00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Review Scores

40,455 Views | 444 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:35:13

i like that idea Tom its faster instead of having 7 boxes which is such a drag.

Need advice? Visit the RELATIONSHIP CREW!

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:36:44

I think maybe their should be an Animation, Sound, Originality, Storyline, and Overall score. That would be easier to use and not too specific.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:36:47

At 10/11/06 04:35 PM, DarkSoldier wrote: i like that idea Tom its faster instead of having 7 boxes which is such a drag.

Jesus, it's called being lazy to not give any thought about the other catagories.

The only thing they're good for though is the top 10 catagories, they're essentially useless, I say ditch them.

I mean, a lot of the time people just shove all 10s into a review, it's stupid.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:37:05

Yeh, great idea Tom. Not much point in having all those other boxes really.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:38:18

Well I always judge stuff with the style and graphics especially. I think style is probably the most important one.

I was thinking about the reviews the other day, and check how IMDB does it. They have both user reviews (or the forum instead at the bottom) and they also have links to proffesional reviews. Maybe there should be some sort of divide so some reviews would be catagorized a more proffesional, but there is also all the dumb ones there too.

I'm not to sure even what I mean.. but check how IMDB does it anyway :).

WEBSITE

BLOG ~ Dont fuck around with my dog. All that I can see I steal. ~

NG FFR ~ Automatic for the people.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:38:37

We have been considering simplifying the review criteria, namely, the individual scores. Going through the different score dropdowns feels like a hassel and some of the criteria feels really dated. For example, we have a score for VIOLENCE... Why the hell do we have a score for violence?

I don't know why you have one...

Why don't you just take away the violence?

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:38:41

THANK YOU! every time I write a review i have to drop down those menus and it ANNOYS ME TO NO END, i think if there were only like 3, including the overall, then that would be awesome. one for humor, seriousness, and then overall. that would make this site even better, i think

People call me crazy. I call them boring. It's a vicious cycle...

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:39:05

i think its an alright idea. its kind of hard to know what to give each one. Like sound, or interactivity. although my opinion probally wont be noted or anything, id still like just an overall score.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:39:35

I think they should stay. It is more critical to rate a flash.
It is a suggestion, but maybe you can explain what you mean under the subjects " Graphics, Sound, Interactivity, Style, Violence, Humor".

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:39:57

I'd like to the score system simplified as well. Not to necessarily nix everything but the overall score menu, but you're right Tom, the violence score is definately dated, and the interactivity option just seems pointless on so many movies. Maybe that particular option can be available to games only or something.
But yes, some (not quite all) probably need to be taken out of the system. But hey, I could live with just the one overall score too.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:42:49

Or tom, another idea is to expand on the categories, so instead of just "Graphics" you have "Effectiveness of graphics" or "Effectiveness and quality of graphics"

And instead of "Style" you could have "Style and originality of overall movie/game"

I've thought about these thing before, once I thought about offering a checkbox for categories (when you submit), however changing all the reviews would be a pain.

But anyway i do think humor and violence should be removes, and gameplay should be part of game reviewing box, and style should be replaced with "Originality" or "Style/Originality"

Just some food for thought

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:44:17

im thinking

animation, graphics, sound, style, humor

drop violence and interactvity and add animation,some flash could have great graphics and have them tweened across the screen

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:45:57

I like the diea of symplifing. Filling all the boxes can be tedious. Us lazy folk don't want to have to click anymore tiems than we have to :D.
I would do, originality, sound, overall. But make them not show up in the review if there not put down :D.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:46:13

At 10/11/06 04:34 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: If anything, I think there should be different categories for games and movies

GAMES:

Gameplay
Controls
Originality
Overall

MOVIES:

Graphics
Entertainment
Originality
Overall

I dont think somebody is gonna be mulling over all their individual scores per review. If somebody has something special to say about the graphics or entertainment value, they can include that in a review.

Tom and I have been working on something hmmm????

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:48:24

I thought about it for a long time, when I was still reviewing, there are a lot of silly catagories, however, merging it all to one single "overall" is, to my opinion, not the right thing to do. There should be a change, but the change should be in the catagories themselves, I suggest you put these catagories:

Script\screenply- or whatever you want to call it. It will be instead of the humour section which sometimes has no use when it is a serious movie. I think that the script of every movie is very important to the overall evaluation of the submission.

Directing-Which will come instead of the style and violence that god knows what they are for. I have never really understood the real meaning of style, so I reviewed the directing instead. In my opinion, this is also very neccessery in order to review the movie well. The sound can get in here either, since it donates a lot to the atmosphere and is actually a directing tool, but it can also get in it's own catagory.

Graphics- This will stay, because I think it is really important. In submissions like "The YuYu" it is clear that the artist has invested a lot of time in the graphics, and it is the thing that makes this movie.

Overall- The overall view at the movie, which I agree is important.

This is what I think should happen with the catagories, as a past reviewer I know that these catagories are much better than the old ones...

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:49:01

well i would say you can definitely drop some of the categories, but down to only one? i would suggest making it more like 3-4 categories

tre

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:50:59

At 10/11/06 04:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: we have a score for VIOLENCE... Why the hell do we have a score for violence?

My thoughts exactly.

Maybe just try simpilfying it?

I.e. Graphics Animation Sound Overall

A Bedtime Tale | 1 | 2 | 3 |

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:51:32

I think that's going a little too far. I think you should just take out violence, humor, and interactivity, as some flashes could still be amazing without fitting these points in criteria.

As for graphics, I think it should be changed to animation. Sound is okay, and style is also a pretty good category, though a tad vague.

But hey, that's just my opinion, it's your site, after all =P

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:51:45

At 10/11/06 04:34 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: GAMES:

Gameplay
Controls
Originality
Overall

MOVIES:

Graphics
Entertainment
Originality
Overall

Good idea, but i'd like to know how they would convert all the thousands of current reviews.
having different categories for games and movies is actually a good idea.

I hope my sig dosen't come out distorted

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:53:56

How about radiobuttons, to eliminate the dropdown thing? One click rather than two.

Review Scores

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:55:08

Just one overall review score sounds good.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:55:10

i like it the way it was. it's not that much work :P

due to my game being on newgrounds and getting alot of attention, my dad has started browsing the site... don't ask

so my dad asked why there was a thing for 'violence' he asked "is violence good or something? why am i rating it for violence" heh, yeah, seems a little silly. could be changed up a little bit i guess, but i like being able to individually pick the things out...

blobstagramblobsite

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:56:35

At 10/11/06 04:53 PM, Denvish wrote: How about radiobuttons, to eliminate the dropdown thing? One click rather than two.

That one looks great in my opinion.

If you are to simplify it, I would keep the sound as an point to decide.
The Audio Artists would probably like to see how well people like their music if they are used in a submission.
It will also give a general impression on how good the Voice acting was for that particular movie.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 16:59:32

Oh so it hasn't been updated yet? Lol.

Signature

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 17:00:54

At 10/11/06 04:27 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Tom, if i were you i would just do

Originality
Entertainality
Overall

dont forget graphics and
humor...

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 17:00:59

You should just include: Graphics, originality and a overall score.

My name is pepeatumi... But you already knew that!

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 17:01:45

How about we just have:

Graphics
Sound
Humour
Overall

Thoughts?

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 17:03:08

At 10/11/06 04:31 PM, TomFulp wrote:

Originality
Entertainality
Overall
Hmmmm... Entertainality....

Maybe we should have a drag bar where one side is a crying person and the other is a laughing person. This determines whether the submission makes you laugh, or if it makes you sad... Or if it's just somewhere in between. :)

That idea seems like the best because many flashes are just great animation like Adam Phillips though its not funny or sad so you could have in the center a neutral Pico.
Another thing you guys need to fix is the Admin text, it hurts my eyes and maybe you could just make it a sign underneath your name...you could probably do that for all the statuses except vagrant and ng user.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 17:03:13

At 10/11/06 05:00 PM, jacktherack wrote:

Originality
Entertainality
Overall
dont forget graphics and
humor...

not everything needs good graphics to be good
not everything needs humor to be good

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-11 17:04:08

I would have: