Be a Supporter!

Where is/How to? Memberlist

  • 47,784 Views
  • 1,190 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
NEVR
NEVR
  • Member since: Jun. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 20th, 2008 @ 09:13 PM Reply

At 5/20/08 07:38 PM, simon wrote:
At 5/14/08 06:39 PM, sirtom93 wrote:
At 5/14/08 06:33 PM, phantomlassuk wrote: I spend most of my time here i singed up on 2/14/2004 dont know if this is helpful
Did you really sign up then?
No his sign up is 2004 because he signed up in 2005.

It's true. Sign-up dates are actually intricate puzzles that you have to figure out for yourself rather than taking them at face value. FOR EXAMPLE, simon here APPARENTLY signed up 3/23/00, but I've cleverly deduced through a number of complex equations and cryptic clues that his actual sign-up date is 12/31/99.

End sarcasm.

;P


BBS Signature
BonusStage
BonusStage
  • Member since: Apr. 20, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 21st, 2008 @ 10:38 AM Reply

At 5/20/08 05:01 PM, Bahamut wrote: So you've got a problem with what I say and where I post in this forum? I could say what I don't like about you here, but I won't. I don't like being bitter towards users in this forum.

Have you EVER run a list in this place? Ever?

At 5/18/08 10:27 AM, gfoxcook wrote: Gee, I'll bet that makes whoever I was talking about feel SOOOO much better, then, to know there are others infinitely worse. #;-}>

Haha, i'd rather tell the truth and be rude than not and lie.

Dogma's been gone a looooooooooong time. ShittyKitty didn't just get too busy for NG, he got too busy for his own site, Retrogade... POOF it went, circa April 2007, IIRC.

Yeah, i know they're quite gone, quite very gone gone gone. It's just sad that they are.

Denvish and joobs.... I have no idea. COME BACK, DENJOOBS.

j00bie was a great user, he and I owned page 1k of the LUL, and even though i can't prove it now, i was the one who actually got first post on page 1000, i remember beating j00bie by like 2 seconds, i rule.

Denvish is a lol-inducing mod nowadays, a very funny guy, i wish he was around here to liven things up

It's not about being optimistic, really. It's about not looking at the negative aspects of things you enjoy. Do you harp (either internally or externally) on the negatives of a girlfriend or... any friend for that matter? Or do you have more fun enjoying the good parts? Unless I'm in a REALLY bad mood, I'm always more the latter than the former.

I'm quite pessimistic normally because i'm always thinking too much to only see the good, it's a shitty characteristic i live with.

Similarly, if there are members on Wi/Ht? that you don't agree with the election of because you didn't feel they deserved it, that's fine, but why not focus instead on those you DO think worthy?

I remember them all well, they are good people like you or I.

Or just not worry about such relatively unimportant status matters, for that matter...

I care way too much about this site >_>

BONUS MAKE GFOX TEH SAD COOKIE. ;_;

:::::::::::::::::""""""""""""""""(((((((
((((((


The Truth.
but seriously why is this shit still only 3 lines shit used to be 5 lines, HOW MUCH MORE FUCKIN BANDWIDTH WAS THAT TOM, HOW MUCH? Also, hot rosalina porn link ;D

BBS Signature
NEVR
NEVR
  • Member since: Jun. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 21st, 2008 @ 10:45 AM Reply

At 5/21/08 10:38 AM, BonusStage wrote:
At 5/20/08 05:01 PM, Bahamut wrote: So you've got a problem with what I say and where I post in this forum? I could say what I don't like about you here, but I won't. I don't like being bitter towards users in this forum.
Have you EVER run a list in this place? Ever?

He runs the regulars list, dude.


BBS Signature
Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 21st, 2008 @ 01:42 PM Reply

At 5/21/08 10:45 AM, NEVR wrote:
At 5/21/08 10:38 AM, BonusStage wrote: Have you EVER run a list in this place? Ever?
He runs the regulars list, dude.

And he's ready to take over the 2x10k+ list towards the end of the month which is umh... The biggest list on the site?

Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 21st, 2008 @ 06:58 PM Reply

At 5/21/08 10:38 AM, BonusStage wrote:
At 5/20/08 05:01 PM, Bahamut wrote: So you've got a problem with what I say and where I post in this forum? I could say what I don't like about you here, but I won't. I don't like being bitter towards users in this forum.
Have you EVER run a list in this place? Ever?

As NEVR said, I run the Regulars List. Perhaps it's not huge stats list-wise, but managing the list of Wi/Ht? regulars IS pretty big. Also, I will soon be running the Pentalist, which I expect to start on 31st May.

So yes, I am running a list and will be running a second list as well. Maybe I didn't start making them until this year, but when I was elected last year, it was the voters' decision for me to become a new Wi/Ht? member.

At 5/21/08 01:42 PM, Casualty wrote: And he's ready to take over the 2x10k+ list towards the end of the month which is umh... The biggest list on the site?

I wouldn't call it the biggest list. Although the NG Log has ranking lists that show only the top 200, the site contains more users than the Pentalist does.


[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

BonusStage
BonusStage
  • Member since: Apr. 20, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 21st, 2008 @ 10:40 PM Reply

At 5/21/08 10:45 AM, NEVR wrote: He runs the regulars list, dude.

Post getting elected.


The Truth.
but seriously why is this shit still only 3 lines shit used to be 5 lines, HOW MUCH MORE FUCKIN BANDWIDTH WAS THAT TOM, HOW MUCH? Also, hot rosalina porn link ;D

BBS Signature
ReconRebel
ReconRebel
  • Member since: Jun. 23, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 21st, 2008 @ 10:56 PM Reply

At 5/21/08 10:40 PM, BonusStage wrote:
At 5/21/08 10:45 AM, NEVR wrote: He runs the regulars list, dude.
Post getting elected.

Cool. Successively increasing syllables. Still don't understand what you're trying to say Bonus. Three word posts can be a little vague.


Levels --- Badges
Chaos, panic and disorder; my work here is done.

BBS Signature
NEVR
NEVR
  • Member since: Jun. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 22nd, 2008 @ 03:55 AM Reply

At 5/21/08 10:56 PM, ReconRebel wrote:
At 5/21/08 10:40 PM, BonusStage wrote:
At 5/21/08 10:45 AM, NEVR wrote: He runs the regulars list, dude.
Post getting elected.
Cool. Successively increasing syllables. Still don't understand what you're trying to say Bonus. Three word posts can be a little vague.

I believe he means that Bahamut took up managing the regulars list after he got elected as a member. Even though that is the case, he's still doing a good deal for the forum IMO.

It's only the internet, anyways.


BBS Signature
NEVR
NEVR
  • Member since: Jun. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 22nd, 2008 @ 09:13 PM Reply

I've waited 17 hours and nobody has posted, so I'm taking the 1,000th reply. Sorry :)


BBS Signature
gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 22nd, 2008 @ 09:44 PM Reply

At 5/19/08 04:04 AM, Haggard wrote:
At 5/18/08 10:27 AM, gfoxcook wrote: I actually remember the days before the mouse wheel even more fondly. Then you had a left, middle, and right button on the 3-button mice that were all consistent in shape and size, usually... and middle clicking was much easier with a "real" button than it is with most wheels, which tend to like to move (either up/down or side-to-side with the wheels that have that function).
That's right. Some mouse wheels are quite crappy. But my mouse (and the mouse wheel) is so outworn that it doesn't move up or down if I don't want it to. ^^

Ah, cool.

I also remember when you only had two mouse buttons. I started with an Amiga back in the 90's (yes, I was a little behind the times then [uh... is "behind the times" the right phrase to use? I actually mean the opposite of "ahead of the times" ;) ]).

Well of course, I remember those times as well. That's why I'm so fond of teh oldschool 3-button mice. They were introduced after the days of the two-button mice and then it seems like they never got a chance to be kings for very long before the wheel took the place of the middle button almost right away.

Yes, that's the correct phrase to use.

Maybe you have, but I can't remember if you did so. But that's great. As I've said: Opera > all other browsers! :D

It's better than Firefox in some ways, but there are a few things about Firefox I like that Opera doesn't seem to do as well, so that's why I use both.

I only use ctr-W when I'm working on the laptop. On the PC I always close tabs with a mouse gesture or with a click on the tab with the middle mouse button/mouse wheel.
But mouse gestures are not that easy with a touch pad and the laptop doesn't have a "middle mouse button", so... ctrl-W is the quickest way to close a tab there. ^^

I'm always working on the laptop. #;-}>

I see, again. ^^
But File and Edit menues are alt+D and alt+B respectively. You know, different language, different shortcuts. ;)

... oh. I hadn't even thought of that. Plenty of languages have words that at least start with the same letter, though, man. English/German, English/Latin, English/French often have similar words, at least in part... I never would have guessed that the Germany terms for file and edit didn't start with f and e, but... I guess at least in the case of edit, it makes sense... since edit is definitely a Latin-derived word.

I'm not so sure on file.

At 5/20/08 05:01 PM, Bahamut wrote:
At 5/17/08 12:44 AM, BonusStage wrote:
At 5/8/08 08:36 PM, gfoxcook wrote: He did say "MOST of" the good users left, Bahamut. Maybe he meant after you got here, and you're one of the few who remained? After all, that's what he was saying about the likes of me, no doubt. :::noddles:::
I know you're the most optimistic person according to the internet, but you have to agree that posting in stat threads only and never even controlling your own list or significantly helping out in the small help threads doesn't qualify as being a MEMBER, it qualifies as being a regular, the members that fit THAT description disgust me.
So you've got a problem with what I say and where I post in this forum? I could say what I don't like about you here, but I won't. I don't like being bitter towards users in this forum.

I didn't think he was talking about you specifically, but I guess I was wrong. Thanks for handling his criticism with maturity, man.

Flash also needs right-clicking.

FT low-quality-selector W!

Funny, cause I think the real Golden Age was back before SK ever invented the program that made "The Incident" even possible.
You think so? When did you think that Golden Age end? Others have said Early 2005, so I wonder what you think.

I don't think it has a precise end.

Sure, SK pretty much left due to that, but he was going to leave sooner or later, anyway (see: his dropping of RG due to college/work/getting married).
But didn't that incident killed much of his interest in NG? I recall him claiming that.

He wasn't around much before it, either. He wasn't around at ALL after it. So sure, it did.

But again, when he dropped Retrogade, he was out altogether anyway. My point was that if "that incident" hadn't happened, then he would have dropped out when he let RG die and focussed on his real life, anyway.

I can't think of anyone else I can definitively point to that as being the reason they're not here besides SK, and again... that ain't really the reason anymore even with him, so... yeah.
D0GMA?

Also wasn't around as much BEFORE the incident as back in 2003-2004.

Again, with both of them, and maybe others, you can argue for it as a "last straw," but you cannot give it too much credit. People come and go, with or without such individual causes to point at. Both of them, and others such as Newgrundling, just faded away, long before that.

Yeah, well... be careful. I know from experience that often the only thing impressing people in the workplace gets you is constant questions, requests for training, etc. etc.
But if it leads me to getting a job at the place I'm at now, I think it's worth it.

I was more talking about AFTER you get it, though.

There is one thing about this workplace. I have hardly used a computer there. Infact, with what I do, I don't need to use one.

Cool.

Or as my neighbour once suggested, playing Tomb Raider by using a steering wheel. :P I guess it could work if you're on a vehicle, but silly if you're just going through the levels by foot (i.e. the whole of the first game).
Wouldn't work with the Wii Wheel + Wii version of Tomb Raider, I don't think. For one thing, you need nunchaku to play Wii Tomb Raider... for another, remote wouldn't be aimed at screen while holding wheel. #;-}>
I was actually referring to the Playstation Tomb Raider games and not Anniversary for the Wii.

I figured as much, but the only steering wheel I have is for the Wii, so I changed the subject to the Wii Wheel + the Anniversary Wii edition of TR, yes. #;-}>


gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 22nd, 2008 @ 09:47 PM Reply

At 5/20/08 07:38 PM, simon wrote: No his sign up is 2004 because he signed up in 2005.

:::brain explodes:::

At 5/21/08 10:38 AM, BonusStage wrote:
At 5/20/08 05:01 PM, Bahamut wrote: So you've got a problem with what I say and where I post in this forum? I could say what I don't like about you here, but I won't. I don't like being bitter towards users in this forum.
Have you EVER run a list in this place? Ever?

Has Recon? Or spancker? Or lightning? Or leeboy? or Xkwizitone?

Bonus, when did running a list become the ONLY criteria for being a Wi/Ht? member is my point.

BlueHippo, I believe it was, was complaining recently that we elected someone to the membership, in his view, solely BECAUSE of listmakery.

So we've got some members who don't like people getting added to the membership who've never made lists, even though that's at least half the membership...

And we've got some other members who don't like people getting added to the membership just because (allegedly) they make lists...

Do you see the problem here?

At 5/18/08 10:27 AM, gfoxcook wrote: Gee, I'll bet that makes whoever I was talking about feel SOOOO much better, then, to know there are others infinitely worse. #;-}>
Haha, i'd rather tell the truth and be rude than not and lie.

True enough, but listen to my truth as well, and understand that if you're angry about the election of Bahamut in particular, maybe you've got personal issues with him that you need to work through.

Because before you and Bahamut started back and forth, I THOUGHT you were talking about multiple members, not just him. Don't single him out, when he is far from unique.

j00bie was a great user, he and I owned page 1k of the LUL, and even though i can't prove it now, i was the one who actually got first post on page 1000, i remember beating j00bie by like 2 seconds, i rule.

Good times, good times.

Denvish is a lol-inducing mod nowadays, a very funny guy, i wish he was around here to liven things up

Which forums is he modding on (visibly, I mean)? Cause it sure ain't this one.

I'm quite pessimistic normally because i'm always thinking too much to only see the good, it's a shitty characteristic i live with.

You can always try to change it.

Better now than when you're a crusty old senior citizen, set in his ways. #;-}>

I remember them all well, they are good people like you or I.

Don't turn the membership into an us vs. them, man.

I care way too much about this site >_>

...

BONUS MAKE GFOX TEH SAD COOKIE. ;_;
""""""""""""""""(((((((
((((((

SEE WHAT YOU DO?

At 5/21/08 06:58 PM, Bahamut wrote: As NEVR said, I run the Regulars List. Perhaps it's not huge stats list-wise, but managing the list of Wi/Ht? regulars IS pretty big. Also, I will soon be running the Pentalist, which I expect to start on 31st May.

So yes, I am running a list and will be running a second list as well. Maybe I didn't start making them until this year, but when I was elected last year, it was the voters' decision for me to become a new Wi/Ht? member.

Yeah, I was gonna bring up your current list and soon-to-be-list, too, but I figured there was a much stronger case to be made for... "what does that matter?"

At 5/21/08 01:42 PM, Casualty wrote: And he's ready to take over the 2x10k+ list towards the end of the month which is umh... The biggest list on the site?
I wouldn't call it the biggest list. Although the NG Log has ranking lists that show only the top 200, the site contains more users than the Pentalist does.

Biggest to-this-point-manually-made list?

At 5/22/08 03:55 AM, NEVR wrote:
At 5/21/08 10:56 PM, ReconRebel wrote:
At 5/21/08 10:40 PM, BonusStage wrote:
At 5/21/08 10:45 AM, NEVR wrote: He runs the regulars list, dude.
Post getting elected.
Cool. Successively increasing syllables. Still don't understand what you're trying to say Bonus. Three word posts can be a little vague.
I believe he means that Bahamut took up managing the regulars list after he got elected as a member. Even though that is the case, he's still doing a good deal for the forum IMO.

As does any other member we've elected.

And BTW, Bonus, the fact that Bahamut only now is starting to do tons of lists, and has been active on the forum EVER since his election.... to me is a valuable thing about his membership.

There have been plenty of members who have disappeared off the face of the earth. That doesn't make me regret electing them, but Bahamut is certainly doing more right now than they are... right now... isn't he?


gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
NEVR
NEVR
  • Member since: Jun. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 22nd, 2008 @ 10:19 PM Reply

At 5/22/08 09:47 PM, gfoxcook wrote: So we've got some members who don't like people getting added to the membership who've never made lists, even though that's at least half the membership...

And we've got some other members who don't like people getting added to the membership just because (allegedly) they make lists...

Do you see the problem here?

OK, I may not have been here for long, but in my opinion the memberlist is simply a place where the more legendary contributors to the Wi/Ht are housed, and will have their names displayed whether they become inactive or not, as a sort of homage to the contribution they once made.

I liked the 'Hall of Fame' analogy that has been used in the past. I don't think you should have to run a stat list to get onto the memberlist (I haven't, but then Bonus may have been insinuating that he doesn't think I belong here either). IMO, impressing enough active members to be voted onto the list more than justifies having your name here.

Obviously there's always room for disagreement, but if someone feels that another member shouldn't be here, then the disagreeing member can always just ignore the member they dislike rather than try to put them down. The fact remains that enough people feel (or have felt) that the current members have done enough here to warrant them being a part of the list. That's good enough for me.


BBS Signature
idiot-buster
idiot-buster
  • Member since: Sep. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 22nd, 2008 @ 10:22 PM Reply

sorry for acting like i am a noob but what is this thread about?


Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature
NEVR
NEVR
  • Member since: Jun. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 22nd, 2008 @ 10:32 PM Reply

At 5/22/08 10:22 PM, Buster1 wrote: sorry for acting like i am a noob but what is this thread about?

The memberlist is basically a list of the users who have made a sizable contribution to the Wi/Ht? forum over time. You can click the link in my signature (the one labeled 'Wi/Ht? #35') to see who else is on the list.

Usually members are elected from the Wi/Ht? regulars list, so it's kinda like a tier above being a regular.


BBS Signature
idiot-buster
idiot-buster
  • Member since: Sep. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 22nd, 2008 @ 11:27 PM Reply

The memberlist is basically a list of the users who have made a sizable contribution to the Wi/Ht? forum over time. You can click the link in my signature (the one labeled 'Wi/Ht? #35') to see who else is on the list.

Usually members are elected from the Wi/Ht? regulars list, so it's kinda like a tier above being a regular.

thanks for explaining, so i have a long way to go to become a member.


Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature
ReconRebel
ReconRebel
  • Member since: Jun. 23, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 22nd, 2008 @ 11:54 PM Reply

At 5/22/08 09:47 PM, gfoxcook wrote:
At 5/21/08 10:38 AM, BonusStage wrote: Have you EVER run a list in this place? Ever?
Has Recon? Or spancker? Or lightning? Or leeboy? or Xkwizitone?

What about Mary Ellen, Jim Bob or John-Boy? Damn! I'm having flashbacks of The Waltons again!

At 5/22/08 10:19 PM, NEVR wrote: The fact remains that enough people feel (or have felt) that the current members have done enough here to warrant them being a part of the list. That's good enough for me.

Couldn't have said it better myself NEVR. People will always have their own opinions about the election results (including myself) but if they get voted in, so be it. That's the way it's always worked around here.

..... and you're still using my sig. ^_~


Levels --- Badges
Chaos, panic and disorder; my work here is done.

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Member since: Dec. 25, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 55
Writer
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 23rd, 2008 @ 03:31 AM Reply

At 5/22/08 09:44 PM, gfoxcook wrote:
At 5/19/08 04:04 AM, Haggard wrote:
At 5/18/08 10:27 AM, gfoxcook wrote:
I also remember when you only had two mouse buttons. I started with an Amiga back in the 90's (yes, I was a little behind the times then [uh... is "behind the times" the right phrase to use? I actually mean the opposite of "ahead of the times" ;) ]).
Yes, that's the correct phrase to use.

Great. :)

Maybe you have, but I can't remember if you did so. But that's great. As I've said: Opera > all other browsers! :D
It's better than Firefox in some ways, but there are a few things about Firefox I like that Opera doesn't seem to do as well, so that's why I use both.

I tried to get used to FF a few times (because greater knowledge of browsers is always a good thing), but it just doesn't feel right... for every little bit I need a new plugin. That's really annoying.

I see, again. ^^
But File and Edit menues are alt+D and alt+B respectively. You know, different language, different shortcuts. ;)
... oh. I hadn't even thought of that. Plenty of languages have words that at least start with the same letter, though, man. English/German, English/Latin, English/French often have similar words, at least in part... I never would have guessed that the Germany terms for file and edit didn't start with f and e, but... I guess at least in the case of edit, it makes sense... since edit is definitely a Latin-derived word.

That's right. And "editieren" is often used here (which clearly derives from Latin) as well, but mostly in a EDP context. However, to get to the "edit"-menu I have to press alt+B (for "Bearbeiten").

I'm not so sure on file.

I think that also derives from a Latin word (filum). But it's "Datei" in german. So that's why I have to use alt+D. ;)


Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 23rd, 2008 @ 05:37 AM Reply

At 5/22/08 10:22 PM, Buster1 wrote: sorry for acting like i am a noob but what is this thread about?

Drama, mostly.

... (which is not what it was fuckin' intended for, I might add, when I created it...)

This thread is ALSO (and originally) about...

this:

http://home.comcast.net/~gfoxcook/WIHTli st.html

At 5/22/08 11:54 PM, ReconRebel wrote:
At 5/22/08 09:47 PM, gfoxcook wrote: Has Recon? Or spancker? Or lightning? Or leeboy? or Xkwizitone?
What about Mary Ellen, Jim Bob or John-Boy? Damn! I'm having flashbacks of The Waltons again!

LOL!

"Goodnight, John-Boy!"

I don't remember a damned thing about that show except the goodnights at the end.

At 5/22/08 10:19 PM, NEVR wrote: The fact remains that enough people feel (or have felt) that the current members have done enough here to warrant them being a part of the list. That's good enough for me.
Couldn't have said it better myself NEVR. People will always have their own opinions about the election results (including myself) but if they get voted in, so be it. That's the way it's always worked around here.

Hear, hear (to both of yas).

..... and you're still using my sig. ^_~

UH OH. MORE DRAMA (but a better variety).

FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!

At 5/23/08 03:31 AM, Haggard wrote: I tried to get used to FF a few times (because greater knowledge of browsers is always a good thing), but it just doesn't feel right... for every little bit I need a new plugin. That's really annoying.

Heh, I know what you mean. I have 0 plugins for Opera (though I know you can use them), but I have like 6 for Firefox. To be fair, however, I only think two or three plugins are really all that necessary for FireFox. The rest I have just because they're fun.

Top 3... scratch that... Top *2* Important Firefox plugins:

Adblock Plus
NoScript

That's right. And "editieren" is often used here (which clearly derives from Latin) as well, but mostly in a EDP context. However, to get to the "edit"-menu I have to press alt+B (for "Bearbeiten").

