to the original plan bog you down though, if you have to even, go back to the source materials and see if there's anything there that can help you blow past it.

I hear people bitch about the use of CG and Lucas' presence being annoying with the animals, but I didn't mind it at all, sure they didn't show alot of Ford's fight scenes (well, mostly just where he hijacks cars), but I was surprised at how much he did.

As for the writers block, thanks for the support. I've managed to get the general layout for the final two issues down, so thats a good thing, now its just a matter of expanding it, then expanding it some more and refining it all. I'm stuck on a fairly big, but easily changed plot point though. At the minute its set on the Finnish / Russian border, but alot of the dialogue would suit an american setting. So I'm thinking of moving it to the Canadian / Alaskan border instead. I need to use an atomic explosion, and its dealing with Vikings, but its a toss up as to whether I should make the dialogue more area appropriate or just not give a fuck and do whatever.

Oh. Your. God.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-30 02:46:16

Just do what you gotta man. I went and saw Iron Man again tonight, and I thought it held up very well on a second viewing, very fun stuff, good heart, good characters, it's just FUN. That's not a bad thing in a movie, especially a super hero movie, and I think in some ways that's why I haven't been blown away by Spider-Man.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-06-01 04:41:41

congrats on the level up stafff.

I'm regretting my current subscriptions to Cable and Hulk. Loeb is boring me, and Cable is equally elongated in getting nowhere.

Oh. Your. God.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-06-02 21:33:27

At 6/1/08 04:41 AM, Mr-Silv3r wrote: congrats on the level up stafff.

I'm regretting my current subscriptions to Cable and Hulk. Loeb is boring me, and Cable is equally elongated in getting nowhere.

I really think Loeb is overrated. He did a couple of really good Batman stories ten or so years ago, but his work since has felt very much, "same ol, same ol" or just not compelling.

Also wanted to point folks to a new poll we're running over on the Endless BBS (or as we call it affectionately TEC) about which super hero or comic movie you think is going to win the summer. Come and share your thoughts! If you are having sign up problems, do not hesitate to contact me, stafff, seven, or anybody on the board really and we will get you set up. I don't want it to sound like this topic is solely to drive traffic to the forums, it isn't, but I'd certainly like to be able to enjoy your company and posts on both NG and TEC.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-06-06 14:42:34

I almost bought 60 quids worth of comics/ graphic novels today, however my eyes instead fell upon the 4th edition rules for dungeons and dragons...I don't know if I made the right choice = (

The Punisher was calling me but my dice habit needed its fix....

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-06-07 00:26:36

I wound up putting three rather pricey books on my credit card the other day.

Marvel Zombies: Dead Days, Buffy Season 8 arc 2: No Future for You, and Buffy Omnibus vol.4

I only meant to buy the Buffy stuff, but I love me some Marvel Zombies, and for everything your getting in that hardcover package, well, 30 bucks starts to seem real reasonable when you think about what you'd probably need to pay to track it all down seperately

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-06-07 02:46:24

I just spent $200 on comics at Amazon yesterday.

Oh. Your. God.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-06-09 01:43:59

At 6/7/08 02:46 AM, Mr-Silv3r wrote: I just spent $200 on comics at Amazon yesterday.

Welcome to my world bro :)

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-06-10 08:21:02

At 6/9/08 01:43 AM, aviewaskewed wrote:
At 6/7/08 02:46 AM, Mr-Silv3r wrote: I just spent $200 on comics at Amazon yesterday.
Welcome to my world bro :)

Well, I'm definitely looking forward to the Starman Omnibus, and especially finishing off my Y-The Last Man collection. The rest is just getting into Green Lantern (just started a subscription and wanted some trades to back it up) and beefing up my Hellboy stuff with the first 3 collections.

Oh. Your. God.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-06-11 22:06:57

I'm just starting to read the morrison run of justice league. In discussing the plot with avie (it's from 97, no spoiler warning) we both noticed that the plot of having villians act like heroes in order to aleinate the populus from the real heroes has been used a few times recently, including on the justice league.
I want to get to the Conner Hawke material but completest that i am I wanted to start this run with the first book and it was next to impossible to find.

BBS Signature