00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sangpan just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club

127,053 Views | 1,160 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-04-25 06:32:10

Interesting fact:

I share my birthday with Garth Ennis .

Should be getting money soon. Going to pick up some Punisher hopefully....unless I get distracted by something shiny like I did the last few times I went into the comic store.

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-04-25 21:08:26

At 4/25/08 06:32 AM, Tri-Nitro-Toluene wrote: Should be getting money soon. Going to pick up some Punisher hopefully....unless I get distracted by something shiny like I did the last few times I went into the comic store.

LEAVE THEM SHINY COVERS BE!!!! THEY'LL KILL THE INDUSTRY!!!! DO YOU WANT COMICS TO DIE????

Ahem, yeah, by shiny, you better mean from a storytelling perspective. Hey, dunno if I plugged it yet but Peter David's Fallen Angel is a pretty good and interesting book too.

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-04-26 03:39:34

At 4/25/08 09:08 PM, aviewaskewed wrote: LEAVE THEM SHINY COVERS BE!!!! THEY'LL KILL THE INDUSTRY!!!! DO YOU WANT COMICS TO DIE????

Ahem, yeah, by shiny, you better mean from a storytelling perspective. Hey, dunno if I plugged it yet but Peter David's Fallen Angel is a pretty good and interesting book too.

Shiny is anything and everything that I like in comic. It's the art style, the dark humour, the storytelling...though if the cover itself is shiny I will admit I do tend to go and take a look...

Fallen Angel? Shall keep an eye out for it. What's it about?

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-04-26 23:31:54

At 4/26/08 03:39 AM, Tri-Nitro-Toluene wrote: Fallen Angel? Shall keep an eye out for it. What's it about?

It's about a woman with obvious extra human powers, and a mysterious past who helps people for money, or because she simply chooses to, in the city of Bette Noir, which may operate as some sort of focal point in the universe. From what I've read so far (which was the original DC series) it was still pretty mysterious overall, David is slow building this. Not a lot of answers so far there. Maybe with the IDW books I have yet to read.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-04-28 02:01:35

Sounds interesting. I'm gonna head down to my local comic store sometime this week, if I see it I'll pick some up.

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-04-28 21:31:35

At 4/28/08 07:20 PM, SevenSeize wrote: <------ ready for Iron Man

What say you chaps? Will it be awesome or blah?

The previews make it look awesome, and like RDJ is channeling a lot of Ultimate Iron Man here, which is fine by me since I really like that version of Tony and feel that's a really believable and realistic way to portray a billionare super hero with a death sentence over his head. I think it should be very fun

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-04-28 22:27:17

Even though I've never been a super close follower of Iron Man I still worried that his recent portrayal in the books would turn me off from the movie but luckily it hasen't at all. It looks like a well put together film and frankly the casting was perfect. You can really tell when people respect the product they're making.
I don't know if it is or not but you really beleive he's in that suit for all the effect shots. I beleived it was RDJ saying "fuck you" to that tank.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-04-29 03:32:29

Saw the first trailer they released and was like ' eh, could be good, could be bad, will probably see it at some point'. Then I saw one of the other trailers and realised Robert Downey Jr was in it. I am trying to persuade some mates to go down to see it over the weekend.

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-04-30 15:03:01

One thing that I'm not sure if it should discourage early goers or not is there was a scene deleted from preview and premiere screenings that is pretty major. It's the last scene at the very end that apparently they want to be a surprise and hoooo boy it is a doozy!!

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-04-30 17:32:45

At 4/30/08 03:03 PM, aviewaskewed wrote: One thing that I'm not sure if it should discourage early goers or not is there was a scene deleted from preview and premiere screenings that is pretty major. It's the last scene at the very end that apparently they want to be a surprise and hoooo boy it is a doozy!!

Thank you for taking away my regret for not reserving a ticket when I went to see "forgetting sarah marshel" Which is a damn good flick.
Before tha movie they ran a preview for the new Hulk and it looks great. Also, look for Tony Stark to appear in one scene appartnly as a set up for an Avengers film.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-02 20:48:29

My review on Iron Man, read it here, or read it at www.theendlesscrew.com, it'll be the same either way:

http://aviewaskewed.newgrounds.com/news/
post/116444

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-03 01:08:50

At 5/2/08 08:48 PM, aviewaskewed wrote: My review on Iron Man, read it here, or read it at www.theendlesscrew.com, it'll be the same either way:

I can't wait to see it myself.

Thanks nightmareLeecher for the sig.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-04 09:47:28

There are only two complaints I had about that movie and neither are the movies fault. First of all, I was in line behind people who brought two babies. That's wrong.

Secondly

spoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoilerspoil erspoilerspoiler

That shield agent gave the long name for his agency like twice in the movie and still, near the end, when he said "just call us shield" the entire theater gasped. He literally spelled it out for you fucking twice. How are you that dumb yet still in possession of the context that word has in this situation? Were people literally hearing Stratigic Homeland so on and so forth and wondering to themselves "when's shield gonna show up?"

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-04 23:11:02

Hey guys. I kind of joined a while ago, but was never really active here.

Anyways, I thought now would be a good time to kind of re-join with Iron Man coming out and all. I suppose that movie was okay, and I felt it introduced SHIELD to the Film genre fairly well. I'm guessing it's going to have a more prevelant role in the Incredible Hulk movie, maybe as the group trying to capture the Hulk or something, just as build-up to the planned "Nick Fury" movie.

On a side note, I have a good prediction that by some turn of events, someone with powers like Emma Frost's will find the deep subconcious memories Mephisto left in Spider-man's conscience to feed off of and the Spider-man continuity would even be more out of whack (And the secret invasion is a good time for this set-up to happen, too, after all, Prof X. or Frost will want to check to see if all the super-heroes are not double agents with the Skrull).

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-07 02:28:12

Plus, Joker is everyone's favorite Batman villian. But I'm sure there's enterprising folks that stock up for collectability and ebayability. I've seen a few of them at work today and they're really quite nice. Definitely better then standard movie tie-in figures.

I'm not sure SHEILD will be against the Hulk, especially if this movie has him public stomping Abomination, Marvel may use him for the Avengers flick.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-08 06:17:33

I was one of those morons who didn't clue on to SHIELD. Partly because I had forgotten about the whole "larger universe tie-in" to the whole thing (I stayed after the credits, but had forgotten why), and partly because the actual name for the group was different (if I'd heard espionage and infiltration, I probably would have clued on). But mostly because I was sucked into the movie as a whole, and kept expecting anything referencing the "homeland" to be the american government trying to steal Stark's ideas, stupid paranoia.

So, Nick Fury's back in the comics apparently. Almost enough to get me to purchase the secret invasion series.

Oh. Your. God.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-08 19:59:59

At 5/8/08 06:17 AM, Mr-Silv3r wrote: So, Nick Fury's back in the comics apparently. Almost enough to get me to purchase the secret invasion series.

Big time, and probably he'll be the big hero...you know, so he can run SHEILD again, and then somebody will realize Spider-Man's crap has been messed with...ya know, so they can put things back like they were, except maybe it'll turn out that Mary Jane told Mephisto she was a damn dirty skrull.

In short, I expect that this'll be the big retcon that puts things mostly back like they were, probably what Final Crisis will do as well since Didio is swearing up and down Final means Final.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-08 21:59:41

Someone give Fury the Super Soldier Serum already. Him or Frank Castle.

Oh. Your. God.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-11 15:36:57

At 5/8/08 09:59 PM, Mr-Silv3r wrote: Someone give Fury the Super Soldier Serum already. Him or Frank Castle.

Fury has his own deal going on and Castle would never agree to the obligations they'd give him in order to get the serum.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-12 00:07:42

Plus, giving it to Castle would make everybody think it's a US Agent kind of deal again. I've said to Stafff a number of times that Castle should be a fringe guy in the 616, since there's no way he'll ever be able to have a story told with him and another hero without it being "you're a good guy at heart Frank, but I hate your methods". You know, like every team up between he and DD has been like.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-13 00:36:34

Here's another story to be told involving The Punisher in the wider 616 verse:

"Despite the fact I have superpowers and could most likely defeat you easily, you scare the hell out of me, Frank."

It's something that I've seen come up with Deadpool's interactions with the wider community. No-one respects him because he's stupidly crazy, but they all realise how lethal he really is and try to keep their distance. It's something I think could really be played up in a Punisher crossover.

The guy is as lucky as Domino (in a much more subtle way), and thats definitely something that could be played up. In fact, thinking about The Punisher: Born, I'm developing a pretty decent crossover story involving Frank and Ghost Rider, and the demons that ride within.

Oh. Your. God.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-13 01:56:01

It could be done I guess, but like I say, I just feel like to do the character right, he pretty much needs to be in his own little corner of the sandbox, staying away from everybody else. Unless you've got somebody who is the current Punisher writer, or a writer sympathetic to Punisher working on him. Because too often I think that's the problem, these crossovers are done by people that don't really "get" Punisher, and don't really have the respect or enjoy the character, so he gets played in the "nutcase fucker" kind of way, and I'm fine with that being the attitude of the other hero, but it hurts the story if the writer seems to feel the same way.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-13 04:37:45

Are they still producing stuff for Dr Strange? I've been reading through some of my Dads old Dr Strange comics and wanna get some more, preferably newer, stuff.

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-14 00:37:29

The reason people with powers fear the Punisher is comparable to why people with powers are afraid of Batman, only he'll fucking kill them. This is the guy who's going to figure you out and come at you sideways. Only he'll fucking kill you. This guy hasen't gotten the body count he has by finding a nice spot and bringing plenty of clips. He's a stratagest, and tecnique beats muscle any day of the week.
I don't like Born because it implies that Frank's devotion to his family was tainted when really it works better as this guy was in a fucked up war, came home to a good life, then it got fucked so he kills people. Make a deal with the reaper and get a one up? I don't judge Ennis for getting high but he could have put down the pen that night.
Also, yeah, Dr. Strange is current and working with the new avengers. I suggest checking out the animated movie they did for him a little while ago.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-14 02:37:45

At 5/14/08 12:37 AM, stafffighter wrote: Also, yeah, Dr. Strange is current and working with the new avengers. I suggest checking out the animated movie they did for him a little while ago.

I know he had a mini series or two not too long ago also, but yeah, I think his main deal now is as a New Avenger.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-14 02:59:08

Back on the Punisher thing, I think in human terms (if we're going to ignore Born, and his resurrection in the 616 continuity (if that still holds)) his greatest strength isn't his strategising, his proficiency with weapons or even his combat skills. Hand to hand, yeah he's a great fighter, but no where near champion level, marksmanship he's pretty damn good, but theres only so much you can do with guns. Strategy, I will give him, he's one of the best in laying out battle plans, but this comes from his greatest strength, he is aware of his weaknesses and how to overcome them.

Caught off guard, The Punisher is as defeatable as essentially almost any mercenary with extended real world combat experience. But should he escape and have time to plan, you better get the fuck out of the country because you're dead.

This is the reason I can actually sort of buy into Born. Sure Frank is awesome, but no-one is that lucky for that long without something looking out for them.

And onto my favourite character, Deadpool. I'm glad they're bringing him back and giving him a solo series, but come on, did it have to be a Secret Invasion tie-in? I'm sure it'll be a great piece of observational humour occampanied by the always rediculous action, and I'll enjoy it greatly, but come on, he deserves more respect than launching from the spring-board of company wide crossovers.

Oh. Your. God.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-14 08:03:49

So they finally are bringing out new issues of Squadron Supreme.

Thank god, I've been missing this series dearly for the last two years, only to have to put up with crap like Hyperion Vs Nighthawk and Supreme Power. Okay, it wasn't crap, but in comparison to the JMS stuff, yes, it was. As much as I love Thor, Hyperion should have wiped the floor with him no trouble. At least we got to see him at a real power level when he fought the FF though.

Oh. Your. God.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-16 21:22:25

Marvel was shitting on a good property? I for one, am shocked...

Been reading a shit load of Preacher lately, that book is pure win.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-17 02:28:40

At 5/14/08 02:59 AM, Mr-Silv3r wrote:

Caught off guard, The Punisher is as defeatable as essentially almost any mercenary with extended real world combat experience. But should he escape and have time to plan, you better get the fuck out of the country because you're dead.

That brings to mind the wolverine and punisher mini series. It features an African colony made soley of criminals hiding from the Punisher who worshiped the mimified corpse of Adolf Hitler. It was just as good as it sounds. It featured a beautifuly subtle scene where Frank was pinned down by rubble and considered GNAWING OFF HIS LEG TO GET TO HIS GUNS. Gee, what was the symbolism there?

This is the reason I can actually sort of buy into Born. Sure Frank is awesome, but no-one is that lucky for that long without something looking out for them.

He's survived this long (suspending probablity as much as we do for anyone) because stratigically he's set himself up so that opponents don't get an easy first shot and don't get a lot fo chances afterward. Admiting his own weakness is all a part of strategy. One must consider their own weaknesses and strengths as well as those of their rival in order to fully plan for a given situation. Using that information he then controls the situation as best he can to give himself the advantage in combat. Be this placment, armement or something as simple as the element of suprise. A true stratigist plans for everything, incoluding himself.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-05-17 23:40:52

At 5/17/08 03:55 AM, 54uR0n wrote: Can anyone suggest some good ones that would appeal to people that are not really comic-book oriented?

If you want just solid, single book reading, I'd suggest:

Watchmen
V For Vendetta
From Hell

That's about it from me as I tend to read series, for series I'd say:
Fables
Preacher
Sandman
Ex Machina
Y The Last Man
Sandman: Mystery Theatre (it's the original 1940's Golden Age hero, but re-imagined, very good if you like pulpy, noirish stuff)
Hellblazer is good
Fallen Angel

I guess it'd help if I knew more about what you meant by being not "comic book" oriented, do you mean your not oriented to the idea of the collection of ongoing series system? Or your not a fan of the super hero genre? These things would help me to better understand what I could recommend to you that you might dig.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature