00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Fluffymofo808 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club

127,051 Views | 1,160 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-11 23:47:11

At 9/11/08 04:16 AM, Tri-Nitro-Toluene wrote: Shall look into it, your description does make it sound quite interesting.

You should pick up some trades of the prior series "JSA" as well, that book was simply brilliant and so integral to what DC is doing now in the larger mosaic.

Anyone got a hold of Gaiman's Marvel 1602? I picked it up and I have to say whislt it was quite good I felt slightly udnerwhelmed by it. Well written and all, but there was something lacking.

Felt the same way, very good technically, and interesting...but just not that kind of thing where you go "OMG I can't wait to read this again!"

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-13 04:04:51

At 9/11/08 11:47 PM, aviewaskewed wrote: Felt the same way, very good technically, and interesting...but just not that kind of thing where you go "OMG I can't wait to read this again!"

I couldn't help but feel annoyed that he kept on teasing about Parker getting Superpowers whenever a Spider made an appearence and it then never happened = / Once was alright, but he did it like three times.

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-13 15:51:49

I liked that aspect. Like the one most defined by responcibility kept having the universe dare him to take it.
He has his powers in the sequal (NOT by Gaiman) 1602: new world. It's a good, not great read. It's a lot more cartoonish. However I did love the scene at the start where Norman Osborn couldn't get the natives to sign his contract because Cap taught them how to read.
Spider-man just feels empty without web shooters.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-13 19:30:28

hey, if this is the comic fans club, is there a (web) comic creator's guild or something?
i remember seeing story writers... would that fall under that?
or... would that be more under the art forum?

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-13 19:39:44

At 9/13/08 07:30 PM, kernalphage wrote: hey, if this is the comic fans club, is there a (web) comic creator's guild or something?

I think there have been a few failed attempts at starting one.

i remember seeing story writers... would that fall under that?
or... would that be more under the art forum?

Both really.. Probably more to the literacy side because even the art side helps tell the story.

Also.. Does anyone heree know the release date for the start of Marvel Zombies 3? And will it be realeased in book form straight away? Or just comic form?

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-13 23:46:19

At 9/13/08 07:39 PM, CTM222 wrote: Also.. Does anyone heree know the release date for the start of Marvel Zombies 3? And will it be realeased in book form straight away? Or just comic form?

Not sure of the release date, but my understanding is it'll be monthly comic form. The industry may make the money from the collection, but they don't want to give up that monthly issue crutch.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-14 17:54:16

At 9/13/08 11:46 PM, aviewaskewed wrote: Not sure of the release date, but my understanding is it'll be monthly comic form. The industry may make the money from the collection, but they don't want to give up that monthly issue crutch.

Ahhh ok :) That means a few more trips out than I wanted over the 5 months but nevermind. I wish there was a comic book shop closer..

So, what does everyone think about the upcoming Watchmen film? Personally, I think it looks great, but I doubt that it will live up to the book and I am not sure how they will put the ending off. Plus it's complexity cant really be compressed into your average 2 hour movie.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-15 02:37:40

At 9/14/08 05:54 PM, CTM222 wrote: Ahhh ok :) That means a few more trips out than I wanted over the 5 months but nevermind. I wish there was a comic book shop closer..

There's always online ordering if you think that'd be more helpful. I buy a lot of my stuff from ebay or amazon, there's also some stores like Earth-2 that have an online branch, or the store that handles my monthly subscriptions which you can find at www.1lap2go.com.

So, what does everyone think about the upcoming Watchmen film? Personally, I think it looks great, but I doubt that it will live up to the book and I am not sure how they will put the ending off. Plus it's complexity cant really be compressed into your average 2 hour movie.

I'm reserving judgement until I see it, but my expectations are kind of low since I think they'll have to trim a lot of the history out, and the history was a lot of what made that story so good and that world feel and seem so real.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-15 16:59:43

At 9/15/08 02:37 AM, aviewaskewed wrote: There's always online ordering if you think that'd be more helpful. I buy a lot of my stuff from ebay or amazon, there's also some stores like Earth-2 that have an online branch, or the store that handles my monthly subscriptions which you can find at www.1lap2go.com.

Yeah.. But these things dont seem to be so popular in the UK. I dont mind really.

I'm reserving judgement until I see it, but my expectations are kind of low since I think they'll have to trim a lot of the history out, and the history was a lot of what made that story so good and that world feel and seem so real.

I think that they will include a lot of the history through the background images in much the same way as the book. Doing this might only make it clear to fans of the novel though. I have also seen images of the Gunga Diner, Treasure Island and the News stand.. They look ok but the lighting seems much too bright and it really took the whole feel out of it.

Images on good old imdb.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-15 18:00:48

In an episode of smodcast Kevin Smith said he got to see Watchmen early and loved it.He said it as incredibly true to the book. I trust his opioin on things like this.

If you don't know what smodcast is it's a weekly podcast of him and Scott Moiser bullshitting for about an hour. It's fucking hilarious. The Watchmen endocment is in "human quilt" so named for a segment where they talked about Paul Bunion enslaving a town and forcing them to make him a sex doll with real skin. It gets even grosser than that.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-16 01:14:52

At 9/15/08 04:59 PM, CTM222 wrote: Yeah.. But these things dont seem to be so popular in the UK. I dont mind really.

Comic books? Really? I was under the impression the UK had a healthy comics market. Or at least a healthy graphic novel market, it does get harder to find monthly issues of something outside of a shop though. Was that what you meant.

Also, start reading Thunderbolts people! It's deliciously evil. I just read Caged Angels in which Norman Osborne goes on a rampage in full Goblin costume...the costume he killed Gwen Stacy in and never washed...process that for a minute please...also such dialogue gems like "ahhh, I am so glad I never washed this, smells like death, blondes, and victory". You need proof Norman is one of the most underrated badass psycho villians in comics? Go read this. The government actually pays this guy as the director of deputized federal marshal super criminals!!! Nuts!!!

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-16 11:46:40

At 9/16/08 01:14 AM, aviewaskewed wrote: Comic books? Really? I was under the impression the UK had a healthy comics market. Or at least a healthy graphic novel market, it does get harder to find monthly issues of something outside of a shop though. Was that what you meant.

Nah we have a decent comics market if you know where to look. As far as I know, there is no delivery system her at all. We have quite a good graphic novel market within the top book shops but only a few true comic book shops dotted around the biggest cities (which means a few train journeys for me to reach).

I just read Caged Angels in which Norman Osborne goes on a rampage in full Goblin costume.

It sounds really good! I havent really looked into the Spiderman novels but i did read the Amazing Spiderman whenever I could. The Goblin wasn't quite as psychotic in them though. I'll look out for it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-16 12:03:29

At 9/16/08 01:14 AM, aviewaskewed wrote: Comic books? Really? I was under the impression the UK had a healthy comics market. Or at least a healthy graphic novel market, it does get harder to find monthly issues of something outside of a shop though. Was that what you meant.

It's an alright market. You can normally find a graphic novel section in most big book stores, but beyond that finding stuff is few and far between. I'm quite lucky, Birmingham has two Comic Stores in the city centre where you can pick up actual comics. Newagents and the like used to stock comics, but not any more for some reason.

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-16 17:26:37

At 9/16/08 12:03 PM, Tri-Nitro-Toluene wrote: Newagents and the like used to stock comics, but not any more for some reason.

Probably the same reason newstands in America and grocery stores here stopped, the money just isn't there enough to justify the rack space for 'em. That's why comics need the direct market so badly, because the system is setup in their favor, and those stores are built on that product. Businesses that have no real need for them have pretty much dropped them because the monthly comic just isn't making enough for them.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-18 17:41:59

I just want to know one thing. Have you people embraced change?

What makes this brilliant is that it is so something the Skrulls would do.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-18 17:52:38

I really need to actually read some of the latest stuff from Marvel that isn't Punisher and Ultimate X-men. I kind of stopped paying attention to the original universe outside of Max after I read civil war...

Read a few thigns here and there but nothing major league.

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-18 17:55:17

At 9/18/08 05:41 PM, stafffighter wrote: I just want to know one thing. Have you people embraced change?

What makes this brilliant is that it is so something the Skrulls would do.

Looks interesting.. Its weird seeing Skrulls in CGI format alongside real humans. Its not revealing too much yet but I will keep checking up on it to see if it looks good enough to buy.

Website here

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-19 01:42:31

At 9/18/08 05:52 PM, Tri-Nitro-Toluene wrote: Read a few thigns here and there but nothing major league.

I have no patience for "lines" anymore. I just want to read what I want to read, and the hell with the universe at large. I know, I'm a bad geek that way.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-21 15:47:58

anybody know of any good indie comics?

If you're not reading Twisted Comix what is your life about?

I'm published on NG! Buy "One Shot"!

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-22 00:13:52

At 9/21/08 03:47 PM, Tystarr wrote: anybody know of any good indie comics?

This may in some ways depend on how you define indie. Do you define it as anything not Marvel or DC? Or anything not from the major publishers?

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-22 15:03:20

Well ive applied for a job at the forbidden planet where i live, christ knows i need the money, with a bit of luck i may have a job in something i have intrest in.
Oh and i applied in Game and Argos as well,but Argos is shit.

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-22 15:12:33

At 9/22/08 03:03 PM, qwertyowen wrote: Well ive applied for a job at the forbidden planet where i live, christ knows i need the money, with a bit of luck i may have a job in something i have intrest in.

Only problem with Forbidden plant in my experience is that it gets far too many teenage girls who go in their for manga and spend all the time jabbering on about how awesome it is and how the guys that write it are the greatest comic bopok writers ever. Normally they have this conversation whislt I'm flicking through something written by Garth Ennis or Alan Moore...

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-22 15:19:45

At 9/22/08 03:03 PM, qwertyowen wrote: Well ive applied for a job at the forbidden planet where i live, christ knows i need the money, with a bit of luck i may have a job in something i have intrest in.

That sounds great! I wouldnt mind a part time job there but I think that peoples jabberings would start to bother me too. But hey, I still love Forbidden Planet.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-22 15:25:53

At 9/22/08 03:19 PM, CTM222 wrote:
That sounds great! I wouldnt mind a part time job there but I think that peoples jabberings would start to bother me too. But hey, I still love Forbidden Planet.

I have the ability to shut off from anoying people in a instant which will come in useful.
That's if i get the job, im still trying to fill out the application form.

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-22 15:30:29

At 9/22/08 03:25 PM, qwertyowen wrote: I have the ability to shut off from anoying people in a instant which will come in useful.
That's if i get the job, im still trying to fill out the application form.

Lucky.. I tend to pick it up like sonar :(
But still, it would be a great place to work (especially if you got a discount) and if you dont get it, there are plenty of other jobs that will pay the same.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-22 21:40:09

We have a place around here called Newbury Comics which is basically like the store that Jack Black character opened on the Simpsons. Despite comics being right in the name comic books are basically an afterthought amoung the cds, movies and assorted young person crap. It's a nice place except it's easy to feel like you're not cool enough to be there.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-23 11:30:36

At 9/22/08 09:40 PM, stafffighter wrote: We have a place around here called Newbury Comics which is basically like the store that Jack Black character opened on the Simpsons. Despite comics being right in the name comic books are basically an afterthought amoung the cds, movies and assorted young person crap. It's a nice place except it's easy to feel like you're not cool enough to be there.

That sounds great. I wish there was a comic book shop near me that I didnt have to take an hours travel to get to :( I mean, I have news agents but they only sell the new marvel collection range.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-23 20:03:48

At 9/23/08 11:30 AM, CTM222 wrote: That sounds great. I wish there was a comic book shop near me that I didnt have to take an hours travel to get to :( I mean, I have news agents but they only sell the new marvel collection range.

Like I say, I like Amazon for the discounts, and ebay because it has such rare stuff usually. Not to mention the new stuff I get every couple months or so via subscription.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-27 10:46:38

I just picked up the first Marvel Zombies (based largly on Avie writing a column about it) and it was pretty good. The only thing I'd complain about is the amount of time they spent on the ultimate fantastic four. It's not an interesting title and it didn't lend the concept anything.
I like how it's more a gore farce than an attempt at straight horror. You just couldn't get the coolness of super powered zombies if you took yourself too seriously.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2008-09-27 17:40:24

At 9/27/08 10:46 AM, stafffighter wrote: I just picked up the first Marvel Zombies and it was pretty good.

Do you mean the whole Marvel Zombies 1 or the first comic of Marvel Zombies 3? Because I still have no idea when that hits the shops.

And I would say that all the previous zombies were great. I wasnt too keen on the spin offs that were slipped into Ultimate Fantastic Four and Black Panther either but the acctual Zombies were amazing. It was great to look into that alternate reality. As long as you didnt take it too seriously. Who doesn't want to see Cap get his brains ripped out? :P

BBS Signature