00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RYKEO just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anime Club

2,847,272 Views | 59,825 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-22 12:17:29

Watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, it took a lot to suspend my disbelief but it was a very good movie. All these movies I've watched lately seem to have bittersweet endings though.

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-22 12:35:54

At 2/22/11 12:17 PM, SomaGuye wrote: Watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, it took a lot to suspend my disbelief but it was a very good movie. All these movies I've watched lately seem to have bittersweet endings though.

Oh gee look at you. What next, SUMMER WARS?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-22 16:35:08

At 2/22/11 12:35 PM, Mendou wrote:
At 2/22/11 12:17 PM, SomaGuye wrote: Watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, it took a lot to suspend my disbelief but it was a very good movie. All these movies I've watched lately seem to have bittersweet endings though.
Oh gee look at you. What next, SUMMER WARS?

Oh gee look at that Mendou getting mad I'm watching popular anime rather than underappreciated gems whatever will occur next I wonder.

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-22 16:50:38

At 2/22/11 04:35 PM, SomaGuye wrote:
Oh gee look at that Mendou getting mad I'm watching popular anime rather than underappreciated gems whatever will occur next I wonder.

You fool, sarcasm will not work against me. I'm here to warn you, to warn you that you're in danger. Summer Wars? You know, that movie that you might have already seen, or going to soon? Summer Wars is actually a joke, a fraud, a fake.

As it's a confirmed ripoff of Digimon The Movie. You're merely watching the same film, you have to realize this before it's too late. Before poor saps like you, and so many others, fall victim to the same recycled garbage we see spewed out on a daily basis in this industry.

You have to believe me, and follow your heart.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-22 17:01:55

At 2/21/11 09:34 PM, UCanCallMeJesus wrote: Hmmm its hard choosing favorites.

Not sure if I posted this already, but here's mine:

Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-22 17:09:07

At 2/22/11 04:50 PM, Mendou wrote: You have to believe me, and follow your heart.

I waasn't going to watch it anyway because a guy on my facebook who has absolutely terrible taste in anime was going on about it coming out on DVD/BD, and as a rule I stay away from anything he likes.

But thank you for the advice Kubo-senpai.

Anime Club

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-22 20:17:30

Mendou, you're all right and all, but you and Kermit are making this shitty thread even worse with your "waaaaa you guys like really good anime that other people also like".

Maybe it's time for me to forget about this thread.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-22 23:06:40

At 2/22/11 08:17 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Mendou, you're all right and all, but you and Kermit are making this shitty thread even worse with your "waaaaa you guys like really good anime that other people also like".

Maybe it's something to do with jealousy that their favorite series aren't getting talked about and constantly overlooked, which to some degree, I would understand. But the way they talk down about "popular" anime, it's almost like they have a "fight the system" mentality when it comes to anime.

Maybe it's time for me to forget about this thread.

I simply just ignore them altogether, I'm going to watch anime that I want to watch, regardless of what they say. I don't want to drag this thread down any more with flame wars about anime, so simply put, we'll simply agree to disagree.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-22 23:46:03

At 2/21/11 11:32 PM, KermitTheMuppet wrote: Mighty fine selection of COWBOYS and BEBOP we've got going boys!

Also, Ghibli studios releases. Real original choices.

I was told that they where supposed to be our favorites not the most unknown anime we can think of. Who cares anyway Cowboy Bebop and all of the Studio Ghibi are nicely made and have good story lines; thats probably why a lot of people like them. Take the stick out of your ass bro.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-23 00:54:55

At 2/22/11 08:17 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Mendou, you're all right and all, but you and Kermit are making this shitty thread even worse

Bullshit, it's been awful for ages. Me making a fuss didn't do anything other than make it clear that it's the quality of the discussion. You can like whatever you like, but if it's all you talk about, then there's a problem.

People seem to have this little misunderstanding, that I hate what I haven't seen, and hate what's popular. I've pointed out that I've watched what I've come to dislike. And really, the latter is true to a certain degree, and you know what? Big deal. This industry has been releasing the same garbage for over a decade especially, and people just eat it up. It's the same with every other media industry. And some of the shows you guys point out? Guess what, I like them too. But you don't see me blabbering about the same shows, because I've made attempts to keep discussion up with titles that rarely get mentioned.

What's wrong with getting a little tired of talking about Durarara, or FMA? Why can't we talk about shows that get dismal attention? Like for example, I picked up the Tetsujin 28-go remake from 2004. Some may find the designs a little goofy since they pay homage to the series from the 60's. But it has such brilliant genre conventions, it's SR but it's not campy or formulaic. It's dark and it's themes still relevant to our world today. Same with Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood still. Which pulls it off with even more grandiose.

But that won't happen, something like T28 doesn't get brought up because everyone is so stuck in their comfort zone in this club. I think this show is wonderfully impressive, and I see no wrong in wanting shows like that being talked about more often. And speaking of which, at least Aigis brought up that Astro Boy remake, I should watch that, but I still need to watch the 80's versions first.

My god, let me make it a bit more clear for some of our more thickheaded users. You can watch whatever you want, and like whatever you want. But really when it's all that's being discussed. It's a terribly stagnant thing. This isn't about jealousy, it's imploring people to talk about new shows, ones that you're unfamiliar with, something you normally don't watch.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-23 01:01:47

At 2/23/11 12:08 AM, KermitTheMuppet wrote: Your tastes are unoriginal and consistent, like every other "anime fan" and the Cowboy Bebop/Studio Ghibli example paints that exact picture.

Kermit:

Anime Club

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-23 01:34:07

I've read some out of the way manga but I'm not sure if anyone would want to really discuss them even if they had read them, but for the sake of maybe trying to help prevent some of the aforementioned redundancy I guess I could try anyway.

Alright, so has anyone heard of Ikigami? I don't know if it has an anime adaptation yet but I think it's a fairly interesting concept in of itself. It's sort of like an anime in that they have short story arcs that span over a maximum of 3 chapters and each one is pretty engrossing. If you like it at the start it will only continue to please but if it doesn't click then trying to get into it won't work.

As far as Anime goes I recently watched a show called Shigurui which I think was a really visually stunning show with an interesting take on Japanese history that I think might appeal to some people. It takes a while to get into it though, and at first it might seem a tad sloppy but it comes together really well in the end IMO.

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-23 01:42:27

At 2/23/11 01:34 AM, Gobblemeister wrote:

As far as Anime goes I recently watched a show called Shigurui

That's been on my netflix instant stream queue for a while. Some reason I wasn't too sure about it, but it's only like 12-13 episodes. So not much will be lost if I didn't end up enjoying it. Could always use a nice, real samurai anime every once in a while.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-23 01:47:05

At 2/23/11 01:42 AM, Mendou wrote:
At 2/23/11 01:34 AM, Gobblemeister wrote:

As far as Anime goes I recently watched a show called Shigurui
That's been on my netflix instant stream queue for a while. Some reason I wasn't too sure about it, but it's only like 12-13 episodes. So not much will be lost if I didn't end up enjoying it. Could always use a nice, real samurai anime every once in a while.

The thing about it is that it's really weird but at the same time it almost feels more like that's just how it was during that time more than just outright bizarre. Not so much because of the show explicitly stating it but just how it carries itself.

It might take a good 4 episodes for it to really draw you in, I almost dropped it completely, but I think it's well worth it in the end.

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-23 02:07:55

At 2/23/11 01:05 AM, KermitTheMuppet wrote: Unfortunately, this is off the topic, and this sorta stuff belongs in the art club.

Oh, you're right, I apologise. This is the anime club.

Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-23 02:20:39

At 2/23/11 12:08 AM, KermitTheMuppet wrote:
I'll state it again: this club is redundant as hell, and you guys always make out the same stuff to be the only likely thing to talk about. Your tastes are unoriginal and consistent, like every other "anime fan" and the Cowboy Bebop/Studio Ghibli example paints that exact picture. Your "favorites" are practically identical to the next persons and it only encourages patternal thinking. Why don't you surprise this club sometimes? Give us a breath of fresh air?----Can't do that? Didn't think so.

Take the stick out of your ass bro.

As soon as you take the dick out of yours, bro.

My favorites are my favorites. Im not gonna exclude something from my favorite anime just because some one else likes it for the same reason I wouldn't exclude a anime because someone doesn't like it. imho the point of the cubes isn't to put in anime that isn't mainstream its just to put in anime that we liked the best. I chose NGE, Bokorono, Bebop, FLCL , Spirited Away, Durara, mushi-shi, mind game, and welcome to NHK. Most of those happen to be mainstream but if this is a honest assessment of my favorites then thats not really under my control. You can't just suddenly decide you hate something just because other people like it to. Most of the anime I watch just comes from recommendations from friends and people in this club. I have watched plenty of non mainstream stuff it just doesn't come up when I think of my favorite animes.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-23 02:25:33

At 2/23/11 01:47 AM, Gobblemeister wrote:

The thing about it is that it's really weird but at the same time it almost feels more like that's just how it was during that time more than just outright bizarre. Not so much because of the show explicitly stating it but just how it carries itself.

Yeah, I get what you mean there. Have you read Vagabond btw? That one doesn't look too bad, also need to read Lone Wolf and Cub sometime, whenever I get back into manga.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-23 03:24:16

Began reading the Music of Marie, and I'd classify it as steampunk/fantasy if anyone's interested. Usamaru Furuya does a great job at world-building and gives the manga an amazing atmosphere/mood; the art is beautiful and the characters are nice. Thought-provoking, too.

It's also short, only two volumes long, so it shouldn't take long to read it all.

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-23 04:08:35

People were making these so I thought I'd make one.

I may have put too many down.

Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-23 04:55:33

At 2/21/11 02:10 PM, Mendou wrote: Alright. I ended up watching Koi Kaze, and wow, this show came out of no where to me. At first glance it looks average, but the subject matter is pretty big. If you guys haven't heard of it, I won't spoil anything for you.

Just watched this tonight. Nice animation nice story line. It's a pretty sad show. I would imagine most people with strong moral values will have a hard time watching it. My morals are flimsy at best and there where a few moments where the only thing I could think was what the fuck is wrong with that guy. Keep a really open mind if you plan on watching this; if you don't you will hate it pretty fast. Definitely different from the stuff I normally see.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-23 06:34:23

At 2/23/11 04:08 AM, Aigis wrote: People were making these so I thought I'd make one.

Redline huh? God damn it when the fuck is that coming out on dvd?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-23 07:10:23

At 2/23/11 06:34 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:
At 2/23/11 04:08 AM, Aigis wrote: People were making these so I thought I'd make one.

Redline huh? God damn it when the fuck is that coming out on dvd?

Yesterday I think. Or are you talking about a Western release.

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-23 07:14:09

At 2/23/11 06:34 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Redline huh?

Uh huh. I saw it at an anime film festival about six months ago (along with some dumb film called King of Thorn).

Redline is probably some of the most fun I've ever had watching a film. It's amazing.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-23 08:36:36

bakemonogatari is more meaningful than the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya

Discuss.

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-23 08:55:03

At 2/23/11 07:10 AM, SomaGuye wrote: Yesterday I think. Or are you talking about a Western release.

Really? Awwww swell. Will have to keep my ears open in the next few days I guess.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-23 09:03:09

I just started watching Kure-nai again. I stopped watching it about halfway through last time because the episode I was up to gave me a corrupted file when I downloaded it, and I never got around to downloading it again.

It's good, but the dialogue written for Murasaki (in the first episode at least) is a little unnatural. And by that I mean a lot. Which is weird because all the other dialogue is done quite well.

I like the character designs and the animation as well, so I'll probably get through it this time.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-23 13:04:04

At 2/23/11 03:24 AM, towelie101 wrote: Began reading the Music of Marie, and I'd classify it as steampunk/fantasy if anyone's interested.

Well, I've just finished and it was an alright read. Like I said, it's provoking, and I found its theme/moral/etc to be somewhat relevant to the world. Too bad that the society envisioned there is a utopia that will never exist.

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-23 15:44:04

At 2/23/11 01:55 PM, KermitTheMuppet wrote: Why is Alucard considered to be such a great character?

I haven't seen much praise for him, but yeah, he isn't that good. Intergra, Walter, Rip van Wrinkle, Anderson -- they all make up for him.

He's impervious to everything, making Hellsing a very predictable action series since Alucard can run through everything without much tension or validity.

This I can agree with, it gets really boring when the MC is invincible. However, I mostly watch action series because I want to see badasses being badass. Plot comes second.

But I guess that doesn't apply to him because like all true action series, the main character has to be impossible to fend off.

Yep, you've got to have plot armor. I like how by the end of the Die Hard films, McClane barely has any sustaining injuries except for a broken arm/shoulder despite all the shit he's gone through.

Although it might not be the best of examples, I think Tsukihime handles vampires very well.

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-23 18:42:38

At 2/23/11 02:25 AM, Mendou wrote:
At 2/23/11 01:47 AM, Gobblemeister wrote:
Yeah, I get what you mean there. Have you read Vagabond btw? That one doesn't look too bad, also need to read Lone Wolf and Cub sometime, whenever I get back into manga.

I started to read Vagabond but I think I lost track of where I left off

It is in the same vein as Shigurui but a little less odd from my experience of it.

Response to Anime Club 2011-02-23 21:54:53

I re-watched Cyborg 009. This anime is beautiful, life is beautiful.

Maybe I should watch that 009-1 thing if it's related. I heard it has it's but looks like it has like some kind of "superspy" vibe.