00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Pawnwolf just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Review Scores

40,500 Views | 444 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-14 16:35:09

At 10/11/06 04:26 PM, TomFulp wrote:
It doesn't seem like anyone is really looking at the individual scores and they aren't being put to use elsewhere, so we're leaning towards just having the single OVERALL score. Instead of dealing with seven dropdown boxes, you can just write your review and pick a single number between 1 and 10 to represent your final opinion.
Thoughts?

good idea tom! the other rating buttons were getting kind of annoying and just 1 overall score button would be better.

> z0r. (Random, and possibly NSFW.)

> Sig by lopas1.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-14 17:48:56

The violence catagory in the review seems to go along with the old newgrounds saying of The problems of future today instead of the new Everything By Everyone. Getting rid of that just goes along with what has been changing as of late, so it'd be dumb not to change it.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-14 20:32:35

I'm fine with any Change you guys make.

NG UOTD 2/4/11 | I run a Minecraft server. | Con los terroristas

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-14 21:07:06

we have a score for VIOLENCE... Why the hell do we have a score for violence?

It doesn't seem like anyone is really looking at the individual scores and they aren't being put to use elsewhere, so we're leaning towards just having the single OVERALL score. Instead of dealing with seven dropdown boxes, you can just write your review and pick a single number between 1 and 10 to represent your final opinion.

Thoughts?

i think we need to have like a score on artwork story sound and originality we dont really need a violence score like you said but if we just had one score it be a little too narrow but hey you guys do what you want

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-14 23:01:01

Yea. You don't need to have other things to rate.

Typing= solves all problems. Why have multiple boxes to show what you thought about the flash... when you could actually TELL THEM what you liked about it.

If you put like 8 for graphics, 3 for sound, blah, blah, and blah then why can't you just type that out instead of click? Although it'd be nice to be able to have it optionally and have a search for highest rated humor or the such :O

And I still say NG's isn't divided enough... You have video.. and audio. (portal wise... and even if they do have "games" sections.... it's only what they've decided to be put there.) Movie and games portals would be easier... but owell.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-14 23:16:11

What I would do it give it an update, but I wouldn't chop everything off.
I like the idea that someone said about it being optional. Running with that, I would say have a text box for an overall review and a 1-10 drop down box next to it. Below that will be a series of optional text boxes for those who wish to go deeper than the overall and analyze the flash more with preset [or user created?] categories plus their drop down boxes.

You know how video games are sort of rated and it is broken up into categories? For Sound, Graphics, Gameplay, Replay Value. Have something similiar for that and then when it actually posts have it segregate the sections having maybe their own little boxes around them or something. For convinience. Thing about user created names their is the fear of abus and making a category like "Crappiness: 10".

Hey it is your call, but I have no problems at all with the current review system, if you eager to change it I hope you take into account the ideas I put out. I just think that you should allow reviews to go more in depth with their reviews than limiting them.

Maximus Decimus Meridius

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-15 01:07:54

I think you should allow for us to see all the numbers and just clicking one instead of having to scroll down a stupid list.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-15 01:43:13

Actually, I think the idea kicks. We wouldn't have to waste time doing and besides the other half of the time we are putting in random numbers. I would agree with making it just one OVERALL score.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-15 04:34:03

that is a good idea it would make reviewing so much faster

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-15 11:32:09

At 10/14/06 07:00 AM, Cyclopentic wrote: How about just adding a N/A option to put in the sections that may not apply (eg: Violence, Humour, etc)?

I totally agree. There should be an N/A choice for us lazy ones, and the mini sections for those of us who like to go into detail.
The submit option should only ever tell the person to go back and give a dropdown score, if the Overall dropdown hasn't been filled.

That's my opinion anyway, a comprimise.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-15 12:29:05

We have been considering simplifying the review criteria, namely, the individual scores. Going through the different score dropdowns feels like a hassel and some of the criteria feels really dated. For example, we have a score for VIOLENCE... Why the hell do we have a score for violence?

at least keep style and graphics man there the importatnat ones

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-15 16:07:50

To be honest, I prefer the current method. Quite a few people at present will write a review, leave all the marks and write "I enjoyed it, well done!". It saves the effort of typing a big review and allows people to have their say without writing a short essay. It allows for constructive criticism for the author without it being complex for the viewer. Besides which, it has worked fine for the five or six years I've been using Newgrounds, and it has worked fine so far, so why change it? Just my opinion.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-15 16:54:32

Just get rid of interactivity. Otherwise, everything else is fine!

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-15 18:07:13

That's be a hell of a lot better!

Let's all catch thumbtacks on our bare eyes!

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-15 22:47:06

make the specific scores optional, and a button while reading a review to list more detailed scores

example:

This movie was Really Good! Score:9

I loved this movie the visuals were awesome!

(after clicking button underneath or beside)
Graphics:10 Sound:7 Violence:4 blablabla

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-16 06:51:50

Sure you could clean up everything except the overall score, but there are still some areas such as sound and graphics that are still important when it comes to reviewing a submission. Maybe the only area that needs to be taken off is violence.

The deeper you delve, the more strategizing is involved.

BBS Signature

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-16 19:33:55

Great idea, those pull-down menus are annoying.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-16 19:39:28

i use the drop down's, but if you want to change it i'll get over it.

Lets Brawl! 4081-5194-2450

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-17 02:22:27

Go for it.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-17 17:59:00

naw, I like to know specifically what the riviewer liked about my flash. He could have liked the content but thought that the graphics sucked ass. But, yeah, the violence part is utterly pointless.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-17 18:32:47

I like the idea. I think it's weird to vote 0 on something like violence simply because none was in there, it makes the review seem negative. But voting 10 on something that wasn't there, it seems weird. Maybe there should be just quality, entertainment, sound, and overall.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-17 20:40:47

Yes, make it simpler! That would be awesome!

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-18 00:35:52

At 10/11/06 04:34 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: If anything, I think there should be different categories for games and movies

GAMES:

Gameplay
Controls
Originality
Overall

MOVIES:

Graphics
Entertainment
Originality
Overall

I totally agree with this. Relevant and simple. One primary category (Overall) and three sub-categories based on whether or not the submission is a game or a video. However, graphics are a large part of a game, and should probably figure into the scoring somehow. Hmm, maybe four sub-categories? I would lean more towards not having optional review fields, just for the sake of standardization and K.I.S. (Keeping It Simple)

Whatever happens, this change has been sorely needed for a long time - it has my full support! (for what it's worth!)

I'd much rather be optimistic and wrong than pessimistic and right.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-18 08:28:36

Make it optional. I like having different aspects of the Flash rated. If some people don't care for it then don't force them to fill it all out but many people leave well written reviews and it helps me to see what each catagory got in their reviews.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-18 08:34:12

I think we should just keep Overall. Anyways, most people will talk about Graphics, Sounds and all that, in their review. So you can just tell by yourself what they think. And most of the people who won't talk about graphics, sound, interactivity... Will simply put 0 everywhere or 10 everywhere. So I think it's a good idea to keep Overall only

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-18 13:16:05

At 10/18/06 12:35 AM, CrimsonGear wrote:
At 10/11/06 04:34 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: If anything, I think there should be different categories for games and movies

GAMES:

Gameplay
Controls
Originality
Overall

MOVIES:

Graphics
Entertainment
Originality
Overall

I totally agree with this. Relevant and simple. One primary category (Overall) and three sub-categories based on whether or not the submission is a game or a video. However, graphics are a large part of a game, and should probably figure into the scoring somehow.

Solution: Merge Gameplay with Controls into one Gameplay (I don't care if it's innovative, if it plays like crap then it doesn't deserve a good score), and add Graphics, keeping it with 3.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-18 16:09:28

I like that idea. I find that most of the score options seems irrelevant. Or if not that reduce the number of options to three, like "graphics, sound, overall" for example.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-18 17:04:07

for someone who is learning flash i think that the individual scores can be very usefull because it shows them where they went wrong, but at the same time they are an annoyance to anyone leaving a review. it should be up to the reviewer to decide what they want to do, if an annimation had particulary good sound they should be able to put a 9 or a 10 for sound, or if the annimation was terible that information should be easy to provide as well. the way to do it would be to leave the system as it is, but not make it mandatory to fill in every category in order to submit the review.

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-18 17:21:33

Thoughts?

i think the overall score should manatory and the indivaval should be optional

Response to Review Scores 2006-10-18 17:28:15

well yea mybe we should have a simple overall box, but we should stil have the things like Graphics, Music & style