That's messed up. GERMAN WORD FOR EDIT BEGINS WITH E, BUT YOU PRESS B INSTEAD FOR ANOTHER GERMAN WORD HAVING TO DO WITH EDITING. I get it, I get it. #;-}>

Of course, in England and America, this is how the shortcut alt+_ letters go on our Opera menubars:

File Edit View Bookmarks Widgets Tools Help

I think that also derives from a Latin word (filum). But it's "Datei" in german. So that's why I have to use alt+D. ;)

I was leaning towards Latin as well, but I wasn't positive. Ahhh, data-derived menu title in German.... fascinating!

And of course, I know German has SOME Latin-derived words, but I was under the impression you have far less than English, since English is supposed to be half Germanic + half Latinate together, which would make it by definition more Latinate than German is. #;-}>

I'm sure Spanish, French, and Italian have more than English does, in turn.


gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 23rd, 2008 @ 01:36 PM Reply

English does have quite a few words derived from Latin. Not as many as Dutch, but the absolute 'winners' are indeed Spanish, Italian and French. With Italian on top, I'd say, but my Italian knowledge is very restrained. I've done 6 years of Latin though... Oh god...

Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 23rd, 2008 @ 10:40 PM Reply

At 5/22/08 09:13 PM, NEVR wrote: I've waited 17 hours and nobody has posted, so I'm taking the 1,000th reply. Sorry :)

Haha. I was thinking of taking that 1000th reply, but I thought "No, gfox must take it!" Damn you NEVR! You should have NEVR (lol) done that.

At 5/22/08 09:44 PM, gfoxcook wrote:
At 5/20/08 05:01 PM, Bahamut wrote: So you've got a problem with what I say and where I post in this forum? I could say what I don't like about you here, but I won't. I don't like being bitter towards users in this forum.
I didn't think he was talking about you specifically, but I guess I was wrong. Thanks for handling his criticism with maturity, man.

Bonus was pretty lucky this time. Usually, I'm often harsh to those who criticise me, but I've managed to refrain myself from causing a massive argument with him. And I know he didn't talk about me specifically, but I did ask what he thought about me. Then he shared his thoughts on why I shouldn't have been a member back then.

Flash also needs right-clicking.
FT low-quality-selector W!

By Flash, I meant making the damn movies.

You think so? When did you think that Golden Age end? Others have said Early 2005, so I wonder what you think.
I don't think it has a precise end.

So it was before I came here.

But didn't that incident killed much of his interest in NG? I recall him claiming that.
He wasn't around much before it, either. He wasn't around at ALL after it. So sure, it did.

He seemed to be pretty active when I was around, or do you mean well before I came here? That I can understand.

D0GMA?
Also wasn't around as much BEFORE the incident as back in 2003-2004.

Same for SK, it seemed active back in early 2005. I remember D0GMA posting a lot when I first came here.

But if it leads me to getting a job at the place I'm at now, I think it's worth it.
I was more talking about AFTER you get it, though.

Oh...But still, if I got the job, I'd be fucking happy.

I was actually referring to the Playstation Tomb Raider games and not Anniversary for the Wii.
I figured as much, but the only steering wheel I have is for the Wii, so I changed the subject to the Wii Wheel + the Anniversary Wii edition of TR, yes. #;-}>

I assume you've got Anniversary for the Wii. What do you think of it?

At 5/22/08 09:47 PM, gfoxcook wrote: True enough, but listen to my truth as well, and understand that if you're angry about the election of Bahamut in particular, maybe you've got personal issues with him that you need to work through.

Well, I don't have any problems with Bonus (except for this argument, of course). Not sure what he doesn't like about me, besides the member election.

Denvish is a lol-inducing mod nowadays, a very funny guy, i wish he was around here to liven things up
Which forums is he modding on (visibly, I mean)? Cause it sure ain't this one.

Flash?

At 5/21/08 06:58 PM, Bahamut wrote:
At 5/21/08 01:42 PM, Casualty wrote: And he's ready to take over the 2x10k+ list towards the end of the month which is umh... The biggest list on the site?
I wouldn't call it the biggest list. Although the NG Log has ranking lists that show only the top 200, the site contains more users than the Pentalist does.
Biggest to-this-point-manually-made list?

Well yes, it was the biggest manually made list, but mine aren't gonna be manual. ;)

At 5/22/08 03:55 AM, NEVR wrote: I believe he means that Bahamut took up managing the regulars list after he got elected as a member. Even though that is the case, he's still doing a good deal for the forum IMO.
As does any other member we've elected.

And BTW, Bonus, the fact that Bahamut only now is starting to do tons of lists, and has been active on the forum EVER since his election.... to me is a valuable thing about his membership.

I really appreciate the support I'm getting from you and NEVR. :')

There have been plenty of members who have disappeared off the face of the earth. That doesn't make me regret electing them, but Bahamut is certainly doing more right now than they are... right now... isn't he?

...I'll have to get back this tomorrow. It's 3:40AM now and I better get some rest. I would have started replying here sooner, but I had too much fun toying around with the Beta features on Last.fm. Oh well. XP


[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 24th, 2008 @ 01:09 PM Reply

Damn, I've said so much here. Please bear with me Wi/Ht? with this uber long essay of mine regarding this forum. Get yourself a cup of tea, coffee or whatever whilst reading these long-ass posts of mine. :)
_________________________

At 5/22/08 09:47 PM, gfoxcook wrote: There have been plenty of members who have disappeared off the face of the earth. That doesn't make me regret electing them, but Bahamut is certainly doing more right now than they are... right now... isn't he?

Indeed. Many of those members are no longer here, but myself, I don't intend to disappear anytime soon. Not if there's people who've been backing me up since I started posting here. Seriously, if it weren't for the very nice Wi/Ht?'ers from late 2004 'till recent, I wouldn't be here now.

In the beginning, I saw these stat threads and was curious about them. I wondered if I was on any of them, but no luck at the time. The two lists I looked up to were D0GMA's Elite Guard Rank List and ShittyKitty's NG Total Listing. I didn't fully understood your 10k pentalist at the time, but whilst lurking this forum, I had a look at the Level Up Lounge. Before posting, I wanted to check the place and see what the NGers were posting.

A few days later, I made my first NG achievement, which was writing 100 flash reviews. I posted it in the LUL and although assuming no-one would care, I mentioned it anyway. When I was seeing congrats list makers at the time congratulating me for it, I was surprised and happy. I appreciated them mentioning me and I continued to post more achievements that I came across. Then, I started making my own congrats lists and have been doing so since. No-one was mean to me about making them and I felt really confident. I thought this forum was a nice break from the Newgrounders in general (as in the whole site, not the shitty forum) where you'd expect people trying to be all hardcore and attack you for the smallest reasons.

Because of the very nice people in this forum, I felt very welcome to this forum and when I discovered the Regulars List, I noticed people were voting for me and I was like "Wow, they appreciate me that much?" After finding out what the Regulars List was about and how the regulars would recognise potentials more, I felt I had to help out more in threads where users ask questions. With just posting in the LUL and list threads, to me, that didn't seem enough. While I rarely help out users in their threads nowadays, I have helped out a lot of people in this forum in the past and I'm proud of that.

I will admit, I started to help out less when Afro_Stud dominated the forum by helping EVERYONE out! However, that didn't mean I'd lose my loyalty to the forums at all. I was still happy to come here, participate in current subjects and supporting list threads. I was still willing to come here regardless of how little I was helping out with users asking questions.

And that's another reason why I'm glad to still be here. I really enjoy supporting list threads that regulars, members and others make every week, fortnight, month or so. When I was still inexperienced, I was amazed at all these lists. I did think to myself "Damn, they must put in a lot of effort to make these lists." and of course, some lists were automated, but the manually-done lists, those I wondered even more. Without the support from users such as myself, some of these list makers would have given up making them long ago. Making those lists without anyone supporting them would have been a waste of time.

That is one of the reasons why I still visit this forum: The stat lists. They were what I looked up to when I first came here and I still like 'em. I wished to continue supporting these lists, even though two of my favourites have been dead for three years now (i.e. D0GMA's EGRL and SK's NGTL). Now in a newer generation, we have Casualty's NG Log, which I like very much since I can log my stats daily, see how I did the previous day and sometimes, look at where I'm ranked with other NG Loggers for almost any kind of stat. The NG Log reminded me of SK's NGTL, but not pulling so much data from the site, so there's been no bitching from Wade about it.

D0GMA's EGRL, I miss that list also, but I still appreciate the Top 300 B/P updates that were made by absent, Denvish, Afro_Stud, life and now Afro_Stud again. While they only show the top 300 B/P'ers and not every single Elite Guard user like D0GMA's EGRL did, it was still good enough for me.

The 10k pentalist (or rather 2x10k pentalist when I got my first 10k stat) was another list I looked up to and I was glad that the list continued even after the thread thread incident. Of course, the list was reduced from 1x10k to 2x10k, but for having to do it manually, it was reasonable. Unfortunately, the last ever gfox update was in last March and before that, a 15 month gap in-between. Luckily I'm going to start updating the pentalist at the end of May assuming there's no server problems and myself and Casualty get the site sorted out in time.

A few years ago, I never imagined myself doing these lists. I never thought I could make any list updates, despite my decent knowledge in Excel/OpenOffice Calc. Myself being the one who'd run the Wi/Ht? Regulars List was something I never thought would happen. I just assumed Xiivi was going to keep running the list no matter what and of course, I was wrong about that. He stopped making the updates in late 2006, which resulted in the death of the Regulars List.

A few months later, there was another Wi/Ht? Member election. There were a good amount of potentials at the time and I wondered if I was going to make it then. I had some doubts that maybe I'll have been a vote too short to becoming a new member at the time. I didn't want to build my hopes up incase I ended not being a member and feeling hugely disappointed. Fortunately for me, I was elected to a member. Of course, I was pleased that I got in the Memberlist and was very proud of it. It just showed I was still appreciated in the forum and was appreciated enough by the voters to become a new Wi/Ht? Member.

When I became a member, I didn't make any plans to leave the forum a few months later like some appeared to have done (not saying they did it deliberately, but when some of them became members, they left shortly after). I wished to kept supporting the forum as I always did before the member election. The reasons why I stayed and am still here is because of the awesome posters such as yourself, gfox, and also the fact that I wanted to keep supporting the stat threads and the LUL, which I've been posting in since December 2004.

To me, the Wi/Ht? forum is my e-home. Never have I found a place on the Internet that's been so great to me. The users I've met here have to be some of the nicest people on Newgrounds, and that's why I'm still here. The fact that you all have been so great to me over the last few years and the amount of interesting discussions I've come across in all the big threads is why I'm still here. I still enjoy the amount of discussions I participate in this forum. That's why I can't leave anytime soon. I'd hate to move on, leave you all behind and never come back. I wish to continue posting in the Wi/Ht? forum and take part in the greatest discussions on this site.

Another thing about this forum is the support I've been given here. Some examples are when I first started posting here, when I had a feud with the Star Syndicate regarding my first flash and several other problems with them and of course, the support I've been given from gfox and NEVR on my member election just now. If this was in the General forum, it would have been a completely different story. You'd only get the idiots mindlessly bashing you for no apparrent reason. The Wi/Ht?'ers are the complete opposite of them and I appreciate that very much.


[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Murray
Murray
  • Member since: Sep. 12, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 24th, 2008 @ 01:10 PM Reply

To make it up, I have supported newer users to this forum and although there were huge spam attacks in the LUL in later 2007, there were some users who were new that I supported, but of course, some of us did insult some of those new users for being so stupid. If this was now, I would have tried to be a bit nicer to them. The only newer users I would have been bitter towards to are those who persisted to post crap when already warned not to (I won't name anyone, but you know who I'm referring to). The other users deserve support and should feel welcome here, just like how I was welcomed and supported here when I was new.

There's been a time when I was told off for doing something I shouldn't have done and I'll accept the fact that it was something I shouldn't have done, but of course, we learn by mistakes. Still, I prefer to be nicer to the young ones and help them out. It gives myself, the other Wi/Ht?'ers and the forum in general a better reputation. We shouldn't have our good reputation ruined due to bitterness from the older Wi/Ht?'ers.

Going back to my membership, sometimes I thought I wasn't contributing enough to the forum as I should have been. In 2007/2008, I rarely helped out users in their own threads. I guess I'm being too modest here and I'm not like that because of what Bonus said about me, but I really am a modest person overall. Luckily, I was having huge discussions with NEVR, NintendoMadness and others in the LUL around the time many idiots were spamming the fuck out of it with non-achievements. Those who I talked to brought me back a lot of faith in the Lounge before I considered leaving it for good. They also made me think that the Wi/Ht? Regulars List should return.

I didn't decide right away to bring the Regulars List back. I took some time by thinking it through and then go onto bumping the thread back to the first page. I was there to ask whether the list should come back or stay dead as it was. There were members/regulars saying that it should return and claimed it would be great if it did. Luckily I was willing to bring it back, but before confirming the resurrection, I had to contact Xiivi and ask whether it would be OK to take over the list or not. He had no objections to that and things were heading to the right direction.

My effort put in to running the Regulars List and possibly the 2x10k pentalist as well is appreciated by many users here and I'm proud of that. It shows I'm making a great contribution to this forum and have been doing so ever since I started posting here. Heh, I guess I've been appreciated so much that I've been asked to run a Member election sometime. I was thrilled, but like I've said in a previous post of mine, I don't wish to run a Member election until sometime next year. I feel this year is too soon considering I've only been running the Regulars List since February. Just give me some time and then I'll run the Member elections when I'm up to it. :)

Yes, I know I've gone on for too long here, but I wanted to say EVERYTHING about when I first came here, the support I've had here, the stat lists and so on. What I'm trying to say here is:

Thank you all for being some of the greatest people I know on the Internet! Thank you all for being so awesome to me! I appreciate everyone in this forum who have supported me and I support them back in return! You all are what have made this my absolute favourite forum on the Internet! Again, thank you very much!

Oh, and if you managed to read all of that and understood everything, thanks once again! :D


[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

Casualty
Casualty
  • Member since: Sep. 15, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Musician
NEVR
NEVR
  • Member since: Jun. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 24th, 2008 @ 02:03 PM Reply

At 5/24/08 01:09 PM, Bahamut wrote: 2-post speech

That's the kind of speech that make men cheer and women swoon. Very nice :)


BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Member since: Dec. 25, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 55
Writer
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 24th, 2008 @ 03:10 PM Reply

At 5/23/08 05:37 AM, gfoxcook wrote:
At 5/23/08 03:31 AM, Haggard wrote: I tried to get used to FF a few times (because greater knowledge of browsers is always a good thing), but it just doesn't feel right... for every little bit I need a new plugin. That's really annoying.
Heh, I know what you mean. I have 0 plugins for Opera (though I know you can use them), but I have like 6 for Firefox. To be fair, however, I only think two or three plugins are really all that necessary for FireFox. The rest I have just because they're fun.

Top 3... scratch that... Top *2* Important Firefox plugins:

Adblock Plus
NoScript

Yep, AdBlock is definatly a plugin one needs. I'm glad Opera has the filter.ini. It works really well.
NoScript is also very useful. But I think in Opera I just have to press F12 to turn off scripts.

That's right. And "editieren" is often used here (which clearly derives from Latin) as well, but mostly in a EDP context. However, to get to the "edit"-menu I have to press alt+B (for "Bearbeiten").
That's messed up. GERMAN WORD FOR EDIT BEGINS WITH E, BUT YOU PRESS B INSTEAD FOR ANOTHER GERMAN WORD HAVING TO DO WITH EDITING. I get it, I get it. #;-}>

Hehe. Yeah, the could as well write "Editieren" in the menu bar. ^^

Of course, in England and America, this is how the shortcut alt+_ letters go on our Opera menubars:

File Edit View Bookmarks Widgets Tools Help

I have Datei Bearbeiten Ansicht Lesezeichen Widgets Feeds E-Mail Extras Fenster Hilfe
Feeds and E-Mail are there because I subscribed to a few RSS-feeds (like nba.com ^^) and E-Mail because I also use Opera as an e-mail client.
I usually hide the "Widgets" since I don't use any but I have to do it again every time I update the browser. Which gets very annoying after a while...

I think that also derives from a Latin word (filum). But it's "Datei" in german. So that's why I have to use alt+D. ;)
I was leaning towards Latin as well, but I wasn't positive. Ahhh, data-derived menu title in German.... fascinating!

And of course, I know German has SOME Latin-derived words, but I was under the impression you have far less than English, since English is supposed to be half Germanic + half Latinate together, which would make it by definition more Latinate than German is. #;-}>

Englisch and German both derive from the same branch of languages (West Germanic languages). That's one of the reasons why it's not that hard for german people to learn english (and of course for english native speakers to learn german), because there are many similarities between those languages. ;)
But I really don't know which language contains more latin-derived words. I didn't learn latin, so often I don't even know that a word is latin-derived, until someone tells me. XD


I'm sure Spanish, French, and Italian have more than English does, in turn.

And that's why it would be good idea to learn latin first before learing those languages. Because then you have good knowledge of the basics of these languages. ^^

At 5/24/08 01:09 PM, Bahamut wrote: two epic posts.

Indeed epic posts. I have to admit that I didn't notice that little quarrel between you and Bonus (well, I did notice it, but I didn't pay much attention), but I have to say that I think that you are one of the greatest users that post here regularly. ;)


Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Perceptor
Perceptor
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 24th, 2008 @ 05:50 PM Reply

Englisch and German both derive from the same branch of languages (West Germanic languages). That's one of the reasons why it's not that hard for german people to learn english (and of course for english native speakers to learn german), because there are many similarities between those languages. ;)

If I may be so bold as to interject on this point, and I pray that you will forgive me for doing so should I appear to be speaking above my station, so to speak :), then perhaps I might be of assistance in this matter.

You are indeed correct to say that English and German are both Western Germanic languages thus facilitating the matter of the study of the one assuming a sound grasp of the other. However, as has been already cited within this page, English has absorbed a very considerable amount of Latinate vocabulary in the last 1,000 years or so since the Norman Conquest, for which reason it is something of an oddball within the Germanic family.

A recent study on this matter put the percentage of Latin based words in English (according to the O.E.D. at 28.24%, which when combined with the 28.3% acquired from Old French and Norman (themselves both offshoots of Latin), gives you a total of 56.54% of the total language. Both of these are more significant than the percentage attributed to Old English and various other related languages (Dutch, Old Norwegian etc.) at 25&. However, it is also expedient to bear in mind the fact that about four fifths of the most common words in English are of Germanic origin.

On the other hand, while German will indeed have adopted various portions of Latinate vocabulary into its lexicon over the course of time, it will be of a substantially lesser degree than its English counterpart. Indeed, if memory serves, the Germans had a rather charming characteristic when it came to the adoption of new vocabulary to describe new technologies. A good example is that of the word "television". For those countries whose languages were of Romance in origin, there was precious little reason wherefore the English word could not be adapted into their own lexicon by virtue of the fact that the English word is already somewhat Latinate in itself. The Germans, on the other hand chose to take the etymology of television and translate that into German thus giving them the word "Fernsehen".

Haggard
Haggard
  • Member since: Dec. 25, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 55
Writer
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 24th, 2008 @ 06:08 PM Reply

At 5/24/08 05:50 PM, Perceptor wrote: interesting stuff

Nice informations you have here. ;)
As I've already stated, I don't know how many latin-derived words there are in the german language. Could be far less than 25%, or could be a little less than 25%...

Indeed, if memory serves, the Germans had a rather charming characteristic when it came to the adoption of new vocabulary to describe new technologies. A good example is that of the word "television". For those countries whose languages were of Romance in origin, there was precious little reason wherefore the English word could not be adapted into their own lexicon by virtue of the fact that the English word is already somewhat Latinate in itself. The Germans, on the other hand chose to take the etymology of television and translate that into German thus giving them the word "Fernsehen".

Well, that "charming characterstic" developed to a very annoying habit of "everything that sounds like english is cool". For example, a mobile phone is called "handy". Sounds english (and is indeed a handy english word ;) ), but no one will understand me if I ask someone if he/she could lend me a "handy".
Also many companies tend to think that they are "cool" (or whatever you might call it) if they present an english slogan for their marketing. However, "Powered by emotion", "Come in and find out" or similar slogans will not be understood by many people. Especially the older generations can't speak that well, thus they will not understand those slogans, or translate them completly wrong.

But back to the word "television". The funny thing is that "TV" (for "television") is the common abbriviation for "Fernseher" in Germany. But no one would use the word "television" in common speech. ^^


Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Haggard
Haggard
  • Member since: Dec. 25, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 55
Writer
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 24th, 2008 @ 06:10 PM Reply

At 5/24/08 06:08 PM, Haggard wrote: but no one will understand me if I ask someone if he/she could lend me a "handy".

Let me rephrase that sentence... "No english speaking person will understand me if I ask..."
Sounds less confusing.


Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Perceptor
Perceptor
  • Member since: Nov. 3, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 24th, 2008 @ 06:25 PM Reply

Hmm, unfortunately, that does indeed appear to be a characteristic that is being copied around the world to a rather alarming extent, much to my chagrin. The Japanese are absolutely infamous therefor when it comes to a lot of contemporary culture. Personally, I have no objection to languages borrowing words and even set phrases from each other in order to better express some concepts not easily described in their own language. In fact, it is precisely this factor in English that makes me appreciate just how wonderfully adaptable it is. It's probably just as well, though, seeing as to someone who's used to Romance languages in which a verb can have upwards of 80 forms, English conjugation is deathly dull.

However, you are right when you say that a lot of what those German companies are using just doesn't make much sense. Were someone to ask me for the usage of a "handy", I would be more likely to pass them something with which to blow their nose.

My favourite example, however, of poor usage of English (specifically in translation) is that of a Coca Cola advert a few decades ago. Apparently, the slogan "Come alive to the Coca Cola generation" when translated into one particular language read something along the lines of "Coca Cola brings your dead relatives back to life."

ReconRebel
ReconRebel
  • Member since: Jun. 23, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Where is/How to? Memberlist May. 24th, 2008 @ 08:45 PM Reply

At 5/24/08 01:10 PM, Bahamut wrote: We shouldn't have our good reputation ruined due to bitterness from the older Wi/Ht?'ers.

I hate everyone equally. >:-(

They also made me think that the Wi/Ht? Regulars List should return.

Aliens and Star Trek II are good examples of sequels that did better than the originals.

At 5/24/08 01:25 PM, Casualty wrote: <Crowd chants>Bahamut! Bahamut! Bahamut!</Crowd chants>

Happy Birthday Bahamut!

At 5/24/08 02:03 PM, NEVR wrote:
At 5/24/08 01:09 PM, Bahamut wrote: 2-post speech
That's the kind of speech that make men cheer and women swoon. Very nice :)

... or put old farts to sleep. Wait a minute!

Well said Bahamut, but what was the middle part again? **wink**


Levels --- Badges
Chaos, panic and disorder; my work here is done.

BBS Signature